Terteroba Rising

Arminius H O Fiddywinks

"If you've got one, please." Laika held out her cigarette to the dragon.

Lily sighed wearily as she walked away from a group of thuggish apes who were of no use to her. Laika was better at this than she was, but she had to try.

She noticed a gryphon making a beeline for her. The dragon wasn't the only otherworldly being here, it would seem. Out of sheer curiosity, she turned to meet him, wondering what he could have to say to her.

"Well, what have we here?" Zack said as he came up to Lily. "What exactly brings a beauty such as yourself to a place like this?" He was trying to be polite. "Oh, forgive me, I forgot my manners.  I am Zack Gryphon, and you are?" He held a hand out to her in greeting.

(I am sure this is not going to end well for him.)

A slight smile peeked out of the corner of Bohdan's mouth. He took the cigarette from Laika's hand, and held it up. He cocked his head back, and summoned the fire within him out. Suddenly, a small burst of flame blew out from his mouth, and the cigarette was lit. The flame briefly illuminated a sizable portion of the bar counter, and caught the attention of several patrons, including Michael and his team. Bohdan gave the cigarette back to Laika.

"There you are," he said.

"Lily Shaffer," she took his hand in greeting, "Nice to meet you. I'm looking for a colleague of mine. I don't suppose you've seen her? She's a snow leopard, super quiet, never smiles?"

-----

Laika took her cigarette back from him, examined the lit end and took a small puff. Blowing smoke back out away from the other patrons, she eyed the dragon warily. "I guess I could have seen that one coming. Interesting party trick you've got there. You do that for all the ladies who ask for a light?" she smirked at him.

Bohdan chuckled.

"I only do it for people who ask for a light," said Bohdan. He then looked at the barkeep, and motioned to give him a beer. The bartender acknowledged, and gave him a bottle. Bohdan took it from the bar and opened it with his bare hands. Bohdan took a swig.

"My team and I have been in this village for a few weeks," continued Bohdan. "We have found it to be quite quaint, despite its location in a rather desolate location of the Universe. What do you think of Ada Kulun?"

"I'm afraid I have not." Zack said, shaking Lily's hand, his grip firm, but gentle enough that she could pull her hand back if she wanted. "My team and I have only just arrived, but I will keep an eye out for her.  What is her name if you don't mind me asking?" At that moment, Zack heard Bohdan's breathing of fire to light Laika's cigarette.  He took a quick moment to look, and then turned back to Lily. "Guess he's one of those dragons who is more than just looking like one.  By the way, that is a beautiful name you have, Lily.  Like the flower, no?" By now, it would be clear to Lily that Zack had a Zurin accent, which was a Lylatian equivalent of French, though more Canadian French, but they are capable of a more refined version like the one spoken by the French.

-------

Steed jumped with a neigh when he heard Bohdan using his fire breath to light Laika's cigarette.  The sound had been uncannily like an explosion to him, and made him think for a moment that they were under attack.  So much so that not only had he jumped off the stool he was sitting on, he had pulled his blaster, which resembled a Colt Peacemaker Revolver, out of it's holster, and aimed it at the source of the noise instinctively.  But he had enough presence of mind to realize he was pointing at nothing, and that they weren't under attack.  He then put the weapon away with a blush, and sat back down on the stool, returning to drinking his cider.

-------

Wyvern and Fern had noticed the activity, and were clapping their hands at Bohdan's display. "Looks like he can back up his looks." Wyvern said, "If he's one of the mercs Emil hired, that could well be a good sign for this job."
"You got that right." Fern said, "I'm feeling much better about this."

"I suppose that was my parents' line of thought." she shrugged, eyes glittering in amusement.

This guy was a real smooth talker. Perhaps she could use that. "Oh boy, that's troubling." she sighed, worry in her eyes and a pout on her lips, "She goes by 'Ghost'. I just don't know what I'd do if something happened to her."

She sniffled pitifully, digging deep inside her to work up a single tear that she wiped away in embarrassment, "Nobody will talk to me, Zack. Can I call you Zack? I'm trying so hard to find her, and these brutes only care about where their next drink is coming. But you," she stepped closer to him, shortening the distance between them, "You're a perfect gentleman, so kind. I'd be ever so grateful if you'd help me. Please?"

------

"It reminds me a lot of how Macbeth looked after the Venomians left." Laika answered, "Homes in shambles, a virtually non-existent government, the mob running around unchecked and unchallenged. Full of good hardworking people, though. It has potential. It just needs the right people behind it." she blew another plume of smoke.

"Please, don't cry." Zack said, taken a bit aback by her sudden mood change and gently placed his right hand towards her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her as he too stepped closer to her. "I will help you find Ghost, even if it takes all night, for how can I resist such beauty as yours?"

Bohdan coughed slightly as the puff of smoke reached his snout. He nodded at Laika's answer. "The planetary government as always been corrupt and ineffective here," he said. "So, the locals capitalize and wage private wars with each other. Sometimes, they even have the coin to hire fine people like my team. In the end, I am here strictly for business. I may disagree with my superior's morals, but not with his coin." Bohdan sipped some more of his beer.

"These people do not seem tired of the conflict, however. They might be honest, but they still thirst for the blood of their enemies. Clan rivalries stand the test of time."

Michael, Teresa, and Lorenzo began enjoying the drinks at the tavern. Michael ordered the best bottle of wine they had, which was in fact barely consumable swill. Teresa enjoyed her beer, despite its overly sweet taste. Lorenzo's ale, considered a local favorite, seemed to agree with him. He enjoyed the drink.

"Oh thank you." she sniffled, drying her eyes, "That means a lot to me. If you take one side of the room, I'll take the other. We'll meet up in the middle. Remember that description. They wouldn't know her name, though."

----

"You know, there was a time I would have been disgusted by that, and yet here I am now sharing that sentiment. You can't change people who don't want to change, so you're better off no trying to." she laughed bitterly, "But enough about that. What's this Emil guy's deal? He's got an awful lot of manpower for a protection assignment."

the boar after yelling to the bar keep for her money slams her fist on the table " Now 'then.. Get me a bottle of Vodka... and keep da bottle."

The large boar takes a seat while waiting for her drink.

Bohdan sat down on an empty stool next to Laika, sensing a deeper conversation with her than anticipated.

"Emil does not want protection," said Bohdan, leaning on the bar. "He wants an army. One that will defeat his enemies for him." However, the stool under Bohdan started creaking and buckling under his weight. The dragon, strangely, was unaware of this. "He feels that mercenaries are much more disciplined and effective than his own people. In a way, he is correct. But I feel---" At that moment, the stool Bohdan sat on finally gave way, and he and the stool collapsed onto the floor, a clattering sound being made. Many patrons turned their heads quickly to see the commotion. Michael and Teresa burst out in laughter almost immediately, with the former collapsing onto the floor. Lorenzo, meanwhile, helped Bohdan up, although he too was snickering.

"I am fine!" Bohdan announced. He got up and dusted his clothes. Bohdan casually took another sip from his now half empty beer, which had spilled some of its contents as he fell.

Steed looked on at Bohdan, not laughing as he didn't think what happened was all that funny. "Maybe you should get a more sturdy and larger stool for your sizable frame?" Steed said in a serious suggestion. "Just a suggestion."  Meanwhile, both Fern and Wyvern were snickering, trying to hold back their own laughter.

--------

"Very well, my dear Lily." Zack said to her, "A Snowleopard who never smiles and is super quiet.  I will ask the patrons if they have seen someone who matches this description, but now, which side of the tavern do you wish to take?  The side to the left of the entrance?  Or the one to the right?  I shall take the side you do not choose to take."

Edited by Tiger Carson
Needed to make something clear

Kosovo's going to have my hide. Kimber thought as he, Sandor, and the two others sat, scoping out the village. He was not supoosesupposed to leave the group, something Kosovo had made sure to make a rule after the Mekrasa massacre of the year prior, where he nearly died in a Macbethian terrorist raid when he felt as if he could take them on with his bare paws.

"Alright, fancy man." He said to Sandor, chambering a round in his 13mm. "We ready?"

"Really?" replied Sandor impatiently. "You're going to ask that after all-" Sandor then stopped himself, and regained his composure.

"Go. Just go."

As Sven lay sleeping, a small piece of electronic equipment in his body did not. A microscopic chip embedded in his leg was ticking away. The singles reaching a pod out in orbit. "Coordinates received" the robotic Female voice responded. Four small thrusters activated, throwing the pod lighting fast twords the planets surface.

"Yes." Said Kimber, jumping up. "Lesgo."

"Okay, Venomian," began Sandor, "we go." Sandor crouched up and started creeping towards the village. He gestured Kimber to follow him.

Korben saw their slow and steady advance, and readied himself for the coming fight, cocking his blaster so that a low hum could be heard.

Kimber walked behind Sandor, tightly gripping his service pistol with both paws, fully extending his arms as to see his iron sights more clearly. The metal cylinder that was the energy katana sat against Kimber's left hip. When the time came to utilize it, he would merely have to press a small button on the bottom of the small metal device and a blade of pure energy would erupt from it.

Undoubtedly, the arsenal of a bladed weapon and a hand-blaster was completely unorthodox for this sort of situation but he was an unorthodox combatant. He knew full well how to use these weapons to their optimum effectiveness. He should know, he had murdered countless soldiers with both of them.

As they made their way towards the village, an emotion welled up inside of Kimber that he hadn't felt since his time in the VPLA. Bloodlust. In the year he had left that dreadful death squad, he had never felt a homicidal impulse. Now, all he wanted was to take the life of anyone who opposed himself and his party.

Easy does it, Kim. He told himself. You left them for a reason, don't act like them.

Still, he ventured forward, ready for whatever action may present itself.

The pod slammed into the earth, kicking up dirt and debris as it ground to a halt, about a quarter mile from the village. "System override. AI Janet, access granted. Systems check, clear. Armor diagnostic complete." 

The impact woke the drunken Simo from his sleep. Unsteadily he rose to his feet stumbled twords the bar

The boar notice the folks leaivng and the noise outside . she lookd to the bartender " What's with those frag heads? " Her cycbertic eyes also look to her pda.. " this is stako.... No jobs avalible... Should be flooded on mercnet right now!"

"What should be flooded on MercNet?" asked Saray, who entered the tavern via following Star Wyvern in with his squad, and who approached the boar from behind. His jackal face was oily from countless hours of tiring patrolling, which was illuminated by the dirty lights on the ceiling.

Saray was garbed in a short khaki military officer's shirt and his tan cap, while his pants were khakis as well, and he had black officer's shoes. His aviator sunglasses hung from his shirt collar. There were no medals on his shirt, but instead, a shoulder holster with his pistol: a rather antiquated blaster from the previous century, it was nevertheless deadly at close range and even further, so long as it is wielded by an expert marksman. Saray was one such marksman, who, as a younger boy, hunted Hyrcanian bison with his father in the rolling steppes a stone's throw beyond the village limits.

"You look with your nose, sellsword, not your eyes."

" The frag your talking about? Plus  I'm looking for jobs.. It's been dry as the skin of a venomian lizard  for the past few weeks and i got crap i have to pay for. weapons and the like" the angry russian accent boar responds to the person that asked.

• 3 weeks later...

"So you want us to pamper you by bringing the people in need to you?" questioned Saray, putting his hands to his hips. "Woman, you look with your nose."

Saray's men were unimpressed by this latest mercenary. She is but one of many, many that have gone by.

• OneUnder locked this topic