Kinda hidden easter egg picture in Adventures

Mr. Krystal

Guest Falco The Master

As for the posters, rare ALWAYS puts posters in their games. Like Banjo Tooie there are posters for Jet Force Gemeni, and doesn't that lady look like Miyu Linx from star fox 2? http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/NSA/Sheets/SF2Sheet.png

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Krystal

• Dashster

• EvolutionSFox

• XG Fox

As for the posters' date=' rare ALWAYS puts posters in their games. Like Banjo Tooie there are posters for Jet Force Gemeni, and doesn't that lady look like Miyu Linx from star fox 2? http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/NSA/Sheets/SF2Sheet.png[/quote']

She looks nothing like Miyu. Miyu doesnt have hair, and Miyu has stripes. Plus Miyu is supposed to be really serious.

She's probably a celebirity, a huge fashion model in the Cornerian city places... I MEAN LOOK AT HER CLOTHING.

XD

Or what would appear to be clothing....

I'm not sure if I want to know why it says "Good Times" on it, though....

Methinks ESF's right...or maybe the designers needed something to "motivate" them.

-Inuyasha

Talk to this guy:

http://www.emutalk.net/member.php?u=21602

He's extracted scenes from Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, and Double Dash.

He has a viewer, but it's for Windows.

Okay, I'm back. I've started preliminary sifting through this junk. I haven't been able to get at the textures yet.. however I have been able to get at the audio samples. For some reason, I don't recall this conversation happening in the Walled City. This sample was actually stitched together from several other samples, but they were named incrementally, such that it was pretty obvious they go together.. but more than likely with some game play/action in between. And while most (yes, I said most!) of Falco's lines were reused, I think it probably was originally from a different conversation.

BTW, I found these particular clips in the streams/WC folder, along with all the other samples used in the Walled City level. I also find it interesting that Fox's sound clips are all appended with _sa, while other character's have more suitable letters (falco's are _fa, tricky's are _tr, etc). Some hidden remnants of the original main character, Sabre, more than likely.

I found some empty map directories, two in particular called dbay and dfalls. So, it seems Discovery Falls and Discovery Bay(???) aren't anywhere in the completed game. :D Some interesting/filled map folders I did find, though, are called warlock, nwastes, and nwshrine. I have a feeling Krazoa Palace spawned from "Warlock Mountain" (I also have a suspicion that the Krazoa might not've been involved at all originally, though I don't have much to go on that), while nwastes/Northern Wastes and nwshrine/Northern Wastes Shrine might've turned into that fortress level. If you've seen those trailers, remember that section where Krystal was speeding through a desert-like area on a hover bike? I'm now thinking that was (on the way to) the Northern Wastes.

Here's another neat sound clip. A slightly different conversation with the WarpStone. He had a deeper voice, called the Control Stick the Joystick, and indicates that it was not a maze that was supposed to be under him...

Still haven't gotten anywhere on any of the textures. A lot of the files seem to use this ZLB compression which I haven't fully deciphered yet. But I'm working on it.

As for the nwastes/Northern Wastes thing, it appears it is not Dragon Rock as I originally thought. Along with that, I found references to places called Gold Plains and Gold Plains Shrine. More fun stuff, there's a couple sound clips in streams/DB (Discovery Bay) that I don't recognize, which seem to be indicative of a boss), and the victory/failure clips for the Krazoa tests are in streams/DFS. And some weird "cheat well" clips that aren't in the game. Mysteries, mysteries...

Fun fact: Thorntail Hollow was originally called SwapStone Hollow, and the WarpStone was originally called the SwapStone (makes sense, given that you were supposed to use it to switch/swap between Sabre and Krystal).

Edit: Wow. I just found some really old audio clips. These are from SwapStone Hollow and make direct references to:

[*]Willow Grove

[*]Strange things happening at Willow Grove

[*]An evil creature at Willow Grove

[*]Diamond Bay (apparently not Discovery Bay)

[*]SharpClaw draining the river

[*]The SwapStone

[*]Randon[/list:u]

And also some things about logs and fish...

Great job KCat!!!

I'm busy for 5 days and you accomplished all this!

I gotta ask, how did you figure out what kind of compression was used on the images?

I also couldn't figure out how you got the sound off there. How did you convert the .adp files? Audacity's "Import RAW Data" could read the sound (8-bit, 28000 Hz, 2-Channel), but the extra data made it REALLY static-y.

Edit:

Ha ha, I found out how you did the audio. That was a lot of wasted work on my part. :) There's a tool for everything isn't there? :lol:

I gotta ask' date=' how did you figure out what kind of compression was used on the images?[/quote']

I haven't been able to find how the images are stored yet, unfortubately. Though the TEX[0|1].bin files seem to use this ZLB container thing as well, which I'm still trying to figure out (some of my original assumptions about it seem to have been wrong).

Indeed. If I haven't noticed the adpcm2wav tool previously, I would've gone about trying to use MS's ADPCM method to decode it. :P

This keeps getting more and more interesting..

Very, very...

More fun stuff.

First off, I wrote up a little program to clean up some of the junk in GAMETEXT.bin. I intentionally left it a bit messy since some of the "junk" seems to indicate some kind of scripting, but it should be much more readable, now.

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/texts.txt

Also, I stitched this conversation together. Despite the small plot hole it makes (which would be easy enough to fix, IMO), it's a much better reason for Fox to continue after the SpellStones than the current reason of "well, the planet came back together for a second then fell apart again, so I gotta continue".. which itself was a plot hole to the current story..

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/plot-point.ogg

That's good KCat. It makes sense with what I've been hearing Krystal say. (Translated all of the files containing "kr"). The reason they took off that part was probably because of the removal of Krystal's larger role even within Starfox Adventures. And they probably removed THAT role because they didn't want to overemphasis her love for Fox.

See http://www.dwightdesign.com/temp/sa/kp11n_kr.wav

and http://www.dwightdesign.com/temp/sa/kp11s_kr.wav

(Fox is asking her to join.)

Sorry I don't have time to explore anymore right now.

The way it sounds to me, is that Nintendo, or perhaps someone else, was makeing a game called "Dinosaur Planet" and only later did they decide to make it a starfox game.

The way it sounds to me' date=' is that Nintendo, or perhaps someone else, was makeing a game called "Dinosaur Planet" and only later did they decide to make it a starfox game.[/quote']

Rare was making a game called Dinosaur Planet for the N64. It was suposed to be the last big bang for the system (and from videos and screenshots of the game, it was extremely impressive). It featured two cat/fox-like anthros, named Sabre and Krystal, on a planet full of dinosaurs that you had to save from being taken over by General Scales. You played as both Krystal and Sabre as you went through the game. Sabre was accompanied by Prince Tricky, and Krystal had Princess Kyte (a cloudrunner, who's mother, the Queen, was apparently killed by Scales).

Sabre was the son (I think?) of a wizard called Randorn. When Sabre was 10, his (Randorn's or Sabre's, I'm not sure) brother was killed, and Randorn just left and disappeared. Around this time, Randorn found Krystal (who was supposed to be about 5 or 6 at this time, I think) and started raising her. About 10 years later, Sabre decided to go out in search of Randorn.

Now, as the game was nearing completion (it was very close to being done, if it wasn't actually done), Shigeru Miyamoto noticed how much Sabre looked like Fox McCloud. Since they didn't have a StarFox title in planned for the next while, Nintendo "convinced" Rare to change the game into a SF title for the Gamecube. You can see how big of a problem this presented as the story didn't mix very well with the StarFox universe. Take that, and mix in a touch of a Microsoft buyout of Rare while the title was still being reworked, and you get the slop that is known as StarFox Adventures.

It is my hope though, that since Rare will be supporting the Nintendo DS, and the DS is somewhat-sorta-kinda comparible to the N64 in power, that the original Dinosaur Planet could turn up as a title for it. The only thing is that DP was going to use the largest cart size the N64 had available, and I don't know if the DS is capable of that much storage in a cost-effective manner.

I really loved Adventures though so, Yay Rare/Nintendie!

My question is why is the Starfox series doomed to last minute adjustments that either completly ruin the original concept, or just create wierd plot holes.

It's more than likely a MIDI or MOD-type format. The music in the cutscenes use streamed .adp (which is pre-mixed with voices), but the level music doesn't appear to use .adp. The music is probably in the audio/ folder.

Unfortunately I doubt I'm going to find much more until I figure out what this ZLB stuff is.

I got the whole Star Fox Adventures soundtrack. ESF sent it to me ^^!

(50 mp3s, 105 mb). You're probably looking for that?? D: