Star Fox Adventures in High Definition

GammaRay256

OK, it's up on YouTube now:

Unfortunately, it's been reduced to 720p30 and the quality is terrible...  I guess since the original wasn't exactly, 1920x1080, it didn't trigger YouTube's 1080p mode.  Perhaps YouTube is still processing it...

OK, it's up on YouTube now:

Unfortunately, it's been reduced to 720p30 and the quality is terrible...  I guess since the original wasn't exactly, 1920x1080, it didn't trigger YouTube's 1080p mode.  Perhaps YouTube is still processing it...

Wow :shock:, thats actually pretty good. Nice work. :)

.... welp.

What can I say? Its a damn shame the GCN itself doesn't support this :(

Yeah. It's too bad YouTube didn't like the format it seems and really compressed it terribly. It's not just that it reduced it to 720p, it actually added a bunch of artifacts!

Yeah. It's too bad YouTube didn't like the format it seems and really compressed it terribly. It's not just that it reduced it to 720p, it actually added a bunch of artifacts!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the resolution... 1080 isn't divisible by 16, some transcoding programs warn of this.  The strange resolution I had didn't help either...

1080p ATSC broadcasts are actually 1920x1088 (because 1088 is divisible by 16) and the receiving TV discards the last eight lines - not sure what the engineers were thinking when 1080 vertical lines was standardized... but anyway, I think the resolution being divisible by 16 will help with compression a lot.

I recaptured in true 1280x720, so, we shouldn't have compression issues and I'll be able to keep the uncompressed master copies around for a little longer.  Later, I'll convert and start uploading them to YouTube and will also provide 720p60 links.

The maximum the Gamecube could output was 480p at 60 FPS I believe (or 480i with composite).  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think are current captures are 480i (or <=240p) at 30 FPS.  These 720p60 captures from Dolphin, from a bitrate perspective, should provide six times the content.

I don't think 1080p is really necessary at this point... I could easily, with Dolphin, capture the content in 2160p120 - but that would be way overkill and 720p60 should be more than enough for almost all practical applications.  It's higher than what the Gamecube was designed to output, and if we start going too much higher, texture quality will begin to suffer.

Besides, it still looks great in 720p60.  I'll get those links up later.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the resolution... 1080 isn't divisible by 16, some transcoding programs warn of this.  The strange resolution I had didn't help either...

1080p ATSC broadcasts are actually 1920x1088 (because 1088 is divisible by 16) and the receiving TV discards the last eight lines - not sure what the engineers were thinking when 1080 vertical lines was standardized... but anyway, I think the resolution being divisible by 16 will help with compression a lot.

I recaptured in true 1280x720, so, we shouldn't have compression issues and I'll be able to keep the uncompressed master copies around for a little longer.  Later, I'll convert and start uploading them to YouTube and will also provide 720p60 links.

The maximum the Gamecube could output was 480p at 60 FPS I believe (or 480i with composite).  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think are current captures are 480i (or <=240p) at 30 FPS.  These 720p60 captures from Dolphin, from a bitrate perspective, should provide six times the content.

I don't think 1080p is really necessary at this point... I could easily, with Dolphin, capture the content in 2160p120 - but that would be way overkill and 720p60 should be more than enough for almost all practical applications.  It's higher than what the Gamecube was designed to output, and if we start going too much higher, texture quality will begin to suffer.

Besides, it still looks great in 720p60.  I'll get those links up later.

I agree, and yes, Wii and Gamecube's max is 480p at 60 fps. You can count on one hand all the devices in the world capable of capturing 480p (as opposed to i). I've been trying to get  one of these devices for a while now, but if you can get HD quality without it, that's even better.

I've captured the first cutscenes from the game (up to the arrival at Krazoa Palace) in 720p at 60 frames per second.  I created a Mediafire folder to hold copies of the scenes at various bitrates and framerates.  They are numbered as follows:

Example: 1_720p60_16000.mp4

This is the first cutscene, in 1280x720, at 60 frames per second, with a bitrate of 16,000.

Here's the folder:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=32zyi4yn9h980

There are five cutscenes so far:

1 - A Girl Named Krystal

2 - Galleon Defeated

3 - Boarding the Galleon

4 - General Scales Confrontation

5 - Krazoa Palace

I probably won't be uploading anymore for awhile.

Each one has four different download options:

720p60_16000 - 1280x720, 60 frames per second, bitrate of 16,000 (nearly lossless; most CPUs will not be able to play these smoothly - but if you're transcoding to something else, definitely use these)

720p60_8000 - 1280x720, 60 frames per second, bitrate of 8,000 (good quality; fairly recent computers *should* be able to play this one - my 2007 Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz laptop can play these - CPU usage is like 90% (both cores), but it can play it)

720p30_8000 - 1280x720, 30 frames per second, bitrate of 8,000 (nearly lossess, but at 30 frames per second; same bitrate as the one above)

720p30_4000 - 1280x720, 30 frames per second, bitrate of 4,000 (this is approximately the same bitrate as downloaded movies, about twice the bitrate of YouTube HD)

60 frames per second looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than 30 (especially on these scenes with the rain).  Hopefully, most of you will be able to play the 720p60_8000 version.

The raw AVI files (uncompressed) are roughly 83 times the size of the 720p60_16000 versions.  As JPG frame dumps, they are approximately 4-5 times the size of the 720p16000 versions.  If I have more bandwidth and time someday, I will upload framedumps to Mediafire.  You will be able to recombine these into a 720p60 near-lossless versions of the original.

YouTube uploading is possible, but YouTube doesn't seem to like these videos - even with proper 720p 16:9 resolution, it seems to introduce a lot of compression artifacts... you guys can try if you want, but I haven't had any luck with it so far (

).

The last thing that would be nice for this project would be Dolphin saves at various points throughout the game (especially before the major cutscenes).

Would it be possible for someone to get me some Dolphin saves?  If so, I'll grab the other major Krystal cutscenes; otherwise, I'm not going to have time for awhile to play through the game.

soBeautiful.jpg

If I got you the high quality sound sources, could you add them? What program are you using to edit these videos? Quicktime can play it but I can't edit them.

soBeautiful.jpg

If I got you the high quality sound sources, could you add them? What program are you using to edit these videos? Quicktime can play it but I can't edit them.

Glad to hear you can finally play them.

I hate to say it, but I'm honestly not going to have time in the near future to add sound to them.  I'm going to be really busy in real life.

As for format, they were encoded using a Linux script called "h264enc" - but it simply uses mencoder and x264.  They should behave like standard H.264 files.

I'm not very familiar with OS X.  It's just a guess, but perhaps it's slightly incompatible with x264.

You can always export the all the frames with ffmpeg (I think you can install that on OS X).

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -r 60 -f image2 image%05d.png

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

Glad to hear you can finally play them.

I hate to say it, but I'm honestly not going to have time in the near future to add sound to them.  I'm going to be really busy in real life.

As for format, they were encoded using a Linux script called "h264enc" - but it simply uses mencoder and x264.  They should behave like standard H.264 files.

I'm not very familiar with OS X.  It's just a guess, but perhaps it's slightly incompatible with x264.

You can always export the all the frames with ffmpeg (I think you can install that on OS X).

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -r 60 -f image2 image%05d.png

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

That's plenty of help. I know exactly what you're talking about. Mac OS X and Linux are much more closely related than Windows is to anything else.

This is cool, I'd love to see versions with audio, and I'm not sure what your issue with system resources is, I have a low end single core computer (2.20 GHz) and it runs 8000 videos just fine through default Windows 7 Media Player.

Sorry for the double post here, but this was as simple as ripping the sound from Krystal Archive's Youtube video of the same cutscene, opening the ripped sound and the movie in Windows 7 Movie Maker and saving it as a 720p movie to avoid compression.  There was little, possibly no, loss in video or sound quality and desync between sound and video is hard to notice if there is any.

• 1 month later...

I've captured the first cutscenes from the game (up to the arrival at Krazoa Palace) in 720p at 60 frames per second.  I created a Mediafire folder to hold copies of the scenes at various bitrates and framerates.  They are numbered as follows:

Example: 1_720p60_16000.mp4

This is the first cutscene, in 1280x720, at 60 frames per second, with a bitrate of 16,000.

Here's the folder:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=32zyi4yn9h980

There are five cutscenes so far:

1 - A Girl Named Krystal

2 - Galleon Defeated

3 - Boarding the Galleon

4 - General Scales Confrontation

5 - Krazoa Palace

I probably won't be uploading anymore for awhile.

Each one has four different download options:

720p60_16000 - 1280x720, 60 frames per second, bitrate of 16,000 (nearly lossless; most CPUs will not be able to play these smoothly - but if you're transcoding to something else, definitely use these)

720p60_8000 - 1280x720, 60 frames per second, bitrate of 8,000 (good quality; fairly recent computers *should* be able to play this one - my 2007 Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz laptop can play these - CPU usage is like 90% (both cores), but it can play it)

720p30_8000 - 1280x720, 30 frames per second, bitrate of 8,000 (nearly lossess, but at 30 frames per second; same bitrate as the one above)

720p30_4000 - 1280x720, 30 frames per second, bitrate of 4,000 (this is approximately the same bitrate as downloaded movies, about twice the bitrate of YouTube HD)

60 frames per second looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than 30 (especially on these scenes with the rain).  Hopefully, most of you will be able to play the 720p60_8000 version.

The raw AVI files (uncompressed) are roughly 83 times the size of the 720p60_16000 versions.  As JPG frame dumps, they are approximately 4-5 times the size of the 720p16000 versions.  If I have more bandwidth and time someday, I will upload framedumps to Mediafire.  You will be able to recombine these into a 720p60 near-lossless versions of the original.

YouTube uploading is possible, but YouTube doesn't seem to like these videos - even with proper 720p 16:9 resolution, it seems to introduce a lot of compression artifacts... you guys can try if you want, but I haven't had any luck with it so far (

).

The last thing that would be nice for this project would be Dolphin saves at various points throughout the game (especially before the major cutscenes).

Would it be possible for someone to get me some Dolphin saves?  If so, I'll grab the other major Krystal cutscenes; otherwise, I'm not going to have time for awhile to play through the game.

Once you get the time, you should at least capture the "it's you" and "Krystal released" videos. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i just try it myself. i can't beleave it that i can play SFA on my PC.

Sadly its a pure waste of potential performance that dolphin only suport 2 processor cores.

I have 4 gigs of Ram and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 it doesn't matter about 16x anisotropic and fat antialiasing ect. about 30-40 fps.

But the processor (an AMD Phaenom x4 965 with 4x 3,4 Ghz) only uses 2 cores thats a pure waste of potential performance.

Many months (maybe years) ago i played SFA the last time and one time i left the Thorntail Shop and climbed up the wall in late afternoon and there was an realy cool looking graphic glitch for 2 seconds.

Today i have this again on the dolphin. look in the screenshot.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7545.0;a

Have anybody some cheatcodes for dolphin something like free camera or solch things. i wanna explore the maps.

Have anybody some cheatcodes for dolphin something like free camera or solch things. i wanna explore the maps.

Hi  there sould be something that say free look on the open GL plugin configuration there should be something called free look

use the mouse to control where you are pointing at and right click it...

i might want to borrow a copy of SF-Ad just to experiment with it

oh yeah Welcome to SF-O

Many months (maybe years) ago i played SFA the last time and one time i left the Thorntail Shop and climbed up the wall in late afternoon and there was an realy cool looking graphic glitch for 2 seconds.

Today i have this again on the dolphin. look in the screenshot.

I don't see the glitch you are reffering to.

maybe i have wrote it wrong. its not a glitch its just this dark violet coloring. thats only for some seconds.

thanks for the information for open gl and free cam.

Hi  there sould be something that say free look on the open GL plugin configuration there should be something called free look

use the mouse to control where you are pointing at and right click it...

i might want to borrow a copy of SF-Ad just to experiment with it

oh yeah Welcome to SF-O

Free look?  Does that mean you can get the camera to pan around anywhere on the map, like on Halo's Forge mode?

Free look?  Does that mean you can get the camera to pan around anywhere on the map, like on Halo's Forge mode?

yes indeed but you might realized some part of the map showed black or something is deleted

Let's just get on topic before this get locked

Edit:  oh yeah this is what I get when I ues dolphin i speed it up a little in a video editing software

yes indeed but you might realized some part of the map showed black or something is deleted

Let's just get on topic before this get locked

Edit:  oh yeah this is what I get when I ues dolphin i speed it up a little in a video editing software

Before that, can this be done during a cutscene?

yes you can make this while the cutscene is rendered you can free pan and move the cam.

the video looks cool but the problem is that youtube compress the videos still on 720p so much that it looks like the original.

i played it at 1680x1050 and increased antialiasing and anisotropic to the limits. the graphiccard doesn't matter but the cpu speed still stupid.

but i hope that they can clean up the emulation process and enable 4 cores for use so the speed is at 100% all time.

By the way Starfox assault is running smooth at 100% in Single player and Multiplayer.

There you see Rareware has choose quality. and namco not fast quick cheap render process.

yes you can make this while the cutscene is rendered you can free pan and move the cam.

I found this out.  It is absolutley AMAZING.