Character design contest #1

Asper Sarnoff

Hi folks!

I had this idea that I needed to get out of my head. I'd like to challenge our community into a friendly contest to spur our creative juices.

Okay, the goal of the contest is a character design, which means that to participate you will have to submit a picture, be it traditional drawing, digital drawing or 3D renders of your character, animated or still, and write a detailed character sheet about this person.

The submissions won't be judged on the quality of the picture, which is for illustrational purposes, but rather on the originality and inventiveness in the overall character design. So don't think you have no chance because you're not a very good drawer. Everyone has a fair chance!

Rules:

All submissions must be in before the 15th of March.

Collaborative works may be submitted, but only with the approval of all contributors. The exception being 3D renders where the creators of all models used have stated they are free to use for non-commercial renders.

The picture submitted must be at least "big enough" and of a "high enough" quality to be judged.

The normal rules for posting pictures apply: http://forums.starfox-online.net/index.php?action=rules#image, except even artistic nudity is prohibited.

Submissions are to be posted in this thread.

Do not reuse a character you have allready posted data on elsewhere. It has to be unused or created just for the sake of this contest. You will naturally be free to use him/her for whatever you want later on.

More rules may be added if the need arises.

The judge(s) is yet to be decided, but will be strictly neutral in his/her judgement.

There is no price as of yet, except the fun of friendly competition.

The goal of this contest is:

Create a 6th member of the Starfox team. Be it male or female. This character will be an addition to the original team of Fox, Falco, Slippy, Peppy and Krystal. Not a replacement for any of these.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Asper Sarnoff

• Kursed

• Starfox mccloud15

• CR4CK3RW0LF

Hmm, perfect timing there Asper, I was going to write a fanfic/background for my character Vy'drach, who has yet to be seen, and post a pic of him as soon as I get it drawn, I suppose I should combine the two and enter it into this as well. Perhaps this will give me the motivation to actually write the fanfic and finish drawing him (The head details and arm proportions are driving me insane!)

Good to hear there is some interest in it. I feared no one would participate.

You are more than welcome to participate Vydrach and Catwings. Glad to see you haven't forgotten us Cat.

i volunteer to be a judge should the need arise.

I'll consider it.

How many submissions are we limited to? I just did a concept and it's pretty much finished but I might want fix it or redo it so I don't want it to count for a final.

I could judge as well, I don't compare one piece of artwork with another, I rate based on the artwork itself (detail, creativity and all that).

How many submissions are we limited to? I just did a concept and it's pretty much finished but I might want fix it or redo it so I don't want it to count for a final.

I could judge as well, I don't compare one piece of artwork with another, I rate based on the artwork itself (detail, creativity and all that).

You can come with as many submissions as you like, but the final, single piece has to be posted before the 15th of March.

This isn't really going to be as much of an art contest as it is of a character design contest. The picture is of strictly illustrational purposes. But naturally, a well drawn illustration will give you an edge in the competition.

I think it is a good idea, (just do not expect me to submit anything) but if you allow me I would like to see what the artists can do.

I think mostly the same... I do not think you would choose me for such important task; however I can be impartial and objetive.

I think mostly the same... I do not think you would choose me for such important task; however I can be impartial and objetive.

Thanks for the offer.

Im not going down without a fight! I'm in!

Welcome in! Congratulations on the new avatar by the way. It seems Wolf learnt the hard way not to play with forks.

Thanks for the offer.

Welcome in! Congratulations on the new avatar by the way. It seems Wolf learnt the hard way not to play with forks.

I think that was because of his 'dry' comment.

I think that was because of his 'dry' comment.

No, it is from the animated series by FredrykPhox. An accident involving Fox if I remember correctly.

Welcome aboard Caat01 and Tyler.

thanks Asper

well finally i finished, here it is they are:

kay_finished_by_caat01.jpg7b68b8e0aa2132f7fd6340b56a45f515.jpg

http://caat01.deviantart.com/art/kay-finished-154028341 first one

http://caat01.deviantart.com/art/second-kay-155726206 the second one

Bio:

the name is Kay,

weight: 90 pounds

height: 2'7 6,0 thanks for the tip Asper!

came from Katina looking for a better way to exploit his potential, he served the Katina army for five years as a pilot, but he left the army after the lylat war, is very cooperative, because of his appearance, any one would say that he is criminal and a violent person, but is quite the opposite. is very talkative and likes to be always well informed, an excellent soldier and pilot. one of his weakpoints is that he is very concerned about his teammates. can easily learn to fly any ship.

one thing you should know of him is that he never smiles, and if he does run for your life.

characteristics, strengths and weakness:

a good melee fighter.

likes the big guns, but can handle the small ones.

he is good collecting information.

a good negotiator.

a good pilot that can fly in any ship.

(sorry for the little bio)

thanks Asper

well finally i finished, here it is:

kay_finished_by_caat01.jpg

http://caat01.deviantart.com/art/kay-finished-154028341

Bio:

the name is Kay,

weight: 90 pounds

height: 2'7

came from Katina looking for a better way to exploit his potential, he served the Katina army for five years as a pilot, but he left the army after the lylat war, is very cooperative, because of his appearance, any one would say that he is criminal and a violent person, but is quite the opposite. is very talkative and likes to be always well informed, an excellent soldier and pilot. one of his weakpoints is that he is very concerned about his teammates. can easily learn to fly any ship.

one thing you should know of him is that he never smiles, and if he does run for your life.

characteristics, strengths and weakness:

a good melee fighter.

likes the big guns, but can handle the small ones.

he is good collecting information.

a good negotiator.

a good pilot that can fly in any ship.

(sorry for the little bio)

That was quick. One small tip I want to give you is that most people use more human like dimensions on the characters. At 2, 7", this guy is much smaller than even Slippy.

Fox I'll estimate to be 1,77 Metres, Falco around 1,82 Metres, and Wolf around 1,86. Not counting hair or feathers.

It should be a quick fix however.

Permission to judge asper?

The judges will determine who is the winner in PM after all entries have been submitted. Untill then, please refrain from going into detail on what is good and what is bad with a submission, as that will give an unfair advantage to later submitors.

Fox is  5'8 so i'd imagine krstal be around 5'8 as well.

5,8"? I knew he was smaller than average, but not tiny. Where do you have that info from?

5,8"? I knew he was smaller than average, but not tiny. Where do you have that info from?

wiki,yahoo answers it's pretty much everwher.

Hmm, I think I'll be able to give this a try.

I'll toss this into my juggling act of various other tasks.  *juggles*

The picture submitted must be at least 400x400 pixels in size, and of a high enough quality to be judged.

400 x 400 or higher? I'm used to working on large portraits with 300px per square inch.