Your thoughts on SF Zero?

ArwingFan

Love it. It's my second favourite game in the series now. A lot of the misunderstanding around the game can be annoying though.

For me, it's a welcome addition to the series.

• Like 1

Good, but not good enough. Its a fun experience, and hella replayable, but it lacks presence and oomph. Nintendo needed Zero to be a knock out title, one that would blow people's minds - instead they played too safe and stuck TOO close to formula. I don't regret buying it, but I wish it was something greater.

Controls also aren't terrible, but the dual screen gimmick is shallow and poorly realized, and most of the time honestly ignorable, which isn't a good sign.

I think it was fun and unlike a lot of titles it tried to innovate. There were quite a few memorable moments and I still plan on trying to 100% the game. That being said, it wasn't really what I think the community wanted, a heavier focus on the story and the writing of the game would have really made it shine for me. It feels like they were trying to play the nostalgia game a little too hard and I think parts of the game ended up feeling a little hokey because of it. I also had some gripes with the controls and definitely with those gyrocopter missions.

I dunno. I want to give it a break because it's a StarFox game but it has some glaring issues. Not really worth $60, but definitely worth $30 for any fan.

EDIT: Also high key the co-op is actually one of my favorite features of Zero; playing through the game co-op on my second run was a total blast, 10/10 Nintendo

• 4 weeks later...

Zero and Guard are much better games than I initially thought before I purchased it.  Zero had some time for me to get used to the controls but I found the game better than 64 when I got the hang of it.  Guard was surprisingly well made and genuinely fun to play.  In fact I played more of Guard than Zero.  I highly recommend both though for Zero I highly recommend you play through training missions before jumping in since it does have some issues with getting used to the controls.

• 2 weeks later...

So, do any of you recommend this game? Or is it a pass?

It felt more like a Wii U filler title than an actual full blown Star Fox game. Controls & story aside, it was ok but barely anything was memorable. There's just wasn't much the game had to talk about that could have given it more life. 

While Nintendo plans to release ports for the Switch it seems unlikely for Zero to get one since the Switch will not be able to play games with dual screens. This is unfortunate since they've could have at least gotten some of the money they lost with SFZ's production cost. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It was... okay. Or to put it more precisely: Not bad, but not that good either.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's well made and of your usual high-quality Nintendo-standard (The delay after the critics really helped), but after such a long waiting time, it was a bit disappointing to "just" receive a reboot.

While I got used to the controls - which took me one playthrough, mind you -, they just felt tacked in, too gimmicky and I'm asking myself if it the overall quality would have decreased without them.
Also, what did you do to Zoness? A stealth-mssion? Come on. Couldn't you have at least kept Sarumarine as the boss? Even with that time limit?

But I've to admit that the number of levels is very impressive for a Star Fox-game. Really inceased the replayabilty for me. Hehe, still figuring out if Sector Gamma has an alternate path because of that warp gate.

Overall though, since it has more (exciting) levels, a great score and a storyline (even if almost non-existent), I consider it better than Star Fox 64 (Haven't played Assault and Command) and despite my initial disappointment, I'm sure that it's is a step in the right way.

• 3 weeks later...

It's great. Controls were unnecessary and it's probably what killed it for many but once you get past that, it's an awesome game overall.

There's a learning curve for the controls, I can't deny that.
But once I completed the first mission, I've grown accustomed to the controls.