Starfox: Rise from the Ashes

Cavemonkynick

Well i love feedback so watcha think on a scale to 1-5.  

10 members have voted

1. 1. *READ FIRST* When the forum last updated, all the quotation marks turned to squares. This makes the story really hard to read so i reposted it square free on page three.Well i love feedback so watcha think on a scale to 1-5.

• 1 Best
    • 5 Worst

Heres the first bit of chapter 10

Chapter 10: Star Fox Reborn

Krystal blinked as the room slowly came into focus. Where was she? She glanced around without moving her head. She was lying in a bed in the med bay of the Great Fox. Fox was sitting next to her facing towards the foot of the bed. He was asleep, his head lolled off to one side and his arm resting on the bed. Krystal pulled her arm out from under the sheets and slid her hand in his. Fox didn’t stir. Krystal smiled to herself and drifted off to sleep.

Fox woke in a daze. His neck was killing him and for some reason he couldn’t move his left arm. He glanced at it and was surprised to see his arm under Krystal’s. He looked over at her. She was sound asleep, her chest slowly, rhythmically rising and falling. He carefully retrieved his arm from hers, so as not to wake her, then stood and stretched. He made his way to the mess hall and found it deserted. There was half a pot of coffee left in the pot. Fox touched it with the back of his hand… cold. He sighed but poured a cup anyways and set it in the microwave. He was trying to remember if the pot could be from yesterday morning or last night when the timer went off and he stopped caring. He pulled it out and took a sip. “Perfect” he sighed as he pulled out a chair and sat down. He sipped his coffee and tried to work out the kink in his neck as he reflected on the past day’s events.

Wolf had managed to take out the comm. relay on the mother ship rather quickly and one it was gone all the drones ceased functioning, their momentum carrying them into debris, each other, into the mother ship, and a few into the hull of the Station. James has done his job perfectly, destroying ant fighter that even looked at the Sky-Claw. After the battle, Rob had brought the Great Fox in range and Falco had used the remote auto-pilot to bring the Sky-Claw back in. Once on board, Tomas had carried Krystal to the med bay where she was now.

Falco stepped into the mess hall pulling Fox back to the present.

“Mornin” Fox said.

“Mornin,” Falco yawned. “You sleep in the med bay last night?”

“Yea, my neck is killing me.”

“You could have at least got in the other bed ya know.”

“I intended to.”

“How is she?”

“I think she’s fine. When I woke up she was holding my hand so I thing she came to sometime last night and went back to sleep.”

“That’s good.” Falco had fixed his own coffee and was now sitting across from Fox.

“So did you and Katt talk last night?” Fox asked. Falco took a sip of his coffee. They had talked, in the hanger late last night. Katt had been cleaning her pistol, even though she hadn’t fired a shot that day, and Falco had gone down to clean his own. When he walked in Katt looked up at him and, to his amazement, smiled. Falco moved to the workbench next to her and started stripping his pistol. After a small silence Falco broke the ice.

“Hey, Katt,” he said.

“Mmm,” she responded, a little absent-mindedly.

“I think we should… uh… you know, talk” He managed. Katt put her pistol down, turned to him, and leaned on the workbench.

“So, talk,” she said. Falco took a deep breath and set his pistol down.

“Well… uh… wow I suck at this.” Katt laughed him off.

“You don’t have to say anything Falco.” She told him.

“Yeah I do.” He started pacing but quickly stopped. It might have worked for Fox but it didn’t help him at all. “Look,” he finally said. “You are the best thing that’s ever happened to me and,” he broke off. Katt walked over to Him.

“Just stop,” she said with a smile, “you’re gonna hurt yourself.” And the next thing Falco knew they were kissing. The entire world fell away around him as he held her in his arms. When they broke apart a good while later Katt said, “We haven’t done that in a very long time.” Falco laughed. They went back to cleaning their pistols and spent the next few hours catching up.

“You still there Falco,” Fox called, pulling Falco out of his memories.

“What? Oh, yeah… Yeah, we talked.” Fox grinned and started to say something but Falco cut him off, “Don’t, ok? Just don’t.” Then they both laughed.

Also for those of you that don't know, im putting together a radio play based on this story the link to the thread is below.

http://starfox-online.net/topic/9340-voice-actors-wanted/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cavemonkynick

• sjrathbun812

• Fluxy

• Kursed

Hears a little but more of chapter 10

“What? Oh, yeah… Yeah, we talked.” Fox grinned and started to say something but Falco cut him off, “Don’t, ok? Just don’t.” Then they both laughed. Fox stood, draining the last of his coffee, and walked over to the sink. “Are you about to head over and check on Krystal?” Falco asked.

“I was thinking about starting breakfast.” Fox replied.

“I’ll do it.”

“I must say, I have missed your cooking.”

“I ain’t a five star chef or nothing like that.”

“Humility, that’s new. Who are you, and what have you done with Falco?”

“Can it, Foxy.” Fox laughed.

“That’s more like it.” Fox left the mess hall and made his way to the med bay. He took the lift to the level below. When the doors slid open, Krystal was standing there. He stepped out of the lift and pulled her into his arms. She returned his embrace.

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

“Great, you won’t believe what I found out.” She replied, shifting back so she could look at him.

“What do you mean?”

“Something yesterday unlocked my past. I remember everything now.”

“Are you serious?”

“Completely,” She was beaming.

“Well, tell me everything!”

“Not yet, I wanna wait for mom and dad. Plus I'm starving.” Fox laughed.

“Fair enough, Falco just started breakfast.”

“It’s been a long time since I’ve eaten Falco’s cooking” They heard a door slide open behind them and Katt walked out rubbing her eyes.

“Katt,” Krystal shouted, Katt jumped but recovered quickly.

“Krystal, you’re awake!” They hugged, and as they separated, Katt pushed Krystal playfully saying “Don’t scare me like that!” They both laughed.

“Sorry,” Krystal said.

“Mornin Fox,” Katt said finally noticing him.

“Mornin Katt,” Fox said pressing the lift call button to open the doors again, “Sleep good?”

“Yep,” She beamed. They all got on the lift and headed for the mess hall. When they arrived they found Falco hard at work on breakfast.

“Well,” he said over his shoulder as they walked in. “Look who’s up!” Krystal laughed.

“Wanna hand Falco?” Fox asked.

“Sure why not,” He responded. For the next thirty minutes Fox was in heaven. They spent the time trading old stories and playful insults while Fox and Falco cooked. After a while Slippy joined them followed shortly by James. They each greeted Krystal and James offered to help Fox.

“I dunno dad,” Fox said, “I think there was a good reason mom kept you out of the kitchen.”

“Yea,” Falco added, “Remember when you set that frying pan on fire?”

“He did what now?” Peppy said coming in on the end of the conversation.

“I didn’t know they came with those blasted films on them, so yes I managed to set a frying pan on fire. Sue me.” James said in a mock-frustrated tone.

just for the record: that frying pan story happened to me, honest to god.

Well it's not much but this is what i got done today.

“I didn’t know they came with those blasted films on them, so yes I managed to set a frying pan on fire. Sue me.” James said in a mock-frustrated tone. The room shared a laugh.

Before long, breakfast was done and Sarah, Tomas, Wolf, and Beltino had made their way to the mess hall. As they ate they talked and laughed.

“So Krystal,” Peppy said, “what do you think set off those headaches yesterday?”

“Mmm,” she swallowed. “Sorry about that. I’m really not sure, but whatever did it unlocked my past.”

“Really,” Katt said, “that’s great!”

“Yeah,”

“So you remember everything?” Tomas asked, staring at his plate.

“Dad, it’s ok. You and mom did what you had to.” Tomas looked up. Krystal smiled at him and he couldn’t help but smile back.

“Well come on, tell us!” Falco said.

“Alright, when I was eight years old, Andross burned my home, Cerinia, to the ground.” She started. She told them everything. How they sent her parents into hiding and left her behind so she could have a life. How she lived by herself for the next two years. How she was abducted from her own home in the middle of the night. How she woke up in the charred remains of a colony she didn’t know. How the local military found her and took care of her, and about Steven Porter. At this Peppy interrupted.

“Steven? I knew him. So you were the young girl he always talked about.”

“You knew him?” Krystal asked.

“Yep, Steven was a good man.”

“Was?”

“He died repelling Andross’ initial attack on Corneria.”

“I’d feared as much.”

“He died defending his home Krystal. No soldier can ask for more than that.” Krystal was silent for a moment.

“Do you know who took you?” Sarah asked.

“… Andross… It had to be. I was his backup plan… and I played the part perfectly. He needed me to not know so I would blindly chase any lead about my past.”

“He played us both,” Fox said, “Don’t be so hard on yourself.” Krystal smiled at him. There was a few seconds of silence that was finally broken but Rob over the intercom.

“General Peppy, you have an incoming transmission from fleet command.”

“I told him not to call me that.” Peppy mumbled. “I’ll be back in a minute.”

A few minutes later everyone was finishing up and Fox and Falco were arguing over who had to do the dishes when Peppy came back.

“Fox I need to talk with you on the bridge.” He said.

“Ha! Dishes are all yours Falco.” He laughed and Falco groaned. He followed Peppy out of the mess hall. “So, this is bad news isn’t it?”

“Well it’s not like last time I called you to the side, but it’s still bad, yes”

So break out your honest opinions, i can take em, i'm a big boy... in more ways than one.... that was a fat joke not a euphemism

And heres the last of chapter 10

“I’m not sure if that’s comforting or not.” They stepped onto the bridge and Peppy turned to face Fox.

“The Angler Empire has declared war on the Lylat system.” He said.

“Oh, well, that I think we can deal with.” Fox replied.

“I thought you’d say something like that.” Peppy turned to Rob. “Pull up the transmission that fleet command received.” Rob turned to his console and Emperor Angler appeared.

“Attention lesser life-forms,” He said. “We, the Angler Empire, have studied you for the past five years and have deemed you unworthy to inhabit the system that rightfully belongs to our master and creator. However, we believe that the genocide of your kind would only be a waste of time and potential resources, so we offer an ultimatum. Submit to the will of the Empire and be spared, resist and be destroyed. You have five days to comply before we begin our attack.” The transmission ended. Peppy turned back to Fox.

“I, of course, have no intention of sitting back and letting these abominations walk all over our people.” He said.

“I’ll be right back.” Fox said and marched out of the room. He made his way to the mess hall where almost everyone was sitting at the table talking. “Sit down Falco, the dishes can wait.”

“What’s going on Fox?” Slippy asked. Fox didn’t answer right away. Once Falco was back at the table, and he had everyone’s attention Fox spoke.

“We have a crisis on our hands.” Fox relayed the transmission from the Emperor.

“Master and creator,” Falco repeated slowly.

“You don’t think they meant Andross do you?” Slippy asked.

“Honestly, that not important right now. There’s something I need to know… I plan to meet this force head on, but I can’t do it alone.”

“So, team Star Fox rides again?” Falco said, smiling.

“If you all are willing, yes.”

“I’m in!” Slippy shouted quickly.

“Heck yes, let’s kick some Angler tail!” Falco said. “Katt, you in?”

“Of course, I never turn down a good fight,” She replied.

“Krystal,” Fox said. She smiled at him. That was answer enough, “Wolf, dad, what about you two?”

“I’d be honored to finally fly beside my son.” James said.

“If James is flying so am I.” Wolf said “I’ll see if I can’t pull some strings with some old friends too.”

“Panther and Leon?” Fox asked.

“Yea, don’t know exactly how they’ll react to all this though. They were just as in the dark as you were.”

“Sounds like we’ve got quite a force to work with,” Peppy said from the doorway. Fox turned to him.

“Looks that way, Peppy, the Great Fox is yours is you need it, and the team is at your disposal.”

“Good. I’ll set a course for Katina, gonna need Bill, then on to Corneria.” Peppy replied. Fox turned back to the others.

“Well guys, rest up for today. Tomorrow we need to make sure everything is ready to go, team, dismissed. Oh and finish the dishes will ya Falco?”

Coming soon, Chapter 11: Preparing for War

Ok, so in preperation for this radio play I've started looking back and smothing over some of the earlier scenes. so today i worked on the scene where Fox first calls Krystal in chapter 2 and when Fox eplaind his reasons for splitting the team in chaper 3

First the call scene

“We head back to the Great Fox and regroup. Rob track down Peppy… and Krystal.”

Back on the Great Fox, Fox and Wolf docked their fighters and, after a very awkward elevator ride, arrived on the bridge.

“Rob, status” Fox said and began pacing.

“I am still unable to establish communications with Peppy, but I have succeeded in contacting Krystal.” Rob reported. Fox stopped pacing. He took a deep breath and braced himself.

“Put her through.” He said. Krystal appeared on the main viewing screen. “Krystal.”

“Fox,” her voice was cold. Fox tried to speak but the words wouldn’t come. He turned to Falco and Wolf.

“Can you two give us a minute?” He asked.

“Why?” Krystal said, “I’m sure whatever you need to say can-”

“Krystal, please,” Fox cut her off.

“We’ll be outside” Falco said and he and Wolf the bridge.

“Where do you get off just calling me up out of the blue?” Krystal said the second the doors where closed.

“Krystal”

“No! You just throw me out of your life-”

“That’s not fair.”

“Who are you to decide?!”

“You think this was easy for me?!”

“You turned your back on me!”

“Only so you wouldn’t see me broken!” There was a silence

Outside, Falco and Wolf were listening at the door when Slippy walked up.

“What’s goin on?” He asked.

“Lover-boy in there is tryin to patch things up with Krystal.” Wolf said.

“Will you two be quiet?” Falco said, “I’m trying to hear!”

“Making you leave was the hardest decision I've ever made.” Fox said.

“Then why’d you do it?” Krystal asked.

“I thought I was protecting you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“It’s not important. Look Krystal… I really need your help here. If you’re not ready to forgive me, I understand, but frankly we’ve got bigger problems. Corneria is under attack and I need my team.”

“You don’t have a team anymore Fox, remember?” Fox hung his head, defeated. Suddenly the bridge door opened behind him.

“Slippy!” Falco yelled, “You leaned on the button!” Rob broke in before Fox could say anything.

“Fox, I have located Peppy but his situation is… unsettling.”

“What are you talking about?” Falco asked welcoming this interruption.

“Peppy has been trapped by a cave-in of the building he chose to take refuge in. He is physically unharmed but the building could collapse at any moment.”

“That’s not good.” Slippy said.

“How much time to we have Rob?” Fox asked.

“Approximately thirty to forty-five minutes.” Rob informed them.

“I’m going to have to go ground-side for this one.” Fox said pacing again. His mind had changed gears completely.

“You want a hand?” Wolf asked.

“No,” Fox replied. “I’m gonna need you and Falco in the air covering me”

“Fine with me, I prefer the air” Falco said.

“Slippy, you find a way to take these things out.”

“You bet Fox. It’ll feel good to be back in the lab again.”

“I’m coming to help.” Krystal said. This stopped Fox in his tracks. “I can’t sit and do nothing.”

“Thank you.” Fox took a breath and composed himself. “Alright, we don’t have much time so we need to move, now” he said. “Rob, is Falco’s ship fit to fly?”

“Affirmative, the hull damage has been repaired and the shields are at eighty percent.” Rob replied.

“You work fast.” Wolf commented.

“Prep all ships for launch. Hang in there Peppy, we’re coming.” Fox said. As he turned to leave Krystal stopped him.

“Fox,” He turned to her. “One more chance” and the screen went black.

Fox, Falco, and Wolf left the bridge and, after another awkward elevator ride, arrived in the hanger, hopped in their ships, and took off.

And the explination scene

“I think I owe all of you an explanation.” Fox told them of a conversation he had with Peppy shortly after he was made general.

“So what’s up Peppy?” Fox asked leaning back on the table.

“I’ve got some… disturbing, information you need to know.” Peppy responded. Fox cocked his head.

“What are you talking about?” he said.

“There’s a price on your head Fox.” Peppy said grimly. Fox laughed.

“So? What else is new? There’s always been a price on the team Peppy.”

“No Fox, there’s a price on YOUR head, yours and everyone else on the team.” Fox stood up.

“No…”

“Whoever ordered this hit really wants you gone. As a team, no single bounty hunter would be stupid enough to take you on but if they can collect by just taking down one of you… they may get a little braver.” Peppy said

“Dang it!” Fox shouted and slammed his fist on the table. He began pacing. “What am I gonna do Peppy?”

“That… is a decision I can’t make for you.”

“That’s the story…” Fox said. He was sitting leaned forward, his elbows on his knees. “I didn’t do anything right away, but then you left Falco, I mean, you always leave when things get slow.” Falco laughed. “When you left, the bounty on your head disappeared… that’s when I made my decision… there’s no way I could lose you guys. Falco, when dad disappeared and mom got sick you were always there.”

So there they are. Not neccicarly major changes but they make the story flow a little better. Be sure to tell me what you think:)

Heres a short update. Its the first part of chapter 11

Chapter 11: Preparing for War

Despite Fox giving the team the day off, the ship was abuzz with energy. On the way to Katina, Fox got a chance to sit down and really talk to his father for the first time since they reunited.

“Hey dad,” Fox asked. “Why didn’t you just come home?”

“Well… I didn’t know where home was.” James responded.

“What do you mean?”

“That crash really messed me up Fox. I didn’t start remembering who I was or what had happened until about two years ago. News is a little hard to come by on Sigma-Tel. I saw a news bit about you after you split Star Fox, and I slowly started to remember.”

“Why didn’t you say so to begin with?”

“I dunno, I guess it just never came up… I told your mother though.”

“Good, if anyone deserves to know it’s her.”

“What about you Fox?”

“Me? I'm just glad to have you back… I don’t think I ever would have accepted you were gone until I saw a body, but this works too.” He added with a laugh. James gave a laugh in return.

“So what are you going to do about Krystal?” James asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, what are your plans?”

“I really don’t know yet… I guess that’s really up to her.”

“You dwell on the past too much. If she hadn’t forgiven you would she still be around?”

“I know, but that’s not what I’m talking about. Forgiven or not, is she really ready to trust me again?”

“You’re just like your mother. If it helps, just loosen up and take it one day at a time and save the big decisions for after the fish fry.” Fox laughed.

“We should be getting close to Katina. I need to make sure the hanger is ready for Bill and Katt’s ships.”

Sorry its not much. I may have more before tonight but don't hold me to that.

Wanted to give you guys a heads up. My external hard drive freaked out on me yesterday and i have to get a replacement. Im not sure how much of the data i'll accutly be able to recovor but i wont be able to work on the story for a while, which blows. Sorry about all this.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, it's been way to long. So hears where things stand. As yall know, a little over 2 months ago my external hard drice went suicidal on me and took a dive off a four foot counter and, needless to say, has not worked since. Cue epic rage. Not only did it have 3 paragraphs i hadn't had a chance to put up but it also had all my music, videos, and pretty much everything else important to my life as far as data. I've been meening to send it in so they can get the info off of it but frankly im broke so i havn't been able to do that. I have, however, been able to recover my master, minus what i hadn't put up (dammit) and am determined to plow ahead. Hopfully I'll have somthing to show for it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an embarassingly small about of work but at least its somthing.

“We should be getting close to Katina. I need to make sure the hanger is ready for Bill and Katt’s ships.†He turned to leave but James stopped him.

“Fox,†he called. Fox turned to him. “I’m proud of you son.†James held out his right hand. Fox shook it and smiled. James smiled back and pulled Fox into his arms.

“Thanks dad,†Fox said, “It’s good to have you back.†He and his father separated. “Alright, I’m headed to the hanger.â€

“I’m gonna try and find Wolf, catch up a bit.â€

Fox and James both left the starboard observation deck and went their separate ways. Fox took the lift to the hanger. The lift doors opened and Fox was greeted by the usual sounds of mechanical arms whirring and the sparking of arc welders. The automated systems were still repairing both the Cloudrunner and Fox’s Arwing. Fox was skimming over the hanger when something caught his eye. Two stubby legs were sticking out of the cockpit of the Bullfrog, Slippy’s ship.

“Is that you Slippy?†Fox called. He was answered by a dull thud and a groan. Fox climbed up the side of the ship so he wouldn’t have to yell over the din of the auto-repair systems. “Sorry buddy didn’t mean to scare ya.â€

“It’s ok.†Slippy said, rubbing his head.

“What are you working on?â€

“Just tuning up a few things.â€

• 1 month later...

Made another small change to chapter 3 when they were deciding to go to sigma tel.

“Peppy?â€

“Go for it. I wanna know if he’s out there too.†Peppy replied.

“Umm,†Falco interrupted “not to be a wet blanket, but isn’t it sort of a bad idea to go chasing blind leads when the capital of the system was just attacked by an unknown enemy?â€

“I’ve already taken that into consideration.†Peppy replied. “Corneria is on full alert and since we don’t know what we’re fighting or where they came from we’re at a bit of a standstill. Plus if James is alive and we find him he may be able to help us fight.â€

“Good to know you’re still on top of things old-timer†Wolf laughed.

“Then it’s settled, Rob, set a course.†Fox turned to Krystal, “This will give us time to talk.â€

“Good,†She said and they left the bridge and headed for the mess hall.

It occored to me that it might not make since to take off like that but i think this small change fixes that