Anyone caught this yet?

The VGM Lover

I'm always weary of unsourced statements.

That said, the controls have been a worry ever since I've heard people saying they don't like them. If this game gets pegged as having "shit controls" it won't sell well and the series will suffer for it.

Well from what I've heard from people who have played it at events, people seem to think that the controls work well, despite being a bit of a pain to get used to, so I'd take this with a grain of salt.

Yeah. I mean, they wouldn't have made such a huge deal out of the demo if the controls didn't work.

I think we're gonna have something of a Pikmin situation with the controls: A bit unconventional, but great for what they do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, That Ain't Falco said:

Yeah. I mean, they wouldn't have made such a huge deal out of the demo if the controls didn't work.

I think we're gonna have something of a Pikmin situation with the controls: A bit unconventional, but great for what they do.

Except #3 in my point of view. I mean, why couldn't you just use the right stick to point where you wanna throw your pikmin? I think the controls for the 2012 re-release of #2 for the Wii worked a lot better... which is actually another reason I fully support SF Zero's gimmick. Point and shoot while moving in a different direction. If a concept like that can work with Pikmin 2 for the Wii, I don't see why it can't work with a SF game.

This rumor is a bit odd... 

Controls in Zero are optional but the levels were designed to be centered around the usage of the game pad's motion controls. 

So yeah, either way, the motion controls must be fun to use or else Zero will just feel like a generic shooter with bland levels.

Also.... 

Spoiler

The only reason why Zero looks undetailed and bland is because of the motion controls. They had to dumb down the graphics so you wouldn’t get motion sick or something. So basically the dev team had to sacrifice graphics for new controls. 

Oh, and there’s like 2 months left.

Personally, I didn't like the use of motion controls in Splatoon, and I'm really hoping they won't be mandatory in Star Fox Zero. Motion controls feel like a huge gimmick and impede your ability to pinpoint and shoot things; and that's exactly what I want to do in Splatoon, and Star Fox.

7 hours ago, Joseph. said:

Also.... 

Hide contents

The only reason why Zero looks undetailed and bland is because of the motion controls. They had to dumb down the graphics so you wouldn’t get motion sick or something. So basically the dev team had to sacrifice graphics for new controls. 

Please, I have already explained this before. I really don't want to do it again.

3 hours ago, Hidi said:

Personally, I didn't like the use of motion controls in Splatoon, and I'm really hoping they won't be mandatory in Star Fox Zero. Motion controls feel like a huge gimmick and impede your ability to pinpoint and shoot things; and that's exactly what I want to do in Splatoon, and Star Fox.

I'm pretty sure they said you can turn it off if you want.

8 hours ago, Joseph. said:

This rumor is a bit odd... 

Controls in Zero are optional but the levels were designed to be centered around the usage of the game pad's motion controls. 

So yeah, either way, the motion controls must be fun to use or else Zero will just feel like a generic shooter with bland levels.

Also.... 

Reveal hidden contents

Are we not considering that the only footage we have of this game is beta footage, and that gameplay comes first over graphics in most development cycles? And that if motion sickness was really the issue, they'd have reduced control twitchiness, rather than graphical quality? Look, if motion sickness in motion controlled games was such a huge issue, then the Metroid Prime series wouldn't have happened. Heck, why should motion controls be any different than regular controls with what you're describing? Because by your logic with that, no games should be playable due to motion sickness that were made after 2013 (and the Wii was released, when, 2007?). Let's wait until the game actually comes out to start unfairly criticizing it. If it sucks, I'll be the first one to call it out on that. If it doesn't, I'll be the first to laugh at everyone who assumes this game will be shit for one logic-free reason or another.

6 hours ago, That Ain't Falco said:

Are we not considering that the only footage we have of this game is beta footage, and that gameplay comes first over graphics in most development cycles? And that if motion sickness was really the issue, they'd have reduced control twitchiness, rather than graphical quality? Look, if motion sickness in motion controlled games was such a huge issue, then the Metroid Prime series wouldn't have happened. Heck, why should motion controls be any different than regular controls with what you're describing? Because by your logic with that, no games should be playable due to motion sickness that were made after 2013 (and the Wii was released, when, 2007?). Let's wait until the game actually comes out to start unfairly criticizing it. If it sucks, I'll be the first one to call it out on that. If it doesn't, I'll be the first to laugh at everyone who assumes this game will be shit for one logic-free reason or another.

How am I criticizing the game unfairly? No where did i say Zero will be a bad game. Also, You do realize I'm saying the rumor is fake right? It was meant to scare people just like that other rumor where it stated Zero would be delayed again.

6 hours ago, Pgpaw3 said:

Please, I have already explained this before. I really don't want to do it again.

There was an article released by one of the dev's stating the the graphics look simple because the player, when looking at 2 screens with detailed environment while using motion controls at the same time wouldn't work out. So they sacrificed graphics over "innovative" controls and to keep 60fps on both screens

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/star-fox-zeros-director-explains-the-games-visuals

I checked the source on your source, and either I'm an idiot, or the reason for the graphical style was the usual and welcomed "games look too realistic," without motion sickness being mentioned a single time. Again, this may be me screwing up, for some reason, migraines kill my reading comprehension.

After two reads, I saw nothing of interest, really. Nintendo games never look overly realistic. They don't want to make another series full of brown/grey/oddly blue tinted space marines.

They didn't "dumb down the graphics," genius, they're just using a magical thing called an art style. You might recognize it as a technique used in smaller indie games, like Super Mario Bros. Not that anyone's ever heard of that series, though. High poly is high quality, after all. Your own source doesn't even really support your point.

I mean, Super Mario Maker looks bloody fantastic, and that game is entirely prerendered sprites. A Nintendo game not using an incredibly graphics intensive art style is nothing new. It's what they're good at, and often, pretty is nicer than impressive.

I'm sorry if this came off as hostile. It's been a rough week.

49 minutes ago, That Ain't Falco said:

After two reads, I saw nothing of interest, really. Nintendo games never look overly realistic. They don't want to make another series full of brown/grey/oddly blue tinted space marines.

They didn't "dumb down the graphics," genius, they're just using a magical thing called an art style. You might recognize it as a technique used in smaller indie games, like Super Mario Bros. Not that anyone's ever heard of that series, though. High poly is high quality, after all. Your own source doesn't even really support your point.

I'm sorry if this came off as hostile. It's been a rough week.

The developer said: "We decided to have two screens displaying 3D graphics at 60 frames per second. It was this and a few other factors, including it being the first time players will be using two screens like this on the Wii U, that led us to decide to base the graphical design on Lylat Wars"

The devs only used that form of art style because using motion controls with 2 screens was something new players weren't use too & it did not allow the game to run at 60fps. So imagine playing zero with high polygon count with detailed graphics while one screen is running at 60fps & the game pad is running at 30fps? It would be a disaster so the dev team did the reasonable thing & dumb down the visuals (when i say dumb down i mean they had to use less powerful graphics to make the game run smoother) 

Miyamoto literally said why the graphics are the way they are. It has nothing to do with that. You're making this too complicated.

49 minutes ago, That Ain't Falco said:

Miyamoto literally said why the graphics are the way they are. It has nothing to do with that.

Miyamoto said;

"the team decided to focus on the gameplay and a purposeful visual style"

What did the dev team say about the visual style? 

"We (the development team) decided to have two screens displaying 3D graphics at 60 frames per second. It was this and a few other factors, including it being the first time players will be using two screens like this on the Wii U, that led us to decide to base the graphical design on Lylat Wars"

What factors made the team to decide to use a simple art style?

Most likely because using motion controls with 2 screens was something new players weren't use too & it did not allow the game to run at a smooth 60fps.

Conclusion:

The graphics had to be dumb down or else the game would run below 60fps on the game pad or tv. Having to use motion controls while changing views on 2 screens while having the game pad run at 30fps, while having detailed graphics would probably cause motion sickness or you would feel uncomfortable playing.  The developers feared this and did the right think by lowering the graphics to make the game run 60fps on both screens. 

1 minute ago, Joseph. said:

Miyamoto said;

"the team decided to focus on the gameplay and a purposeful visual style"

What did the dev team say about the visual style? 

"We (the development team) decided to have two screens displaying 3D graphics at 60 frames per second. It was this and a few other factors, including it being the first time players will be using two screens like this on the Wii U, that led us to decide to base the graphical design on Lylat Wars"

What factors made the team to decide to use a simple art style?

Most likely because using motion controls with 2 screens was something new players weren't use too & it did not allow the game to run at a smooth 60fps.

Conclusion:

The graphics had to be dumb down or else the game would run below 60fps on the game pad or tv. Having to use motion controls while changing views on 2 screens while having the game pad run at 30fps, while having detailed graphics would have probably caused motion sickness or you would feel uncomfortable playing.  The developers feared this and did the right think by lowering the graphics to make the game run smooth. 

Heh. Reminds me of F-Zero X in that it also had to dumb down its graphics to keep its 60 fps speed. In Star Fox Zero, its simply power usage. I'm okay with that. :confused:

8 minutes ago, amcintyr9998 said:

Heh. Reminds me of F-Zero X in that it also had to dumb down its graphics to keep its 60 fps speed.

And that's exactly why this rumor is fake. Nintendo sacrificed graphics over controls and created levels around the usage of motion controls yet somehow according to the rumor "certain fundamental control aspects simply don’t work." ? This is just someone trying to mess with wii u owners.

Edited by Joseph.
  • Like 1

"This isn’t the first time someone involved with Star Fox Zero has commented on the game’s visuals. A few months ago, Shigeru Miyamoto said that they were made with a purpose. He additionally mentioned that games these days “look so realistic that they all look the same.”

-from the Nintendoeverything page that the Gamnesia post uses as a source.

• Like 1

Just now, Joseph. said:

Your right and that's just one reason out of many as to why the game's art style looks simple.

Too many major games aren't. For the moment, I don't know a single AAA game or First party game outside of Nintendo that does this.

7 minutes ago, amcintyr9998 said:

Too many major games aren't. For the moment, I don't know a single AAA game or First party game outside of Nintendo that does this.

Its all based on logic. If Zero didn't have motion controls with the game pad then the graphics would be better and not in a realistic way. There are cartoonish games that look way better then Zero. Take Mario Kart 8 & Smash for example.

I know Zero isnt out yet but the art style will not change. Nintendo wont just change all of its art assets while theres only like 2 months for it to be released.

Do you really think Nintendo purposely wanted to have zero with low graphics for the sake of art style? It only looks that way because of technical issues. 

(with a squeaky voice)

Maybe we should just shut up and wait until the game comes out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arminius H O Fiddywinks said:

(with a squeaky voice)

Maybe we should just shut up and wait until the game comes out.

Nothing wrong with simply talking about it, and keeping the hype going though, right? I don't want us to lose our excitement for it, no matter what kind of excitement it is, that's all.

• Like 1