Tiger Carson

Hear me out on this.  There is a ton of possibility that we may get a Star Fox game on the Nintendo Switch.  I know after the performance of Star Fox Zero it seems like we may not get a new game, but there is good reason to believe a new Star Fox may yet come to the Switch.  Here's why:

1. The Switch patents show the console is capable of the VR trick that mobile phones can pull off.  All that is needed is for Nintendo to make a headset that the Switch can slot into, and boom.  You have a ready made VR unit.  And the Joycons have the most advanced force feed back tech there is.  And with the gyroscope motion controls, they could work extremely well for VR.  As a matter of fact, VR is a big thing these days in gaming.  Nintendo would be absolute fools not to get into this in their own way.  We know that for as long as the 3DS has been around, Nintendo has been extremely interested in Augmented Reality.  The AR cards are proof enough of the concept.  And then you have Poke'mon GO!  Need I say more?  Sure, the Virtual Boy was a major flop, but it was also kind of ahead of it's time.  Had it been done the way the inventor had wanted it, it might have been much better than it was.  Oh well, at least the technology is much better now.

2. Nintendo has shown they love to use Star Fox as a guinea pig for game play and game technology.  The first game was a 3D game with solid polygons as well as polygons with "textures" on them.  The first true 3D game to do this. (There had been 3D games before it, but they were wire frame.) 64 gave us the now industry standard force feed back with the Rumble Pack.  I forgot what contributions to gaming Adventures and Assault gave us, if any.  Command had an interesting application of the Touch Screen.  Flawed, but interesting.  64 3D gave us a show of what glassessless 3D and the Gyro Controls could do.  And then there was Zero.  We're all familiar with how that turned out now.  It's not always a home run, though I know people will disagree with me on Zero.  But the fact is, Nintendo loves to experiment with Star Fox.  What better game to show the Switch's VR capabilities?

3. It just makes sense.  Seriously, short of building an actual Arwing, Star Fox VR will be the closest thing you can get.  The possibilities it has for interesting game mechanics...  We could get the opportunity to play as not just Fox, but the whole team, and be able to switch on the fly.  See what I did there unintentionally? ;)  Better yet, we could get an actual four player co-op experience, with you and three buddies taking on the roles of each pilot.  Slippy fans can finally show the Frog is better than popular thought, pilots using Peppy can show what the old rabbit can do, and people could play as Falco and show how much of an ace pilot they really are.  If Nintendo could make a fully open world 3D Zelda title, I'm confident they could figure out how to do a four player co-op Virtual Reality Star Fox game.

Will we get this?  I sure hope so.  IT'd be nice if it had a solid story too, but right now, I just hope we get a fun game that is solid enough without too much of a steep learning curve.  I would also prefer a traditional Star Fox, which I think needs to happen as well.  But a VR Star Fox?  It makes sense to me, and seems like the most plausible route Nintendo could go with the series.  And since there are so many Switches in peoples hands, there's a good chance that the game will sell well this time.  Here's hoping.

But what do you guys think?  Would you want a Star Fox VR game?  What kind of possibilities do you see for one?  Am I just outright cooky for even thinking this up?  Let's discuss this people!

I agree to the above, though to be honest, it would actually be nice if some characters got reintroduced in the possible sequel. I'm okay with Krystal but I think we need to consider about the other characters, like Dash Bowman along with some others, for example. I know that Command was a super confusing and well, attempts to be 'dramatic' with the love plot between two characters with it's plot (UGH.), and I believe that it's unfair that those characters involved got to be overlooked/forgotten/whatever because of it. 

Truth is that I know Zero was supposed to be a 'reboot' (what, this is the THIRD time the series rebooted?) but still consider it. Many people might disagree with me on this but I'm just throwing in my two cents about it. However, gameplay is always above story no matter how it is in general, though, with the examples of Zelda: BoTW being the case, I think open world exploration would be interesting along with the choice to pick sides and whatnot.

Hey, it's how I am, but games that allow you to do stuff like that gets me giddy in general.

• Like 2

Very good points, if Nintendo can actually make good use of the characters they reintroduce, then we'll potentially have something special on our hands.  Though, more likely, it's going to be Miyu and Fay who get reintroduced first now that SF2 has finally been given an official release.  But, it would be nice to have others with potential get reintroduced for sure.

Dash has potential, and it'd actually be interesting to see what goes on in his mind.  How he actually feels about Fox, his grandfather Andross, and things about the Lylat in general.  It's not everyday you find a character in his unique position.  Sure, we can get interesting perspectives from Star Wolf, Pigma, and Andrew, but their lean is ambiguous.  Dash on the other hand, he struck me as wanting to be a hero, and seemed to have some hero worship of Fox.

As for other characters, I kind of want to see Amanda get reintroduced.  For one, it'd help with those whose characters are non-mammals with certain, *ahem* features.  Totally not referencing his Star Fox FC Jeena here.  But more importantly, it'd show that Slippy can actually get a mate.  Though, as I know Rob would say, it's been a thing for a long time that Slippy has had a girlfriend.

Yeah, more than likely the SF2 characters would get a chance at the spotlight give or take, just as long as some characters from Command gets some recognition in the reintroduction;  after all, Nintendo has all these characters and it'd be a waste to not use them to their full potential. Another thing, counting next year being the 25th anniversary of the series, I'm hoping for an announcement on some format or another involving a new entry in the works somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I have two ideas of the possible games that come as new chapters of Starfox on Switch:

1) Star Fox: The Untold Stories (Action\Shoot 'em up\Role Play): Many of us already know of the Lylat Wars, the main conflict that was narrated on most of the game series (Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Star Fox 64 3DS, Star Fox Zero) but we barely saw all the ferocity of the conflict, so what happened before the start and during the Lylat Wars? This game idea would tell the story of the Lylat Wars with different points of view: one will be as a young cadet of the Cornerian Army just out from training fighting the most big battles of the Lylat Wars like the Defense of Corneria, the battle of Area 3, the Battle of Sector Y, the Defense of Katina, the Siege of Fichina, the Infiltration on Zoness and the Battle of Macbeth.

The other campaign is more focused on Andross's Army point of view, or to be more precise, to his rise to power; I'm pretty sure that not all the population of Venom agreed to the plans of the scientist, so the newborn army, including a new grunt of Andross's loyalists, will have to deal first with those separatist and then prepare for war against the Cornerian scum with shadow operations (on the first Star Fox game, Andross launched a full-on assault on the Lylat system, unlike Zero, so it would be interesting what the Venomian Army had encountered during the first part of the conflict).

Which side will you choose? That is up to you on this game idea

2) Star Fox: Resistance (Action\Shoot 'em up\Strategy): Corneria and Star Fox have always been a symbol of hope inside the series lore so what will happen if they are both crushed? As a direct sequel of the series (I hope it will finally come!) this game idea will tell us that the unthinkable happened: Corneria and the rest of the Lylat system has been conquered by a new enemy coming from another solar system (to add a reason to really hate this new enemy is the cause of the destruction of Cerinia, Krystal's homeworld) and Star Fox has been defeated by them. With his team shattered and without a home were to return to, Fox must locate his lost teammates, contact old face, forge new alliances and fight to retake back the Lylat system.

On 10/10/2017 at 3:14 AM, Tiger Carson said:

Dash has potential, and it'd actually be interesting to see what goes on in his mind.  How he actually feels about Fox, his grandfather Andross, and things about the Lylat in general.  It's not everyday you find a character in his unique position.  Sure, we can get interesting perspectives from Star Wolf, Pigma, and Andrew, but their lean is ambiguous.  Dash on the other hand, he struck me as wanting to be a hero, and seemed to have some hero worship of Fox.

This game idea takes some elements of Adventures and Assault but also a dark atmosphere like the one of XCOM 2 and Sonic Forces: like on Adventures I want to see more explorable planets or locations on foot (and where our forces shall strike first, so we can forge our own strategy) and like on Assault with a wide choice of armaments and perhaps even new vehicles; this game will also have a place for characters who never had a place on the game like Miyu, Fay and Fara, and for characters who deserve a better role like Amanda and Dash Bowman (he will surely be our contact to form an alliance with the Venom Remnants after helping them to drive out the Anglars and their new allies from Venom).

On 10/10/2017 at 7:20 AM, Arkenova said:

Yeah, more than likely the SF2 characters would get a chance at the spotlight give or take, just as long as some characters from Command gets some recognition in the reintroduction;  after all, Nintendo has all these characters and it'd be a waste to not use them to their full potential. Another thing, counting next year being the 25th anniversary of the series, I'm hoping for an announcement on some format or another involving a new entry in the works somewhere.

I surely hope so; I would love to see Miyu and Fay to finally have their places on the Star Fox team, as well Fara.

Feel free to leave comment! :)

• Like 1