Official Starfox online Steam Group.

Scott7

So, is there any real interest in a TF2 server?

Before I start exploring options, I want to know if it will even be used.

EDIT: actually, a poll thread would be more helpful

On a side note, Pointingman, are you the same ThePointingMan who was dominating the ever-loving shit out of me as a heavy the No Heroes 2fort server yesterday? I felt like this: :collapse: :P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott7

• DZComposer

• Kursed

• Mr. Foxer

I have Steam now since it was released on Mac, and I will most definitely get TF2 once it is released for Mac.

Speaking of Steam, one of the videos Valve released on Steam says Half-Life 2 comes out 5-26-2010. That's today, though I haven't seen it on Steam just yet.

I have Steam now since it was released on Mac, and I will most definitely get TF2 once it is released for Mac.

Speaking of Steam, one of the videos Valve released on Steam says Half-Life 2 comes out 5-26-2010. That's today, though I haven't seen it on Steam just yet.

No, it's there.

On a side note, Pointingman, are you the same ThePointingMan who was dominating the ever-loving shit out of me as a heavy the No Heroes 2fort server yesterday? I felt like this: :collapse::P

Haha! Yup, that was me! :D Also Vydrach was there.

And a definate interest in a TF2 server.

On a side note, Pointingman, are you the same ThePointingMan who was dominating the ever-loving shit out of me as a heavy the No Heroes 2fort server yesterday? I felt like this: :collapse::P

Haha! Yup, that was me! :D Also Vydrach was there.

And a definate interest in a TF2 server.

He he, Point and I pull out Heavy/Medic a lot (Me being the Medic, with my awesome female Medic skin).

• Owner/Technical Admin

I support this idea. Enough that we can discuss making it an official SFO Steam group.

I have some ideas for a TF2 server, but not on how to pay for one.

Yeah, I know the dedicated server software comes with it, but it is best to run it on a network with a business-class connection. Less lag that way. Going-rate for game servers tends to be >$20/month. We could probably throw a HLStatsX CE front-end on our dreamhost server, but to run a TF2 server though the SFO hosting, I'd need to upgrade to a VPS account, which is not cheap. A VPS (Virtualized server, basically our own OS install on a shared server using something like VMWare) with 522megs of RAM costs about the same as an average game server and it would also have to run our site software.

A fully dedicated server (an actual, physical, computer) from DH would cost us $70/mo.

Through my EscapedTurkey account I have the ability to run TF2. I just picked up the Orange Box too.  :oops:

It wouldn't cost you anything at all, I would take care of everything. If you wanted to tweak the server, tell me what to do.

Thanks for the offer. I think that is a great way to start out and see if this idea works.  Though if it catches on, I'll probably get an ET account for SFO so we can have a 24/7 server without stepping on your original use for yours.

While we'll have vanilla gameplay, I have some ideas for mods that I do not want to burden you with installing and configuring. (IE: Round win: Slippy: "Yipee! You Did it!"; Round lose: Pigma: "I've got 2 words for you: LO-SER!"; Stalemate: Wolf: "No way! I don't believe it!"; custom quake sounds [iE "You're good, but I'm better!" if someone hits a certian kill streak]; and some scripts to ease kick/ban/mute/gag)

• Owner/Technical Admin

Thanks for the offer. I think that is a great way to start out and see if this idea works.  Though if it catches on, I'll probably get an ET account for SFO so we can have a 24/7 server without stepping on your original use for yours.

While we'll have vanilla gameplay, I have some ideas for mods that I do not want to burden you with installing and configuring. (IE: Round win: Slippy: "Yipee! You Did it!"; Round lose: Pigma: "I've got 2 words for you: LO-SER!"; Stalemate: Wolf: "No way! I don't believe it!"; custom quake sounds [iE "You're good, but I'm better!" if someone hits a certian kill streak]; and some scripts to ease kick/ban/mute/gag)

My server is unused as it is - consider it a test run before you make your decision to use Escaped Turkey..

Please god no sounds, custom sounds will certainly discourage anyone joining the server.

Actually, I have seen Counter Strike servers that are popular because of the sounds. Like if there are 2 people left alive (1v1), it asks if you want to knife fight, if both accept, it plays some kickin techno music, and if no one kills the other in 25 seconds, it would kill one or both of the people (depending on the situation), and make a chicken clucking sound. When someone wins, it plays random music from techno to rap, and when someone gets knifed, it plays the "HUMILIATION!" sound.

Actually, I have seen Counter Strike servers that are popular because of the sounds. Like if there are 2 people left alive (1v1), it asks if you want to knife fight, if both accept, it plays some kickin techno music, and if no one kills the other in 25 seconds, it would kill one or both of the people (depending on the situation), and make a chicken clucking sound. When someone wins, it plays random music from techno to rap, and when someone gets knifed, it plays the "HUMILIATION!" sound.

Yeah and suprisingly enough, no one wants to hear "HUMILATION" everytime they get a knife kill. Music is even worse.

That's being general, you may not like it, but all the people on those servers found it hilarious, and the music was awesome (Only reason I really liked the knife fights).

Yeah well I'm positive the only people who will or would enjoy those sounds (on our yet to be hosted? TF2 server) would be the members.

Please god no sounds, custom sounds will certainly discourage anyone joining the server.

I beg to differ. I currently play on the No Heroes network. All of their servers have sounds, and all of them stay full.

Plus, if you don't like them, typing !quake into the chat gives you an option to disable them.

Though one thing I didn't like is the "HUMILIATION" every knife kill and "HEADSHOT" every time a sniper gets one. Those would be left out. Unless there is a way to make it only happen on spy facestabs.

I beg to differ. I currently play on the No Heroes network. All of their servers have sounds, and all of them stay full.

Plus, if you don't like them, typing !quake into the chat gives you an option to disable them.

Though one thing I didn't like is the "HUMILIATION" every knife kill and "HEADSHOT" every time a sniper gets one. Those would be left out. Unless there is a way to make it only happen on spy facestabs.

Only thing that really makes that annoying is that it does it for everyone, should be for the people involved only.

So it's you! The one guy on the whole internet who likes custom sounds. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...