David201's Star Fox Observations and Theories

david201

4 hours ago, Arkenova said:

I fully agree on this. Though note that the story and graphics shouldn't be the only things, gameplay is just, if not more, important. Another thing, is it me or are we in some weird timeloop with the main developers obsessing over SF64 in a sense? I get that alot of people like it but is there anything wrong with trying something more out of the box? Just saying.

However, this isn't a bad idea tbh.

it's not a timeloop. To me, Each version of the lylat war is just an exaggerated and inconsistent retelling that gets more and more ridiculous as a result of Cornerian propaganda. History is written by the victors anyway.

For me, I want a 64 reimagining that gave us the REAL lylat war, not Cornerian propaganda or the vengefuil retelling by an orphaned fox.

Since Zero is a reboot of 64, which was a reboot of the original Snes Star Fox game (as well as the comics and the second Snes game), each of those games portrays versions of the lylat wars that, although similar in basic premise, involve a different chain of events from the last. people are saying it's a time loop or that the developers are obsessing over the success of 64. I, on the other hand, I have a more rational theory

History is written by the victors. What we see in the games is told by the victors. In this case Star Fox and Corneria

- The Snes version of events is told from the tall tales made up by Lylat's inhabitants (look at the comic)

- The N64/3ds version is General Pepper's account of the war of secondhand account fo what fox reported to him.

- The WiiU Zero version is Fox's account of the war.

The events of the lylat war as depicted in the two SNES Starfox games, the snes comic, Starfox 64/3ds and Zero, is in fact an exaggerated, inconsistent, and warped account of the War. It's either the result of Cornerian propaganda, Star fox team's own inconsistent accounts, and Fox's anger and grudge against Andross for killing his parents giving him reason to retell an unreliable and twisted version of the war.

So everything you saw when you played these games, is little more than propaganda generated by the winning side.

If war is told from a "black and white" perspective. It implies that its being retold by the victor of the war and that its little more than propaganda to make that side look heroic. The Victors are also the ones to determing who was "Good" and who was "Evil".

Even Star Wars had already started shedding the old "Good rebels evil empire" shtick and show a more nuanced view of saga. Some fans are starting to view the conflict like this: "Rebels are terrorists and Empire wasn't entirely evil"

If only there were a game that depicted the lylat war in it's full unaltered and nuanced glory. The Great Fox in "Adventures" might actually have been it's true appearance during the lylat war.

In short: None of it's true. It's all Cornerian lies and Mercenary filth

2 hours ago, david201 said:

it's not a timeloop. To me, Each version of the lylat war is just an exaggerated and inconsistent retelling that gets more and more ridiculous as a result of Cornerian propaganda. History is written by the victors anyway.

For me, I want a 64 reimagining that gave us the REAL lylat war, not Cornerian propaganda or the vengefuil retelling by an orphaned fox.

Now that you mentioned about it, the quote and all, makes alot of sense. The series had been going down that route for sometime and seeing new viewpoints from the other characters would be a good call because it's just not one individual telling some confused, messy story.

51 minutes ago, Arkenova said:

Now that you mentioned about it, the quote and all, makes alot of sense. The series had been going down that route for sometime and seeing new viewpoints from the other characters would be a good call because it's just not one individual telling some confused, messy story.

The Snes Version's comics hinted that the lylat wars in that game are a retold as tall tales by the people of lylat, specifically Papetoon.

The N64/#DS version could be General Pepper's propaganda.

The Zero version of the same conflict could be Fox's biased account of the conflict.

Bottom line here is that what we see in the games is just propaganda told by only one side to dehumanize the enemy

3 hours ago, david201 said:

I've always been interested in the idea that a game or movie is in universe propaganda, kinda like star ship troopers, or hell divers. Not that I'm agreeing or anything, but that would explain the weirdness of Andrew Oinkany's little rebellion in Assault, I doubt mercenaries would back up a suicidal defense or attack or whatever it was that was going on, on Fortuna.

Though I'm pretty sure that was just the writers glossing over an intro before getting into the meat of a story.

36 minutes ago, Sylono said:

I've always been interested in the idea that a game or movie is in universe propaganda, kinda like star ship troopers, or hell divers. Not that I'm agreeing or anything, but that would explain the weirdness of Andrew Oinkany's little rebellion in Assault, I doubt mercenaries would back up a suicidal defense or attack or whatever it was that was going on, on Fortuna.

Though I'm pretty sure that was just the writers glossing over an intro before getting into the meat of a story.

Though it is interesting that for the entire starfox series, all this time the player was just fed Cornerian propaganda and tall tales (Adventures and Command)

10 hours ago, Arkenova said:

Like Naza said, if it is like Assault or Adventures, maybe it could be interesting.

boarding a ship an infiltrating it to take con trol would most likely involve a lot of that

Dumbass if all you think it takes to be a fucking Jedi is brain lasers and a magic space sword then you have zero fucking understanding of what the fuck a Jedi even is do you even WATCH star wars

An interesting suggestion but what exactly evidence do you lean on to support it? SNES canon being a mythologized tall tale due to the in-universe mythologizing of Star Fox itself is actually an interesting idea, but what supports 64 being Pepper's account and Zero being Fox's account, specifically?

also Star Wars fans who call the Rebels terrorists are fucking morons

yes Rogue One showed that some were extremist loony bins who blew people up in the streets

but Rogue One also showed that the empire BLEW UP PLANETS

the handful of possible innocent civilians caught in the crossfire on Jeddah is INSIGNIFICANT to the amount of people who died when the Death Star USED JEDDAH AS A LASER TEST

to say nothing of Alderaan (or the Empire's own forces that got caught on Scarif when they DID THE SAME THING THEY DID ON JEDDAH which was especially egreigious as the Death Star does have regular ass bombardment weapons too. As do Star Destroyers.)

either way the "terrorism" the Rebels may or may not have comitted is fucking peanuts to the LITERAL FASCIST TERROR RULE of the empire ruled by a fucking psychotic evil wizard who literally staged a CIVIL WAR to rise to power (causing who knows how many needless deaths in THAT war just to make a power grab) so Empire apologists can literally fuck off

I'm really not I just think the best way to undercut stupidity is to actually discuss it thus exposing it for what it is instead of screaming at it to go away

Some kind of spin off based around capital ship combat/strategy would actually be pretty fun if done right. I'd give it a shake at any rate.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, david201 said:

Re imagines Star Fox 64 yet again

pls no

i'm a Zero apologist and even i think rebooting the Lylat Wars ad infintium is a bad idea

but depicts the lylat war more realistically

yes because when i think melodramatic space opera furries i think REALISM. grimdark grimreal starfox needs to fuck off already

more nuanced and not as the outdated "Black and White" conflict that Even Star wars is starting to outgrow.

I already made a rant about Star Wars in another thread but in short just because the good guys sometimes maybe do bad things doesn't even come close or compare to the bullshit the badguys do

Star Fox and similarly Star Wars simply are not in settings fit to morally greying THAT much. You can do some, yes, but ultimately it IS fact that Andross is a selfish evil cunt who needs to be stopped. The moral stopgap between Corneria and Andross is just TOO FUCKING BIG to realistically close without fundamentally changing what Corneria IS.

- Features more diverse gameplay rather than just rail shooter and vehicular combat. 

this is the #1 stock ass shitty buzzword salad for anyone who wants a "deep" star fox without fucking actually having any ideas as to how or why

GOOD GAMEPLAY IS NOT ABOUT HOW MANY OR WHAT KINDS OF GAMEPLAY YOU HAVE YOU TOSSPOTS ITS ABOUT MAKING WHAT YOU DO HAVE REALLY FUCKING GOOD

I WISH THIS MEME THAT STAR FOX NEEDS TO BECOME AN EDGY GEARS OF MASS EFFECT DUTY INFINITE WARFARE CLONE TO "KEEP UP" AND "GET MODERN" WOULD FUCKING DIE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

but no really why does vehicular combat get such a shit stick and people act like PEOPLE COMBAT would somehow fucking fix it? at least vehicles allow for creative cool weird visually interesting ideas and not HIDE BEHDIND COVER: THE EXPERIENCE

Humanizes the antagonists, like have Andross be shown as an extremist revolutionary instead of an insane mad scientist emperor (that description being the result of cornerian propaganda). This andross is less a mad ape scientist and more of a visionary who's ideas and concepts were suppressed by Corneria's close minded society. In this case, James and Vixy's death were either accidental or unrelated to him. Fox simply put blame on him.

humanizing Andross is something that's already been poked in in other games (namely Command) but if your humanizing of Andross comes at the expense of REWRITING Andross's canon entirely then it is WRONG. As someone who RPs a sympathetic but iltimately fucking bad Andross, you have to know where the balance line is. Yes, Andross was misunderstood, yes, Andross was hamstringed by Cornerian conservatism.

but you can't just keep the sadfeels parts and throw away the bullshit he did because that's unbalanced and that's not who Andross IS. That isn't making him "deep" or "nuanced" thats literally taking writing AWAY from his character, writing that has DEFINED his character for over 20 years. Andross is sympathetic in ways yes but he ultimately made the choice to be a warmongering bastard who wanted REVENGE and didn't care who got fucked in the crossfire. Taking that away, and the deaths he's caused (including James and Vixy both of which are personal to Andross' character) is fucking stupid.

- had missions that consist of more than one objective and are more complex.

like? give ideas not buzzwords

- Had misisons inspired by other wars such as the vietnam war (Sauria) or the gulf war (Papetoon).

because when i think of melodramatic space operas i think chemical warfare, political handtying, fanatical idealism and protest rock

also papetoon is the American west not the Persian gulf you doofus

Made Cerinia, Animus and Sauria as battlefronts in the lylat wars (environmental damage ensues).

what the fuck is animus

is this some original the character planet shit

if you want to sell an idea don't inject your fanfiction bullshit into it because lord have mercy this pill is already hard to swallow

- added Jedi-like space wizards inhabiting sauria and Cerinia.

AGAIN WITH THE JEDI

WHAT IS WITH THIS OBSESSION M8

YOU DONT EVEN FUCKING KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO EVEN BE A JEDI AS PREVIOUS THREADS HAVE SHOWN

you must be literally 12 this is the only explanation i will accept

this thread is garbage and embodies the garbage mindsets of this fandom as a whole fuck ME

2 minutes ago, Robert Monroe said:

humanizing Andross is something that's already been poked in in other games (namely Command) but if your humanizing of Andross comes at the expense of REWRITING Andross's canon entirely then it is WRONG. As someone who RPs a sympathetic but iltimately fucking bad Andross, you have to know where the balance line is. Yes, Andross was misunderstood, yes, Andross was hamstringed by Cornerian conservatism.

but you can't just keep the sadfeels parts and throw away the bullshit he did because that's unbalanced and that's not who Andross IS. That isn't making him "deep" or "nuanced" thats literally taking writing AWAY from his character, writing that has DEFINED his character for over 20 years. Andross is sympathetic in ways yes but he ultimately made the choice to be a warmongering bastard who wanted REVENGE and didn't care who got fucked in the crossfire. Taking that away, and the deaths he's caused (including James and Vixy both of which are personal to Andross' character) is fucking stupid.

quoting myself because i'm just that cool but do you want a great example of a revision of a classic nintendo villain done right

fucking

Wind Waker Ganondorf

with only a handful of scenes to even use, WW presents to us a Ganondorf that is deeply sympatheitc and even tragic as he longs for a history and era of a Hyrule long past, one who looks over the flooded old kingdom with melancholy and respect and you can't help but feel bad for the big bearded guy as he does

but it does so WITHOUT TAKING AWAY THE FACT HE IS STILL THE GODDAMN KING OF EVIL and the entire reason he even feels regretful to begin with is because he wants to RULE said flooded old kingdom and is PISSED OFF he's been denied his DESTINY

he is at once both sad and sympathetic because he is treated like a goddamn human being with FEELINGS and EMOTIONS but without letting that DISTRACT from or CONFLICT with his status as an awful dark wizard warlord

because YOU SEE IVAN the thing about awful fucking terrible people is that yes they are PEOPLE with FEELINGS and EMOTIONS and DESIRES and LOVE

but they're also AWFUL. FUCKING. PEOPLE.

you can be sympathetic and solemn and still be a shitty fucking person who does shitty fucking things and sympathetic writing does not mean JUSTIFIED writing.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Robert Monroe said:

An interesting suggestion but what exactly evidence do you lean on to support it? SNES canon being a mythologized tall tale due to the in-universe mythologizing of Star Fox itself is actually an interesting idea, but what supports 64 being Pepper's account and Zero being Fox's account, specifically?

yes Rogue One showed that some were extremist loony bins who blew people up in the streets

the handful of possible innocent civilians caught in the crossfire on Jeddah is INSIGNIFICANT to the amount of people who died when the Death Star USED JEDDAH AS A LASER TEST

to say nothing of Alderaan (or the Empire's own forces that got caught on Scarif when they DID THE SAME THING THEY DID ON JEDDAH which was especially egreigious as the Death Star does have regular ass bombardment weapons too. As do Star Destroyers.)

either way the "terrorism" the Rebels may or may not have comitted is fucking peanuts to the LITERAL FASCIST TERROR RULE of the empire ruled by a fucking psychotic evil wizard who literally staged a CIVIL WAR to rise to power (causing who knows how many needless deaths in THAT war just to make a power grab) so Empire apologists can literally fuck off

I believe when I mentioned about some timeloop scenario in another thread gave him the idea, but to be honest, they feel more like one-sided retellings of the entire Lylat Wars scenario, either it's from Pepper, Fox or any other individuals. Of course, I admit that I am wrong since there exists a branched-out timeline of the series lore but the eerie sense of dejavu kinda confuses me.

5 hours ago, Robert Monroe said:

pls no

i'm a Zero apologist and even i think rebooting the Lylat Wars ad infintium is a bad idea

yes because when i think melodramatic space opera furries i think REALISM. grimdark grimreal starfox needs to fuck off already

I already made a rant about Star Wars in another thread but in short just because the good guys sometimes maybe do bad things doesn't even come close or compare to the bullshit the badguys do

Star Fox and similarly Star Wars simply are not in settings fit to morally greying THAT much. You can do some, yes, but ultimately it IS fact that Andross is a selfish evil cunt who needs to be stopped. The moral stopgap between Corneria and Andross is just TOO FUCKING BIG to realistically close without fundamentally changing what Corneria IS.

this is the #1 stock ass shitty buzzword salad for anyone who wants a "deep" star fox without fucking actually having any ideas as to how or why

GOOD GAMEPLAY IS NOT ABOUT HOW MANY OR WHAT KINDS OF GAMEPLAY YOU HAVE YOU TOSSPOTS ITS ABOUT MAKING WHAT YOU DO HAVE REALLY FUCKING GOOD

I WISH THIS MEME THAT STAR FOX NEEDS TO BECOME AN EDGY GEARS OF MASS EFFECT DUTY INFINITE WARFARE CLONE TO "KEEP UP" AND "GET MODERN" WOULD FUCKING DIE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

but no really why does vehicular combat get such a shit stick and people act like PEOPLE COMBAT would somehow fucking fix it? at least vehicles allow for creative cool weird visually interesting ideas and not HIDE BEHDIND COVER: THE EXPERIENCE

like? give ideas not buzzwords

because when i think of melodramatic space operas i think chemical warfare, political handtying, fanatical idealism and protest rock

also papetoon is the American west not the Persian gulf you doofus

what the fuck is animus

is this some original the character planet shit

if you want to sell an idea don't inject your fanfiction bullshit into it because lord have mercy this pill is already hard to swallow

AGAIN WITH THE JEDI

WHAT IS WITH THIS OBSESSION M8

YOU DONT EVEN FUCKING KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO EVEN BE A JEDI AS PREVIOUS THREADS HAVE SHOWN

you must be literally 12 this is the only explanation i will accept

this thread is garbage and embodies the garbage mindsets of this fandom as a whole fuck ME

quoting myself because i'm just that cool but do you want a great example of a revision of a classic nintendo villain done right

fucking

Wind Waker Ganondorf

with only a handful of scenes to even use, WW presents to us a Ganondorf that is deeply sympatheitc and even tragic as he longs for a history and era of a Hyrule long past, one who looks over the flooded old kingdom with melancholy and respect and you can't help but feel bad for the big bearded guy as he does

but it does so WITHOUT TAKING AWAY THE FACT HE IS STILL THE GODDAMN KING OF EVIL and the entire reason he even feels regretful to begin with is because he wants to RULE said flooded old kingdom and is PISSED OFF he's been denied his DESTINY

he is at once both sad and sympathetic because he is treated like a goddamn human being with FEELINGS and EMOTIONS but without letting that DISTRACT from or CONFLICT with his status as an awful dark wizard warlord

because YOU SEE IVAN the thing about awful fucking terrible people is that yes they are PEOPLE with FEELINGS and EMOTIONS and DESIRES and LOVE

but they're also AWFUL. FUCKING. PEOPLE.

you can be sympathetic and solemn and still be a shitty fucking person who does shitty fucking things and sympathetic writing does not mean JUSTIFIED writing.

Oh my. There is so much about SF I don't know. I need to get an emulator and play.

6 hours ago, Robert Monroe said:

I'm really not I just think the best way to undercut stupidity is to actually discuss it thus exposing it for what it is instead of screaming at it to go away

That is a great philosophy.

It's a new Star Fox game. We'd all play it, then complain about it, just as we've always done with new Star Fox games.

Of course they're one sided they're from the POV of the heroes, but even supplementary lore from Strat guides and other resources doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture (Macbeth being mined by labor camps for example, or the entirety of Zoness).

Like you can't just say Fox/Pepper made up Zoness being polluted it is right there for everyone to see. Same for stuff like Aquas, however noble Andross' goals might have been to himself he still did some Fucked Up Shit TM to see them through.

Either way that wasn't what I was asking, I was asking what exactly makes 64 "Pepper centric" and Zero "Fox" centric, because neither of them terribly lean on said characters for their narrative (at best both are Fox-biased because you play as him and thus everything is from "his perspective"), to say nothing of the fact that all three lylat war games basically pick and choose from the same basic canon lore (Andross, experiments gone wrong, dead parents, betrayal, spacetime bullshit, etc).

(Flicking pointing finger back and forth) YOU GOT THAT IDEA FROM MEEEEEEEEE! XD

Personally, if it came to me, I'd rather make it a spinoff, staring a team from the Cornerian Army, tasked with relief efforts to Macbeth. It could have a campaign/story, or it could be structured with randomised mission objectives, and you could be bring up to three other friends along for the ride for whatever mission you feel like. Play until you're bored! There's plenty of missions to go around!

4 hours ago, Robert Monroe said:

Of course they're one sided they're from the POV of the heroes, but even supplementary lore from Strat guides and other resources doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture (Macbeth being mined by labor camps for example, or the entirety of Zoness).

Like you can't just say Fox/Pepper made up Zoness being polluted it is right there for everyone to see. Same for stuff like Aquas, however noble Andross' goals might have been to himself he still did some Fucked Up Shit TM to see them through.

Either way that wasn't what I was asking, I was asking what exactly makes 64 "Pepper centric" and Zero "Fox" centric, because neither of them terribly lean on said characters for their narrative (at best both are Fox-biased because you play as him and thus everything is from "his perspective"), to say nothing of the fact that all three lylat war games basically pick and choose from the same basic canon lore (Andross, experiments gone wrong, dead parents, betrayal, spacetime bullshit, etc).

i call 64 pepper centric because its more like a secondhand retelling of what fox reported back to him, and he changed the details a bit including the end of the war.

12 hours ago, Robert Monroe said:

the rebels inherited a mess after the empire was defeated and their new republic didnt fare too well afterwards (regime that acquiesces to disorder). They didnt have a long term plan of what to do after the empire. Apparently the First order emerged and the republic did nothing about it until:

sHtQrVc.gif

1 hour ago, david201 said:

i call 64 pepper centric because its more like a secondhand retelling of what fox reported back to him, and he changed the details a bit including the end of the war.

but what MAKES it that? Zero and 64 are both handled narratively identical almost.

1 hour ago, david201 said:

the rebels inherited a mess after the empire was defeated and their new republic didnt fare too well afterwards (regime that acquiesces to disorder). They didnt have a long term plan of what to do after the empire. Apparently the First order emerged and the republic did nothing about it until:

that has zero bearing on the Rebellion as it exists as the Rebellion with regards to dealing with the empire. The New Republic's failings to regulate the galaxy and bring imperial remnants to heel until the First Order started blowing shit up is irrelevant. (and this is just going along with the conceit of taking what the New Trilogy offers at face value and not tearing it apart for being a plot hole ridden mess)

bottom line is there is no moral equivalency between the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire. Even if you DO account for the New Republic sucking ass its STILL not as bad.

Just now, Robert Monroe said:

but what MAKES it that? Zero and 64 are both handled narratively identical almost.

that has zero bearing on the Rebellion as it exists as the Rebellion with regards to dealing with the empire. The New Republic's failings to regulate the galaxy and bring imperial remnants to heel until the First Order started blowing shit up is irrelevant. (and this is just going along with the conceit of taking what the New Trilogy offers at face value and not tearing it apart for being a plot hole ridden mess)

bottom line is there is no moral equivalency between the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire. Even if you DO account for the New Republic sucking ass its STILL not as bad.

Narratively identical but different nontheless

HOW ARE THEY DIFFERENT

MAKE

AN

EXPLANATION

GIVE

EVIDENCE

BACK

UP

YOUR

STATEMENT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert Monroe said:

HOW ARE THEY DIFFERENT

MAKE

AN

EXPLANATION

GIVE

EVIDENCE

BACK

UP

YOUR

STATEMENT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What im saying here is that Zero is narratively similar but the details in the story are different such as locations, vehicles, etc.

Zero is Fox's own biased retelling of the war. 64 could be the result of the Cornerian propaganda machine getting wind of Fox's story and twisting the details even further.Nobody likes to talk of this but command could be viewed as conflicting retellings of the anglar war being the result of Corneria's tabloid news or Gossip and rumours circulated by the cornerian people.

look

buddy

pal

guy

i understand that's what you're saying

what I AM SAYING is WHY are you saying that? what evidence exists, in game, that suggests Zero is Fox's own bias and 64 is Pepper/Cornerian propaganda? You can't just asspull theories without something to hold those theories up.