The News

Sabre

I hate the news. This is likely already known by most of you. I won't go into the flaws of the recent hurricane coverage because people with likely QQ for it being 'to soon' or 'real'.

But, as much as I hate British news, from what I hear the Americans have it worse.

There was a bit of drama reguarding the Oslo shootings. At the time, I heard American news stopped covering it completely when it was revealed that the shooters weren't middle eastern. Not only that, but it appears the American coverage left out the names and actions of 2 survivors who helped people get away because ...they were lesbians, and the American news didn't want "Homo-promo" or to promote "The Gay Agenda".

I don't know if that is the terms they used or if that is feminist rhetoric, but the simple fact it's believible is a testiment to how bad the news is.

I know it's all under the banner of ratings, but surely they are losing more veiwers than they gain by this point?

They unfortunately loose no one because people care less and less about the "quality" of the news...

They care less, then they just can't notice what's wrong, or more generally what is the meaning of things that are shown to them. Most people forgot how to read between the lines, how to get the big pictures. That's the zapping culture. Going from one thing to another, and keeping those unrelated in their mind.

Each show and channel has its own editorial policy about various subjects, and the "art" in it is not to let the public know. Not because of secret agendas or plots, just because the image of media having opinion or side sucks.

I guess the global deterioration of critical education amongst the occidental nations just helps... :/

AJC, "I don't watch the news" doesn't mean "all of America doesn't watch the news".

I keep having to stop myself and remind myself that "American news" and "Canadian news" aren't the same thing for some ungodly reason. The coverage of the Oslo shootings was pathetic, though CNN kept good coverage of it I thought. Of course, when Amy Winehouse died like a couple days later THAT became the big thing everyone obsessed over and you'd get dumb kids going "who's Oslo?"

Saying "the American news" wouldn't be accurate I don't think, though. There are MANY different news stations, all of varying political stance. While it wouldn't surprise me if FOX News wanted to ignore the lesbian couple who lent a hand in saving survivors, there are other news bodies that wouldn't have a problem with it.

Meh, I don't have time or ability to watch news. That being said I don't miss it. Some the stuff they cover is obscure and unnecessary, a lot of it has the propensity to be blown out of proportion. That being said Fox news station is one of the only conservative news stations. Maybe its a good idea to see the other perspective sometimes, no? I don't know, celebrities get entirely too much news time here in California, and each state has different stuff that gets covered. Each news station is different. Local, state, or national news all has its own station, and some cover it all to a greater or lesser degree. News is just too subjective for me these days.

This is what passes as "news" in the US:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzfbCxU2LDM

They mention at the beginning that the Norway incident was not Islamic Terrorism, yet they rant on Islamic Terrorism for several minutes afterwards.

I don't think there is anything I can say to add to this. It speaks for itself.

Al-Jazeera seems to be one of the only real news agencies left in the world, yet these kooks on Fox continuously say that we should bomb their HQ. :facepalm:

I hate the news because it focuses on the wrong things simply to gain more viewers. It focuses on "popular" things that people love to hate, like Islamic terrorism as seen above in DZ's video. And as Sabre pointed out, it ignores the things that people may not want to celebrate, like the bravery of a gay couple. It's selective information that picks out what people love and hate, instead of giving the full damn story.

And another thing. It focuses on misery, because misery sells. You barely see any good, happy stories. I always feel like the world is slowly ending after watching the news.

AJC, "I don't watch the news" doesn't mean "all of America doesn't watch the news".

I

th it.

difference in many and all for sure, but i recall a poll taken by some one and the amount of people who watch the news is shockingly low

American news outlets are the lowest in terms of accuracy and reliability for myself. That being said I'm tending to pay more attention to the CBC, BBC, and as DZ pointed out Al-Jazeera. I always try to incorporate many news organizations when following a huge development or something that I'm personally interested in. Fox is more about sensationalism and as they have some very interesting pieces of news that don't get covered anywhere else - and not all of it is completely one sided. Most major online media (and internet users for that matter) are left winged anyways because they're younger and the more conservative older generation aren't online as much so it doesn't surprise me that so many people online have far more left leaning views on matters and as a result jump all over right winged outlets like Fox News. MSNBC I've seen carry a lot of bizarre "bullshit" as well. This being said, I role my eyes at people who watch only one news channel (particular Fox News) for all their news quite frequently. I was at a friends house up in Wisconsin and all his parents seemed to do was watch Fox News.

AJC, most younger individuals don't care or read the news as much as older individuals do and as a result have no clue about what's going on in the world around there. (I lol'd at the "Who's Oslo" comment by Dras) All the people that I know who follow news aren't of high school age and at least in their 20's. Then again, a lot of people in general don't care because they believe that media are corrupt and twist things to their advantage - which very often they end up doing in some way or form. As an example, the New York Times is under fire by a congressman out in California for having a front page story about how he used his position to become significantly more wealthy but it had a lot of factual errors in it and he's demanding the newspaper issue a statement and later denounce the story. The newspaper is blaming inaccurate "public records" but some of the information is so obviously incorrect...especially the part about his office in a high rise overlooking a golf course (which it doesn't). Moral of the story: People will twist the truth for their own gain.

Redeemer is right as well - most big news nowadays if of a negative nature because that's what sells. :/

Anyone heard of RT news? They are interesting. They are not on America's mainstream news but broadcast in English from Russia.

Anyone heard of RT news? They are interesting. They are not on America's mainstream news but broadcast in English from Russia.

Formerly known as Russia Today? Um...yeah...no thanks. Last thing we need is pro Russian/Putin propaganda lol.

Russian's portraying American news... why does that sound like a bad idea?

Not all russians are soviet communists plotting for the motherland against the american imperialists, you know... =_='

Not all russians are soviet communists plotting for the motherland against the american imperialists, you know... =_='

Well, considering any Russian who doesn't think that way and doesn't drink vodka like tapwater is fed to the bears for the glory of Mother Russia, they don't really count for much :-P

• Like 3

Only a commie spy would say that!

What about alternative media? I personally think they are more credible then the dinosaur mainstream media.

1.) They address real issues

2.) They question corrupt government

3.) They are winning the information war as Hillary Clinton admitted we are losing the information war!

:lock:

http://www.activistp...-people-in.html

A problem with alternative media (such as on the internet) is that source and author identification and authentification is tricky, and not established yet. That's because there is no (or incomplete) online editorial laws, statuses that public/state recognition is still unclear.

At the moment, people read/watch online just because it's free and available at all time.

A problem with alternative media (such as on the internet) is that source and author identification and authentification is tricky, and not established yet. That's because there is no (or incomplete) online editorial laws, statuses that public/state recognition is still unclear.

At the moment, people read/watch online just because it's free and available at all time.

That's a problem with all media though. News will accept from any 'source' no matter how tenuous, and will even make stuff up if need be. A games related example was the Mass Effect sex scandle, where the so called 'experts' hadn't even played the game. Usually any kind of "mounting pressure" or "controversy" is made entirely by the news. GTA, no one gave a toss until the news made it an issue for example.

During the early times of the internet during the 90s, alternative media was born. In the 2000s more and more new alternative media sites has skyrocketed. Infowars.com << I believe is the king of alternative media. Alex Jones has gained attention online and he appears on the Mainstream very seldom on the news and on some TV shows. Alex Jones and his team has done their first Nightly News Broadcast live online since Sept 1st. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYxJAaW6qqA&feature=related