is it just me

Guest krystal08

In answer to "How did Rare do that?!"

The answer is partially "They use C." For those of you who don't know, C is a relatively old language, and quite dated by today's standard. But it forms the bases for MOST of today's most popular languages. When designing it, if the language creators had to choose between making something safe or making something fast, they chose to make it fast. As a result, a good C program is VERY fast, about the fastest you can achieve with a high-level language.

This is meaningful because Rare uses C, apparently, for all their games. Or at least they used to, according to my game professor. This is ridiculous, because it makes building games pretty hard. I imagine though that they have specialized tools just for working in C that help them out. With a good knowledge of C and lots of tools, they were able to squeeze much more out of the hardware than other game developers.

I accidentally tore the front cover to my C++ book a week ago. Those things are like 12 years old! My school is cheapĀ  :x

whoo.... you lost me a while back... *try figuring what's all that* damn, too pros for me guys -_-'

ditto... :oops:

Nothing like when two programmers have an discussion. It's best to try and understand them when you are drunk. Everything seems a lot more explanatory then :P

But I agree with FoXXX's point about Fox looking his best in Adventures. He looks like the best cross between human and fox and is the most believable. He has become too cartoony in looks since then in my opinion, Command being his darkest hour. I mean, could you see Fox in Assault form taking down MuscleFoot with his skinny arms and legs?

As for his fur, I remember hearing about how they developed Sully's fur in Monster's Inc. in that they had to create each individual hair and monitor how it reacted. That took a long time to develop and a lot of computer power. Personally, I would rather have Fox's fur from Adventures on a model than the painted on fur in Assault.

I also remember hearing Rare were only going to animate his fur in the cutscenes and just have the painted on effect for game play in order to keep the frame rate running smoothly but as we all know, they ironed that problem out. The only time I've seen the game stutter is when it's raining in Thorntail Hollow.

Aww come on guys! Everything I said was simple. I didn't even get into HOW the fur was rendered. They used some kind of flow map to influence maybe six or seven offset layers of textures, each with slightly smaller areas of non-alpha. This created the illusion of fur (and grass), but if you look at it edge on, you can see what happened. Though, if it's truly edge on (contours), they could replace it with an edge texture made up of geographtals.

Guest krystal08

Aww come on guys! Everything I said was simple. I didn't even get into HOW the fur was rendered.

Hey, for a guy like me who tried to understand what the hell ''pregnant'' mean...talking about C and C++ and stuff...damn! i mean, i'm still learning english so, their's a fat chance i'm not going to understand a thing about anything someone said....

Aww come on guys! Everything I said was simple. I didn't even get into HOW the fur was rendered. They used some kind of flow map to influence maybe six or seven offset layers of textures, each with slightly smaller areas of non-alpha. This created the illusion of fur (and grass), but if you look at it edge on, you can see what happened. Though, if it's truly edge on (contours), they could replace it with an edge texture made up of geographtals.

Whoa... where the heck did you get that info X_x

But.. that kind of makes sense, although I'm not so much into technical/programmable aspects of 3D... just give me my NURBs controllers and I'm happy XD