Shadows of Lylat

DZComposer

I figure I'll create stickies for the three main fangame mods under development right now.

This will be the thread of updates and discussion for Shadows of Lylat.

Shadows of Lylat is a total conversion of Freespace2 based on the Freespace2 Open engine.

Note that I am not in charge of this project. DaBrain is the project leader. My involvement is voice acting and music composition (I'm one of two-to-three composers). I am merely acting as a liaison to SFO as there is currently not someone to do this on an active basis.

Forums: http://www.game-warden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Site (not up yet): http://shadowsoflylat.net/

Screen Shots are here: http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7081

Long Trailer

zXLPp_H3hIw

(Only the little bit of the music at the end is my work)

The debut of a piece called Kxo Jxuten Semoj, based off of a piece from SFAd, may come in the next trailer (don't know for sure). Most choral parts in my part of the score will be sung in Dino/Saurian.

Attack Carrier model display (no sound)

LJviy740vd8

Gameplay video (no sound)

5pGoioPDIKM

On-Rails (no sound)

arKxbX7Jzzk

A testament to why SoL is using FS2 Open, not retail FS2. This is not possible in the retail game.

Police Hovercar model display (no sound)

9AaHokqH3us

All there is to it right now are test missions. The focus is still on content creation.

The game will be released in two installments. A prologue, followed by a full campaign.

Content will be available to FREDers to create additional missions.

FAQ questions taken from SoL forums.

What is this?

This project is a fan made game that runs on the FreeSpace_Open engine. It is not for any console system, and we are not affiliated by Nintendo, Argonaut Software, Namco, Q-Games, or anyone else terribly important.

Do go on...

To play it, all you will need is a fairly recent computer system. Exact system requirements aren't set yet, but they shouldn't be that bad. It is our hope that you will not need FreeSpace 2 installed to play, the final outcome should be a stand alone game.

So what's going to be in it?

A great many things...

* Lots of playable craft, including 3 different Arwings

* Weapons galore

* Enemies, both new and old

* Space and ground based missions

* A deep storyline

* Multiplayer

* And probably more!

When does the story take place?

The story takes place between Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures. Yes, there is content from Assault, but there are good reasons for that.

Will we see Andross?

No. Next question.

Is it going to be just like Star Fox?

No. Star Fox is more of an arcade shooter, while Freespace is a simulation shooter. While the SCP allows us to do many awesome things, we won't be able to get it just like the original games.

Can I help?

Yes! Even if its one thing, it does help us out a lot. We are really looking for texture, effect, and concept artists, but we are always looking for other positions as well. PM DaBrain or Axem on the SoL forums if you have any skills that you want to lend to this project.

Voice actors are welcome too, but if you want to apply for being one, check out the Voice Acting Casting Call thread.

Why is SoL a special game among the FS2_open games?

SoL is ment to push the engine to it's limits, using the most recent features the engine has and will get.

We're using everything we can to make sure SoL is always one of the most advanced games based on Freespace 2.

When is it coming out?

It will be done when it is done. We're doing this in our own and for zero money, so that's the best we can give you.

That being said, we're trying our best to get a demo done for people to try. When that comes out is another bunch of wonderful question dodging. (We're working on it.)

Will this run on a Mac or on Linux?

The engine is cross platform, so should run on any major platform.

What is the high-end package?

The high-end pack is ment for users with real high-end machines only. It features extremely high-res textures for some models and might feature some more complex models.

It's gernerally stuff, we decided to remove from the main game, as the visual improvements do not justify the performance loss on most PCs.

You need a 512 MB gfx card to use this pack.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kursed

• DZComposer

• Falcory

• Thu'um

Will krystal be in this? if so will she be a playable character? (I noticed you metioned that theier will be some assult stuff)

WIll KAtt be in this and/or playable?

Can you actully choose a character or will this be like Freespace 2 where you  are a Anonymous person (Alpha1?)

Will you be able to completly customize your loadout on certain missions like (Ship,weapons and so on)

I know I asked this before but Will there be Sheilds?

Will our armor be similair to Terran,Vasudan or ShivanS?

I don't need to see the videos to see how Awsome this will be  (

Back to the great war I go i think... (you start Freespace 1 with no sheilds if you haven't played it.)

Will krystal be in this? if so will she be a playable character? (I noticed you metioned that theier will be some assult stuff)

WIll KAtt be in this and/or playable?

Can you actully choose a character or will this be like Freespace 2 where you  are a Anonymous person (Alpha1?)

Will you be able to completly customize your loadout on certain missions like (Ship,weapons and so on)

I know I asked this before but Will there be Sheilds?

Will our armor be similair to Terran,Vasudan or ShivanS?

I don't need to see the videos to see how Awsome this will be  (

Back to the great war I go i think... (you start Freespace 1 with no sheilds if you haven't played it.)

Krystal will obviously not be in this. Katt maybe...

Let me know if you guys need a voice actor DZ. I might audtion if I sound like a character in the mod...

1. No on both counts. This takes place before SFAd, IE before Fox and Krystal meet. Assault stuff, at this point, is just tech.

2. Do not know yet.

3. As of now, you're Fox. Don't know about later, though.

4. Probably, but I am not sure. That stuff can be mission-specific as well.

5. As of now, no. Don't know about future plans. "Hull Damage" functions as the "shield" of SF64.

6. I do not understand this question (been ages since I played the main story)

Falcory: E-mail/PM DaBrain about that. I do not know if they need anyone at this time.

(dang)

6. Will our armor be strong(terran)medium(Vasuden) or Weak(Shivans because they rely more on sheilds)

Falcory: E-mail/PM DaBrain about that. I do not know if they need anyone at this time.

I was just wondering if you guys desperately need any voice-actors, but since you say you don't even know, they probably don't. I'm already doing acting for Paths of Fate so I don't want to unnecessarily take on two projects.

I imagine strength will vary from ship-to-ship. Keep in mind, this will be as much like Star Fox as we can make it.

seems like a very cool mod, how is development

nowhere close

not even

sorta

half-way done

any of those?

yeah I doubt it goes any further  :oops:

seems like a very cool mod, how is development

nowhere close

not even

sorta

half-way done

any of those?

yeah I doubt it goes any further :oops:

It's been in development for quite a while so it's probably about halfway done at least.

You say it is going to have a deep story, is it going to be told using cutscenes that take place out of the ships, or is it going to be told in radio transmissions during gameplay?

You say it is going to have a deep story, is it going to be told using cutscenes that take place out of the ships, or is it going to be told in radio transmissions during gameplay?

Most likely during the de-briefing before the next mission.

like Freespace usally does it comes with a readout section and a small video you whacth that plays over and Over as long as you stay on that page of the readout. and then as you enter the next mission you might hear other pilots talk out it.

Most likely during the de-briefing before the next mission.

That's the briefing. Debriefing is for when you come back from a mission.

That's the briefing. Debriefing is for when you come back from a mission.

no it's not breifing it's after the Debreifing from a mission... The Briefing is a very complex walk through of your actions on a two dimsional Plane... then you get the Debrifing and a intermission were it explains something that  went on someplace you wern't in.. like  some major event...

my brain hurts >.< Just kidding JK JK

But anyhow it will probably do stuff like that or have pilots talk to you about it I mean starfox 64 pretty much had an intro and the story told from everyone else

my brain hurts >.< Just kidding JK JK

But anyhow it will probably do stuff like that or have pilots talk to you about it I mean starfox 64 pretty much had an intro and the story told from everyone else

well heres how freespace went about it

Briefing, Debreifing intermission news Breifing, Pilots talkign about the intermission message during mission.

no it's not breifing it's after the Debreifing from a mission... The Briefing is a very complex walk through of your actions on a two dimsional Plane... then you get the Debrifing and a intermission were it explains something that  went on someplace you wern't in.. like  some major event...

Do research before you say stuff like that Kursed. That is totally wrong. Briefing is your instructions on what to do and what to look out for when you are in a field mission. Debriefing is when you come back from the mission, to report on what happened.

Do research before you say stuff like that Kursed. That is totally wrong. Briefing is your instructions on what to do and what to look out for when you are in a field mission. Debriefing is when you come back from the mission, to report on what happened.

WEll Technicly Falco You don't report anything in you just go back home...

WEll Technicly Falco You don't report anything in you just go back home...

That doesn't even make any sense Kursed...

Anyway back on topic.

That doesn't even make any sense Kursed...

Anyway back on topic.

I am on topic(This is about a freespace mod so talking about freespace is on topic) once you complete a mission you simply activate your sub-space drives and head home... but that brings up a good question

Will you be able to just quit (enter subspace) whenever you feel like it during the missions?

Please don't ask any story questions right now. I am not able to answer them.

As far as the ability to "jump out," that will be a decision on mission design. The current focus is content (ships, planets, etc.) creation. Most of the early models are being replaced with newer, better ones.

The Blue Change is coming soon. Watch the SoL forums for updates.

The Blue Change is coming soon. Watch the SoL forums for updates.

Oh god... I hate not knowing things. Oh well, have to wait until tomorrow I guess.

*edit* Hey DZ, what was the Blue change if it happened? Was it that Battle Star Galactica thingie?

• 4 weeks later...