Which one of the SF characters species would you prefer as a pet?

Asper Sarnoff

Which one of the SF characters species would you prefer as a pet?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of the SF characters species would you prefer as a pet?

• Fox McCloud (Red fox)
    • Falco Lombardi (Hunting falcon)
    • Peppy Hare (Hare)
    • Slippy Toad (Frog)
    • Krystal (Arctic Fox*)
    • Wolf O'Donnell (Alaskan Malamute*)
    • Leon Powalski (Chameleon)
    • Panther Caruso (Black cat*)
    • Bill Grey(Bulldog)
    • Katt Monroe (Gray cat)

Silly idea I had to get out of my head.

Imagine for a second, that the Starfox characters was totally "animalized" back to a fully animal form, which one of them would you rather have as a pet?

They'd behave mostly like the average for their species, but would retain a couple of character traiths from their anthro versions. The fox named "Fox" would for example be the adventurous and gutsy type, the hare named "Peppy" would have a strange affiction for rolling around on the grass, and the Alaskan Malamute named "Wolf" would be very territorial, and protective of its owner.

*I changed Wolfs and Panthers races into their closest usually domesticated relatives. While it is possible to bond with both wolfs and large cats, I would strongly advice against it unless you were professional.

Since there is nothing like a blue fox, the closest would be some shades of gray, I picked one of the more exotic varieties of foxes as Krystals race. While I doubt an artic fox would be easy to domesticate, imagine for a second that it is.

Red Fox, I totally want one, just the fact that it's a "Red fox" is a problem...

*Cough Slippy Toad is not a frog cough*

*Cough Slippy Toad is not a frog cough*

Details. I've never bothered much about Slippy really, and since frogs are smaller and wimpier than a toad, I went for that this time, contrary to what his last name would suggest.

Haha! Alright, no warts for the people who want a frog then... Even if the fact that toads give warts isn't true.

i think I'll choose the arctic fox, even if they can be hard to train is not an impossible mission. (besides, i love foxes, especially the arctic fox and the Fennec Fox)

Then I think the arctic fox would be perfect for me.

If it existed, I would prefer a Blue Fox

(which I think Krystal´s species to be,

althrough they do not exist...).

The Artic Fox is cool, but I think that

nothing beats the "classic" Red Fox.

Guest Julius Quasar

If it existed, I would prefer a Blue Fox

(which I think Krystal´s species to be,

althrough they do not exist...).

The Artic Fox is cool, but I think that

nothing beats the "classic" Red Fox.

^ Right on!  I agree!

MALAMUTES FTW!!! id love an actual wolf, but those things are next to impossible to domesticate...

they dont think like a dog, they think like a wolf, hence the seperate species

dog (aka malamutes)=Canis lupus familiaris

wolf=Canis lupus

the genus is the same, but the species is different... therefore the animals are different

to further clarify, wolves think on instinct, they imitate the pack leader and work as a group, mimicking a sort of heirarchy, humans are not wolves, so the wolf is like "WTF" when you try and tell it to do something so it takes over as pack leader and feels no remorse in doing whatever the hell it wants (ie ignoring stoopid hooman :D )..

dogs are more domesticated, responding to commands led by their instincts through internal breeding.. since dogs have existed with mankind for centuries, its grown in them to respond to said commands after proper training, of course since there still in the same genus, they feel a sense of pack leadership (watch the dog whisperer and you already know that! XD ).

wolfdogs are nice, but they still retain the primitive, undomesticated wolf behavior. its better to have a wolfdog as well as several other dogs so that the wolfdog can keep his pack mentality, but you still get the dog in him, while it may be difficult, with patience, he will respond to his name and know when dinner is ready.. but i dont know about making him do tricks. also it tends to keep the dog side of him that is a little less.... shall we say.... voracious?

have you ever seen a wolfdog in pics or on youtube? THERE FREAKING HUGE!!!

OMG!! thats a big dog... if i ever start renting an apartment... no way i could take him with me :(

My family actually used to have a pet white wolf, 95% wolf to be exact, and he was mostly tame, but we had to get rid of him since he became a cat killer when we moved out to California (weren't many outdoor cats in the Kentucky and Texan wilderness). Anyway, as fun and cool as he was, I'd have to go with a fox, Krystal to be exact.

Also, not to seem nitpicky or anything, just tossing this out, but a Tamaskan dog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamaskan) might be a better comparison to Wolf, since they are bred to look like wolves.

have you ever seen a wolfdog in pics or on youtube? THERE FREAKING HUGE!!!

OMG!! thats a big dog... if i ever start renting an apartment... no way i could take him with me :(

I've meet a wolfdog on several ocasions. It's a cool dog, but not exactly easy to live with.

The size isn't as overwhelming for me. We've allways had Bernese Mountaindogs in our family, and those aren't exactly small. The female we have now weight about 50 kg, and her older brother, we still retain contact with the owner, is about 70 kg.

I'll probably end up with my own dog once I move out and settle down elsewhere, and both Newfoundlands, Landseers, Great Pyrinean and Irish Wolfhound are under consideration.

Also, not to seem nitpicky or anything, just tossing this out, but a Tamaskan dog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamaskan) might be a better comparison to Wolf, since they are bred to look like wolves.

While they look like wolfes, the older dog races such as the Malamute, which is the oldest race by far, have a temper far more similar to that of a wolf than the Tamaskan, which is a fairly new race. That is why I picked that instead.

I see, makes sense.

I don't know much about animals/pets, but if I had one, I would probably get an arctic fox. Either that, or a wolf.

@x-gamer, im really into biology since im a sci-fi nerd, and seeing as my nickname is CR4CK3RW0LF youd be shocked if i didnt know about wolves!

@vydrach, AWWW!! hes so cool!! ill consider it, seeing as its more of a dog and not a wolf.

@asper, yeah ive done a bit of research.. well a LOT of research on wolfdogs via the internet and youtube, ive seen some great wolfdogs, i googled the mountaindog and he is ADORABLE XD, but yeah i can see the size similarity, its just that i used to have a yellow labrador and he never got THAT big.. unfortuantely he was short lived, at five years he got hit by a car.... it was really traumatizing for me since i watched it happen :(

its been 4 years now, so ive made my peace.. but the thought of getting a new dog has crossed my mind a few times and i feel that i think i would get a rhodesian ridgeback if i was to get a new dog, i would call him Nanaki and i would dress him up as RED13 from final fantasy 7!

back to the wolfdogs though, they are great companions, not pets. i remember hearing that from a site i visited, if you really want a great companion and you care and open up to him, he will respond to that, but if you treat him like a common dog or house pet, youll be sorely dissapointed when he doesnt like to be teathered in the backyard 0_0

I'd take a Fox, no question about it (maybe if you put a rabbit and fox together they will attempt maneuvers! (barrel rolling, somersaults, u-turns, etc) :D

Wolf O'Donnell, the Alaskan Malamute. I like how loyal dogs can be, and I think that Wolf wouldn't be a drooling idiot of a dog who follows it's master all over. A strong, proud, noble canine... yes.

@asper, yeah ive done a bit of research.. well a LOT of research on wolfdogs via the internet and youtube, ive seen some great wolfdogs, i googled the mountaindog and he is ADORABLE XD, but yeah i can see the size similarity, its just that i used to have a yellow labrador and he never got THAT big.. unfortuantely he was short lived, at five years he got hit by a car.... it was really traumatizing for me since i watched it happen :(

its been 4 years now, so ive made my peace.. but the thought of getting a new dog has crossed my mind a few times and i feel that i think i would get a rhodesian ridgeback if i was to get a new dog, i would call him Nanaki and i would dress him up as RED13 from final fantasy 7!

back to the wolfdogs though, they are great companions, not pets. i remember hearing that from a site i visited, if you really want a great companion and you care and open up to him, he will respond to that, but if you treat him like a common dog or house pet, youll be sorely dissapointed when he doesnt like to be teathered in the backyard 0_0

I know how you feel. The one we've got now is the fifth Bernese mountaindog my mother has had over the years, and it's not more than five years ago since we lost the two last. Both from cancer.

This species have a fairly short lifespan unfortunatly, like most large dogs in fact, but they are great family dogs.

A wolfdog could be something to consider when I move out. Unfortunatly, problems WILL arise as soon as it meets someone outside "the pack".

Wolf O'Donnell, the Alaskan Malamute. I like how loyal dogs can be, and I think that Wolf wouldn't be a drooling idiot of a dog who follows it's master all over. A strong, proud, noble canine... yes.

That's probably the reason why I'd pick him as well. I'm a dog person, and I like my dogs to be more like a loyal companion than a cuddly pet.

@asper, i like to have both sides, i wants an awesome dog that is silly and great, but is a loyal companion when i need him.

and yes, that mustve been hard. i sympathise for ya...

lol yeah... from a BIP-BIP BIP-BIP

to a... WOAH! HELP ME!!

to a Thanks Fox, I thought i was a goner!

I LOVED THE DAYS OF GENDER CONFUSION!!

Having a Star Fox character as a pet would be creepy...or creepily kinky.  If they're sentient I'd rather just treat them like ordinary people. XD

Having a Star Fox character as a pet would be creepy...or creepily kinky.  If they're sentient I'd rather just treat them like ordinary people. XD

Not really sentient. Ordinary animals that happen to obey by the name of their SF equivelant.

Well, then I should let everyone know that red foxes cannot be domesticated by humans - they're too cunning and opportunistic. X3

I've pointed that out on several ocasions as well. But most people seemingly chose to ignore it when shown a picture of a small, cute fuzzball and asked if they would like it as a pet. :lol:

They can be domesticated to certain deegre however. The daughter on our neighbours farm, previously a fur farm, held foxes as pets on several occasions.