• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LoneWolf

• Dublinthefox

• Deploy

• Vulvokunvrii

This frakking anime...I can't put it down >:( 

Ost isn't too bad either

I can't put this down, I've listened to it over ten times already...

By the way, Stained Class wasn't really "restrained material" back in the day it was released! Don't forget you got Exciter as the opener.
But I'd like to see Priest try something a bit different. It is time to let Painkiller go away and do something with Halford's mid-voice instead of exposing his now-weaker high range.

Oh, yeah, Stained Class isn't restrained in general terms, but I think you know what I mean. I can actually relax to Stained Class, whilst Painkiller era music demands you full attention.

There was that Nostradamus album a few years back, but it really didn't pan out well for them. That was probably the closest we'd see of them trying something remotely new. The last album is generally good, but they're indeed playing it safe and presumably will continue to do so. *shrugs*

I don't know if you're one to ask, but I also got into Ozzy Obsbourne's 'No More Tears' around the same time. Do you know anything similar to that?

Also, something completely different. I've been getting into The Police again:

• Like 1

This is another tune I feel reflects the sound of the music I'd like to hear in the next Star Fox game.

Oh, yeah, Stained Class isn't restrained in general terms, but I think you know what I mean. I can actually relax to Stained Class, whilst Painkiller era music demands you full attention.

There was that Nostradamus album a few years back, but it really didn't pan out well for them. That was probably the closest we'd see of them trying something remotely new. The last album is generally good, but they're indeed playing it safe and presumably will continue to do so. *shrugs*

I don't know if you're one to ask, but I also got into Ozzy Obsbourne's 'No More Tears' around the same time. Do you know anything similar to that?

Nostradamus had some ideas, but the whole "orchestra" thing felt mostly flat. Still has some great tunes, but all those interludes kinda harms the overall record.
Redeemer doesn't have a lot of new ideas, and some songs are outright bad (Metalizer comes to mind)

No More Tears is probably Ozzy's best record as a solo artist! If you want something similar, I guess you could check what Zack Wylde (the guitarist on Ozzy's album) did on his own (with his band Black Label Society). You can also check the first solo records of Ozzy (Blizzard of Ozz is a great record of the 80's as well) but it'll be less melodic.

• Like 1

Workin on a cover of this, so been listening to it a lot.

Was never a huuuuge fan of the Genesis sound, but I like the SoR music in general.

• Like 1

Nostradamus had some ideas, but the whole "orchestra" thing felt mostly flat. Still has some great tunes, but all those interludes kinda harms the overall record.
Redeemer doesn't have a lot of new ideas, and some songs are outright bad (Metalizer comes to mind)

No More Tears is probably Ozzy's best record as a solo artist! If you want something similar, I guess you could check what Zack Wylde (the guitarist on Ozzy's album) did on his own (with his band Black Label Society). You can also check the first solo records of Ozzy (Blizzard of Ozz is a great record of the 80's as well) but it'll be less melodic.

Cool, thanks. I'll check those out.

In the meantime, I've been getting into Killing Machines and Britsh Steel. I think I prefer Killing Machines a little more though, despite the popular opinion of the latter being the superior album.

I've tried Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin after Sin too, but I've not been able to get into either yet.

• Like 1

love it man thx

Cool, thanks. I'll check those out.

In the meantime, I've been getting into Killing Machines and Britsh Steel. I think I prefer Killing Machines a little more though, despite the popular opinion of the latter being the superior album.

I've tried Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin after Sin too, but I've not been able to get into either yet.

I personnaly think Killing Machine has too much filler stuff. Evening Star isn't good, and it lacks the consistency British Steel has. But to each their own favorite I guess ;)

Sad Wings sound a bit too old for me now, despite the terrific songs in it! Victim of changes, The ripper, Genocide, Tyrant, all classics in my book!
Sin after Sin has a better sound, with Dissident Agressor sounding almost like a "modern" song. Overall, two great records (and two classics of the Priest), even if I'd put Sin after Sin above for the Superior sound.

----------------------

As for the Hellyeah song, it really isn't my cup of tea.

• Like 1

I personnaly think Killing Machine has too much filler stuff. Evening Star isn't good, and it lacks the consistency British Steel has. But to each their own favorite I guess ;)

Sad Wings sound a bit too old for me now, despite the terrific songs in it! Victim of changes, The ripper, Genocide, Tyrant, all classics in my book!
Sin after Sin has a better sound, with Dissident Agressor sounding almost like a "modern" song. Overall, two great records (and two classics of the Priest), even if I'd put Sin after Sin above for the Superior sound.

----------------------

As for the Hellyeah song, it really isn't my cup of tea.

Ironically, Evening Star is the highlight for Killing Machine for me. But I'll admit to filler. Then again, just about all Judas records have their fair share of filler, so it seems. Another band falling victing to the insistence that having too many songs makes it better by default. Still, they're not as bad as The Offspring on that department. But I digress.

I have to admit to caring more about melody than anything else. Also, as I grew up on more pop rock music (90's Britpop to be precise) I can bare songs such as Evening Star. For me, British Steel feels a little lacking. Like there's at least one instrument missing in a number of its songs. But, yeah, the first half of Steel is certainly grand.

Ironically, Evening Star is the highlight for Killing Machine for me. But I'll admit to filler. Then again, just about all Judas records have their fair share of filler, so it seems. Another band falling victing to the insistence that having too many songs makes it better by default. Still, they're not as bad as The Offspring on that department. But I digress.

I have to admit to caring more about melody than anything else. Also, as I grew up on more pop rock music (90's Britpop to be precise) I can bare songs such as Evening Star. For me, British Steel feels a little lacking. Like there's at least one instrument missing in a number of its songs. But, yeah, the first half of Steel is certainly grand.

Well, for me there is no filler in Defender of the Faith, Painkiller or Stained Class. Then again, that's how I feel, and I know some people would find fillers in those albums as well ^^
To be honest, I think Priest hasn't fell too much in the good old "let's fill this record to its maximum with 16 songs to make it better", unless we're talking about the last two records. They certainly are better than Metallica or Maiden in this regards, as far as I'm concerned.

I can see why you feel that way about British Steel. It is a more stripped-down sound, with more "direct" songs.

• Like 1

Well, for me there is no filler in Defender of the Faith, Painkiller or Stained Class. Then again, that's how I feel, and I know some people would find fillers in those albums as well ^^
To be honest, I think Priest hasn't fell too much in the good old "let's fill this record to its maximum with 16 songs to make it better", unless we're talking about the last two records. They certainly are better than Metallica or Maiden in this regards, as far as I'm concerned.

I can see why you feel that way about British Steel. It is a more stripped-down sound, with more "direct" songs.

Yeah, I agree. No filler in Defenders or Stained. I'm a little upset that some consider 'Night Comes Down' as filler. It's the perfect song after some 7 or 8 mainly ballistic ballads. And catchy to boot. One of my favs on that album. I used to think 'Heroes End' was a filler track, but it eventually grew on me. Not as memorable as others on the album, but I can happily listen to it.

I've not put enough time into Painkiller yet. I'm usually tired by the 3rd or 4th song. Not because they're bad, but because they're so heavy and it drains my energy listening for more than 15 minutes!

I need to find a decent racing game to play that whole album alongside. Someone needs to release a good biker game on the Nintendo Switch!

Yeah, I agree. No filler in Defenders or Stained. I'm a little upset that some consider 'Night Comes Down' as filler. It's the perfect song after some 7 or 8 mainly ballistic ballads. And catchy to boot. One of my favs on that album. I used to think 'Heroes End' was a filler track, but it eventually grew on me. Not as memorable as others on the album, but I can happily listen to it.

I've not put enough time into Painkiller yet. I'm usually tired by the 3rd or 4th song. Not because they're bad, but because they're so heavy and it drains my energy listening for more than 15 minutes!

I need to find a decent racing game to play that whole album alongside. Someone needs to release a good biker game on the Nintendo Switch!

Yeah, if you had to find a "filler" in Defenders, you'd probably have to pick the title track that gets really repetitive. But I think it works well as a last song.

I can see why you have some trouble with Painkiller. It is, personnally, the album I listen to whenever I feel down or something like this. Or working out, it works well too :)

Has there ever been a good biker game since the 90s?

• Like 1

Best track on the SNES, hands down. ^_^ 

A bit of a throwback :)

I've gotten into electro-swing:

Edited by Vy'drach
Is a tad adult, not enough to be gone imo, but enough to warrant a bit of a warning before casual viewing.

Yeah, if you had to find a "filler" in Defenders, you'd probably have to pick the title track that gets really repetitive. But I think it works well as a last song.

I can see why you have some trouble with Painkiller. It is, personnally, the album I listen to whenever I feel down or something like this. Or working out, it works well too :)

Has there ever been a good biker game since the 90s?

Agreed, Defenders is a tad repetitive. I wouldn't listen to it by itself but, like you, when listening to the entire album as a whole, I think it works great as a closing track.

Well, in the meantime, I've listened to British Steel a little more and I've warmed up to it. I think the first half shines the most, but then I find that the case with a lot of their albums.

Fav track on Steel is 'Metal Gods', 'Breaking the Law' and 'You don't have to be...'

Well, if you're not already sick of talking about them, fancy listing your top 10 fav Judas songs?

I guess mine, in no particular order (baring in mind I've yet to give enough time to all of their albums so far).

1.) Freewheel Burning (absolute fav)

2.) Heads are Gonna Roll

3.) Metal Gods

4.) Turbo Lover

5.) The Hellion / Electric Eye

6.) Take These Chains

7.) Stained Class

8.) Night Comes Down

9.) Exciter

10.) Rock Hard, Ride Free

Not many original songs, I know, but I'm a sucker for catchy melody.

Also, by the way, have you seen his video? A great watch--

Agreed, Defenders is a tad repetitive. I wouldn't listen to it by itself but, like you, when listening to the entire album as a whole, I think it works great as a closing track.

Well, in the meantime, I've listened to British Steel a little more and I've warmed up to it. I think the first half shines the most, but then I find that the case with a lot of their albums.

Fav track on Steel is 'Metal Gods', 'Breaking the Law' and 'You don't have to be...'

Yep, I think most Priest records have a better first half, especially since the 80s. British Steel, Screaming, Defenders, among others, have a better first half than the second one.

I'm glad you like "You don't have to be old to be wise". I think it's a fun, well-written song that doesn't get enough credits.

Well, if you're not already sick of talking about them, fancy listing your top 10 fav Judas songs?

I'm never sick of talking about Priest, after all, that's my (almost) number one favorite band of all time! (with Queen, I don't know which band to pick as a true favorite) :D

Now, making a top 10, that's a hard question. There's too many of them that I like! Here's a list, but if you ask me the same question in a couple of month, I guess half of the top wouldn't be the same.

1) The Sentinel
2) Victim of Changes
3) Beyond the Realms of Death
4) Painkiller
5) Exciter
6) Breaking the Law
7) Sinner
8) Freewheel Burning
9) Hellion/Electric Eye
10) Dissident Aggressor

I think it would be easier for me to list my top 2 or top 3 songs of each records than to make a top 10 of the whole Priest career :p

That being said, I find it interesting to see a song like "Take These Chains" (which the band thought would be the big commercial success of Screaming for Vengeance instead of You've got another thing Comin') in your top, as I think it isn't a really great song. But then again, you liked Evening Star and I don't, so it's kinda logical! :)

Thanks for the documentary, I never watched it but I'll probably do that today.

• Like 1

1) The Sentinel
2) Victim of Changes
3) Beyond the Realms of Death
4) Painkiller
5) Exciter
6) Breaking the Law
7) Sinner
8) Freewheel Burning
9) Hellion/Electric Eye
10) Dissident Aggressor

I think it would be easier for me to list my top 2 or top 3 songs of each records than to make a top 10 of the whole Priest career :p

That being said, I find it interesting to see a song like "Take These Chains" (which the band thought would be the big commercial success of Screaming for Vengeance instead of You've got another thing Comin') in your top, as I think it isn't a really great song. But then again, you liked Evening Star and I don't, so it's kinda logical! :)

Thanks for the documentary, I never watched it but I'll probably do that today.

You could certainly list your top 3 of each album if you want to. Indeed, Judas are quickly becoming a fav band of mine.

I believe "Chains" was one of the few songs by Priest not to have been written by any members of the band. I like songs like that and Evening Star due to my love of other kinds of music, and that I appreciate light breaks between heavy songs every now and then (hence why "Night Comes Down" is on my list too).

Dissident Aggressor is definitely a top song. It could end up in my top 10 at a later date if I listen to it enough. I need to listen to that album a little more on the whole I think.

Speaking of "Another Thing Comin'", I initially didn't think much of that song, but it very much grew on me over the space of a few weeks. The main guitar riff was stuck in my head all day yesterday.

I also love the older videos of Priest that see Rob full of confidence, if not in an empowered state; something that the vid for "Got Another..." pulls off really well (as do the lyrics).

Well, now that Queen have been brought into the mix too (another band I listen to on occassion), I'd like to take this moment to ask if you know of 'The Darkness' and, if so, what you think of them?

I actually got into Judas Priest after hearing some of The Darkness' heavier, darker stuff, and wanting to find more music like that. Most people know The Darkness for their signature song "I believe in a Thing Called Love', but their latest album, 'Last of Our Kind', is an eclectic mix of influences, including Queen and even Spinal Tap. Here are links to 3 of their songs from the album:

Open Fire (first single. Justin Hawkin's voice is very different here).

Last of Our Kind (Many note a Queen vibe in this song)

Mighty Wings (the song that had me seek some heavier music hence how I eventually found Priest) Hints of Queen here too.

• Like 1