Affairs of the Lylat System

Star_Dragon

Drake sips on his Vodka while waiting for an update on the fleet action in Fiend territory. He finally looks to Jasper and asks, "From one soldier to another... do you know of anything in that area that would be motive enough for someone to take it over?"

*     *     *     FIEND BASE     *     *     *

Markus, having been receiving nothing but excellent reports from his Marine forces securing the Fiend base, retired to his quarters and left his Holographic XO - the Sangheili he'd learned to call Voro 'Mantakar - in command with orders not to disturb him unless the report was urgent. That done, he slumped out of his uniform and laid down for a nap.

Voro, as ordered, assumed command. Reports he was getting indicated that the Starship Construction Yard the Fiends had here was secure, and the base was rapidly getting there. While waiting for word that the last of the Fiends on the station were taken care of, Voro sent two Venator Assault Cruiser-Carriers - the Mirak Swarm and the Angry Hornet to investigate some odd readings near the base.

(9)_Venator-class_Assault_Cruiser-Carrie

(9) Venator-class Assault Cruiser-Carrier.png

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Star_Dragon

• Shmibli7

• Arminius H O Fiddywinks

• KazeKat

He looks it over. Two possibilities came to mind.

"Hostages, maybe." He said, looking at him. "Or information. Maybe this is the first step in a very secret war... In which case, I will be very busy."

He realized he hadn't introduced himself.

"Jasper Hiiahishi, Cornerian Secret Service."

"Drake Indari, Dragon'taan Marauder Corps," Drake repeated his earlier introduction. When he heard Jasper's possible explanations, he said, "Hostages, unlikely - Markus doesn't take prisoners unless he has reason to. Raiders like that don't fall into that category; Information, possibly, though I can't imagine what intel Raiders like the Fiends would have that a militant like Markus would want." Drake looked over his shoulder at Nadir. "What about you?" he asked him. "Know anything in that area that would be of any value to a militant like Markus?"

"In my understanding of raiders, Mr. Indari,  they often have secrets, a bigger plan to up the ante. If they find a listening post or trade documents, I won't be surprised. Raiders are strangely complex people. I should know, before I came to Corneria I was one." Jasper says.

Drake nodded in agreement. "If that's the case, I won't be surprised either. But it doesn't explain that," he said, indicating the repeating News report of the UAC assault on the Fiends. "The Markus Tokarev I know wouldn't just decide to take a base like that. It would have to have had something of extraordinary value for him to even consider it." Drake paused, an idea forming. "Do you know of what was in that region? Repair or refit yards? Construction docks? Any kind of logistical stations?"

"There's a construction dock, along with a few refineries there." Jasper said. "None of them particularly large or important."

He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a case of cigarettes. Pulling out his lighter, he lights one.

"But, do we know of anything important that Tokarev would have wanted?"

"Construction dock...?" Drake repeated. "Construction dock... what kind of construction dock?"

*     *     *     ELSEWHERE IN LYLAT     *     *     *

Katina. Home of one of the CDF's several bases, and a hotbed of mercenary activity ever since the end of the Aparoid Invasion. Since the end of the aforementioned invasion, the CDF had been hard-pressed to patrol the regions under it's jurisdiction. So, CDF began loosening it's purse to offer mercenary contracts. Some of the mercs were little more than cutthroat pirates. Others were good, honest men and women.

Captain Viktor Drakona was one such man.

A modified N'Kal-class Bird-of-Prey, the Dragon, dropped out of warp speed over Katina. It wasn't the largest ship at 300 meters to grace the stars, but it had seen a lot of action.

Dropping out of warp next to it was a Defender-class Light Corvette, ID transponder labeling it as the Defender.

"Well, here we are - Katina," Kabier commented.

"Let's just hope this contact of yours is legit," Viktor said. "That last op was... unsettling."

"Oh, come on, Viktor - how was I supposed to know--" Kabier protested.

"Kabby, I'm not holding it against you," Viktor assured his lioness girelfriend. "But I came too close to losing you on that last op. I want to be careful this time."

There was a pause before Kabier said softly over the channel, "I love you, too, baby."

Without another word, the two companion ships made for Katina to settle in orbit.

"Nothing huge." Jasper said. "Transport class ships, Space Cruisers. My department of interplanetary intelligence launched an investigation a few years ago. We found nothing unusual. However, that could have changed"

"So they're starship construction docks," Drake surmised. He nodded slightly, calculating in his head. "That could explain Markus's sudden interest. He has the equipment with which to refit those docks to produce much more, shall we say... drastic results. If that is the case..." he returned his attention to the news report. "... It would seem that Markus has found his staging grounds for his operations in this system. If he can restore and refit those construction docks, as seems likely, then he can bolster his fleet. And you said there were also refineries there, right?"

*     *     *     FIEND BASE     *     *     *

Markus was awakened with the intercom suddenly requested, "Lord-Admiral, please report to the bridge." Markus grumbled, got out of bed, dressed in uniform, and marched onto the bridge.

"Ah, Lord-Admiral," Voro said, "Two of our cruisers have found something of interest."

"What did they find?" Markus asked.

"A trio of refineries, a cluster of resource-rich asteroids, and a trading post," Voro answered. "The Asteroids and refineries seemed to be manned by drone workers - which were inactive at the time we found them - but the Trading Post was, though absent of any enemy presence, filled with a hoard of goods, illegal and otherwise."

"Mmm..." Markus hummed as he stroked his chin. Finally, he came to a decision. "Contact CDF High Command. Tell them of our contracts, what has taken place here, what we have found, and request instructions. And while we wait on word from them... Get me an inventory of what's on that station. Is the Fiend station secure?"

"Yes, Lord-Admiral," Voro answered.

"Good. Get the Engineer Corps in here, we have work to do. They're gonna be busy enough just restoring everything to our standards," Markus commanded.

"By your command, Lord-Admiral," Voro replied.

*     *     *     CORNERIA     *     *     *

"We've had a new update with the UAC Fleet Action at the Fiend Base," the CNM Anchorman reported after yet another commercial break, "Reporters in the field are now reporting that the area we all have been calling Fiend space has been secured by Coalition Forces. Reports have indicated that all Fiend warships have been destroyed, no survivors. All Fiend stations are secure, and a number of Fiends on board the stations have surrendered and are being transported to CDF Custody. We also managed to catch up with a CDF Mercenary Liaison, who had this to say:"

The screen switched to a middle-aged canine, who had a heavy accent. "What do you know of this Lord-Admiral Tokarev?" the reporter asked.

"I don't claim to know 'im - I barly met the lad no mar than six hours a'go. Even then, I didn't know he was a Lard-Admiral, much less know he had the guts to pull off something like this," the Liaison responded.

"But you still contracted him to take out the Fiends?" the reporter asked.

"Well, technically, yes - but at farst, we contracted wit' 'im ta take out the Fiend leadership," the Liaison explained. "CDF HighCom figured if we could get someone to knock off tha Fiend leadership, tha Fiends would be a bit quieter, and 'least buy us a small breather. Then, that Tokarev lad comes by, offerin' just that. But when we mentioned ta steer clear of their base, find some way ta lure them away, tha lad suddenly asked us why not take tha Fiends out of tha equation entirely. I explained ta him that the base was a fortress - a deathtrap. I thought tha lad was getting delusions of grandeur, thought he was bluffin' - so I called him on it, offered ta triple the pay and deliver it in addition ta tha bounty contract if he managed to pull it off."

"You didn't think he could do it?" The reporter queried.

"Lass, I don't think anyone thought he could do it, much less pull off a move like that," the Liaison responded. "But what's mar, is that the attack the lad pulled off - it was far too organized far him ta be the usual sart of mercenary. This lad, whoever he is, is very well-connected, well-coordinated."

"Is CDF HighCom gonna pay him like you said they would?" the reporter inquired.

"Oh, definitely - in fact, I think HighCom may consider Makus and his Coalition for future contracts regardin' much larger targets. Like those Pirates out at Sargasso," the Liaison answered. "Since Markus and his Coalition took that base, it puts them right on Sargasso's doorstep."

The screen switched back to the Anchorman. "Well, if the CDF does decide to coordinate with Lord-Admiral Tokarev and his forces, the Pirates in Lylat are in trouble. In other news..." Drake smiled and shook his head, then sipped on his Vodka.

"At least the man is keeping busy," he commented.

"Yes, there are refineries there. Mainly for raw metals." He said as he puffed on his cigarette. "If you'll excuse me." He said, getting up. He walks outside of the bar and pulls his cell phone and calls his department of the Secret Service. The phone had a chip which secured the line so no other interested parties could listen to the conversation.

"Yes, this is special agent Hiiahishi." He says, "I'm fine, the meeting with our contact is set for the next hour. However, there has been an interesting development. I've come into contact with the suspected pirate Nadir. Should I proceed as planned or make another arrangement?"

His department's head gave him his orders.

"Very well, sir. Hiiahishi out." He says, then hangs up and walks back inside the bar. He sat where he was before, but eyed Nadir down and kept his hand near the shoulder holster under his coat.

(Might wanna slow down a bit - give the others time to catch up.)

(Woah a lot to catch up on.)

Nadir just quietly listened.

"Yeah is construction dock all right." He chimed in. " I was back there on 'business' about a week ago. They had something pretty huge there, and it wasn't just a ship." He wasn't about to tell these two about what he knows. The weaponry and plans they had there was something Nadir was planning to steal. It was new and advanced, the weapon was attached to the side of a large war cruiser. The cruiser would turn and face port side toward a planet, as soon as the cruiser lines up a beam is fired out. It would send out an iron pulse that would disable an entire planet. Weapons, electronics, communications, you name it. Not really anyone knew about these plans except Nadir, and of course the thugs building it. It's also safe to say that Markus also knows.

Nadir sighed, putting his cigarette out and watched Jasper leave the bar. He knew he had to get out of there and fast. Cornerian Special Agent? That is bad news, he has caused tons of trouble for them lately and he is certain Jasper knows by now. 

As soon as he sat down Nadir felt Jasper eye him up. He watched him slide his hand into his jacket. 'Great.' Nadir thought. He will just play it cool for now. Nadir specializes in CQC so him being so close doesn't concern him, he is ready for anything at this point. 

"I'll see you gentleman later." He smirked as he stood up. He tossed his money for the tab and paid for his two new 'friends' then Nadir gave Jasper a hard pat on his back. "Not today pal, you wouldn't dream of trying it in this bar. You and I both know how badly this would end." He past and turned to Drake holding out his hand for a shake, "Nice to meet you two." He casually walked out of the bar. Once outside Nadir picked up his phone and called his buyer as he made his way to his car, "Hey-yeah, seems like there is going to be a bit of a delay on these plans. Not sure if you took a look at the news lately. Payment still ten million credits? Good, You'll hear from me soon." He ended the call and leaned onto his car. "Crap this is going to be a pain now." He rubbed his temples.

(KazeKat, did you mean "Ion Pulse" or did you put it "Iron Pulse" intentionally?)

*     *     *     FIEND BASE - AKA MANTAKAR STATION     *     *     *

While the UAC Engineering Corps went about restoring and refitting everything that had been damaged in the attack, Markus went over the manifest of the goods found on the station. Of particular interest were apparently designs for an interesting superweapon. A quick search of the debris field of Raider ships revealed that the War Cruiser that this weapon had been attached to had been severely damaged in drydock, though the weapon itself remained more or less undamaged. Some of the engineers quickly removed and stored the weapon for later analysis, then moved the vessel by way of tow tugs to clear way for the drydock refits. Markus was particularly disturbed that such a weapon was found in Fiend possession, but relieved that it was now in his hands. Whether or not it was going to be destroyed remained yet to be seen. For now, it was locked away within the Fiend station, now being called Outpost Mantakar. The refineries were already up and running, the resource asteroids being mined safely by the drones, and the ill-gotten goods were being packed up and loaded onto a number of UAC Warships for transport back to Corneria, so that the CDF could see to it that the goods got back to their original owners, whoever they may be and if they yet live.

*     *     *     CORNERIA     *     *     *

Drake finished his Vodka, tipped the bartender, and followed Nadir out of the bar, catching him in time to see him rubbing his temples as though irritated. "Did you have friends in that area that is now under UAC control? Or was there something there that was of interest to you?" Drake asked as he walked over.

( Is Iron Pulse wrong? Lol... I meant it. In reference to a Star Wars episode, sort of based it off that. Just a little more devastating. ) 

Nadir knew he was going to be followed. Didn't expect it to be Drake. He took a deep breath, "Look you seem nice, your friend Markus just caused me a whole lot of trouble." He shifted his weight to get into his car. "I'll cause you just as much trouble if you meddle in this. You don't need to know. Trust me." He got into his car and rolled the driver side window down. He sighed once again. He almost felt bad just because the guy knew Markus and he now has his hands on a powerful weapon. That Nadir is just going to sell to the highest bidder. 

(I think what you were going for was the Ion Cannon. Those do EMP damage as you described. Just two shots from the cannon was enough to disable an Imperator-I [or II, it's hard to tell them apart] Star Destroyer. Or perhaps the Ion weapon from the Clone Wars was what you were referencing?)

"Don't be a fool," Drake warned. "Few who ever crossed Lord-Admiral Markus Tokarev live to regret it. A direct frontal assault on the UAC would be suicide. Knowing Markus, he'll either destroy the weapon or incorporate it into his fleet. It's probably better that Markus now has whatever it is you're after. He's a good man. Play your cards right, you could get on his good side. Take it from someone who knows him, there are definite perks that come with being an ally of the UAC." Drake said nothing more as he shifted to dragon form and took off into the sky.

Jasper runs out of the bar and draws his .57. He levels and fires four shots in rapid succession at the car Nadir was in. When Nadir got away, he flags down a local and throws him out of his car. Getting in, he follows Nadir. He would catch him. What he would do when he did, he had no clue.

Cornerian Sensors registered four shots near a bar in the city, and it didn't take long for Cornerian Police to find and give chase to Jasper, not having a clue who he was.

*     *     *     KATINA     *     *     *

Viktor and Kabier, a human dragon-shifter and a Liiraan Lioness, strolled through the base on Katina. Both of them were armed, and lesser NCOs almost instinctively moving out of the way.

"Why is it that everywhere we go, people look scared ****less of us?" Viktor murmured to Kabier.

"Not everyone in Lylat is used to seeing a heavily-armed couple in their midst, dear," Kabier chuckled. "We look like Bonnie and Clyde to them - with fully-loaded assault rifles."

"But Bonnie and Clyde were criminals of Earth, not Lylat," Viktor said with a confused frown.

Jasper laughs slightly at the police cars behind him. All he needed to do was throw them for a loop and he'd be free of them.

He pulls the stick back, violently and quickly pulling behind the police cars. He then turns down an ally and races down it. He sees Nadir's car and rams into it.

Nadir see's Jasper behind him firing shots. "Great!!" He huffed. He then saw police lights flashing. "Double great..." Nadir tries to shake them to only get rammed by Jasper. Impact dizzying both of them the cops shortly followed. Nadir grunts palming his head. He flops out of the car door. Focusing on his damage vehicle. "I just got this car!" he barked. "Freaking Cornerian agents!" silently thanking the gods he wasn't hurt badly. Quickly began to press a few buttons on something that looked similar to a wrist watch. He's been in worse.

Cornerian police now aiming at both of them. Nadir let out a hearty chuckle, "All right! You got me!" 

Jasper had the gun fixated on Nadir since he flopped out of the car. "Drop the weapon!" The police were shouting at Jasper still not knowing who it was. Seconds later vibrations began to slightly shake everything in the area. A blaring noise of a jet soon followed. An aircraft that was similar to the Wolfen bronze and black in color slowly descended blocking the cops and Jasper. Wind blowing everywhere making it impossible to keep your eyes open. Nadir clambered into his aircraft while it was still hovering. As the cockpit door began to close Nadir shouted one last thing. "I'll be seeing you again real soon, I can guarantee that!" The ship burst out of the area and toward the sky knocking just about every cop over who wasn't bracing themselves. 

Nadir sighed and kissed his watch, "Worth every penny." He put on his HUD and adjusted it on his head. He punched in some coordinates and set it for auto pilot. He was headed toward Venom for his contact.

(Take it easy, you two. As I said, I want no incidents, especially not this early into the RP.)

(No, you're good - just remember what I said in the presentation topic regarding violence. Violence against NPCs you control, I don't mind. As we have seen, I am privy to that myself. Violence against other players is what worries me.)

*     *     *     VENOM     *     *     *

Outside the area known as Venom, well beyond the sensor range of the remnants of Andross's forces and the Pirates that call that place home, a starship dropped out of warp. It was small, just over 300 meters, with the distinct, winged look with an olive-drab hull color.

A K'Vort-class Bird-of-Prey.

Before anyone had a chance to see the ship, it shimmered and vanished, as though it never were.

Andrew wasn't particularly fond of the IKV Firebrand, but he did admit, it was a damn good scout ship. With the refits he made, it could use warp drive, deploy shields and fire weapons while under cloak.

"Cloaking device engaged, Captain," his tactical officer chimed.

"Do Venomian forces suspect?" Andrew asked.

The officer paused, then answered, "Negative, captain. It's doubtful they even have the equipment to detect cloaked ships, and even if they did, our cloaking device gives off nothing that allows them to detect us."

"Very well. Full stealth approach. Let's see what's here," Andrew said.

Few willingly ventured to Venom. Fewer still returned alive. Andrew was merely exploring, seeing what this Lylat System had to offer, but he was doing so... subtly. He didn't want to risk an open confrontation, not yet. And after hearing about the major fleet movement in Fiend Territory, Andrew was a bit on edge.

(Sorry. Got carried away.)

Jasper flashes his badge to the police officers.

"Special Agent Hiiahishi with the Cornerian Secret Service!" He yells, then holsters his weapon. He then starts to walk back to the Grand Lylat Hotel. Even though Nadir got away, he wasn't his main concern.

Drake lands just shy of the Grand Lylat Hotel, shifts back into normal form, and heads inside. The clerk at the desk, having both seen Drake before and seen him shift outside, smiled and shook his head. "Seems Tokarev isn't the only one going for a coup d'effect," he chuckled.

"Nice to see you, too, Jerry. They still serving lunch?" Drake asked.

"They just started," Jerry answered. "Chow down."

Drake glanced at the TV, still showing the special report on the UAC's activity in what was now being called - according to the report - Mantakar Station.

"... but at least one report indicates that the CDF, playing diplomatically, has agreed to formally turn over control of Mantakar station and all its assets to the United Alliance Coalition. The Fiends here that had survived the battle have been rounded up and turned over to the CDF, and all of their stolen goods have been given to the CDF as well. With the threat posed by the Fiends eliminated, many are asking: Who will be next?"

Hitching his thumb at the news report, Drake asked, "This doesn't bother you at all, does it?"

"You kidding me?" Jerry scoffed. "Not a day went by I didn't wish those Fiends would get it. Glad to see someone had the guts and firepower to do it."

Drake shrugged, and walked into the restaurant area, looking for lunch...

Nadir stretched out in the cockpit of his ship and let out a giant yawn. 

Venom forces and Andross' army know Nadir, he visits Venom pretty regularly. Along with most of the scum flying about the Lylat System. 

He immediately perked up seeing an odd amount of ships surrounding Venom. He huffed, "Must be on alert because of Mark-" Nadir was interrupted with a face appearing over his comm. "Nadir! Good to see you!" He let out a bellowed laugh. Suldeen, a fire-bellied toad. He was a notorious crime lord in Venom. He made deals with Andross' army and almost any other crime related being in the Lylat System. "Suldeen..." Nadir greeting him weakly. "Did you already stop by and get those plans?" Suldeen said sarcastically. "Ha, very funny. There is UAC crawling all over the place. You know that. It's practically suicide at this point, but rest your weary heart! You'll get your damn blueprint."

"Tsk, tsk, Nadir... Don't raise your voice with me. We will chat once you reach the surface." The comm shut off before Nadir could even reply.

He groaned.

(Anyone can control Suldeen by the way, just a more important NPC haha..)

Edited by KazeKat