The Star Fox Continuity Thread!

Robert Monroe

I updated it a little bit. Maybe might be best to stick with what's JUST unique about SF64's canon or we'll be listing things forever... lol

On 29/04/2016 at 1:54 AM, Robert Monroe said:

What exactly am I twisting about this? These are Miyamoto's actual words about the game. 

They're not Miyamoto's only words about the game. yes, he said it's not a remake, but that doesn't mean it is a reboot. Some of his other words are that it's not a reboot.

On 29/04/2016 at 4:15 AM, Animal Pilot said:

You're wrong about that, and so are your other statements about canon but this one in particular stands out.

It is clearly stated in Adventures that it is Team Star Fox's first visit to Dinosaur Planet aka Sauria. In the Star Fox Zero prequel anime Slippy says they just got back from Sauria aka Dinosaur Planet. This is a contradiction, and when that occurs the new material completely overrides the old. 

Zero is obviously a reboot as the above Miyamoto quote confirms, those other adventures never happened in this timeline. Trying to mix and match aspects of both continuities to create a unified story is your own headcanon on this topic.

The same characters probably still exist in this universe, but they won't meet each other in the same way.

The Battle Begins also contradicts Zero in some ways. Also, you're right about new stuff overriding old stuff, but if Assault had contradicted 64 in one small area, 64 wouldn't have automatically been disregarded as non-canon, rather, that one specific part of it would've been seen as non-canon. Therefore even if TBB is canon, then it will only change the fact that Adventures was Star Fox's first visit to Sauria.

Also, Miyamoto said during the 2015 E3 treehouse event that it's not a reboot.

Can you give us a source please?

Besides, if this really was not a reboot, it wouldn't have been a retelling of SF1/SF64's story in the first place.

1 hour ago, Patch93 said:

Can you give us a source please?

Besides, if this really was not a reboot, it wouldn't have been a retelling of SF1/SF64's story in the first place.

It's somewhere in here. I'm not watching 8 hours of treehouse to figure out exactly where.

It's a retelling on Star Fox 64's story because it takes 64's place in the current timeline.

8 hours ago, SF Alba said:

The Battle Begins also contradicts Zero in some ways. 

A  different medium explaining more details (ie Pepper's fur, the secret transmission) that the game can't since all the action is from Fox's/the player's perspective is not a contradiction. Going against something that Zero established would be, but Battle Begins doesn't do that.

Also, I checked out Miyamoto's Treehouse interview about Star Fox and there is nothing in that segment about what you're talking about. I think it is wrong how you want to hold others to a high standard, even accusing the OP of twisting someone's words for their own benefit, but you can't even establish your own point has any validity with a shred of evidence. If you can't be bothered, why should we?

Honestly, I think you are broadly interpreting any statement as, "We are reimagining Star Fox 64." in an attempt to save games you like from the chopping block when everything points to the only thing being said is, "We are reimagining Star Fox." 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Animal Pilot said:

Also, I checked out Miyamoto's interview about Star Fox and there is nothing there about what you're talking about. I think it is wrong how you want to hold others to a high standard, even accusing the OP of twisting someone's words for their own benefit, but you can't even establish your own point has any validity with a shred of evidence. If you can't be bothered, why should we? 

There is more than just one interview.

It has been said that Zero is a re-imagining of 64. Whether or not it has been said one time or it has been said a hundred times, it has still been said and is therefore true. I have much more important things to do than go through 8 hours of footage to find one quote, but it's in there somewhere.

I'll wrap this up now: Let's put aside the fact there is no way your word or memory should be taken at face value, so let's say for the sake of argument you did somehow manage to dig up a quote that mentions 64 or reboot or whatever. That still would not change your misunderstanding and uncalled for assumptions of how canon actually works in a case like this.

No matter the medium it always needs to be clearly stated by someone in creative that this is replacing the other thing from one larger story aka a retcon. Just remaking/reimagining/rebirthing a thing to hook nostalgic fans (although Zero isn't a remake remember) doesn't at all follow that future events line up the same way. Whether you want to call that a reboot ("This isn't a reboot!") or just a parallel reality to the original story which still goes on is irrelevant. When a sequel(s) to this doesn't acknowledge any of those other games or characters, are you going to keep changing these fanon details to make them all work together?

You are free to continue to parse the word reimagine to mean whatever suits you in this context, I won't bother trying to dissuade you, but that still won't connect the dots the way you want them to. No matter how many times you repeat the same argument without backing it up with anything.

Look, can we all just take pride in knowing that Command is not canon and Nintendo chose not to follow it up? :V

To be honest there's a lot of good things to take from Command, just not.... the whole thing. Command showed us a lot of neat tidbits, such as more insight into Star Wolf (Pigma actually liked them as friends), Andross (he wasn't just twirling his mustache), Peppy (he has a daughter, and is a widower), among other things. Little details like that are always nice to have.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2016 at 9:50 AM, Robert Monroe said:

Command's story is  hard to canonize because it has 9 contradicting intertwining storylines, but elements of it can be taken as canon separate from that: the Anglars, Dash, Amanda, Lucy, stuff like that.

Zero contradicts SF64 in several places, the most notable of which is the treatment of Venom, and Miyamoto himself  has said Zero is a reimagining and rebirth of Starfox, so it creates a third continuity.

makes you wonder if any RARE owned characters will still be present in this continutiy

• 3 weeks later...

Krystal showed up in Smash Bros - SFAd characters are in fact not owned by Rare. They showed up in other post-Rare games without problem, so there's no reason why, legally, they shouldn't show up again.