Windows 10 Launch Discussion

StarFoxMaster64

As we all know, Microsoft just released Windows 10, throughout the next few weeks users will be notified when they can download it for free. So far I am still waiting but I have gotten a chance to try it out and here are my opinions so far.

Pros

~It seems they fixed a lot of complaints in Windows 8, including easier to access advanced stuff, and start button is now more open to people who like the windows 7 version better, but can chose to use the windows 8 version better.

~A bit from point one, windows 10 is like a windows 7 and 8 hybrid, the best of both in one. 

~Even on a slower computer it actually is kind of fast. My friends and I tried it on two different computers, a older computer with 4 GB of RAM, and my friend's gaming computer with 16 GB of RAM, Nvidia graphics, all that fun stuff. I was very surprised to see the older computer ran faster than expected. Still not as fast as a gaming computer but it's nice to see Microsoft is trying to make it faster in the long haul for both lower and higher end computers.

~Programs still seem to run, we ran steam and a few games and not many complaints from those games. Seems to run games fine that support windows 7/8/8.1.

Cons

~Not surprisingly Microsoft did their thing again by trying to make people use their defaults again. Mozilla, developers of Firefox, have complained it seems harder now to change your default browser. I didn't find it that difficult to go from the new "Microsoft Edge" to Chrome so not sure how I feel about that one.

~It's a little buggy right now which is to be expected. I'd recommend waiting a month for the first few week patches to go into effect before installing 10. 

So far I am overall impressed with Windows 10, I will have it on my main computer in a few weeks and if I need to, will add more to this list.

Feel free to comment experiences or thoughts here. 

i'm okay with windows 10.

kind of annoyed that i had to repeatedly reset my default programs, so i could go back to using my old winamp, irfanview, firefox, acrobat, etc instead of microsoft's apps. it's taken a couple of tries but i think i've got all the defaults reset and i think windows 10 finally understands that i want irfanview to open all of the images thank you very much. so far i haven't had any problems with actually running any programs in windows 10 though. so hooray.

i don't know much about the inner workings of computers but i don't like how uninformative the error messages and settings are ("something happened," lol) because that precludes me from taking that information to the great oracle of google and getting an idea of what to do.

had some wackiness with the audio driver, which forced a couple of uninstall/reinstall cycles. audio still seems kinda off but whatever.

also having some wackiness with the touchpad driver. windows 10 can't update it, bleh.

boots up kinda slow. i was promised faster boots! and wanton advances.

had a random system crash while i was watching a video, not sure wtf that was about.

cortana is amusing, and i like the relatively granular level of control you have over what she remembers about you. but she's also pretty damn finicky about accepting input. sometimes i'll call up her window and type something in and it just won't do anything, and i'm not at the point where i'm comfortable actually yelling at my computer and seriously expecting a response. seems like she'd be more useful on a phone, but i have an android and the cortana for android beta is kinda useless right now. also she goes straight to bing, and like i know of course she's going to go straight to bing, but come on don't even front cortana bing sucks.

the start menu is kinda weird, you can't actually edit anything on the left-hand side, so all the shortcuts and pinned programs and such have to go on the right.

apparently aero glass works on this thing again? not sure how to get it reenabled though. i liked aero glass.

• Owner/Technical Admin

I had the same issues with my audio drivers. Would install fine, show it playing, but heard nothing. Couple of uninstall/reinstall and it was fine.

I dowlaoded Windows 10 a few days ago and so far I can say, it's a lot better then 8.1. I didn't have any trouble changing Firefox as my standard browser either.

I heard a few times, that people had slight problems with their audio, though.

I need to rebuild my storage setup first, then I will upgrade. Plus, waiting means the activation servers won't be down for the count anymore.

Edited by DZComposer

I put Windows 10 on my crappy netbook, and it runs surprisingly well. The only thing I didn't like about it was that when I was using Cortana, it made me sign up for an Outlook account.

But that music app though. That's cool.

another thing i've noticed so far: windows explorer (or power shell or whatever they're calling it) seems to freeze a lot. and for whatever reason, microsoft onedrive (which i never use) insists on restarting itself as the computer boots up.

PowerShell is a scripting command line shell originally released for Windows Server 2003 SP1. It was also available on XP. It's more UNIX-like in syntax than cmd.exe, but many cmd commands work.

Anyway, I've decided to hold off for a while to see if Microsoft will back off of the retarded idea to force driver installs over Windows Update. I'm reading tons of reports of this royally fucking up video cards, laptop touchpads, sound cards, and some WiFi cards. Windows Update installs a shit driver. User installs driver that doesn't suck. Windows Update automatically re-installs shit driver. Rinse and repeat. Windows Update drivers made nVidia cards completely unusable for several days. Fuck that.

Edited by DZComposer

Anyway, I've decided to hold off for a while to see if Microsoft will back off of the retarded idea to force driver installs over Windows Update. I'm reading tons of reports of this royally fucking up video cards, laptop touchpads, sound cards, and some WiFi cards. Windows Update installs a shit driver. User installs driver that doesn't suck. Windows Update automatically re-installs shit driver. Rinse and repeat. Windows Update drivers made nVidia cards completely unusable for several days. Fuck that.

Yes I've heard as well my friend's Nvidia titans keep losing their updates. I am holding off till Microsoft gets off their high horse and actually learns people don't like the crappy software...

• Owner/Technical Admin

I haven't had any issues with my Geforce GTX 660 Ti's drivers.

• Owner/Technical Admin

And of course, after I post that, my PC got caught in a BSOD boot loop, with SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. 

Google points to my drivers being at fault. I knew something was up before this happened though. Chrome would not finish downloads, they would get to 100% and stop. I could not uninstall Chrome to try and reinstall. I was able to get into a command prompt and enable the legacy boot options to get to safe mode. Proceeded to move a few things off the SSD so I could reinstall.

Had to get a USB flash drive and do a fresh install from another PC. So now I'm back online, and hopefully no more issues.

I installed Windows 10 today and my computer is caught in a BSOD loop, staying on for a few minutes and then crashing with different errors each time. So far nothing can tell me what the issue is. I am surprised as I have had the Technical Preview on another computer for months and never had this issue before (I am currently posting this from the Technical Preview)

If I can't fix it I might just do a clean install of Win 7 and restore from the system image I made just before I started to install Win 10, so hopefully that will put everything back the way it was

I downloaded it a week or two ago, and it was better then I was expecting it to be! I like it how the start screen no longer takes up the entire flipping screen! Switching my default browser back to Firefox was a bit of a challenge... but other then that, I am impressed! :)

• Owner/Technical Admin

I installed Windows 10 today and my computer is caught in a BSOD loop, staying on for a few minutes and then crashing with different errors each time. So far nothing can tell me what the issue is. I am surprised as I have had the Technical Preview on another computer for months and never had this issue before (I am currently posting this from the Technical Preview)

If I can't fix it I might just do a clean install of Win 7 and restore from the system image I made just before I started to install Win 10, so hopefully that will put everything back the way it was

My first BSOD was related to drivers for my video card. I was able to get into safe mode. I decided instead of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, to backup my GTAV game and my FTB folder, and do a restore.

Foolish me disconnected my 2 other SATA HDD's, and I got another BSOD relating to boot volume not found.

So I used my laptop to download a fresh copy onto a flash drive and just installed it on my SSD alone. Then hooked up my other SATA HDD's and was good.

Okay, so far a week in, W10 seems to be working fine with my rig.

I like how the whole computer seems to generally behave less sluggish than it would with 7. I also quite like the all-in-one-place start menu. and now that it doesn't clog up the whole screen, it's a nice addition.

Cortana is also a nice addition. It's got it's novelty value definitely, though I find it useful to have a quick check on news about [X] subject or have all my music on playlist with a voice command, especially if I'm looking for something specific. Microsoft's voice recognition technology seems to have come a long way since it began, and I definitely approve of a function to recognize non-native accents. inb4 ROSSIJA STRONK

One thing that I can complain of is that occasionally it'll prompt me for the XBox.com services, which for some reason refuse to let me past the parental protection thing even if my account should be good on its own. So far no problem with drivers or anything else though.

(I really gotta free up some disk space before my HDD keels over and dies tho)

The one big thing I have to argue about is holy space jeebus does my laptop refuse to install the best upgrade it could get without space magic.

My first BSOD was related to drivers for my video card. I was able to get into safe mode. I decided instead of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, to backup my GTAV game and my FTB folder, and do a restore.

Foolish me disconnected my 2 other SATA HDD's, and I got another BSOD relating to boot volume not found.

So I used my laptop to download a fresh copy onto a flash drive and just installed it on my SSD alone. Then hooked up my other SATA HDD's and was good.

I have heard a few ways people say I can get it to work, but I have gone back to Windows 7 and I will wait until the end of semester to try again. Windows 7 is probably the better choice for me right now anyway, as I am going my final year game dev assignment for my uni and I can't afford to have any issues, especially as the game is gonna be shown off at PAX AUS.

Edited by Pgpaw3

okay, 'nother bug, whenever i close and open the lid, i get the black screen with a movable cursor bug. i have an AMD Radeon R4 display adapter and it has the latest version of the driver, so wtf

also i still would really like to figure out what's going on with Windows Explorer, especially at startup

would it make a difference if i just backed up everything and did a clean install?

I always recommend people do a clean install when upgraded OSes. With Win10, though, you have to upgrade first, activate, then nuke and re-install.

• 2 weeks later...

Just built a new PC, bought a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and loaded it on. Waiting a few more weeks before I move to 10. I'm currently running 10 on both my work computer and laptop and it seems to be pretty damn fast and efficient. Only gripes I have with it are some minor display problems (stuff running off the edges of the screen, etc). Otherwise it's been pretty stable and Microsoft We're Edgy the browser surprised me with the speed. Not as good as chrome but hey, it's actually pretty damn close.