Cavemonkynick

Writing makes for dry skin and headaches....

So after starting my Tomas crossover, I got the urge to write something a little more cannon. What I came up with was a Luna fic, which has probably been done to death but whatever. It's a 1st person story from the perspective of Night Wing, the Captain of the Lunar Guard. Frankly, I don't know where it came from but I can't get it out of my head. It has completely taken over my usual late night musings, but getting it on paper (so to speak) getting hard to do. its the classic case of "I'm at point A right? And i can see point B right over there but I can't bloody figure out how to get to it." It's really annoying. I've dealt with writers block before and I have a few general fixes.

The first is a long hot shower. The biggest reason this helps is I can think out loud and not get weird looks and witty comments (or at least dad THINKS hes witty) from family members. The downside of the showers? They dry my skin out and i cant stay in as long as I'd like cuz part of being "responsible" is not using all the hot water.

The second is music. The reason this helps is it gives the logic part of my brain something to while the creative half is left to work in peace. There are other ways to distract Mr. Logic but none that leave my hands free to type. The downside is the only way I can listen to music loud enough to work without the bass pealing paint off the walls (another of my fathers "witty" claims) is with my super powered $200 headphones. This means that after an hour or so I end up with a headache. The other problem is it sort of cuts me off from the rest of the world so I can't hear if someone calls for me which usually leads to arguments and even more headaches and that makes me want to just sprawl out in the floor and ofvaufvuviajfbvahelivjnafdhuvnhaeifncaunfhvanejhfuhvcnjv......

Ok, better now. Back to my attempts to beat writers block into submission before this story drives me insane or gives up. In the meantime, go read the first two chapters of "Her Sword, Shield, and Friend" on my DA page (links below) and let me know what you think.

Chapter 1 http://pallon-o-deat...t.com/#/d4z6msr

Chapter 2 http://pallon-o-deat...t.com/#/d4zasid

"And with that, POW! I'm gone!":Lord Crump- Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door.

So 3 days ago I was going on about my writers block, well after a good night's sleep I woke up Friday afternoon (my sleep scedule is jacked up lately) with the story lined up much clearer in my head. I spent the day (meaning from about 3 in the after noon to 2 the next morning) getting it all typed down and posted.

Saturday I didn't get much writing done but it was because one of my collage friends was having a graduation part and I was itching to get out of the house. The party started a bit slow, all the girls and the few guys lucky enough to have no shame dancing to recent songs that I don't know nor care too although not all of it was bad, specifically LMAFO. Being rhythmically challenged when it comes to dancing I hung out next to the grill and ended up talking to a guy I didn't really know. We ended up talking for about an hour bashing the Navy and trading stupid stories.

Now for those of you who don't know, the past few weeks have been a little rough. I'll spare you all the details but after a series of increasingly long and aggressive arguments my girlfriend came to the conclusion that we need a break and probably wont be able to really clear the air between us until we can sit down face to face whenever the hell she gets to to come home next, which is probably November. Of course this came up in my conversation with the dude by the grill (never caught his name) and we ended up bashing the female race as a whole. Don't take that personal ladies, but sometimes people just need to vent regardless of weather or not we believe half of what we're saying. It felt good to get the frustration off my chest and I finally settled into the party. I even found a fellow nerd when we both heard a song come on the radio that started with a single, sustained note on a violin and simultaneously mistook it for the opening song from Final Fantasy VII.

Eventually the party wound down to about 14 people sitting around a bonfire playing mad-libs. It was an awesome night.

Today I got a decent start on chapter 4 and am just killing time till my buddy gets home so we can tear through some ME3 Multiplayer. All-in-all a relaxing weekend.

Since I've been doing more writing recently, I'm looking for some honest-to-god constructive criticism. I really want to improve and broaden my skills as writing is one of the few things my gift/curse of a vivid imagination is good for. I have friends who say I am but I guess I'm afraid the praise is hollow and none of them really offer any feedback. As for the proof-reading, anyone who has ever wrote anything knows that when you read over your own stuff you can miss things because you know how it plays out in your head so you're brain skips over the mistakes that may throw readers for a loop.

The biggest reason I'm so desperate to improve is I'm at a bit of a crossroads as far as what I want to do with my life. I really love writing and I'm considering going to school to learn new tricks but that's a big, and VERY expensive step. So guys and gals, I need your help. Let me know if your interested.

Ha, well then, shall I point to to where I'd like you to begin?

So right now I'm sitting in my temporary fortress of artistic brooding (aka bang my head on the wall to the beat of my music until the writer’s block goes away central) granted it’s hard to brood in a room with tile floors, walls a shade of pink I want to call salmon but hell if I know for sure, and a piece of furniture I'm pretty sure is a vanity but am hesitant to call it that in fear that I may be right. I'm in a rented vacation home in Orlando, Florida with my parents and sister and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. Tonight will make our third night here and we won't be leaving until a week from Sunday.

Today we hit Islands of Adventure, half of Universal Studios, and being a junkie for thrill rides (as long as they’re not the spiny kind, those get to me) it was a good day. The coasters are so smooth it’s probably the closest I'll ever get to the sensation of self-sustained flight, a rush I hope I never tire of. We also hit up the Harry Potter section of the park. Let the record show I tried really hard but couldn't stop my inner dork from spouting random facts and trivia about everything we saw. I swear, If I could retain math with the same attention to detail that I retain knowledge about fictional universes I would have graduated 2 years early at the top of my class.

Of course there are downsides to the vacation the biggest one being the last time I was in Orlando, around new year’s this year, Bailey was with me. This city was where we spent our last few days together before she left for Japan. I swear, the fucking ghosts are worse in this place than they are at home. And the break up isn't making it any easier. At least were staying in a different place this time around. If we hadn't been I probably would have stayed at the house. It kinda sucks seeing places where we were together just a few months ago, but with practice I've become a bit of an expert at distracting myself. The ride down here was a bitch though.

The second problem has thrown me more than the first. I don't know what it is but the change in venue has thrown off my brain-a-verse. Normally I play out and add to an ongoing mega story in my head but I've lost touch with it recently. I was able to get a small about of chapter 4 of 'Her Sword, Shield, and Friend' done yesterday but it was only like 12 lines. Granted I sort of saw this wall coming. I resigned myself early on that I may end up breaking Luna's character a bit but mainly because so little is really known about her so I'm left to fill in the blanks for myself. That being said I'm not content to run out into left field in nothing but my underwear screaming "I'm the fucking author and Luna will be what I damn well say she is!" for two reasons. 1. that would be way to easy and I'm never going to really grow as a writer if I don't challenge myself. Some people may argue that writing with in guidelines is easier but it's not for me. My creativity is in making a story and tailoring the characters to that story, and it shines the most when I can bend all the pieces to my will. When I have to work around a fixed aspect, like a cannon character in a fanfiction, it limits what I can do with that character before it breaks the immersion of the story by going OOC. And 2... well I'll be honest with you on this one. It's late, I'm tired and while I was trying to put reason 1 into words that make sense I forgot what 2 was. So, yeah, moving on.

Edit: I remembered two, it was when a character pivotal to the plot is OOC it distracts from the story, breaks the immersion.

The other downsides are minor things. List time!

1. The router here ad my X-Box don't get along. They acknowledge each others existence but when the X-Box askes Mr. Router to do his job and provide stable service Mr. Router takes upon himself to to tell my X-Box to kindly fuck off so it looks like I'm going to miss the Mass Effect 3 N7 multiplayer challenge which is a bummer. My buddy and I were just starting to solidify a new dynamic. We recently tried role-reversing with our character builds, meaning he takes over sniping which is my proficiency and I slide into his shoes of the up close and personal shock trooper. We wanted to break out of our comfort zones a bit and expand our talents. I know video games may not be the most worthy endeavor in which to seek perfection but people take a certain pride and joy in being damn good at something no matter how pointless the skill may be in real life.

2. Florida doesn't understand the concept of middle ground when it comes to weather. Last time were here in December/January we almost froze to death in Disney World. Today we almost fried. I'm almost certain that my lower back pain is being caused by 2 vertebrae that melted together in the heat.

3. The pool is heavily chlorinated and chlorine reeks utter havoc on my sinuses, but I can't just not swim because I freaking love swimming, and it’s too hot out not to swim.

4. City water sucks. I go to take a drink from a fountain and it tastes just like the pool. I know it's clean and you probably get used to it but then again if you get hit in the face with a brick enough you probably get used to that too. Something are meant to feel wrong for reason

There are more but this is getting a bit long winded and I'm having trouble staying awake at the moment so I shall update this later as significant things happen, such as hitting the other half of Universal on Monday. Catch ya later folks.

So, last night I FINALLY finished Her Sword, Shield, and Friend. I had spent the last week on and off getting bogged down in backstory when I decided to grab a shower later last night. During my shower I realized that the story was getting away from me and if I didn't wrap it up soon it was going to be forgotten. So I ditched the backstory for now and just finished it in a way were if the spark returns I can pick it up but if it doesn't it could stand on its own. I don't know that I'm 100% happy with it but at least I can say I finished something I started, and I'm proud of that.

I've also been sifting through FimFiction lately and I've found some stories Ive really taken a liking to.

The first is called "Friendship Contract" by Demeristraz (found here http://www.fimfiction.net/story/23662/Friendship-Contract) It's a Naruto crossover that starts with a 6 year old Naruto wanting to make a summoning contract with something so he isn't alone anymore. When he tries the summoning he ends up in Equestria. The story pretty much ignores the Naruto cannon while retaining the major events, all for the better IMO. It's currently a work in progress but the author is cranking them out pretty fast and it's worth a read.

The next story that caught my interest was "Waking Nightmares" by KnightMysterio (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1990/Waking-Nightmares) and its a Team Fortress 2 crossover. I'll admit I started reading this one prepared to get three paragraphs in and quit because it was ridiculous beyond the point of being funny, but I was honestly blown away. This guy is a damn good writer making this an easy read without sacrificing substance, a balance that's hard to find in FanFiction these days. The story is much deeper than "the two factions meet. Silly things happen cuz there from different worlds lulz" It's good enough that I would go beyond simply recommending that you read it. Instead I say this. You need to read this, even if you're not normally into FanFiction. It really is that good.

The last one is "Dead Space: Friendship is Dismembered" by I have a jar of dirt (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/20407/Dead-Space%3A-Friendship-is-Dismembered) This dude has a great name lol. Anyhow, I think the title speaks for itself here. This one probably wont interest you if you're not a fan of Dead Space but I think its worth a look anyways. The story goes Twilight was reading a book by Star-Swirled the Bearded and came across mentions of other dimensions and the creatures that inhabit them. She comes across his entry about humans and they catch her interest. She tries a spell that should allow her to see into the human dimension but botches it at the last second and ends up traveling there instead. She ends up on the Kellion, the small ship sent to investigate the comms blackout of the USG Ishimura where, as we all know, shit hits the fan. It's an interesting read, and the only real problem is every now and then the author seems to forget what tense he's writing in but its not a big enough problem to derail the story.

So that's what I got for ya today. Now go read "Waking Nightmares" Seriously, do it.

I find myself at a bit of an impasse. I'm curious as to where I should go next with my writing. Right now I still want to test the waters with Friendship is Magic but I’m not necessarily sure where to go with it, so I’m like to get yall’s opinion.

My first option can actually run a few different ways, expanding the story of Night Wing (Devin Windelbane). I can continue expanding on his relationship with Luna, although I'm not completely sure how I’m going to handle it just yet. I can give a more detailed backstory fleshing out the time from when he left Cloudsdale up to Luna’s return. Or I can drum up some sort of external conflict for him to deal with outside of Canterlot, although now that I think about that one it could tie into his relationship with Luna depending on the nature of the conflict.

Another option would be to try my hand at something more… random, although this would be sort of unfamiliar ground and would maybe consider going into this as a joint project with someone more learned in the field of utter hilarious nonsense. I will entertain the idea of crossovers as long as they’re not overdone.

Also, going back to Night Wing for a moment, I’m curious as to whether or not I should continue with the whole first-person thing as it’s still out of my comfort zone. “Her Sword, Shield, and Friend†was the first serious piece I’d written in this format outside of like essays but that’s apples and oranges. At the same time I’m worried about dropping it all together. What I’m considering doing is keeping the first person aspect only for the romance arc and for everything outside of that arc directly such as the backstory and side stories going back to third person. The way it would work is everything outside the arc would be supplementary reading where each piece can stand on it’s on without having read the arc and vise-versa.

So there ya go. That’s what’s on my mind, granted all of this deep thought could just be because I’m wicked exhausted but whatever; I’m a sucker for input. Chip in your two cents quickly. I want to get back to work :)

Oh, and if you haven't read "Her Sword, Shield, and Friend" WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!? GO READ IT!!! http://pallon-o-death.deviantart.com/#/d51lvt7

• 2 weeks later...

Slow night and I ran across a meme so what the hell.

RULES:

1. Put Your itunes, windows media player etc on Shuffle

2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer.

3. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME DOWN NO MATTER HOW SILLY IT SOUNDS

4. Put any comments in brackets after the song name

And while it wasn't necessary I linked all the songs on youtube for the extra hilarity.

How would you describe yourself?:

Snowflake Mountain

(Diddy Kong Racing... Wut?)

What do you like in a Guy/Girl?:

Mysterious Power

(Okami. Ha! Insert your own joke for this and post it below.)

How do you feel today?:

A Powerful Enemy Approaches

(Super Paper Mario. And that enemy is writers block. iTunes is on a roll here.)

What is life's purpose?:

Sunken City

(Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons Zelda Reorchestrated (ZREO) edition. And now we're in left field.)

What is your motto?:

Rendezvous With The Ship 1

(LOZ Windwaker. OMG I SAYZ DIS ALL TEH TIMEZ!!11!)

What do your friends think of you?:

Detective Mario

(Paper Mario. Umm Ok?)

What do you think of your parents?:

A Gathering Of Storms

(Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. NAILED IT!)

What do you think about very often?:

Shop

(LOZ Ocarina of Time. Fairly true. Fortunately I'm perpetually broke.)

What is 2 + 2?:

Long Preview (Course View 2)

(F-Zero GX. Finally! Proof that apple sucks at math! That's why their prices are so damn high!)

What do you think of your best friend?:

Dinner Is Served

(Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Black Pearl. This is actually perfect. Every time my buddy comes over he eats half of my snack stash)

What do you think of the person you like?:

I Was Lost Without You

(Mass Effect 3. Ok iTunes, that's kinda creepy. The only way it could have been more dead on is if it had picked Vanilla Twilight by Owl City)

What is your life story?:

Caught Off Guard

(Skyrim. ...... Yeah that just about sums it up)

What do you want to be when you grow up?:

House

(LOZ OOT. Good one iTunes. Glad we're back to being random.)

What do you think of when you see the person you like?:

A Mighty Foe

(Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance. This)

What will you dance to at your wedding?:

Keeping Pace

(Darksiders. Let's all just enjoy that mental image for a moment shall we?)

What will they play at your funeral?:

Lonely Nation

(Switchfoot. Ok, this is going in my will RIGHT NOW.)

What is your hobby/interest?:

Toads Message

(Super Mario 64.... Again. Wut?)

What is your biggest fear?:

Fragments of Sorrow

(Kingdom Hearts. Oddly fitting. Of course all of it is if you try hard enough now that I think about it.)

What is your biggest secret?:

White House

(Splinter Cell Conviction. I gotta play that again.)

What do you think of your friends?

I am the One (High Fantasy Version)

(Dragon Age Origins. Dunno if its relevant but I love this song and Redeemer loves Dragon Age so yeah, ok.)

Well that killed some time so we'll call it a success. Don't forget to make your own joke for the second question.

An excerpt from a skype conversation with a friend of mine.

[6/18/2012 12:35:26 AM] Jon3Mac: A sequel to parchment called quill

[6/18/2012 12:35:49 AM] cavemonkynick: lolwut?

[6/18/2012 12:36:39 AM] Jon3Mac: Come up with the summary of it

[6/18/2012 12:37:18 AM] cavemonkynick: Thats actually perfect matreial for a shower brainstorm. gimmie an hour tops

Followed later by this.

[6/18/2012 2:34:43 AM] Jon3Mac: And if needed you can make a sequel called ink

[6/18/2012 2:35:35 AM] cavemonkynick: that had crossed my mind

[6/18/2012 2:37:41 AM] cavemonkynick: I'm thinking about working it ito this one. Its hard to come up with anyreason to actually kill the fucking owl when all she needs is a feather

[6/18/2012 2:38:07 AM] Jon3Mac: No reason

[6/18/2012 2:39:15 AM] Jon3Mac: The same reason some people like sausages and other people hate sausages

[6/18/2012 2:39:30 AM] Jon3Mac: No fucking reason

[6/18/2012 2:40:38 AM] Jon3Mac: Strap him to a table pluck feathers tickle him with his own feathers

[6/18/2012 2:40:49 AM] Jon3Mac: Bring in a parrot

[6/18/2012 2:40:49 AM] cavemonkynick: Yea, I'm saving that tanget for... fucking genious! This is going to be the first in a bunch of super random short fics hilighting a bunch of random genres!

[6/18/2012 2:42:34 AM] cavemonkynick: first this pointless gore, then a pointless adventure, or a pointless grimdark, a pointless crossover, even a pointless romance.

[6/18/2012 2:43:13 AM] Jon3Mac: All narrated by discord

[6/18/2012 2:43:57 AM] cavemonkynick: oh thats brilliant

And thus this abomination of nature came to be. http://pallon-o-deat...uills-309237041

We couldn't be more proud.

Hmm, the mysterious power in the second question . . . is the most common one :pimp:

Here's a few highlights of the results I remember. Can't remember all of them because I was too lazy to write it down >.<

What do you think of the person you like?:

The Lady is a Tramp

What will they play at your funeral?:

You Never Give Me Your Money

What do your friends think of you?:

Not of This World

What is your motto?:

I'm Shipping Up to Boston

What do you like in a Guy/Girl?:

Under My Thumb

• 2 weeks later...

So today a war on my very sanity was declared. A friend of my mom asked my mom to watch her 6 year old while their out of town... until next bloody Thursday... Now honestly, I cant stand kids for too long. I'm ok with the ones that are too young to talk and I'm fine with the ones old enough to carry on an intelligent conversation but the ones who just want to run around and throw things bug me. And the fact that it's going to be fricking hot for the next 3 isn't helping. No lie, according to the weather app on my phone, the forecast for the next 3 days is "Very Hot". Dafuq kinda forecast is that?!

Now that I think about it the "intelligent conversation" rule applies to people in general. It's weird, I like to talk but I still manage to be selective about who I talk with.

In other news, I have played the extended ending of Mass Effect 3 and I enjoyed it, (the art slideshow thing aside, that felt cheep). I strongly believe that if this ending came first their wouldn't have been the outrage that there was.

Oh, I also made a new video with my buddy Richard. Twas fun. Go watch it. I'm the one with WAY to much hair.

Dude your hair. It's amazing. You're fabulous.

• Like 1

Dude your hair. It's amazing. You're fabulous.

Why thank you! That's a nice change from the "who knows what might be living in it" jokes, lol

Well, thats certinaly is georgia. I could feel the heat from your video

God I know. We were only outside for like 10 minutes and we almost died. 101 I think it was that day.

Legend of Korra right? I'm unintentionally behind on that due to my dvr flipping me off about recording them. Plus I only just got off my ass about Dr. Who, something I've been meaning to do for years. Me and my sister are hooked on it. 4 days and 50 episodes in. Dad thinks we're insane but this is the man who yells at sports teams on tv so I tend to ignore his opinion. I think the last tv show we were both interested in was Kyle XY WAAAAAY back when... God I can't even remember how long ago that was... Welp, I feel old now and its 4:40 am. Bedtime!

Welp, it is official. Bailey and I are done. I found out through my sisters Facebook (because she blocked me when she broke up with me) that she has found another guy. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go listen to loud music, play video games, eat massive amounts of junk food, and ignore the outside world for approximately *checks watch* 3 days at the least.

Welp, it is official. Bailey and I are done. I found out through my sisters Facebook (because she blocked me when she broke up with me) that she has found another guy. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go listen to loud music, play video games, eat massive amounts of junk food, and ignore the outside world for approximately *checks watch* 3 days at the least.

whoa, whoa , whoa dude..... did you make a previous post about this? i don't see any.....And dude, dang man :/ what happened

She wanted a break. I'm still convinced that it was because we were talking marriage. For starter the planets would have to be in perfect alinement and I would have to sacrifice someones firstborn for it to have fallen in place like it needed to, plus her mom was, well, her mom about the whole thing. She stormed into my house and demanded answers. There was almost a fistfight. I think It all scared Bailey and she pulled out to the extreme. Now she's with one of her shipmates, which I thought wasn't allowed but whatever. It is what it is and wallowing in it won't fix it.

I have exciting news... Well I HOPE you find it exciting. The sequel to "Her Sword, Shield, and Friend" is finally in the works. For the sake of optimism and with the hope that those of you who are ready to see it will bug the piss out of me to get it done, I'm going to say that I should have the first chapter up in a week. That's right, no more than 7 days give or take and I will drop the DA and FimFiction links when it's up. Welp, back to writing.

So I just got a PM on FimFiction, the contents of which were thus:

Dear Cavemonkynick,

I am with a Livestream show on EFR called Reading Rainboom. You're fiction was submitted to our email for our next show, and I've decided that we will read it. However, we will need your permission to do something like this and I hope to receive a reply from you soon.

Sincerely,

Chaotic Harmony, RRB Co-Lead

DAY = MADE

• Like 1

So for the first time, I was nearly beat to death with inspiration. I was like 5 minutes from falling asleep when a song started playing on the tv and a story exploded in my head and I had to write it down. You can find it here> http://pallon-o-death.deviantart.com/#/d57jno4

So I just got a PM on FimFiction, the contents of which were thus:

Dear Cavemonkynick,

I am with a Livestream show on EFR called Reading Rainboom. You're fiction was submitted to our email for our next show, and I've decided that we will read it. However, we will need your permission to do something like this and I hope to receive a reply from you soon.

Sincerely,

Chaotic Harmony, RRB Co-Lead

DAY = MADE

HAHA!! Congrats Nick...Next up is Seasoned writer for EquestriaDaily!