Starfox theory: Was Andross the victim?!?!

Snys93

Andross has been long held the main villain of the series, from his destructive creations to his assertion of being the sole ruler of Lylat and beyond. Even his causing Lylat to be 'a wasteland of near extinction'. Let's suppose for a moment that the roles were reversed. Let's speculate that maybe-just maybe we've had it wrong the whole time.

Let's dive into...a Starfox Theory.

(This is an open discussion, feel free to offer your insight be it pro or con)

Bruh I can't concentrate as long as that 'a' is floating out there in your post.

But real talk; maybe. He did shit with Biotech which sounds beneficial and all that jazz and I really wonder why a dude so chill and righteous does a complete 180 and suddenly goes all "fuck morals, do science." There's no logical linear path for that. 

Given that I'd say he's not the victim.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

Bruh I can't concentrate as long as that 'a' is floating out there in your post.

But real talk; maybe. He did shit with Biotech which sounds beneficial and all that jazz and I really wonder why a dude so chill and righteous does a complete 180 and suddenly goes all "fuck morals, do science." There's no logical linear path for that. 

Multi-personality disorder? ... Or just an act?

On 2/10/2017 at 8:44 PM, Dr. Orange said:

That is true. But throw what we do know out the window, the story does have its share of holes. First of all why does he go "ape sh*t" (pun intended) in the first place? It might say in the comics, but where else is it mentioned that this scientist who was doing some good for Lylat suddenly turn Supervillainy? It's never really explored, it's just BAM! Lab accident and he's a bad guy and gets shipped off to exile. It's a lazy plot device or is it something deeper?

Andross went mad for varying but similar reasons depending on the primary canon you're looking at. In all three major ones (SNES, 64, and Zero) he was working on dangerous new technology (generally the dimensional stuff that we see so front and center in Zero, yes that stuff was in the SNES and 64 canon too in supplemental material) that went awry and caused a lot of public harm. In the SNES Nintendo Power comic he explicitly states he was seeking revenge because a Cornerian military experiment went awry and killed his foster family, as well. Either way, Andross is typically said to have felt maligned by his peers who saw his dedication to his work as creepy and obsessive, then the accident happens that varies in specifics from game to game. In the 64 canon it was working with this technology itself that caused the accident, in the Zero canon the technology was revoked from him before he could use it and he went ballistic over it. Either way despite the details the truth across all canon is Andross irresponsibly puts his zeal for progress before the safety and well being of others.

So no, he's not a victim. Sympathetic maybe, but Andross's core flaw is his selfishness: he cared about his experiments more than the lives of innocent people, and then when banished for breaking the rules he throws a temper tantrum and tries to take over the system. 

Wasnt it also that he had a crush on Fox`s mother before she died?

I think i read that somewhere before but i´m not sure if thats relevant today or considered non-canon.

So maybe driven by the loss of his love one he became mad?

In the SNES comic yes Andross loved Vixy but that had nothing to do with his banishment and everything to do with part of why he hated James. It can still be seen as canon given the lack of anything else to go by.

18 minutes ago, Robert Monroe said:

In the SNES comic yes Andross loved Vixy but that had nothing to do with his banishment and everything to do with part of why he hated James. It can still be seen as canon given the lack of anything else to go by.

Oh, okay ^^ btw nice icon of yours, looks custom made.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, everyone in the game is both a hero and a villain, someway, somehow. It's sometimes more to the hero side (Fox), to the villain side (Andross), or is just borderline (Wolf). As for Andross, it is obvious he is more of a villain than a hero, but we have to keep in mind that he was Corneria's head scientist for many years, and despite his evil inventions that probably resulted from conclusions made during these experiments, he was probably able to make many things for Corneria's own defense.

We also can't ignore that he was cared for by android pigs, as shown in Benimaru's comic, and that the CDF nuked the said androids for what seems to be no apparent reason. What comes as an aftermath is a Hitler-esque line of events: Corneria puts Andross in the highest class, funding everything they could for Andross, only to eventually see him destroy Corneria. Twice. From my understanding, they exile him due to the series of murders he causes (James being one of them), but he soon finds his ways on Venom, brainwashes the lizard race that existed on Venom (this even explains pretty well why the events in Adventures occur), and the Lylat War begins.

Sure, we know Andross is evil, but maybe that evil is his way to express in anger and nonconformity to life as he knows it. We see it all the time in human history, so why not make a game out of it? It's weird when you let it soak it, but as the puzzle pieces come together, it all begins to make sense.

• Like 1