The Rumor Busting thread.

DZComposer

Found something suspicious that claims to be news of a new SF game? Post it here, and help other debunk the ones they've found!

NOTE: This is a skeptic's thread. We will pick apart anything posted here.

Today's entry:

dmL9XywuJCE

The poster claims these are leaked screens from a Star Fox Wii game.

I call BS. The models look a tad low poly for Wii, and the lighting is terrible. The Great Fox in some of the later shots sure looks like a re-textured SF64 model to me. He cites this source: "Long story short, my dad who is a car salesman, met one of the guys that is working on the new Star Fox Wii. I think his name was Lyle or Loy, somthing with a "L"..."

Problems with this:

1. Most likely, the development would be taking place in Japan.

2. Why would an employee who signed an NDA share things with a used car salesman? Great way to lose his/her job combined with being sued.

But, to nail this guy for good, I need to know where these came from. Any ideas?

EDIT: I found a video showing the same Arwing model in Garry's Mod:

bldFQiFskYI

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=57518

We'll do this Mythbusters style:

BUSTED - We've proven it a hoax. Most items will fall here.

PLAUSIBLE - Cannot be proven to be official, but cannot be disproven either. This DOES NOT MEAN that it is real. It simply means we can't tell. A really really good fake may land here.

CONFIRMED - This is real and confirmed by an official source. Most likely, this will be a retroactive reclassification of a PLAUSIBLE claim.

I believe those screens are surely and truly from a Wii game!...

Surely from Smash Bros. Brawl! The warp scene at 0:26 is the main clue I have, since it appears to be exactly the scene change from the Lylat Cruise stage. I also know how those images could have been obtained, since I got a few interesting shots myself from SF Assault.

When you emulate a GC or Wii game with the OpenGL graphics plugin, there's a "Free Move" option which allows you to move the camera around. Use that to move it out into space behind the combat stage, and bingo. Close ups of low poly models doing things you wouldn't normally see.

AH, background scenery. That would explain the lack of detail.

Yes, those models are definitely from Brawl. The fatal flaw of 99% of all fakes is that they reuse assets. An obvious sign that they never seem to understand.

Yes, those models are definitely from Brawl. The fatal flaw of 99% of all fakes is that they reuse assets. An obvious sign that they never seem to understand.

They are fake for a reason...

I actually think this thread is a good idea.

I have been seeing so much fake stuff lately.

Not on the web, but... on a small game store.

I think the SF2 pirate cart has become a bit... common.

They had like 3 of them, and writen above a sing saying:

"¡La univesalmente reconocida secuela de Star Fox!"

("The universally acclaimed sequel to Star Fox!")

While I know these are fake, it's good to know what to look for when it comes to the box art.

starfoxonline.png

The name of that one is just appropriate, too, or did someone on here make it? Anyway, it is a rehashing of Assault and Brawl images, though the person did do a very good job of it, I am sure some people out there actually bought that it was the next Star Fox game.

starfoxboxartcopy.png

This one is a bit more obvious, what with the one Brawl image, and the title itself being dead giveaways. Also how out of place everything seems to be.

The obvious flaws in those is the use of SFAs and SSBB character models.

The first one is surprisingly well-made. Someone knows their Photoshop. They've managed to maintain a level of consistency not found in most fakes. If this person teamed up with a good 3D artist, they could be dangerous, as debunking the boxart would require deeper digging that most people wouldn't do. I have to laugh at the title. Which one of you is Eggboy? :P

Now look at the second one. Everything is obviously tacked-on. Real box art has a level of fluidity. It seriously looks like this person used WordArt to make the logo. It's terrible. Look at the Arwing up top. It's not prominent, as it would be in a real SF game, but it also does not have that "fuzzy" out of focus look that the other background items have (photographers call it "bokeh"). Wait... Is that the Seattle Space Needle?

If you're unsure about a box art, and you're given a shot of the back, check the UPC code. Thie first one has a UPC bar code of 0 04488 17319 9. Go here: http://www.upcdatabase.com/itemform.asp and enter the code without spaces. Site says the code is invalid. A valid code that isn't in their database would return unknown, not invalid. Better proof would be if they didn't change the barcode like this person did. You'd get the title of the game whose box art they cut-up to make it.

Nintendo dosen't release teasers out of the blue with no information. If it dosen't come out of a press conference or that really tall guy's mouth then it's fake.

Case closed.

Nintendo dosen't release teasers out of the blue with no information. If it dosen't come out of a press conference or that really tall guy's mouth then it's fake.

Case closed.

True. Also, there would be advertisements at gaming stores like EB games saying, SF Wii coming out at...

The first one of those game covers was really well made, could have been really convincing at first glance if he hadn't used Assault and SSBB footage. Awesome title as well. :lol:

To recap thus far:

dmL9XywuJCE

background views of Lylat Cruise SSBB stage.

Use of SSBB and SFAs art, invalid UPC code.

Poorly compiled, unprofessional, use of SSBB and SFAs art.

Case closed.

This is a good point, too.

It isn't 100% true. I remember IGN speculating the Dinosaur Planet got turned into a Star Fox game about a week before SFAd was announced. Likely a controlled leak, but it remained at rumor status until the announcement.

But, screenshots and boxart definitely do not come without an official announcement.

True. Also, there would be advertisements at gaming stores like EB games saying, SF Wii coming out at...

Stores generally don't advertise games until they have a release date. Screens and boxart have been shown prior to store ads being sent out in the past.

i think those videos are fake becuase nintendo is to busy on making a new starfox game + if i recall right that dylan colbert guy didn't want to make a starfox wii!

When busting rumors, look for facts. "I thinks" are not facts, they're speculation.

Also, I think you're the first person to ever confuse Dylan Cuthbert withe Stephen Colbert....

When busting rumors, look for facts. "I thinks" are not facts, they're speculation.

Also, I think you're the first person to ever confuse Dylan Cuthbert withe Stephen Colbert....

your probaly right there hehehehe ty for currecting me

Guest Julius Quasar

I always wondered about a code where in the SF64 Game, there was a rumor you could enter a code where you could unlock the ability to pilot the Great Fox in that game.  What say you guys about this?

Case closed.

Actually that's not true. For instance, the correct cover art for Super Smash Bros. Brawl was either leaked or released with no information with it (just the image). We were able to correctly call it genuine because it did not reuse assets and a few other things.

Guest FoXXX

I always wondered about a code where in the SF64 Game, there was a rumor you could enter a code where you could unlock the ability to pilot the Great Fox in that game.  What say you guys about this?

I heard about someone saying you can fly the GF in SF64, don't know much about it though :(

Damn, that StarFox Online looks awesome, too bad it's fake :x

yeah why would fox be blue?

@topic there is no starfox coming out period.....................................................................

@topic there is no starfox coming out period.....................................................................

Not necessarily, Matt. Nintendo reserved the rights to the Star Fox official website, it still redirects to Nintendo's website, but the fact that they have put forth the time and money to reserve the website is a strong indicator that something is in the works for Star Fox. I can not find the evidence for this however, besides a wikipedia article, but I am sure our more computer savvy members can come up with something.

Guest FoXXX

You can't be so sure lol

I have doubts. The model size of Great Fox is huge compared to the Arwing. While I'm sure with enough hacking you could probably load that model as the player's ship, it isn't practical by any means due to the model's sheer size. It would fill the screen.

Guest Julius Quasar

I have doubts. The model size of Great Fox is huge compared to the Arwing. While I'm sure with enough hacking you could probably load that model as the player's ship, it isn't practical by any means due to the model's sheer size. It would fill the screen.

Yeah, or you'd be stuck in first person P.O.V. mode only, during missions.

Yeah, or you'd be stuck in first person P.O.V. mode only, during missions.

That's not how a model replacement works. For that, you'd need to add code to the program instead of changing which model is loaded.