Jim Sterling on SFZ's reported invincible mode

DZComposer

WARNING: Video contains profanity and sexual jokes

Seriously, I agree with him. I do not see why people are pissed about this. Nintendo has never forced it's n00b modes on people. No one was forced to let AI Luigi play a level for you or use the Invincible Tanuki Suit. No fan of Star Fox should insist that people not be able to play a Star Fox game, especially with the series in its current state.

• Like 4

Don't see how anyone could disagree with this. I'm never going to use it but this is good for introducing new people to the Starfox, something it really needs at this point.

So true. You DON'T have to use it. People are flipping about this but Nintendo has been doing this for years now, it's never been a requirement. Like the Konami code, it's there but you DON'T need to use it. 

Miyamoto even said the main reason is to target the younger audience, cause lets be honest a small child may have trouble saving Slippy a lot. 

It's Starfox, not bloody Dark Souls. I don't see what the big deal is.

Modes like this also make the games more accessible for people with sensory disabilities and the like. The only reason I can think of to be mad about completely optional modes like this existing is if you're a wretched manbaby whose only sense of accomplishment in life is weighted around beating more video games than everyone else.

People rip on this decision, but let's not forget that a lot of games implement modes similar to this. Making games gg ez is nothing new; Lego Rock Band was no-fail all the way through iirc, and also featured a mode where you could just rampantly strum/smack the drum pads and get a good score. Hell, a good amount of platformers today feature unlimited lives or really slim penalties for running out of lives. Finding a balance between accessibility and challenge for the under 10 crowd is important, and selling old series to a new generation is even more important. I'd consider this to be a good call.

I don't understand. Folks are mad at this? I mean, why? This is much better than just making the game dead easy. It's something I've seen more and more folks start to criticize, that games are getting too easy or dumbed down.

But here? Nothing in the core of the game is getting dumbed down. It's optional. And yeah, it really does make the games more accessible. When I was a kid, I used Easy Mode in games and it got me into games more as a whole.

This kinda reminds me of when some Borderlands 2 players got uppity about Gaige the Mechromancer. Her "Best Friends Forever" tree was based around self-support and her action skill. The point of it is to make things a little easier on one's self but this got folks calling it names like "Girlfriend Mode" or the like cause it seemed to make things too easy. Most of it was on the "Close Enough" skill which made missed bullets hit anyway and is available right away. I'm not sure if it got as much press as Invincible Mode here but I remember hardcore players whinging about it at the time.

In the end though, no one has to play Best Friends Forever nor Gaige nor Invincible Mode.

I'm glad Jim called it out for what it is: People being pissed that someone else might be able to enjoy the game. How freaking selfish does one have to be? I could understand anger if this was forced on players, but it is not.

Also, that mode could be great for mindless fun. Yeah, I can make a playthrough of SF64 without dying, but sometimes it was fun to whip-out the GameShark and just go nuts.

Honestly, I'm just glad I'll be able to do some battlefield sightseeing with out that pesky risk of dying.