StarFox - The Animated Series

Fredryk Phox

"Fair Use" doesn't mean use it however you want to. It is a very specific thing. To be fair use, it HAS to be for criticism, educational, parody, or informational purposes.

You can't film yourself running and put the Chariots of Fire theme as the music track and call it fair use. You can, however, take clips of a news broadcast and critique it and call it fair use.

I don't really see it as a parody. Too me it feels "official" as opposed to just joking about the source material, and it reflects most of the Star Fox fanbase. Maybe Star Fox is meant to go in this more "adult" direction, just like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was originally more adult but grew more kid-friendly.

"IIIIIT'S"

101_StarWolf3.jpg

This is my favorite one for some reson lol

Well, someone is bound to download it from your site and put them on Youtube, taking your rightful views. As long as you source your music, like if you use a popular song that's on amazon or itunes, you can mark it and it should be good right? Well, whatever lol

keep it up!  :lol:

@DZ, arent you allowed to use it so long as you give credit in the proper form where it is due? using your chariot of fire example, if you put the title and artist at the end of your video, doesnt that prevent copywrite infringement?

either way, if you do cite the music, then i think youtube is a little more leanient with the "tubehammer" or whatever you wanna call it.

@freddy, STARWOLF!!! that last pic made me lol :D

By the way Fred, did you make the intro/teaser music yourself or was it ripped from another song?

"Fair Use" doesn't mean use it however you want to. It is a very specific thing. To be fair use, it HAS to be for criticism, educational, parody, or informational purposes.

You can't film yourself running and put the Chariots of Fire theme as the music track and call it fair use. You can, however, take clips of a news broadcast and critique it and call it fair use.

I know, although for some strange reason, Youtube accepts this, and un-mutes the audio of most videos, no matter how random.  I've tried it multiple times.  Go figure.

@DZ, arent you allowed to use it so long as you give credit in the proper form where it is due? using your chariot of fire example, if you put the title and artist at the end of your video, doesnt that prevent copywrite infringement?

No! Copyright has very little to do with credit. Look at the word "copyright." It is a portmanteau of the words copy and right. It means a government granted right to an artist or author to distribute copies of their work exclusively.

What that means is that if you create a work, by default you have the absolute right to control it. If I write a piece of music, I can tell people what they can and cannot do with it.

Copyright in the US (and the Public Domain) is actually established by the US Constitution:

To promote the progress of science and useful arts' date=' by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

[/quote']

It exists to ensure that content creators get a chance to gain from their work before the public can have it (public domain). Sadly, the large media companies, led by Disney, have successfully lobbied congress to extend the length of copyright terms every time early Mickey Mouse cartoons get close to becoming public domain.

It is my personal belief that a copyright should last 20 years, or until the death of the author, whichever comes first. Seriously, there is no need for the estate of JRR Tolkien to make large sums of money off of things they didn't even write. It wasn't their labor that created LOTR, so why should they profit from it? I have a serious problem with the notion of people earning a living by sitting on their asses waiting for checks to arrive in the mail, be them from royalties or dividends.

There are only two ways around these controls: the first is permission of the copyright holder. If Sony BMG says you can use their copyrighted songs in your video, then you can.

Copyright holders can be as lenient or as strict as they want. I, for instance, allow people to use my music for whatever they want, so long as they credit me, link to me, and don't make money off of it.

Most content creation companies are a lot stricter. This is why there is all this hubbub about file sharing.

The second way around the copyright is fair use. In US law, Fair Use has its roots in the 1st amendment to the US Constitution. Its main purpose is to allow for the critique or reporting of news related to a copyrighted work without fear of copyright being used to silence the criticism. This has been extended for parody and for educational purposes.

Enforcement isn't consistent with what is protected under copyright law, and what a holder will litigate. Technically Nintendo could shut SFO down if they wanted too. We host a lot of things that Nintendo has under copyright, like the music, sound effects, voice acting, game scripts, etc. and a claim of fair use is dubious at best. But, Nintendo likely doesn't care that we host that stuff. I'm pretty sure they know SFO exists, and I know for a fact that they know ArwingLanding exists, and they host a lot of the same stuff we do. We aren't hosting ROMs, and most of that stuff is out of print anyway so it isn't worth paying the legal team over. Not to mention the bad PR that comes down every time a rights holder shuts down a fansite. We're free advertising for Nintendo, and shutting down a fansite removes that in addition to providing a negative feeling among customers and potential customers. They have the legal right to do it, but it doesn't make much business sense.

By the way Fred, did you make the intro/teaser music yourself or was it ripped from another song?

No, it's definatively from a song someone else made. I believe it's called "Genesis" by Justice, but not entirely sure. I'm without sound at the moment, so no point in in searching it up on Youtube and comparing.

It's Genesis from Justice's 'Cross' album.

There's going to be a lot of great songs in the series, but I am making a few of my own to stick in there, mainly the musical/singing parts for the characters, but I also have a few renditions of StarFox songs I've remade on the site, for background score in some of the episodes.

Just saw the update for the ??????? section on your site FredrykPhox! IT'S HILARIOUS!!! Take your time, and I can't wait to see the full episodes, or even another clip.  :D

Lawl, just watched it too, and all I can say is

moonwalks.jpg

ATCHA-ATCHA-W000000000!!!!! HEEHEEHEE!!! *twirls and grabs crotch*

your good, but IM BETTAH!!!

wolf is most definately a smooth criminal XD

wolf failed

No. Wolf is annoyed because we failed. :P

This is ridiculous. I'll have to get it on beta vhs laserdisc DVD if it becomes available like that

Guest Julius Quasar

Wolf_FP.png

My thoughts exactly.

This is ridiculous. I'll have to get it on beta vhs laserdisc DVD if it becomes available like that

Haha, that's cool, I agree.

Back on topic,

Fredry, buddy, how is this coming along so far?  Where do you get your ideas for these episodes?  What initially inspired you to do this project (besides Star Fox)?

Some of the characters are based on friends of mine and their personalities, while some things that happen to the characters are also based on things that have happened to me or my friends... a lot just comes from my head, but yeah, some of the story is based on stuff that's happened.