Why isn't the snes starfox on virtual console?

The Green Fox

Even though I have it on my laptop I want it to be on the virtual console so bad. That and Zero Wing. "All your base are belong to us." Love that line!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dragzilla66

• Robert Monroe

• Beau Skunk

• DZComposer

• 3 months later...

Nintendo is either lazy or thier like fuck it. There's copies of starfox's roms around the internet so whats the point putting it in the virtual console! (If thats true..then that is no excuse NINTENDO!  :hehe: )

I'd love to see it (I have an English ROM of SF2, but it's a pain to play with only a keyboard!), and I would buy it.

My theory is Nintendo probably just doesn't see much money to be made with recoding and emulating the game for the VC. Why put the manpower and money into pleasing a few fans when much more can be made on a newer game?

I think it will come out eventually, though, perhaps even on the 3DS's own Virtual Console over the Wii's when SF643D hits. Or maybe just when SF643D hits, whenever we get it.

I'd love to see it (I have an English ROM of SF2, but it's a pain to play with only a keyboard!), and I would buy it.

My theory is Nintendo probably just doesn't see much money to be made with recoding and emulating the game for the VC. Why put the manpower and money into pleasing a few fans when much more can be made on a newer game?

I think it will come out eventually, though, perhaps even on the 3DS's own Virtual Console over the Wii's when SF643D hits. Or maybe just when SF643D hits, whenever we get it.

exactly =O

The reason SFSNES is not on VC is because VC likely does not currently support SuperFX Games. There is not one Super FX game on VC. Not even Yoshi's Island. Seeing as Star Fox and Yoshi's Island are the only 2 games worth VCing, I doubt we'll see them as it likely isn't economically viable to alter the SNES VC codebase for just 2 games. Especially because SF is SFX1 game, and YI is a SFX2 game.

The reason SFSNES is not on VC is because VC likely does not currently support SuperFX Games. There is not one Super FX game on VC. Not even Yoshi's Island. Seeing as Star Fox and Yoshi's Island are the only 2 games worth VCing, I doubt we'll see them as it likely isn't economically viable to alter the SNES VC codebase for just 2 games. Especially because SF is SFX1 game, and YI is a SFX2 game.

Are you telling me that Nintendo can't make a channel port of Snes StarFox and Yoshi Island just because the port doesn't contain the Super FX 1 and 2 chip but StarFox 64 and the rest of the N64 Libery can be download!? What the heck!?  O_o

Are you telling me that Nintendo can't make a channel port of Snes StarFox and Yoshi Island just because the port doesn't contain the Super FX 1 and 2 chip but StarFox 64 and the rest of the N64 Libery can be download!? What the heck!?  O_o

Emulating the SuperFX chip is a bit weird, if I recall. Its not the same thing as just porting more modern 3D games.

The N64 is an entirely different system. The SuperFX was an add-on co-processor for the SNES. If the SNES emulator has no code to handle instructions for the SFX chip, SFX games won't run in it. As I said, Nintendo probably figure it wasn't worth adding that functionality to their SNES emulator just for two games (Star Fox and Yoshi's Island are the only noteworthy SFX games).

It was worth coding an N64 emulator because there are lots of noteworthy games on that platform.

Yoshi's Island eventually got re-written for the DS. Maybe SF will get ported to something. Of course that depends on whether or not the original code went down with Argonaut.

The N64 is an entirely different system. The SuperFX was an add-on co-processor for the SNES. If the SNES emulator has no code to handle instructions for the SFX chip, SFX games won't run in it. As I said, Nintendo probably figure it wasn't worth adding that functionality to their SNES emulator just for two games (Star Fox and Yoshi's Island are the only noteworthy SFX games).

It was worth coding an N64 emulator because there are lots of noteworthy games on that platform.

Yoshi's Island eventually got re-written for the DS. Maybe SF will get ported to something. Of course that depends on whether or not the original code went down with Argonaut.

That was a pretty stupid choice from Nintendo.  = /

Emulating the SuperFX chip is a bit weird, if I recall. Its not the same thing as just porting more modern 3D games.

Hmm.. I see.

Starfox uses software rendering using a special processor, it's likely to be easier to make a plugin that convert actual 3D acceleration much like that as seen in emulators on the computer, which use OpenGL or Direct3D plugins to emulate N64 games.

That was a pretty stupid choice from Nintendo.  = /

What's stupid about it? They have to write a new coprocessor emulator to stick into the current one. That requires having programmers develop, write, and debug it. All for 2 games. From a business POV, it is far from stupid. Why sink so much money into something you're going to sell for so little money? It's not good business sense.

The people who write programs like ZSNES aren't doing it as a business. They want parity with the SNES, so to them it was worth it. Especially since it was a volunteer effort.

What's stupid about it? They have to write a new coprocessor emulator to stick into the current one. That requires having programmers develop, write, and debug it. All for 2 games. From a business POV, it is far from stupid. Why sink so much money into something you're going to sell for so little money? It's not good business sense.

The people who write programs like ZSNES aren't doing it as a business. They want parity with the SNES, so to them it was worth it. Especially since it was a volunteer effort.

Ehh..Once again so very true. =S

Guys i don't even think they'll release star fox 2 on VC. But Star fox i don't know we can ask Nintendo to do a remake for the new 3DS or just try to add it into VC. All i know is that SF2 can't be on VC cause it isn't a complete game it was finish and debugged by hackers and all that. Still would be awesome if they had it on VC i mean at least we can get a taste of what the SF origanal feel like in an actual gaming system.

Guys i don't even think they'll release star fox 2 on VC. But Star fox i don't know we can ask Nintendo to do a remake for the new 3DS or just try to add it into VC. All i know is that SF2 can't be on VC cause it isn't a complete game it was finish and debugged by hackers and all that. Still would be awesome if they had it on VC i mean at least we can get a taste of what the SF origanal feel like in an actual gaming system.

Umm.. Starfox 64 3Ds is Starfox Snes remake and also Nintendo will never go back to starfox 2 so don't even think about it asking Nintendo to release that game! Lolz.

• 2 weeks later...

Umm.. Starfox 64 3Ds is Starfox Snes remake and also Nintendo will never go back to starfox 2 so don't even think about it asking Nintendo to release that game! Lolz.

Actually Starfox 64 3ds is a remake of Starfox 64 from the Nintendo 64 which was a remake of the SNES version. You just missed a step :P

Actually Starfox 64 3ds is a remake of Starfox 64 from the Nintendo 64 which was a remake of the SNES version. You just missed a step :P

Yeah I did. XD

• 1 month later...

I think as some people said already, I believe the main reason is because they might be having trouble emulating the Super FX chip hardware from the original Star Fox SNES game cartridge.

We haven't seen other Super FX chip enhanced games like Stunt Race FX, or SMW2: Yoshi's Island (it used the Super FX2 chip) in the Virtual Console library yet either. So it sounds likely. Hopefully they can get that fixed, but they might not go through the trouble sense VC sales have slowed recently, and it's alot of trouble to go through to sell $8 games... Doesn't meen they won't however. I hear rumors "Yoshi's Island" is going to be a download game for 3DS, so maybe Star Fox SNES will be, as well.

Argonaut Software helped co-develop the game, but I think Nintendo owns all of the rights to it, so they should be able to rerelease it anytime they want. The SNES game has been referenced in games like Wario Ware, and Animal Crossing. (The Arwing item plays music from the SNES game.)

It'll come eventually, its just that Nintendo cares more about WiiWare and DSiWare than the VC. All I know is we usually get one big name Nintendo title around Christmas time, so we have a small chance of seeing it.

I hope it does come out someday in some form.

While Wiiware does have some cool games (I love "Excitebike World Rally") it's kinda a shame the Virtual Console service is kinda getting shafted in favor of it. (Remember when we used to get 2 or 3 new VC games each week?)

Personally, I'd like to see "Ocarina of Time: Master Quest" come out for Virtual Console someday, because I never played it before. (Why not? We got "SMB: The Lost Levels")

Hi, Rob. I thought I recognised that screename. ;) You're from the olden days of the SF internet community, arn't ya? (I kinda miss "Mouth Off," and Puffy Wulf's place a bit.)

I remember DZ to, among some others.

Yoshi's Island eventually got re-written for the DS.

Actually, "Yoshi's Island DS" was a sequal, not a remake. I do hear rumors the original SNES Yoshi's Island game is going to get remade for the 3DS though. (Perhaps as a download game.)