The Future of SF-O

DZComposer

8 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

The domain is figured out, hosting check, three admins. I think we're set up for greatness.

Honestly, this is sounding solid. Here we go b o y s 

• Like 1

MkGirlism, Dr. Orange, and LoneWolf, I'd like to put full faith into you guys. You are the heroes that this community needs AND deserves.

I see a bright future ahead.

Please post moar maymays plox

• Like 2

So I apparently became a Moderator?
Quite unexpected, but thanks, I guess.

I can't give you anything higher than that , thought on at least opening the staff section for you to look around.

I guess you will be able to do whatever is planned after DZ does the transition. When this is done, other than Vydrach and OneUnder, please go ahead and remove everyone else under the staff positions as they are no longer active.

It starts to make more sense now, but still, I thought it wouldn't happen, until after the transition is completed.
Because right now, everything is still in DZs' hands.

Honestly, if it's already official that DZ chose you as the new SF-O main admin, I don't see why you can't start working on the re-structure. Plan and design phase can occur and execute whatever board changes are planned after you are boosted to admin.

If you need community inputs, you can already start asking. Prepping your team should also be something else feasible at this point. If Discord will be used as main chatting platform, you can also get in contact with the mods in there to propose changes, improvements, yatayata. Up to you, Orange and Lone to work this one out if that's the final main admin team.

I just got word from Orange about this whole situation, and figured I'd pop by. Thank you for all the dedicated years you've put into this place, DZ. I'll always remember the good times, and I wish the new staff the best of luck.

I've already rearranged the old steam group with some new officers to take the reins of it and hopefully bring some new life to it. However, I'll be keeping DZ as one of the head officers. In whatever time you have in your new chapter, you're always welcome to help contribute. To me, you'll always be SF-O's face.

OK, just so I'm clear:

MK gets the domains and IPS License.

MK, Lone, and Orage gets admin.

I'll promote admins now.

I'll transfer domains and stuff tomorrow or Saturday. IPS may take a little longer as I'm not sure the process. Note that the license is currently expired, I advise renewing and updating ASAP after transfer.

I would like to retain my admin position until the transfer is complete and everything is running smoothly on the new server. Then I will step down.

EDIT: Lone and Orange are assistants and MK is Owner/Tech.

I'm fine with that.
I've also been themeing my own board software after the current forum.
Take a look:

sfo1.png

If there's anything you would like to see differently, please don't hesitate to tell me so, preferably before the transfer takes place.

Forgive me about the background, it's the way the page screenshotting tool works, it's not my fault.
Also, I'm convinced my assistant Admins will perform really well, plus I promise to be more active than I used to be.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

I'll be keeping DZ as one of the head officers. In whatever time you have in your new chapter, you're always welcome to help contribute. To me, you'll always be SF-O's face.

DZ is on a higher level now. 

You might not be Admin anymore but hell you're God status now.

I look to you as someone who kept the Starfox Fandom together after the fall of sites like OTG and Arwing Landing.

If it wasn't for SF-O, I'd have never met all of the friends I've made connections with. 

Thank you.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Dr. Orange said:

I believe this calls for designating DZ and Steve official saviors of the fandom. :p

Got to make a new Badge:

SFO: Saviors 

• Like 1

H Y P E

DZ. One other thing is that we'd like to get the twitter handle if we could too.

Orange, Sawtooth, MK, good luck you three. Let's bring SF-O back to it's former glory. :)

12 hours ago, MKGirlism said:

Since you asked me yesterday and received my not so positive opinion, I can just reiterate my suggestion to keep the current design as close as possible. :neutral:

• Like 1

^ This

Monster eyesore redesign not needed, board is fine as is.

• Like 1

I have to agree.  The boards we have now are fine, and really, switching to new ones makes me uneasy...  Speaking from experience at other sites that have switched software, switching board software often means losing old accounts and old content.  I don't want to have to create a new account so soon when it's not even a year old, and then there's the headache of moving all the content from here over to a new board just so we don't lose anything.

I'll make sure to port everything over.
Only passwords will likely be an issue to port, due to very different hashing methods, but I'm thinking of a solution to that problem.

IP.Board might be nice, but the problem is, it's unlicensed and outdated at this stage, so not only it's illegal to use IP.Board unlicensed, it's also potentially dangerous.
I mean, IP.Board does have a history of continuously fixing XSS security leaks, and if the board is unlicensed, there's no way to update it, nor it's possible to get support from the IPS Team if anything happens.

And with my own system, it's possible to add new features, fix security issues, remove what we don't need, etc., without any 3rd party involvement.
But as I said on Discord, I won't switch software, until it's made 100% compatible (or 99%, if I'm in a hurry).

For the record, it is not against IPS's ToS to use the software on an expired license. But yes, security patches are necessary and the site is currently behind.

I sent the domain transfer info.

Now we just need to find a time to make the file and database transfer.

I've got the domains over now.
DNS settings are all kept the same for now, so that downtime would be avoided.

I've approved everything. Dreamhost will release the domains on March 23.

Yep, the site will live on, just with different people in charge.