Why isn't the snes starfox on virtual console?

The Green Fox

Hi, Rob. I thought I recognised that screename. ;) You're from the olden days of the SF internet community, arn't ya? (I kinda miss "Mouth Off," and Puffy Wulf's place a bit.)

I remember DZ to, among some others.

Actually, "Yoshi's Island DS" was a sequal, not a remake. I do hear rumors the original SNES Yoshi's Island game is going to get remade for the 3DS though. (Perhaps as a download game.)

I'm old, but not that old. Was on OTG during its final days as a -respectable- forum, but I had to only been 13 at the time.

And IIRC, Yoshi's Island got a GBA port, not a DS one?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dragzilla66

• Robert Monroe

• Beau Skunk

• DZComposer

And IIRC, Yoshi's Island got a GBA port, not a DS one?

That's right. Yoshi's Island DS is a full blown sequel with a cruel sense of humor.

Seriously, it may LOOK kiddy, but as a Yoshi's Island expert, the extra and secret stages probably collectively took 200 lives from me. That's worse than any of the romhacks the original Yoshi's Island has. Much worse.

Ah, now I remember sorry. And yeah, you're right it got a GBA remake. (Though, a bit reporgrammed to use the GBA's hardware, you can tell during the "Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy" level effects, wich look a li'l different from the SNES game.)

And yeah, Yoshi's Island DS's hidden levels are pretty tough. I still can't get 100% in them.

I say that the VC is useless and that you can get the games from...."Somewhere".. >.>

It's those things that you use to search out information about stuff and it aint no damn book either I can tell you that! =O

Are you refering to getting used old game cartridges off of auction websites, (wich sometimes don't work very well) or unofficial PC game emulator downloads?

I don't think the "Virtual Console" is that useless, considering you can get some games on it that are normally hard to find, or getting pretty expensive. Paying 8 bucks for Super Metroid is much cheaper then paying say 30 or 40 for it off of Ebay.

(Now if only they'd put up "EarthBound" on the VC service...)

Are you refering to getting used old game cartridges off of auction websites, (wich sometimes don't work very well) or unofficial PC game emulator downloads?

I don't think the "Virtual Console" is that useless, considering you can get some games on it that are normally hard to find, or getting pretty expensive. Paying 8 bucks for Super Metroid is much cheaper then paying say 30 or 40 for it off of Ebay.

(Now if only they'd put up "EarthBound" on the VC service...)

Idk what you be downloading because everything I got work perfectly fine with the emulators on Both Wii and PC's.

Well, thanks, but no thanks. Even if it did work, I don't really like playing games on my PC, because I don't have any game controllers for it yet, and using a keyboard is a pain for me.

Well, thanks, but no thanks. Even if it did work, I don't really like playing games on my PC, because I don't have any game controllers for it yet, and using a keyboard is a pain for me.

Agreed, I can't stand using a keyboard for games that more or less require a controller.  The absence of being able to play the original StarFox properly made me go out and buy a Super Nintendo from my local classic game shop :lol:

Dang, wish I had a local classic games shop... Also X-box controllers works on the computer (I use my controller more on comp then X-box now.:lol:). Still, I buy me games off the ebay, ect, I don't like playing games via emulator for no apparent reason.

Not wanting to sound "preachy," but I often hear unofficial downloadable video game emulators & ROMs given away for free by people on the internet are technically "illegal copies/downloads," copyright infringements, and yadda yadda yadda.

It's kinda like going into a movie theater, and videotaping the entire movie with a camera, and then giving out copies of it on the streets to people for free. (People actually do that to, believe it, or not.)

Wich is another reason, I'm kinda wary about downloading those things. (And for the reasons, I stated above.)

Though, it's not like the "internet police," or lawyers are going to bust your door down if you so much as download an unofficial unauthorized free copy of "Pong." So I'm not ganna tell people if they should, or shouldn't do it personally.

It's your choice, it's your buisness.

...It is tempting, though, considering that's the only way we can play some games like the (english fan-translated) "Mother 3" game. (The sequal to the cult-classic RPG "EarthBound" AKA "Mother 2.") Not to mention the unreleased Star Fox 2 game.

Eh, depends on how you look at it. I find it hard to call piracy on games that are out of print and over 10-20 years old. Now emulating a recent on the market game...

Eh, depends on how you look at it. I find it hard to call piracy on games that are out of print and over 10-20 years old. Now emulating a recent on the market game...

Agreed, the way I see it, the people who made the games are no longer making money off the game, now if I buy the game it's just going to some random guy who outbids on everyone on the cheaper games and then sells them at higher prices on ebay. If the money aint going to the creative peoples behind it I don't really care about "Pirating" it, I don't however, because I just love having that cartridge.

I love having carts too. I make an effort to purchase several games I've emulated from the secondhand market.

Then use a wired Xbox 360 controller.

• 6 months later...

I love having carts too. I make an effort to purchase several games I've emulated from the secondhand market.

I'm also with the hardware crew, Carts > Roms or VC.