Survival on an unknown planet (Casual)

UAZ-469

"And almost killed me" Amai quipped, kicking at the ground slightly.  She wasn't a huge fan of the whole guns business.  They're noisy and bombastic.  And there seemed to really be only one or two types of people that carry them. 

Loran hopped up as Andrej prepared to leave, somewhat worried, and a spark in her eyes seemed that she wanted to go as well. She tugged his coat as she looked at him with a fire in her soul.

"If we're a better combatant than you, then you at least need another person to scout. This pilot doesn't pull any punches, either!"

As she emboldened herself, she playfully punched his shin rapidly, merely cotton balls hitting at a fluttering pace in terms of force.

--

The pilot had reached the cliff side, scanning the area for a clearing and place to camp...of no use for the nearing darkness, but something caught his eye. A trail of knife marks, and with the marks leading into every few he passed, it was of no coincidence that they existed. The hunch would be a risky one, but he held his chances high as he followed the trail...

I'm really sorry that I attacked you”, Andrej apologized to the snow leopard. “I never intended to hurt you, but I hope that you can understand my situation back then and that I had all reasons to suspect you as a monster trying to sneak up on me.”

Then looking amused at Macrine, he kneeled down and said, “I appreciate your courage, but it would make more sense if you stay here and help the others building up some defences. If you absolutely want to come with me, then I won't stop you, but then I need to inform you that you have to stay close to me. Because if the thing I am looking for spots you, things might get... complicated.”

Loran kept up her spirits, but stopped her punches to think about truly going. If Andrej had worries of complicated matters, perhaps it'd be safer if it were only him, but also what about Andrej getting himself hurt alone? She did seem less adamant about going, but nonetheless, still wanted to go.

She thought about what she had to offer in terms of fighting, and simply decided to show Andrej what was behind her scarf, her metallic necklace, its green LED glowing brightly.

"Don't you worry, if push comes to shove, I have this to at least help me out! Can't use it for long, but it'll warn me!"

(Muryin)

"We will be safe, Mr. Andrej," she said with confidence, "do your part and return safely."

(Kaan)

"I am Molek Kaan, I'm a warrior not a soldier." He said the word soldier with contempt, possibly because it was considered a human word. Hatred just seemed to pour off of him or maybe it was the extreme body temperature he gave off, a phenomena even he couldn't explain.

Kaan didn't think much of his companion as he charged into the brush, people had a habit of dying around him and seemed to not cared if anyone lived or died. But strangely he was on a mission to recovered someone from this planet. Why was he sent and not a team of colonial Marines?

"That makes sense," Shepherd mused, as far as she knew, swords were non-reg in most armies she was aware of. Not that this fellow struck her as the military type, Kaan didn't look like a man who'd follow orders.

"Well, Mr. Kaan, are you an independent contractor?" She asked, occasionally turning to visually confirm a small critter was indeed a just that, instead of a far off dangerous predator. She almost forgot how paranoid this device made her.

"No, I'm part of a military unit. Each member specializes in a specific field of expertise. I demonstrate that the old ways are just as good as modern weaponry. But I am not a registered member of the colonial armed forces, I'm a prisoner you might say, earning points toward freedom... But I don't care, I dont play nice with others and the points do earn don't count. But what does it matter? They'll never release me into society, a wolf among sheep. As long as I'm conscripted to kill and do missions for them, I kill who I want, when I want and take what I want...I don't care about anything."

"I - uh... see." The ethics involved in Kaan's situation screamed 'political shit storm' in Shepherd's mind, she almost had to wonder if this was how all their conversations were going to go. Kicking a stick out of her path, she then asked:

"Right, we're out to find someone right? Mind describing this... erm," The girl caught herself before she could voice 'unlucky', Shepherd had a feeling that she wouldn't get to know who ever they were looking for, "- this individual"

The old officer smiled once more and gently patted Macrine on her head. “Excellent! You will be a great help preventing us from being eaten alive.” He then stood up, put his helmet on and said, with the voice-changer distorting his voice again, “Well soldiers, if there are no more questions or objections, I'd like to commence the operation.”

Kaan gave her a quick glance before answering. "She's a medical officer, 5'8", dark skin, blonde hair, elf-like features. Answers to the name Muryin Zacca. She was part of a convoy and got cut off from the rest of them when pirates attacked. Her last signal pointed toward this planet and we're heading to her downed ship now."

"Tough break." Having dealt with pirate raids before, the clone could sympathize, a well organized group of pirates during a surprise attack could be costly. Chances are, with her luck so far, they'ed run into a few on this world and with her newfound comrade, first contact would be less than civil. It was then the vixen remembered her weapon was empty at the moment.

"Do you think we'll run into any?" Shepherd asked, re-engaging the weapon clip before shouldering the thing away, before clarifying. "Any pirates, I mean."

"If we do," reaches behind him and grips the hilt of his sword, "I'll separate the white and dark meats and roast them on an open flame."

There were noises up ahead, Kaan dove behind a section of brush much like a predator. To ascertain who or what he was dealing with he sniffed the air. They were upwind from the noise and Kaan caught a deep wiff of the four individuals. He didn't see them yet but he could definitely smell them and a source of water nearby.

"Something is up ahead. Four individual or maybe four. There's moisture, so there's water too."

Putting her hands on her hips, Shepherd gave the man a hard look. Before she could voice her opinion on the elf-demon-ish man's rather vulgar proclamation, he had already reacted to noises just ahead. Despite only taking notice of them a moment or two later, Shepherd had couched low and followed after Kaan, her hand reach to her and drawing her blaster pistol from it's holster.

"You could tell that just by a couple sniffs?" Shepherd whispered her question, before shaking her head, that was irrelevant, her APS was more or less telling her the same thing. "Er... nevermind."

She considered their options, the fox's fur colour made recon on her part a troubling matter, her flight suit also wasn't made for blending in (The hain didn't give her a chance to change).

"I could approach them, see if your VIP is among them." Shepherd offered, seeing as Kaan evidently wasn't much of a charming conversationalist. There was unfortunately one problem with the idea, well, a problem for her at least.

"However, my shields might not hold out if they shoot on sight."

"No risk, no gain. Stay here if you must, I'm going ahead." He crawled forward sword still on his back and spear in hand, but still like a predator none the less. Kaan's scanned the ground and his surroundings as he proceeded further lke a lion.

With a sigh, she watched the man crawl off until he was through the brush and out of sight. In an attempt to adapt to Kaan's unsaid plan, Shepherd carefully began to circle around the four unknown's position. Should they indeed be hostiles, she'd be able to surprise them.

"If they don't already know we're here." Shepherd muttered, if she had tech, it was a safe bet they did.

After watching Andrej leave the area she then turned Loran and Amai. "No do not be alarmed, but we are going to have some visitors."

When Kaan heard that, he knew the jig was up and ceased being stealthy and stood straight up and walked the rest of the way. Muryin heard the rustle in the brush and turned around. There was look of surprise on her face, but not one of alarm. She opened her mouth to speak. "Lord Sergeant!?!?!?"

Loran had been out of focus until the thought of new visitors entered her head out of the blue. She actually had been too late to react, she had been abandoned by Andrej, and was quite despaired about that, but other thoughts were in her head now.

"Ooh? The way ya said that about visitors...Maybe they might be helpful!"

--

The trail of knife marks came to a close, leaving the pilot with a range of directions to carry forth. Irritated, he looked at his boots in thought, that is until his ears twitched. He had heard the words 'Lord Sergeant' out of the blue, to the east, and proceeded to continue that direction, cautiously...

"Shepherd, come on out." Kaan walked into the encampment, his eyes scanning the treeline. There was look disappointment upon seeing only the medic and two others. "Where's the forth one," Kaan said coldly.

Muryin was feeling a complexed mix of emotions upon seeing the Lord Sergeant. She of course knew him as opposed to knowing of him as well as knowing what he was capable of. She was keenly aware of his bloodthirsty nature and his brutality in the face of the enemy. "I never thought I would see you again," Muryin said smiling.

Responding in a unfeeling manner, he grabbed Muryin by the arm. "Let's go."

"I am not going anywhere, sergeant. I have a duty to preform." Muryin attempted to free herself from his strong grip but to no avail. "I will not leave these people behind!"

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?! Because it would not be right!"

"My job is to get ya off the rock and debriefed about what happened to the convoy."

"Not without them!!" Muryin tried to look tough in the Lord Sergeant's presence but ultimately came off as cute. "Now let go of me!" Muryin wasn't one for excessive force or force o any kind when it came to a comrade. Her fist may as well have been a squeaky toy as she attempted to beat him away from her. He however just stood there watching as her tiny fist repeatedly made contact with his toned muscular chest, undaunted and unopposed like a bb gun against a freight train.

"Will you stop being pathetic," he said annoyed as he let her go. "Do what you must, but in the end you're coming with me. Is that clear?"

"Transparently, Lord Sergeant."

Loran was unsure of what to do at the moment, her eyes looking at the two newcomers blankly, before repeating the title, 'Lord Sergeant' in her head.

"That's kind of a neat title, at least-"

Her eyes remained blank as she spoke that phrase, curious about the newcomers.

--

The pilot followed the sound as best as he could, and as he neared what he thought was the source, he heard more voices, especially his target. As he approached, he left his shotgun to his side and stayed along the treeline, waiting...

Feeling sort of guilty for leaving the others behind, especially Macrine since she absolutely wanted to accompany him, but for their sake it was the best decision to travel alone. With his firepower given to them, he was confident that they should possess enough strength to fend of smaller groups of bandits now. It still won't do any good against tank-busting monstrosities, so he hoped for their safety.

You imbecile!” Andrej groaned as his officer turned up in his memories again. “Do you understand what you have done?! With giving them your weapons?! You will likely never get them back and if so, then better pray to your god that the kapitan won't just punish you with cleaning the tank armies...”
Not if I manage to get to the lorry first, then I could supply them with more guns, food and a dry shelter, and the AI will make sure that nobody tries something funny.” The officer laughed.

You know the konkistador's programming, right? Have fun finding it in the middle of the swamps, before one of those abominations catches you. At least you could say that being watched would actually be a good thing this time in finding it.”
Yeah yeah”, the soldier replied annoyed. “If you have nothing useful to say, then please leave me alone, thanks.” But his officer only laughed more, before finally vanishing and made room for important and actually helpful thoughts.

Andrej then pulled out his Makarow, checked if it was loaded and put it into his right coat pocket. Unfortunately, he still had no idea how to get to the swamps, but he somehow had to give the other survivors hope and a chance of survival.

Lord, please, guide me”, he prayed, while walking through the forest, hoping that his memories would return in the right moment.

"Friends, friends, let's be reasonable!" cried Pawel in Zaporozhian to his captors. He was bound by the hands and blindfolded, and was sat down on one of the seats of a gunship owned by Zaporozhians pirates he dared to infiltrate and steal 150 million thaler in gold bullion. The pirate captain, a Yuri Bogdanovich, was most displeased with Pawel's treachery.

"Reasonable?!" yelled Bogdanovich in Zaporozhian. "You stole my money and killed my men!"

"You're a pirate!" replied Pawel.

"I prefer to call myself a businessman," said Bogdanovich. "A very aggressive businessman. And now, you see what happens to my employees when they... embezzle from me. Bogdanovich tore off Pawel's blindfold. Here, Pawel saw several rough-looking Zaporozhian cutthroats, wearing purple, brown, and red zupans. Most, including Bogdanovich, wore short fur caps. However, Bogdanovich instead wore a chain mail shirt. The irate pirate captain motioned to his lackeys to throw Pawel out of the gunship's open doors. They did so, and the Sclavic dragon fell 5 meters to the sandy ground. He looked up to see the pirates mocking him as the gunship departed.

"Proshchal'nny!" said Bogdanovich, raising his hat to Pawel. The pirates laughed. Pawel, however, noticed that a small satchel fell from the other side of the gunship and into the water, along with a double-barreled shotgun and a saber and scabbard wrapped in plastic. The gunship departed, its passengers unaware of the gift given to Pawel.

"Good-bye, Yuri," said Pawel. "And thanks, Ivan." Now, Ivan Doroshenko was an informant for Pawel during his time in the pirate gang, and the gift was his doing. When the gunship zoomed back into the stratosphere, Pawel tore off the binding with his mouth, and then went out into the water, and received the satchel, saber, and gun. He waded back to shore, his leather white and red leather jacket, black tactical skin-tight t-shirt, jeans, and boots being soaked with seawater. Pawel took off his jacket and boots, and took stock of his belongings.

Inside the satchel was: four small boxes of shotgun shells, with 16 shells per box, one metal canteen, six protein bars, one R-Bar (a type of candy bar), a flare gun with six additional flare shots, one bottle of premium vodka, and one book: The Complete Collection of the Sacred Texts of the Ogniemite Faith, Czar Nikita X edition. Pawel smiled at the generosity of Ivan. He then looked around, examining his seemingly idyllic setting. A tiny island in the temperate zone of the planet. Small deciduous trees formed moderate groves across the several-kilometer large island. In the distance, Pawel sighed a large landmass, possibly the mainland, in front of him. It seemed to be at least 10 kilometers away. He sighed.

"How do I get over there...?" Pawel pondered. "I don't want to swim; there could be nasty things in this water. I also don't want to fly ; I'll definitely get too tired before reaching there." He then put on his jacket and boots and elected to head to the interior of the island in an effort to explore his immediate area.

• Like 1

"Come on out...?" Shepherd echoed questioningly under her breath, before standing up and closing in, her blaster still in hand though only for preparedness sake. Since she hadn't heard any sounds that would have indicated, she had to assume they were friendlies or at least haven't started shooting yet. None the less, Shepherd walked out of the forest and into view with her weapon raised but not aimed.

After some quick observation of the three who were there, noting a white bear (polar, she supposed), a snow leopard and an... elf, or something that resembled an elf, at least. Since none of the three were dead, and there wasn't a fourth to be seen in the state of dead, dying or otherwise, Shepherd lowered her blaster. Taking a moment to size up the humanoid that most resembled Kaan (A rather liberal interpretation of resemblance, really) and made an educated guess, "Zacca, I presume?"

”Yes, Corporal Zacca of the UCA medical corps. Do you need medical attention?"

As Muryin and Shepherd conversed, Kaan scoped out what remained of the shuttle. He touched the carbon scorings on the hull. Was this the work of the same pirates he was chasing? It seemed reasonable to suggest but he needed to be sure that they wouldn't be ambushed by them at a later date. He sniffed the air, that there was a human whose scent lingered.

"Corporal, where is the human?" He barked

"I'm fine, all I've got is tired legs, singed fur and a few bumps and bruises." Shepherd informed with a shake of her head, before relaxing and holstering her blaster. What she wouldn't do for a rest right now... but she still had a problem with a over animated hunk of metal to deal with. That in mind, the cerinian began an explanation:

"Look before anything els-..." Was all the fox could get out before Kaan voice cut the conversation short.

"Is it too much to hope he's mistaken?" Almost immediately, Shepherd could tell this was about to go nowhere good. All she could do was hope the man was suffering from a sudden a pollen allergy.

"He left not too long ago, he was looking for things to help us. Mr Andrej is-."

"You picked up a stray human and we're them naming now?"

Muryin's brow slightly wrinkled, "that is HIS name and Mr. Andrej has been nothing but helpful. So what if he is human, you can blame all of them for what they did. I never heard you say the same thing about Hector."

"Hector is different...he's the rare occurrence of an unselfish warrior."

"So would it not stand to reason that there would be other good humans out there?"

Kaan was silent with his arms crossed looking away. It wasn't the first time Muryin had won an argument.