FAST Racing NEO (Discussion and Review)

StarFoxMaster64

Not sure if this has been posted about before but just in case not, I am not sure if people heard, but FAST Racing NEO last month was one of the fastest and best selling Nintendo eShop games. The big reason is, and we all know F-Zero is a franchise with a major decline lately, this game fixes the void we had for extreme, fast paced, racing. I am not sure if anyone else has it, but FAST Racing NEO is a extremely addicting game!

12316307_669762706460678_652842962174699

When it came to Wii U games in 2015, this was the one I was looking forward to (since Star Fox Zero moved to 2016) and it was a great release. Though some minor bugs that they are fixing this month kind of ruin the online experience, the game still is a fantastic play. If your like me, you've been itching for a new F-Zero or some sort of futuristic extreme racing, well this should help. 

I haven't had a mix of fun, excitement, and rage (insane difficulty, we'll discuss that later), since F-Zero GX. The Wii U hasn't been the best selling Nintendo console but wow this game definitely is a worth while game to own. The stunning visuals also make a big impact, especially on Wii U. It runs at a solid 60 FPS. Music is decent too, but not as memorable as some other racing games.

The oddest part this highly graphiced, large built, difficult game was only 500+ MB of space, very surprising at least to me. 

12347586_669762709794011_891110295428365

This game is fun, and as you can see from the screenshot is very similar to our F-Zero games. The controls are easy to learn, but hard to master. This brings me up to my next situation, the difficulty. This game is hard, like really really hard. The game is divided into three engine classes, Subsonic(Normal), Supersonic(Advanced), and Hypersonic(Expert). However no matter what difficulty, the game really can be challenging. The computer racers are very difficult and even on normal, do not give you a break. No matter what engine class, it's fast, it's hard, it's grieving. Crashing sends you back to a checkpoint, similar to Mario Kart. So if ya die, you can go from 1st all the way to 10th. So in other words I don't recommend this game for casual gamers. 

Overall though, it's a worth while pickup. For 15 bucks on the eShop(this surprised me the most), its definitely a game to add to your collection. Maybe once they fix the Online mode too, we can organize some races for those who do own it. For those who don't I highly recommend this game.

Does anyone else own this game? Any thoughts on your end? I'd like to see how others feel as I do know this game is highly rated but has a mixed bag of different types of fans. Hopefully too there will be a demo. 

• Like 2

Oh boy I used to play the original a lot with my sibling. The first game didn't have a lot of specialities or anything that particularly stood out but it was fun and I liked the designs. The controls were pretty nice. Kinda wish I could find the soundtrack somewhere though, a few pieces were pretty cool. Kinda wish I could pick up the game but I don't have a WiiU yet, oh well.

If this does any justice to the other title then it's surely worth a try. Might not be a F-Zero game, but sure looks promising.

Also oh man dem shaders everything looks so pretty this time nnngh

From what I've played, FR Neo is pretty solid. The shifting mechanic is fucking fun and the tracks are technically challenging enough to be pretty fun.The multiplayer is good and the technical aspects of the game are impressive: Some of the content is procedurally generated to save disk space, and it features basically all of the advanced graphical techniques you see in modern "next gen titles" (Ambient Occlusion, HDR, etc). Even though they had to drop the internal rendering resolution to achieve it, I think it's worth it. The game is pretty much at the limit of what the Wii U can do.

On 1/5/2016 at 1:05 AM, StarFoxMaster64 said:

Not sure if this has been posted about before but just in case not, I am not sure if people heard, but FAST Racing NEO last month was one of the fastest and best selling Nintendo eShop games. The big reason is, and we all know F-Zero is a franchise with a major decline lately, this game fixes the void we had for extreme, fast paced, racing. I am not sure if anyone else has it, but FAST Racing NEO is a extremely addicting game!

12316307_669762706460678_652842962174699

That's my favourite vehicle in the game. :)

It came out late in 2015, but despite not being able to play them all, this game has become my personal Game Of The Year!

It improved upon many of it predecessor's aspects (Fast Racing League), and fixed many of it's problems. The Track designs are beautiful and fun to play in, the vehicles are sleek and despite there being few, it's easy to pick and choose your favourite because of varied stats, and like everyone else respectively, I think the graphics are absolutely stunning and so beautiful, despite the fact they had to cut down on the resolution a little. Even the Multiplayer is fun when you're playing with the right people! The game is still beautiful to play in, even when the framerate has to go down to make up for 3 player splitscreen. The online is again fun and quite addictive, but it could it really use some work in keeping it running, and also, the cameras during spectator mode could use a little editing. Hopefully the update coming later this month will fix that!

All in all, I say that this is a game that no one should pass up, even the casual crowd. Shin'en, you are now my favourite company next to Nintendo. Check some of their other awesome titles on their website! http://www.shinen.com/home/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 01/24/16 at 8:15 PM, Pharaoh Shadon said:

So is this game more like F-Zero? Or is it more like Playstations wipeout?

I tend to think that this game is more like its own thing than anything else. It just borrows certain aspects from those two, but incorporates its own unique feature, which is of course, phase switching.