SNES Help

OneUnder

I was actually thinking of picking up a SNES sometime soon, and was wondering if anyone out there has any tips whatsoever on how to stop/get rid of the yellowing that these things are notorious for.  Thanks :D

Tip: Don't leave it pluged whenyou're not playing it. That's how my Garmma's broke Old systems go hay-wire these days

I wouldn't know how to help ya dude. I have 2 SNES's and they're in perfect condition.

I wouldn't know how to help ya dude. I have 2 SNES's and they're in perfect condition.

I've had one since 1991 and I haven't had any of this yellowing that is being referred to. :/

is there a specific part in the SNES that is yellowing as you said?

is there a specific part in the SNES that is yellowing as you said?

Many of the cheaper ones on Ebay, and many that I've personally seen look like the one on the right

snesyellow.jpg

I just wanted to know if there was a way to reverse the chemical reaction, or just go for a more costly one that isn't yellowed to hell yet :D

Just keep your SNES on an average temperature room, remove any cartridges after playing, and clean it regularly.

This is the best I can tell you, mate.

Just keep your SNES on an average temperature room, remove any cartridges after playing, and clean it regularly.

This is the best I can tell you, mate.

Many of the cheaper ones on Ebay, and many that I've personally seen look like the one on the right

I just wanted to know if there was a way to reverse the chemical reaction, or just go for a more costly one that isn't yellowed to hell yet :D

To remove yellowing from old computers or other gray/white plastic things, you need to mix up some retr0bright:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Using+Retr0Bright

MAKE SURE TO WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND GLOVES WHEN MIXING AND HANDLING THIS STUFF! An Apron wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I haven't ever had a case to use it myself, but a buddy of mine who has some old computers says it works.

Note that you WILL have to disassemble the console to do this.

That is something that could help!!

...but I wouldn't do that ever...

If ever i disassemble a console, a device, or a computer...

.... it takes me long, very long hours before I can finally assemble it back...

.... the worse thing...

.... I'm not sure if it still works..

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Apart from cosmetic, does the yellowing of a SNES harm it, its functionality, or its games in any way?

Apart from cosmetic, does the yellowing of a SNES harm it, its functionality, or its games in any way?

When it begins to yellow, the plastic begins to get UBER BRITTLE! A small ding on a rail or something can leave lasting damage.  But, the yellowing is mostly cosmetic, it just looks horrid next to some of the other consoles on the shelf :D

To remove yellowing from old computers or other gray/white plastic things, you need to mix up some retr0bright:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Using+Retr0Bright

MAKE SURE TO WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND GLOVES WHEN MIXING AND HANDLING THIS STUFF! An Apron wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I haven't ever had a case to use it myself, but a buddy of mine who has some old computers says it works.

Note that you WILL have to disassemble the console to do this.

Thanks a bunch DZ! I gotta try that sometime :D