The Future of SF-O

DZComposer

Once again, I must apologize. I said I would be back, but I didn't come back.

Truth is, things in my life have moved me away from active participation in this fandom. I still love Star Fox and Nintendo, but in truth I just don't have the drive or motivation to work on this place anymore.

I failed all of you and I apologize for that. I had always told myself that I didn't want to abandon SF-O and let it wither and die like all the other sites, but I realized I was doing just that.

This time, I will not be making a promise that I won't keep, but rather I think it is time for me to do what is best for this community and turn the reins over to someone who is still active.

The registration for starfox-online.net expires in a couple of weeks. I will go ahead and renew it, but I will not renew the IPS license just yet as I feel the decision on that is best left to whomever leads the community going forward.

Whomever takes over will need to provide for the following: A webserver capable of running whatever software platform they choose to continue SF-O on, the licensing for any software, and continued registration of starfox-online.net and starox-online.com. Unfortunately, I will not be able to transfer my Amazon AWS account.

I will assist in what ways I can during the transition. I will provide a complete file backup and database backup.

I won't be too picky about who to pass the torch to, I just want that person to have the support of the community.

Once again, my apologies.

EDIT:

@MKGirlism has offered to take the reins from me. If everyone is OK with this, I will arrange to transfer ownership of the domains and IPS license.

• Like 1

It's okay DZ, we can't fault you when life gets in the way. Thanks for everything and the service you have done to this community. Peace my brother.

Since i just joined here a few weeks ago, i cant say much to it.

Just being sad, that the radio shack will be probably scrapped unless someone takes over it too.

Lets hope the best, that someone will take over the website...

It sucks to see things come to this but rather see the torch passed than snuff it out. We were actually discussing something similar to this on our Discord this week, so perhaps it was fated to be.

Argh.

I don't know what to say about this, but...

I guess, we can consider us lucky that this won't be the end of SF-O.

Oh man, that sucks.

If I had the funds, I would offer to take over without a second thought. Unfortunately, thought, my funds aren't nearly that forgiving.

I hope that the site will be passed to someone who really cares. Passion for this site, and for Star Fox is what they need.

Can I contact you by PM, or by email?
Please reply before this site goes down, I'd like to arrange a deal.

I know how this stuff goes. Life happens and the owner has to pass on the responsibility and tries to get others to help.

Others get sad but aren't able to do anything.

Site dies forever soon after.

I may not have been involved here as much as I was on other sites, but still it was fun.

If I understood tech, and lived on my own, I certainly be open to the task, but that is not my reality. I wish you the best, DZ, and that you aren't alone. We are all, somehow, going through the same path when it comes to the fandom, some more intensely than others. This isn't the first time this occurs in the fandom history, either, but your decision of "passing the site down" is pretty amazing, compared to many Starfox websites that were merely shut down. I'll give you all the support you need. I do hope that you come by every once in awhile though, you are always welcome, and looked upon as a big piece of the Starfox puzzle, but the same way nobody was pushy about my getaways, I do not want to be pushy with your hiatus. Once again, I wish you the best on your next life adventures, and you can always count on us for a helping hand or shoulder to lean on.

@MKGirlism has offered to take the reins from me. If everyone is OK with her running the site, I will arrange to transfer ownership of the domains and IPS license.

• Like 4

I'm okay with it, no complaints. May the dark reign of MKGirlism commence.

Thanks for everything you've done for this place and for the fandom, DZ.  I can't think of a better community to have spent the past seven years as a part of.  So long as you drop by once in a blue moon to furnish the occasional hello, I suppose I can't complain about a transfer of ownership.  MKGirlism, thank you for putting your offer out there as well.

Good luck with the varied sequence of events that we've come to understand as life, and keep us posted! :p

• Like 2

I'm sure she knows what she's doing, so you can bet she has my full support.  I'm just happy to see this site continue to live no matter who is in charge, do us all proud MKGirlism.  The course of SF-O's future will soon be in your capable hands.

Sad to see you depart here, DZ, but at least the site will be headed by another. After all, we can't just let all of this go away, right?

Tread with care, DZ. You will be missed.

We should throw a party or something.

as a trusted internet personality, i would like to be the first to embrace the stone-cold ruthless totalitarian rule of our new overlord, @MKGirlism

as a trusted internet personality, i would like to remind her that i would be very useful in rounding people up to slave away in her salt mines

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, unoservix said:

as a trusted internet personality, i would like to be the first to embrace the stone-cold ruthless totalitarian rule of our new overlord, @MKGirlism

as a trusted internet personality, i would like to remind her that i would be very useful in rounding people up to slave away in her salt mines

The salt mines? I'm sorry, I'll pass. I have an appointment at the spa for a mani-pedi and a massage.

I really appreciate your support, everyone!
I'll make sure to make things great again.

While I thank MK for stepping up to the plate I feel it is in best interest of the site and it's community that someone more experienced with the site should take command. I do not question your ability but given that your tenure here has been under a year I think someone who has been here longer should take the stand.

I volunteer myself as a tribute to take the site as someone who has had years of experience growing up here, forming connections and life long friends. I am familiar with the community and have poured hours into the forum, the Wiki page, the Team Fortress 2 game nights and so on. 

• Like 5

Can't say I'm overly supportive of a relative community newcomer taking the reins. Especially given the circumstances. Many Old-guard and mid-guard aged community members are still around and would be better candidates given community involvement over the years.

Sorry to hear life's got you by the collar DZ but I completely understand. Here's hoping it lets up sometime soon and we can all have one big happy reunion of SF-O buds.

Edit: If Orange is going to step up to the plate, then he's got my support. I've worked with small-scale community management in my time over at Discovery so- I'd also volunteer to assist Exec as a moderator of some description should that be necessary.

I'd be willing to step up to DZ's place.

I'm, at this point, part of the "old guard" of the site (alongside Orange and Scourge). I've been a part of SF-O since (holy shit) 2010. I grew up here, and more than a lot of people, I have stake in the site. I've got the majority of the technical competency required to run the site, and anything I don't know I'm genuinely interested in learning as it actually will benefit my career to know how to administrate a site like this. I am also the current administrator of, well, the shambling undead return of the SF-O TF2 server. I have a decent amount of experience leading large groups of people and even though I'm a busy college student, more than likely have enough free time (and well more than enough motivation) to be able to mange keeping the site afloat. I will be in need of a content moderation team, but it sounds like there's a good few of you that would be willing to step up to the plate.

SF-O is, more than any other site on the internet, a home away from home for me. As I've grown and matured, I've seen the site do the same. I've seen a lot of members come and go, and the majority of my online friend group comes from this site. The Starfox fandom is one of the most dedicated groups of people I've ever had the chance of meeting.

I've spent 7 years on this site. I don't want to let it go, because we're one of the last bastions of the Starfox fandom. I won't let you guys down.

• Like 3

Cycling back here, but Lone's got my support.

Older community members with a vested interest and history in the community should really be the inheritors of the community in my mind. Y'don't get a much better choice matching that criteria than Lone in our current climate.- and I've already offered to help him in cost and administration.

#Lone4SFO
#SFOVetTriumvarte

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

While I thank MK for stepping up to the plate I feel it is in best interest of the site and it's community that someone more experienced with the site should take command. I do not question your ability but given that your tenure here has been under a year I think someone who has been here longer should take the stand.

I volunteer myself as a tribute to take the site as someone who has had years of experience growing up here, forming connections and life long friends. I am familiar with the community and have poured hours into the forum, the Wiki page, the Team Fortress 2 game nights and so on. 

I understand what you mean, and I think it's realistic as well.
However, do you have a history of managing a community?

Because I have 10 years of experience managing the DSHack.org community already, that has been one of my reasons to succeed DZ-sama.
But if people think you're a better fit, then it's fine as well, because in the end, I always think it's for the better to decide democratically.

Maybe a dedicated thread with a poll, where every volunteer can present his qualities and then let the community decide?

I could do such a thread, if there's the need for that.

• Like 1