Why I've been gone

Dermot

Exept Falco is not homosexual. That is fanon. Assuming he is, is one thing,

and it is perfectly fine. Stating it is the only viable option, is wrong, for there

is no proof that it is true. It is ok to state is, as long as you are willing to accept

that it is not the 'universal truth'. It does not bothers me. It will annoy me, however,

if you say that Fox is a travestite and say it is true.

On a personall side note: I am not a convservative, US citizen, or chatolic for the

matter, but it annoys me to see people kissing and hissing and the street. Do not

they have private homes?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dermot

• Milkyway64

• The Shaper

• Kid_Cortet

Top Posters In This Topic

Milkyway64: Why should it matter whether children are present when there are men without shirts on or gay couples around?  One can see shirtless men and gay couples in public all the time, can't they?  It is strange to imply that men without shirts or gay couples are somehow not child-friendly.  Did you not think that I had in mind what seemed like a mature situation and what seemed ordinary?  To demand there be shirts on these men or no benign public displays of effection is like demanding burkas on women in public - I would be extremely uncomfortable complying with such a request that seems so much stricter than the standards of public decency I understand.  It is actually one of my firmest principles to not give into bible-belt-style moral guardianship as if it trumps everything else.  Besides, it is actually very foreign and incomprehensible to me.

Because you're shrinking the effect down. This is not real people in a city, or just the simple sight of a pool party. This is a NINTENDO SERIES with goofy SPACE FURRIES blowing GIANT DISEMBODIED BRAINS UP WITH SMARTBOMBS. To someone taking StarFox for what it is, the idea of Fox and Wolf bonin' is quite an odd and frankly disturbing concept.

Anyway, as for the manga scanlation parody I made, I actually do think that is my biggest hope to actually be true, and I had it to provoke people into noticing and thinking, at least to stir the pot of ideas.

And this was why it was annoying. I just got through this.

And I actually put the panels on their side while still making the page's text upright, to show that it wasn't a direct cropping of the page, but obviously an edit of it. 

And no one would know that unless they were so into the backstory anyways that they'd know it was just one guy's fanon edit.

Because you're shrinking the effect down. This is not real people in a city, or just the simple sight of a pool party. This is a NINTENDO SERIES with goofy SPACE FURRIES blowing GIANT DISEMBODIED BRAINS UP WITH SMARTBOMBS. To someone taking StarFox for what it is, the idea of Fox and Wolf bonin' is quite an odd and frankly disturbing concept.

Except you don't actually have to think about details like that if you don't want to.  Besides, what's so odd and disturbing about it if they did?  It's not like you're watching them in the actual coital act in their bedroom.  You're being a bit paranoid with your imagination.  I'm only being fridge-brilliant with mine.  And besides, most of the fanart I see is absolutely dominated by interpersonal relationships of some kind, especially of the friendly or romantic variety - this factor of empathy and/or relatability is part of what makes Star Fox interesting to a lot of people.  I mean, Star Fox was heavily bowdlerized in English as it is - the Japanese banter is filled with things some Westerners might consider mature themes, but I certainly don't.  I'm not about to shield children from ordinary G-rated dating concepts, like whether a man has a boyfriend, or ordinary public displays of affection I would not think twice about.  I tear down the structures of the Victorian age - I don't help reinforce them.

And this was why it was annoying. I just got through this.

At some level, do you not choose to be annoyed?  Stirring the pot of ideas is not exactly a bad idea - it can be very, very fun, even with lots of people with lots of different (even contradictory) ideas.  I'm nothing if not someone who likes to challenge ideas in a friendly way.  And I get the lion's share of my cues from the mainstream Japanese fandom - mainly because I usually happen to see things the same way most of them do, and what they think usually makes the most sense to me (and I find they tend to think things I already thought to begin with).  I'm being honest with my perceptions and my ideas - whether you choose to be annoyed by them is, quite honestly, not my business, and not even something easy to predict.

And no one would know that unless they were so into the backstory anyways that they'd know it was just one guy's fanon edit.

Again this sounds like an issue of game vs. story importance.  Yes, the games are overall less important to me than the story, as Star Fox is to me first and foremost a story, and a series of games second.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Would it be easier if I linked the edited page to the actual page in Japanese?  (The most common English scanlation itself takes liberties the Japanese text didn't take, as different readers and scanlators can have different cultural lenses.)  But what you may fail to realize is that my scanlation parody is only partially a parody - it reflects a slightly tongue-in-cheek variation on my sincere original interpretation of the passage, which I at first assumed could be the only interpretation until I met someone who thought differently.  Besides, I've met people who aren't even themselves convinced that Farewell itself is canon, because its tie-in to Adventures in the last two pages slightly contradicts part of the story at the beginning of the Adventures (namely whether they stumbled over Sauria themselves or whether Pepper asked them to go there).  To me (re: retcons, reboots, continuity, etc.), that question is rather moot.

Now, can you understand how being put under this much scrutiny every step of the way could be something that can make me feel henpecked and even bullied?  I want that kind of drama to stop - yeah, I know my style of speech is not always conducive to anti-drama (for some odd unforeseeable reason it can at times antagonize people), but I try.  And I will try to be considerate of others unless it crosses a very important personal do-not-cross line (personal fandom rights), like whether other people are - for whatever random reason - personally offended or irritated by my everyday fandom style.  I'm eccentric, I get it - just...see that I'm specifically not trying to give anyone else grief, and don't keep giving me grief.  It's just not possible that every single thing I try to do right is so annoying or offensive as to put me on trial.  There's just something that always feels artificially drummed up about this kind of opposition, as if there's more to this than people are explicitly telling me.  And when Steve specifically told me that my future evaluations would be essentially a popularity contest (hard number of complaints vs. quality of complaints), that's why I decided to leave in the first place.

I understand Redemeer but...what about Zero Flare?  :(

Apparently their banned. But Redeemer isn't gone as much as she is busy.

Guest Mr. Mario

So things were better when I was around?  I did something good afterall?

I would kind of say yes, though I'm pretty sure some other users here may disagree.

Well, of course someone's going to disgree.  At times SFO feels like one enormous orgasm of disagreement.  (In the non-sexual use of "orgasm", of course.)

By the way, after I sent out my invitations, how many non-Krystal-fans actually joined?  I know Fana did, but I wasn't even around long enough to see the introductions of others.  (Fana seems to have not stayed.)

Apparently their banned. But Redeemer isn't gone as much as she is busy.

Actually I was here when it happened.

Zero Flare is Redemeer's sister, but she could not tolerate her

being in the same place that Redemeer, so she made a post

about leaving and... left.

Hm, Zero Flare and Redeemer...those sound familiar...  Were they here before this summer?  Or were they old MouthOff people who answered my general invitation?  I vaguely remember a Hunter-Redeemer, and Zero Flare also sounds like a strangely familiar name.  Ugh, I can't remember.

Hm, Zero Flare and Redeemer...those sound familiar...  Were they here before this summer?  Or were they old MouthOff people who answered my general invitation?  I vaguely remember a Hunter-Redeemer, and Zero Flare also sounds like a strangely familiar name.  Ugh, I can't remember.

Redeemer is probably the nicest person on the forum, as for Zero-Flare I joined after they left so I don't know much about them.

And did you join before or after I did?

1000th post, hooray.

I joined August 20, 2010 you joined April 15, 2010. So you joined way before me.

Redeemer is probably the nicest person on the forum, as for Zero-Flare I joined after they left so I don't know much about them.

Zero Flare was a user on SF-O. Liked (still, perhaps?) to draw.

Then somehow, her sister - Redemeer - came to the site too.

A week or so, Zero Flare states that her sister and herself on a

same site would case much trouble, so she decided to leave.

Guest Mr. Mario

Zero Flare was a user on SF-O. Liked (still, perhaps?) to draw.

Then somehow, her sister - Redemeer - came to the site too.

A week or so, Zero Flare states that her sister and herself on a

same site would case much trouble, so she decided to leave.

Yeah...but Zero Flare came back to this site somehow a few months later after she announced that she is leaving the site. Now...I see her profile is empty, no avatar, no sig, no personal text, NOTHING.

By the way, after I sent out my invitations, how many non-Krystal-fans actually joined?

I would imagine at least 1-5 members that are not Krystal supporters.

Yeah, I did the same thing to my profile, sig, etc.  I felt like I was abandoning a really bad clique.  And honestly, if I can't be the kind of fan I normally am without constantly getting henpecked for it, I don't know if I want to come back for real.  If there is never going to be anything good enough or right enough about what I do that it always attracts the flames of the establishment, then it's hard not to just think "screw it" and pack up.

Yeah, I did the same thing to my profile, sig, etc.  I felt like I was abandoning a really bad clique.

So down to the question. Are you going to stay or leave?

So things were better when I was around?  I did something good afterall?

To be precise, the time you were around was, to say, 'the calm before the storm'...

A short time after your leave everything went to heck. So indeed, who can say?

Perhaps you could have helped to calm things had you stayed. Not blaming you about

anything, just stating a possibility... Also around that time it was my 'Hyper era' in SF-O.

So down to the question. Are you going to stay or leave?

I don't know...it depends on whether I can be the kind of fan I am without being constantly harassed for it.

To be precise, the time you were around was, to say, 'the calm before the storm'...

A short time after your leave everything went to heck. So indeed, who can say?

Perhaps you could have helped to calm things had you stayed. Not blaming you about

anything, just stating a possibility... Also around that time it was my 'Hyper era' in SF-O.

My time here was "calm"?  I was under an unbelievable amount of stress!  It can actually get worse than that?  And what changed?  What happened to the Luigi motifs and the AWEC00L?