Replace Fox with Krystal in Star Fox Adventures Hack

GammaRay256

Recently, jrose0555 posted a video on YouTube demonstrating an Action Replay code that could be used to change Fox's model to Krystal's model in Star Fox Adventures.  There is an old thread here about this topic: http://forums.starfox-online.net/index.php?topic=2389.0.  His video was featured on the Krystal Archive.  I haven't seen much discussion about it, which is why I am starting this thread.

I can confirm that the code posted on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuIZFnlsoaY works with Star Fox Adventures v1.1.  I posted two videos using the code here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9sAziw6Yxc, and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wmlv8kinDU.

Unfortunately, with the current code, I don't believe it will ever be possible to play as Krystal anywhere but Krazoa Palace.  The game tends to give the 'black-screen-of-death' if you try to go anywhere else. 

Plus, I noticed it's probably not possible to get the cut scene shown after defeating General Scales because Krystal cannot draw the staff to end the battle.

Has anyone else had any success with jrose0555's codes?

I'd be willing to test something if anyone has an idea.  I might also be able to help if there are any questions.

By the way, there was one cool image that I captured in one of the hacked cut scenes.  It features Krystal in a Star Fox Adventures Arwing!  I'm using it as my avatar, the full resolution version is attached.  O_o

[Pruned to save disk space]

xD That was awesome!

Has anyone else had any success with jrose0555's codes?

I've never tried any action replay codes, so no. But noice work!

One question about the Krystal arwing pic: Was that from a deleted Adventures scene, or is that just the hack?

One question about the Krystal arwing pic: Was that from a deleted Adventures scene, or is that just the hack?

It comes from the cut scene that is shown after defeating Andross.  Normally it is Fox flying an Arwing over Krazoa Palace (where all the SharpClaw are cheering), but with the hack, it is Krystal flying the Arwing instead of Fox.

It comes from 0:19 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wmlv8kinDU

Guest Julius Quasar

I couldn't see any of those!   Goddamit I hate my piece of s*** computer! *kicks CPU tower*  :lolhyst:

*EDIT*

I kinda caught the last one, very funny!  :lol:

It comes from the cut scene that is shown after defeating Andross.  Normally it is Fox flying an Arwing over Krazoa Palace (where all the SharpClaw are cheering), but with the hack, it is Krystal flying the Arwing instead of Fox.

It comes from 0:19 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wmlv8kinDU

That's what I thought. Looks cool dude!

i've try that code,but with my version of the game,nothing works,i can't even try codes,its impossible!

I think Mister K's been trying to figure out how to use that code too...

Guest krystal08

well the last time i was talking about that with him,he had not much of a clue on it....if i remember right,and its thanks to him that i don't waste all my time with that code,because of my %?$ version of the game(that i didn't know it was like that... )

Is Star Fox Adventures v1.1 pretty rare?  Are *all* v1.1 games "Player's Choice" editions? (I'm assuming they are).

I noticed from a quick eBay search that most of the SF Adventures cases on sale do not have the yellow "Player's Choice" label on top.  So I'm assuming there were not that many v1.1 copies.

I attached a picture of my case.  Does anybody else have the same case and cannot get the hack to work?  Or does everyone else have v1.0?

[Pruned to save disk space]

i have player's choice,can't get( and find ) how to use it...don't even know where to put it...

Does the Action Replay accept the code and successfully boot the game?  I remember my Action Replay rejected the first codes from that old tread, but it accepted the new ones just fine...

Awesome sauce! Looks like I'm going to have to get the Player's Choice version after all. The reason they are so rare is because I believe that once a game becomes a million seller, they make it a "Player's Choice". The problem is that they only sold like 1.1 Million copies of Adventures total, meaning that there are about 10 times more of the original than the 1.1 version.

Is there a difference between a players choice version and an original version other than the case? What exactly is the difference between the two that makes the code work in one and not the other?

Is there a difference between a players choice version and an original version other than the case? What exactly is the difference between the two that makes the code work in one and not the other?

The GameCube Action Replay has a different master code for SF Adventures v1.0 and v1.1, therefore, they are treated by the AR as two different games.  So there is a different set of cheat codes for each game (the cheats themselves are identical, but the numbers behind them are not).

From a player's perspective there should be no difference between the two versions...

Just a guess, but the only difference between the two versions could be the date they were compiled/assembled.  Yet, the two versions require a completely different set of AR codes...

The other possibility is that they made minor bug fixes, but that's unlikely.

jrose0555 posted the codes for both versions, but I don't think the v1.0 codes work at all.  I don't know anything about how AR codes are made other than that they probably require major hex editing skills, so I'm unsure if it will ever be possible to create a working 1.0 version of the code.

I wish they would publish the version numbers on the discs themselves or in the game credits.  The only hints we have to version differences are the "Player's Choice" labels. 

There were two versions of Star Fox 64 as well, one of them (the rarer one, I'm not sure if it was 1.0 or 1.1) allows you to get over 511 hits.  The only way to tell the difference (other than testing the 511 limit) is to find out if it's a "Player's Choice" edition or not.

If it only works in Krazoa Palace, it would make sense to me if the code copies the Krystal model data from one part of the loaded memory to another; it takes the model of the real krystal and copies it onto the player model. If so, the code wouldn't work anywhere that the krystal model isn't already loaded into memory by the game.

Would any real programmers concur?

Guest krystal08

Does the Action Replay accept the code and successfully boot the game?  I remember my Action Replay rejected the first codes from that old tread, but it accepted the new ones just fine...

how the heck i do that?i don't even know where to put that or anything....

Awesome sauce! Looks like I'm going to have to get the Player's Choice version after all. The reason they are so rare is because I believe that once a game becomes a million seller, they make it a "Player's Choice". The problem is that they only sold like 1.1 Million copies of Adventures total, meaning that there are about 10 times more of the original than the 1.1 version.

good luck with finding one Mr.K

you should see the ending scene where Fox is Krystal you have two Krystal's on the Great Fox

Guest krystal08

good luck with finding one Mr.K

you should see the ending scene where Fox is Krystal you have two Krystal's on the Great Fox

i saw that one,it was funny!

i saw that one,it was funny!

yeah I know

Krystal:Thank you for saving me

Rob:sencing heat buildup on fox

Krystal:I'm alright rob.

how the heck i do that?i don't even know where to put that or anything....

I'm don't exactly understand what problem you're having... :krystal:

Have you ever successfully used an Action Replay on the game at all?

If you have, then you simply open the game's listing on the AR and use the "-- ADD NEW CODE --" option at the top of the list.

I just realised, I think I named the thread wrong! 

It should be "Replace Fox with Krystal" instead of "Replace Krystal with Fox".  Is it possible to change that?

Done.

Umm done what dude? A little more clarification?