Kinda hidden easter egg picture in Adventures

Mr. Krystal

Ah I see.. Was just curious.. Looks like it IS hard as shit after all.

If you ever get into the source code be sure to bring ESF some Krystal images B}.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Krystal

• Dashster

• EvolutionSFox

• XG Fox

If you ever get into the source code be sure to bring ESF some Krystal images B}.

o_0 Actually, I am planning to get the 3d models themselves. Then I can position them however you want. Of course, this will be doubly hard.

Sorry for double post, I finally found a place to get it. Looks like it will be at least 2 weeks to complete the download. I'll let you guys know.

TEH 3D MODELS!?!? DUDE.... THAT'D TOTALLY PWN! ESF would chase you all over for Krystal CG renders! @_@

Guest Mad_But_Happy

Wow, I've never seen that before! I don't think it's suppose to be any important characters, though. I mean... it's a ship full of unmarried men. There's bound to be a picture of a hot girl SOMEWHERE. ^_^

Wow' date=' I've never seen that before! I don't think it's suppose to be any important characters, though. I mean... it's a ship full of unmarried men. There's bound to be a picture of a hot girl SOMEWHERE. :D[/quote']

Hahahaha.. good point. :lol:

Totally agree with you... I wonder if they took it down when Krystal joined the team?

Krystal wouldn't have been able to see it as she came in. I bet right after the end of the cutscene, she said, "Well, what's all this then?" *pointing at poster* :lol:

Double post again! Sorry.

The ROM is almost downloaded. I'll begin experimentation tomorrow or Wednesday. I have several tools that are supposed to help with this, so I may not even need to deal with the source code. Updates will follow.

Okay, here we go:

Download finished yesterday. After much trouble I managed to extract the archives, then had more trouble getting them to my PC (I'm on a Mac), but I got them there. Then using something called "GC-Tool", I extracted all the game data. I'm just now exploring it. There are no tools that I know of yet to extract graphics from Gamecube games directly, but I'm still investigating. I'll leave you with some interesting quotes from inside the "GAMETEXT.bin" file.

Edit: I think there's some limit on the length of a post, so here's a link to the GAMETEXT.bin file:

http://www.dwightdesign.com/temp/starfoxgametext/GAMETEXT.bin.txt

And here's a link to some of the more interesting quotes, cleaned up and commented:

http://www.dwightdesign.com/temp/starfoxgametext/comments.txt

Wow. Some of that stuff is really really interesting. Particularly this: "Across the ravine you will find our most sacred treasure, the Horn Of Truth. Only a true believer may cross the divide. Believe in your quest Sabre, you must believe." which is, no doubt, in reference to that cavern section where Fox jumps into an invisible bridge. And also this, which confirms my suspicions that the planet was not originally falling apart: "Dark Ice Mines lies beyond the Snowhorn Wastes."

The original names of some of the items:

[*]"This is a ... DUSTER! These magical creatures hold strange powers that can restore life! If you run out of energy and have collected at least one duster, it can be used to restore you back to good health! As well as collecting Dusters for your own good, they hold another secret for you to discover!"

[*]"These are ... DINO FRUITS They are found growing in the trees. Sometimes you'll have to shoot them out or just hang around and maybe they will fall out! Walk over them to collect and they'll recharge your energy!"

[*]"These are ... ENERGY EGGS The SharpClaws keep them hidden in crates and baskets. Walk over them to collect and they'll recharge your energy!"

[*]"You have earned your first ... ENERGY HOLDER! This increases the maximum amount of energy you can hold to four units! By completing further tasks or meeting other characters, you will be able to earn more Energy Holders!"[/list:u]

And the combat system was more Zelda like, as opposed to the auto-lock-on method: "This is a SHARPCLAW. Tap or Hold the Z BUTTON to lock the camera onto him. Press the A BUTTON to hit him with your staff. Press the B BUTTON to dodge his attacks."

I'm guessing this is in reference to Krazoa Palace: "You have collected your first Object, a WARP CRYSTAL! This crystal is used to power the warp from Warlock Mountain!"

Apparently you were supposed to find the maps, not buy them: "There you are my Boy, this is a map of SnowHorn Wastes. You can collect Maps from other Dinosaur Tribes. I'm sure they'll be useful on your adventures."

And apprently there was supposed to be spells in the game: "MINDREAD SPELL| Reads Only Small Minds"

There's still more interesting text (conversations I tried to properly break apart, and give names to):

[*]Spellstone Gaurdian: "Give me the SpellStone"

[*]Scales: "Wait! Did the king earthwalker not tell you? If you shut down this temple how do think you are going to get back to your planet. The moment that it is placed, the power in the Communication Chamber will stop. You'll be trapped here forever."

[*]SG: "Don't listen to him he's lying."

[*]Krystal/Sabre: "You may speak the truth Scales, But I'd rather remain here and save this wonderful planet than watch you destroy it!"

[*]Scales [ed: Vader ^_^]: "NOOOOOOOooooooo!"

[*]Krystal/Sabre: "Close your eyes Kyte."[/list:u]

And another:

[*]Tricky: "Dad, dad you're Ok!"

[*]King Earthwalker: "Tricky my son, you don't have to worry about me, I am the king. You must be Fox, Randorn spoke very highly of you."

[*]Sabre(Fox): "You know my Father?"

[*]KE: "Of course. It is because of me that you are on Dinosaur Planet. My soldiers uncovered a chamber beneath this very temple, it was from there that I was able to contact, General Pepper."

[*]Sabre(Fox): "There are other planets out there? With other civilizations?"

[*]KE: "Of course, we are not the only ones you know."

[*]Tricky: "Dad how do we get you out of here?"

[*]KE: "You must go into the chamber beneath this temple and collect a SpellStone. It has been taken by the leader of the RedEye tribe. Bring it back to me, as only I can activate it."

[*]Tricky: "You're a Guardian?"

[*]KE: "And it is a role that you will have to continue one day."

[*]Tricky: "I'm gonna be a Guardian, I'm gonna be a Guardian"[/list:u]

Obviously that's left from very early on in the transition from DP to SF:DP, as simply switching Fox with Sabre, General Pepper with some other character that Sabre knows (perhaps Randorn himself), and Communication Chamber with Magic Temple (or something similar), makes those make so much more sense.

Taking that, and applying it to this: "I am Fox McCloud, Royal Knight of the Lylat System." it gives us a nice peek into what Sabre actually was (a Royal Knight of his home world/country).

Another snippette, showing Scales did not originally have the Spellstones (and probably peeks a bit towards Krystal's original role):

[*]Krystal: "What's going on?"

[*]Tricky/Kyte: "It seems that scales has been waiting for you to do the hard work for him, and now they've got the SpellStone."

[*]Scales: "Stop wasting time and bring it to me!"

[*]Tricky/Kyte: "You're going to have to stop them."

[*]Krystal: "So, we meet again General Scales."

[*]Scales: "Why if it isn't the animal girl.

[*]Krystal: "I thought you were dead, how did you survive the fall from the galleon?"

[*]Scales: "I have been given powers that you can only dream of."[/list:u]

Apparently Krystal was to have knocked Scales off the galeon in a battle? Either that or I messed the lines, but it doesn't make sense if I switch the last two speakers.

And even with all that, there's *still* more interesting stuff in there. Which really leads me to wonder, why the heck Rare so thoroughly screwed the original story. I would've preferred 100x over to get the original Dinosaur Planet game than having had it turned into a Starfox title (no offense intended).

Dang! There's so much weird stuff hidden through that text file. I wonder if what the images will look like. And what the hell is hidden in there :lol:.

A few more observations, after going over some of the older pictures and videos (from both the near-complete Dinosaur Planet, and the freshly-transplanted Star Fox: Dinosaur Planet).

Originally, it seems you were looking for Scale's galeon for Princess Kyte, which more than likely indicates that "battle" was supposed to place later, not at the beginning of the game. In onf of the DP videos I got from IGN, Krystal clearly says she's looking for the Princess. Interestingly, in that trailer as well as the completed game, there is that young CloudRunner trapped in the cage.. the only remnants left of the Princess, most likely. I can only guess you were supposed to battle Scales and knock him off the galeon to free Kyte.

There were also a few locales completely taken out of the game, or at least dramatically altered.. so much so that they might as well be completely new. The first being Discovery Falls. With this (apparently rare, pardon the pun) collection of mp3s from the original DP soundtrack, it has a tune for a place called Discovery Falls, and it bares a striking resemblance to the tune for what is now Cape Claw. Interestingly, there is also an mp3 here for Cape Claw, and I don't recognize the tune from anywhere in the completed game. Might be interesting to listen through the music test and see if it's there as an easter egg. There's some pictures and some video showing an unknown water area, which I initially thought was the original Cape Claw, but it now seems to potentially be Discovery Falls.

Another which you can see simply by watching another trailer from IGN, is durring a sequence where you can flat out see Krystal riding one of those jet bikes through a desert-like area. Also in a quicker shot, somewhat easy to miss, but you can see her in an unfamiliar grassy field. Both of which I don't remember seeing anywhere in the completed game.

Oh, and since you guys like Krystal art, here's some stuff you may or may not have seen..

A good quality wallpaper of DP:

http://media.www.gamestats.com/media/014/014516/img_1235073.html

and concept sketches of Krystal and Sabre:

http://media.www.gamestats.com/media/014/014516/img_1235072.html

http://media.www.gamestats.com/media/014/014516/img_1235071.html

Indeed. ^_^ Well.. one can always hope Rare could try putting it out for the DS (which they will be supporting) or an N64 ROM will turn up like the SNES Star Fox 2 beta did. The game was more or less complete before Nintendo made them change it.

Indeed. :twisted: Well.. one can always hope Rare could try putting it out for the DS (which they will be supporting) or an N64 ROM will turn up like the SNES Star Fox 2 beta did. The game was more or less complete before Nintendo made them change it.

No they wont, MS bought Rare.

No they wont, MS bought Rare.

Yes they are. Check Rareware's website, in the Extras->Pantsboard section. It's a section where they ask for feedback, and the current/last one was:

"Given recent confirmation that Rare will be supporting the Nintendo DS, what projects do you hope or expect to see from us on this system? Is there anything you don't want to see?"

That was put up sometime after mid 2004, when MS had already bought them. I believe Rare just can't develop for the next-gen home consoles, but the can still on the handhelds (they have GBA titles through 2003, 2004, and 2005).

I disagree slightly. These things weren't intended to be easter eggs (not the DP stuff) as they are only accessible by hacking the code. Any DP stuff that would show up in the sound test or whatever is uncleaned up code. Programmers (myself included) are often messy, and who can blame them on such a huge project (over a gig of data)? With this in mind, it is possible, though unlikely, that the entire DP game is stored within the code here, just unused. I've seen lots of other files here containing "ROMLIST" in the file name and there is a file called "mod64.zlb.bin". There are probably hundreds of files containing "MOD" in the file name, hinting that much or all of the original game is here, but simply modified or redirected. Oh, and there is a file named "discovery.romlist.zlb", so I'm guessing you are right about the Discovery Falls part.

As for decoding, I'm still working on it. There are virtually no tools for helping with this specific code, so I'll have to go out and learn compression schemes and image storage systems. That's okay though, I want to, I'm just saying it will take a while. (Of course, if they finally get Starfox Adventures working on emulator, that will make the task much quicker.)

I disagree slightly. These things weren't intended to be easter eggs (not the DP stuff) as they are only accessible by hacking the code.

Actually, I just meant the Discovery Falls music, being a easter egg in the sound test menu, not the rest of the missing game. :twisted: Though it would be sweet if the original DP was somehow an unlockable easter egg. Lord knows, the GC is powerful enough to emulate an N64 and the full size of the compressed ROM is just a drop in the bucket for a GC disc.

Actually' date=' I just meant the Discovery Falls music, being a easter egg in the sound test menu, not the rest of the missing game. :D Though it would be sweet if the original DP was somehow an unlockable easter egg. Lord knows, the GC is powerful enough to emulate an N64 and the full size of the compressed ROM is just a drop in the bucket for a GC disc.[/quote']

That's what I'm saying, the Discovery Falls Music is in the sound test by mistake. Anyway, I'm nitpicking, sorry. :twisted:

That's what I'm saying' date=' the Discovery Falls Music is in the sound test by mistake. Anyway, I'm nitpicking, sorry. :twisted:[/quote']

Ah, okay. Sorry, I misread what you meant.

Though I think the term Easter Egg can be applied to "left over" stuff as well, as long as it's (mostly) functioning.. not just things specificly put in to be found.

On another note, I'm also going to try checking out the ROM. I should have it in about 10 or 12 hours. Unfortunately I need to get to bed before that and I'm going to a convention early tomorrow until sometime Monday.