Star Fox - The New Voyages book one: earth

Star_Dragon

This book was the result of boredom, too many RC colas, and watching STVOY Ep. 151 & 152 too many times. What did I do? Put Star Fox in the same predicament Voyager was in. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Star Fox - The New Voyages, Book One: Earth.

Star Fox:

The New Voyages

Book One: Earth

Prologue

Time: 1635 Hours

“Scan it again.” Fox said.

“I already did,” Slippy responded. “Like the last hundred times, there’s nothing out here.” Fox’s hand curled into a fist, and for a moment, he felt the urge to slam it into something. He relaxed, surprised at his frayed temper. He’d been exhausted in the past – and without a doubt, the fight against the Aparoids had been the most harrowing of his career – but he’d never been prone to such outbursts.

The struggle against the Aparoids must’ve gotten to him more than he realized.

With effort, he banished them from his mind. Either there would be time to deal with it later... or there wouldn’t. Worrying about it now served no useful purpose.

“Scan the field again.” Fox ordered. Slippy grumbled, notably irritated with Fox’s request. “Look, slip, if we don’t find something we can use, we’re dead. These ships have no FTL drives and no cryo. There’s no way to get back to Corneria and deliver the news. Power, fuel, air, and the food and water that’s on Peppy’s ship – we only have enough to last a few hours.

“So,” Fox concluded as patiently as possible, “Scan. Again.” Slippy sighed explosively.

“Fox,” Krystal said, “Go easy on him. He’s had a rough time.”

“She’s right, Fox,” Peppy put in. “We’ve all had a rough time out here. We all need to rest, regroup--”

“Peppy, where do you suggest we rest?” Fox cut in. “There’s no habitable planets within light-years of this place, and even if there was, we don’t have enough fuel--”

“Hold on, Fox—I’m getting something,” Slippy chimed in. “Tachyon emissions... faint, but growing stronger.”

“I’m getting them, too,” Peppy added. “I think it’s a...” Before Peppy could finish his sentence, a bright blue shimmer appeared, swirled, and darkened slightly. “...Temporal Rift.”

Fox frowned. “Are you saying...?”

“...This is a rift in time.... and space.” Slippy finished. “The other side of that aperture is at a place in the galaxy far beyond the boundaries of the Lylat Federation.”

“How far?” Fox inquired.

“Approximately... seventy-eight thousand light-years!” Slippy stated.

“Fox, look! There’s a ship coming through!” Falco announced. The ship that came through was small, but still slightly larger than the Arwings the team was in, and it was shaped like an arrowhead.

“Fox...” Krystal murmured, “That’s no ordinary ship... that’s a Cerinian timeship!”

“Are you certain?” Fox asked.

Krystal started, “I know a Cerinian ship when I--”

Without warning, the tip of the timeship lit up, and a wide-beam Subatomic Disruptor was fired at the Arwings.

“Star Fox team, evasive maneuvers! Attack that ship!” Fox commanded. The team obeyed, and attacked the ship without hesitation. However, just seconds after the violence started, it stopped.

“Fox, I’m getting a transmission, audio and visual.” Peppy declared.

“Route it to us,” Fox responded. “All ships, cease fire.” as the Cerinian’s image appeared over the holo-panel, Fox said, “This is Fox McCloud of the Star Fox team, who are you?”

“I am Captain Skaur’daan Scott of the Cerinian timeship Aeon Flux.” the Cerinian replied. “I have come from 32nd Century New Cerinia to prevent a Temporal Explosion that destroyed New Cerinia. My mission is your destruction.” Skaur’daan leaned his face closer to the screen. “You must not resist!” he added.

“We’re going to need proof before--” Fox began.

Skaur’daan cut him off. “Debris from your Arwings was found in the aftermath of the explosion!”

“Captain--” Krystal began.

“There’s no time!” Skaur’daan exclaimed, right before he ended the transmission. The violence then resumed, but the Star Fox team was hesitant to fire.

“We have to find a way to talk this through with him!” Fox exclaimed after narrowly avoiding a Subatomic Disruptor beam.

“Fox, what if he’s telling the truth?” Krystal asked.

“I’m not going to sacrifice this team based on a ten-second conversation! I want proof!” Fox snapped. Another Subatomic Disruptor beam missed one of the Arwings.

“It doesn’t look like we’re going to get it,” Falco commented.

“All ships, return fire! Disable his weapon!” Fox commanded. Everyone attacked in unison, and, more by chance of luck than anything else, disabled the Cerinian timeship’s weapons and engines.

Unfortunately, the team’s Arwings strayed too close to the Temporal rift during the fight, and were pulled in after the Cerinian timeship, leaving Peppy to ponder the fate of his friends...

First, a ship that Krystal identifies as a Cerinian timeship appears and attacks Fox’s team. Then, they are told that they are responsible for a Temporal explosion in the 32nd century, in an area of space that Fox hadn’t even heard of. After that, a fight ensues in which Star Fox disables the timeship. Now, after the ship was disabled, it became apparent that the Subatomic Disruptor that the Aeon Flux used had bad effects even if it missed a given ship – and Captain Skaur’daan fired at least one shot at each of the team’s Arwings. After Skaur’daan’s ship was disabled, something fried the Arwings’ controls, and the team was pulled into the Temporal Rift.

I think it’s safe to say things can’t get any worse than this, Fox thought as he fiddled frantically with the controls.

The Temporal Rift deposited him and his team too close to the upper atmosphere of a planet, and the gravitational pull dragged each Arwing down. One way or the other, this was going to be a rough landing...

Time: 2145 Hours

18-year-old Kyle sipped his Vanilla Coke as he studied the Radar screen. While his Star Fox AIs were “resting,” Izanagi, Kyle’s personal AI, had been monitoring the Radar that Kyle installed on his house. When she detected something entering the upper atmosphere, she woke Kyle from his fitful sleep. Now fully awake, he tracked the metal craft down through the atmosphere. Unlike the ship the one Cerinian he found two years ago was in, these ships were Arwings. This was the Star Fox team. As much as Star Fox fans around the world would love to hear of this, Kyle knew that their presence would have very severe repercussions in Chronowerx Industries. If Jason Cross knew that the Star Fox team was here, he’d blow a fuse. He was the one who stole the Cerinian timeship from the Cerinian survivor Kyle found, Skaur’daan. He forever feared the Star Fox team’s arrival here. For whatever reason the Star Fox team was crash-landing on Earth for, Kyle planned on supporting them to take Chronowerx down.

That was the good part. The bad part was that the Arwings may not survive the journey down, and if they did, it would be hard to hide the fact that they crashed. Sure, he could just transport the Arwings to his personal underground hangar, but he hadn’t the tools to cover up the crash sites, wherever they landed. Still, it would be fun to watch the Chronowerx goons wander around in circles trying to find clues.

“Izanagi, transfer yourself to my Dragoon Rescue truck.” Kyle ordered.

“Acknowledged,” Izanagi replied. Kyle got up from his chair and grabbed his shirt, threw it on, and headed outside as his rescue truck arrived. He hopped in as the four Arwings rocketed over his house and into the rice field nearby. He followed them as they crashed, and one by one, pulled the pilots out of their ships and set a transporter device on each of the Arwings. With that out of the way, he high-tailed it to his house as the Arwings de-materialized. With any luck, the missing Arwings from the crash sites will be confusing enough to those idiots at Chronowerx...