Likes and Dislikes of Assault

Ravior_Stygian

And that ^^^ is the reason why people should be as specific as possible at all times. The phrase should have read, "Slippy being useless AS A PILOT"

Buuuut that's not what he was talking about at all. I said Krystal was a useless character in general and he said I THINK YOU MEAN SLIPPY LOL. Nobody ever specified piloting.

Krystal's addition to the roster was a bad decision. Or more specifically, adding her to the roster without doing anything with the character was a bad decision. She's a mangled D'eanna Troi, to repeat an old but well-suited comparison. Hell, she's always been a mangled character; she was, for all intents and purposes, completely destroyed when Rare decided to make SFA instead of Dinosaur Planet. Namco could have taken the character (still fresh out of the oven and with exceedingly little going for it so far) and made her into their own thing in Assault, but they didn't, because they didn't want to cross lines with whatever plans Nintendo had for her down the line, which turned out to be nothing interesting at all.

In fact the entirety of Assault has this kind of conservative boringness to it, like Namco was terrified of stepping on Shigsy's toes by doing something unexpected. It's so safe, bland, and cliche, and the gameplay outside of the Arwing sections so floaty and basic that it really is one of the weakest games of the franchise and would be really bad if it wasn't for the fantastic Arwing sections.

By the time of Assault Slippy has already been established as an indispensable part of the team, both in the mechanics of the games and in the fluff. He's as important as Peppy or Falco, maybe even more so because unlike Falco Slippy can actually fix stuff and analyze shields, and has a dad who is basically Einstein, and unlike Peppy 'Advice Dispenser' Hare, isn't a centenarian for half of the franchise. Yeah yeah I know he's fifty or something but in Assault he's voiced like a creaky, shriveled piece of wood. I half expected him to ask what year it was every time he spoke.

-  Fun gameplay

-  Interesting vehicle designs (some)

-  Some of the best Star Fox music

-  Some variation in weapons

DISLIKES:

-  Found myself using the Blaster more than others

-  Multiplayer fun for a few minutes, but got boring after a while; small maps

-  Graphics looked like an equivalent to a PSP game, to me

-  On rails felt... A bit too slow

-  WTFBBQ Jumping!  Jump like freaking Superman!  The frick is up with this?!?!?

-  A.I. is...  Comical.

-  Boss fights felt like I was having my hand held throughout the entire fight

• 1 month later...

Pros would be, character and ship designs, story points, starwolf, some voices rocked like wolfs, multiplayer a fun with friends, cons, could have been longer, arwing feels looser and slower than before but I guess that's for more maneuverability, looking at some others criticism, I can see and understand why people dislike krystal and the writers not doing anything with her.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that there is not friendly fire in this game just takes away my pleasure of gunning down Slippy whenever I wanted to.

-Almost everything in the game.

DISLIKES (aka HATE):

-Running on foot feels restrictive and not fluent and natural.

-Panther Caroso, Panther Caroso, PANTHER CAROSO!!!

- The graphics were actually pretty decent for the Gamecube.  The beginning of the first mission, I thought, was very breathtaking.

- The addition of Krystal to the team as a replacement for Peppy.  I know Krystal is a VERY controversial character, but it added a bit of freshness to the team.  I like how they embraced that Adventures happened (despite all of the backlash from it), and didn't just try to sweep it under the rug quietly.

- The Arwing levels were fun and flooded with nostalgia.

- The music.  I liked the redone versions of old songs, as well as newer songs.

- The Aparoids as villains. I kind of wished Andrew had been a little bit more relevant to the plot and such, but the Aparoids made for interesting, disgusting bad guys.  I felt like they could have done a little more with them taking over machinery and organic beings, but that might have made the rating go to M, so I can understand why not.  I was very pleased with the Aparoids, though.

- The weapon variety on foot was very neat.

- Multiplayer was fun.

- Star Wolf returning

- VAs were MOSTLY good/decent/acceptable by my standards.

- I kind of like how they redid Pigma from being a whiny, snivelling coward to a disgusting, power-hungry jerk.  I dunno.  Pigma was pretty despicable in 64.  But he just grossed me out in Assault.

- Some of the level designs were pretty neat.  I really enjoyed Sargasso especially.

Dislikes

- This is really picky of me to say this, but the Sauria level was supposed to be Walled City.  However, if you look at some of the symbols within the buildings, one of the symbols is that of a CloudRunner (or resembles one).  Terribly picky, I know, but it always irked me that Walled City didn't even resemble the other game at all.

- Fox's design.  His mouth reminded me of a crocodile.  I preferred the Adventures design by far.

- General Pepper's design.  He just looked... not right.  I think it was all the dark around his eyes that irked me.

- It was really short.  I beat it in two days the first playthrough.  Because it's so short, I think that it kind of kills the replay value a bit.

- There was only one route.  I was very disappointed that they stuck to one true route, instead of having others, as in 64.  I would have loved to see some of the other planets from the older games. 

- Needed more Arwing levels. 

- The on-foot levels were a bit repetitive.  "Go find x, shoot x, yay, you're done." was a little old.  The Arwing levels could feasibly be called repetitive, but at least they're varied in environment a bit more.

- I wish Multiplayer had more levels.

- Speaking of Multiplayer, I wish they had added Leon and Panther as options.  Also, I wish they'd dulled Wolf's stats down a bit, because playing as him is waaaay unfair to everyone else.

- I think it was mentioned before, but audio quality was off a bit.  A little fuzzy.

- Landmaster was a tad slow in my opinion.  Also, I didn't like how barrel roll was not the same button as hovering.  Drove me nuts because I was so used to it being the same.

- I wish the Arwings were a little better at manuevering directly up and down.  If there was someone directly below you, you almost never could hit them.  You'd have to fly away and circle back in order to get at them.  Very annoying, but I can see why they did it so the Arwing wasn't super powered in Multiplayer.

- AI could have been better.

• 3 months later...

Solid gameplay (for the most part)

Splendid graphics

Pretty good voice acting

Excellent Music

A pretty good story (it's very much written like an anime, which I like in particular)

Lengthy missions

Good multiplayer (if you have people to play with)

Dislikes:

REALLY short (my biggest complaint)

Strafing isn't all that useful, and wasn't implemented very well

Not enough Arwing action

Team mates are basically retarded. No, really. Just play it and see for yourself. They're completely helpless and actually rely on you to save them when you're on foot when there's already someone else flying around as well. Plus, somersaulting is apparently rocket science to them.

Again, there really isn't enough missions. There should have been at least five more.

Actually, I like the idea of the game being short. I prefer short games. What I don't like is that the game isn't fun enough to warrent going through a second time.

My problems are firstly the controls. It feels stiff. Not only that, it seems like there are too many actions, especially for the foot missions. Aiming is a bitch, and strifing left and right is a problem, because he roles when I don't want him too. It's a royal pain in the backside.

When you're aiming and you get hit, being temporarily prevented from shooting back also possess a problem. Sure, it's more realistic to have someone shudder when it, but it's frustrating having to re-aim all over again, or having ot role and reaim again.

There must've been a better way to select your weapons? I just found it really damn hard to shuffle to the right weapon in this game. I've yet to check out the other control methods for this game.

Vehicles also don't feel quite right. The Arwing feels heavier, and not as agile as that on SF64. The Tank feels REALLY heavy. Again, sure this makes sense in a believeable kinda way, but it's just a bitch to control sometimes, especially on the main game.

This brings me to my second point - the level design. Moving the tank around certain locations is a serious hassle. Many levels feel too crowded to move the Arwing around, especially at the speed it goes. And even when on foot, some locations seem like a drag to go around. it's hard to see where enemies are. It's hard climbing certain locations, due to an inadequete map. Take Saurina. Lots of rocks and mountains of various shapes and sizes. It's a complete pain to get anywhere on either 3 methods because of the awkward terrain. Aesthetically, it's the most beautiful level in my eyes. But it's not practical for gameplay purposes.

The arwing missions though, ironically, I find to be the absolute worst. The controls feel jerky again, there's isn't much in the way of challenge, and I find myself just button mashing and rotating the aiming all over the place, randomly, to hit many things. That's not good. Sure, the first level's rail section looked breathtaking, but take a step back and look at the design of it, and not much of it is really well thought out. I noticed this more recently with the rail sections of Kid Icarus. They should've taken cues from Sega.

The things I like; the music, which is outstanding. I liked the voice acting a lot, although the story itself fails to be gripping, no matter how much they try (but what do you expect from a Nintendo license, I suppose?). The visuals are some of the best on the gamecube, and stand up really well to this day. Great use of colour. Reminds me of a Sonic Team game, which is a huge compliment from me.

I admire they tried something different with this game. It failed in many places, and it's understandable the reviews were mixed. But this game wouldn't have done well if it were a rail shooter like the previous outings. They declined in popularity a number of years ago (heck, rail shooters never were popular out of the arcade scene).

Specially mentioned to the fact that, for the only time in a Star Fox game (IMO), it was actually in a believable universe. When i played other games, I never felt they were very well connected. In this game, however, it really felt like there was a Star Fox world out there. I suspect this is because it was a free-roaming game.

Multiplayer is top notch also.

Personally, I think Namco should've played Metal Arms: Glitch in the system first, and gotten some ideas regarding control and level design. The vehicles in that game are a lot easier and fun to use.

Krystal's addition to the roster was a bad decision. Or more specifically, adding her to the roster without doing anything with the character was a bad decision. She's a mangled D'eanna Troi, to repeat an old but well-suited comparison. Hell, she's always been a mangled character; she was, for all intents and purposes, completely destroyed when Rare decided to make SFA instead of Dinosaur Planet. Namco could have taken the character (still fresh out of the oven and with exceedingly little going for it so far) and made her into their own thing in Assault, but they didn't, because they didn't want to cross lines with whatever plans Nintendo had for her down the line, which turned out to be nothing interesting at all.

In fact the entirety of Assault has this kind of conservative boringness to it, like Namco was terrified of stepping on Shigsy's toes by doing something unexpected. It's so safe, bland, and cliche, and the gameplay outside of the Arwing sections so floaty and basic that it really is one of the weakest games of the franchise and would be really bad if it wasn't for the fantastic Arwing sections.

Eh, wat!?

I'm not being funny, but you're making it sound like there's a level of depth to the other characters in this game. Now, I know this is a contraversial thing to say on a Star Fox forum, but lets face it, Star Fox isn't shakespear. They've always had paper-thin stories, and shallow characters. There's almost nothing to any character in this game. I don't see how Krystal is any worse than the rest of the roster.

I mean, sure, there's some back story in past games. Fox loses his father due to betrayel. Peppy has his backstory. But none of this is expressed in the actual games, right (accept for the super hard ending in SF64 where Fox sees his father).

I don't know what anyone would've expected from Krystal. I too agree it was good that they kept SF Adventure as cannon. I think she's a great edition to the team.

Gameplay is good

Weapons

Characters

The ways that Slippy can die makes it look like its his own damn fault

Dislikes:

Voices were a little digital

Short story

Not enough multiplayer characters. Should have thrown in a surprise character in there, like ROB or Gen. Pepper

Lack of a shotgun-like weapon

• 3 weeks later...

I played the game only once, regrettably, but I do remember what I mostly liked about the game:
A BADASS soundtrack. Add a little rock to the music and they would have driven the Scorpions' 'Moment of Glory' album off the shelves! Second, the little quirks you get between Fox and Krystal at times, most notably the 'Honeymoon' cutscene at the end of the Sauria level. I would always laugh at that. It was like the ending of Adventures, only thisus time, Tricky got to add his two cents in lol. The fight with Arseface Andrew was memorable. I never thought that any one would imitate Andross and make it even more abominably ugly :lol: . I was wrong. The design of the vehicles and especially the Great Fox was nothing short of amazing. And, most importantly, it had some challenge, even in the easy mode. Overall, I loved it :D .

Not to say, however, it didn't have its cons. Indeed, it was sinfully short. The characters were cheesy, especially Krystal. She sounded like some blonde chick from a black n' white drama flick at times. Fox sounded like a wimpy version of Superman in some cases too. And, most importantly... THEY BLEW UP THE GREAT FOX!!!!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  For crying out loud, that was like the game's Enterprise!!!! I personally think it as a sin to blow up the GF like that... Especially with the POS GF II they were left with in Command! :rant: 

But, that aside, it wasn't all that bad to me. But, then again, that is one man's opinion, is it not?

Sorry bout the way it repeated itself. Posting glitch sorry... :(

Is there a way to edits posts you already made perchance?

By hitting the "Edit" button. Directions are simple: Walk until you see the ocean, take a left at the AK, and keep walking until you see the Mayan temple. (It's right next to the Report button on the bottom right of your post.)

Sorry bout the way it repeated itself. Posting glitch sorry... :(Is there a way to edits posts you already made perchance?

forget about that fixed it my thanx to The Shaper for the advice! :D

Pros: Starfox sequel

Cons: Halfass Namco piece of sh*t

I hated Namco since Soul Caliber 4's Star Wars character adage. Like Capcom, Namco only knows how to do two things: copy and paste.

I would probably have to agree with 80% of the posts here.

Pros
- great character design
- great graphics
- cool voice acting 

- multiplayer

- good storyline

Cons

- Too short :( (Zoness and Titania should have been levels)

- ground missions should feel more realistic

- perhaps a more even balance between arwing and ground missions

Overall I will have to say though that Assault is my favourite of the franchise :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has their opinions. But this guy...I don't know, he goes over the top ballistic. Just watch for yourself.

NSFW WARNING

Judge for yourself. Is he talking about us or some other forum? Either way its pure ignorance.

I'm actually surprised at the dislike of some of the voice actors in the game. I thought most if not all of the cast did a fine job voice acting.

@Snes: Woah. That guy needs to chill. People can have opinions. I don't have time to watch the whole video at the moment, but I'll come back later and finish it. He mentions Starfox forums or something? If he does, then it might be these. I found these forums while searching for forums about Starfox.

I'm actually surprised at the dislike of some of the voice actors in the game. I thought most if not all of the cast did a fine job voice acting.

@Snes: Woah. That guy needs to chill. People can have opinions. I don't have time to watch the whole video at the moment, but I'll come back later and finish it. He mentions Starfox forums or something? If he does, then it might be these. I found these forums while searching for forums about Starfox.

If he was ever here, it was about 2009 or something. He really doesn't understand what Starfox is. Starfox is and was originally an arcade style rail shooter in which you mostly pilot a ship or a tank in sf64. In the vid he also says hes a Zelda fan. Thats fine, Zelda has a good lineup of games. But here inlines the problem with his statement: He likes Starfox Adventure because its pretty much Ocarina of Time all over again and that we as fans of the rail shooter genre shouldn't b*tch about how short and disjointed Assault was.

Now while I have had my rantings on Assault, I'll admit that it wasn't as bad as Command. In fact I admire Adventure although I didn't personally enjoy it. But this guy hasn't come to realize just how successful Starfox 64 was and since then there should have been improvements to the existing material rather than a genre swap. How much raving would be on his end if Nintendo decided that Legend of Zelda swaps genres with Metroid? I can hear the echoes from that parallel universe now.

• 2 months later...

lets talk about the lack of character development and plot holes shall we?

fox: what did he learn on this adventure?...i guess to trust his team mates more since he didn't go it alone this time, i guess he took wolfs advice to not hesitate

falco: well, he's a better friend this time around, still has that tough guy facade though.

slippy: he's just there

krystal: well namco desided to keep her, and? well, she keeps flirting with fox, its cute and all but thats where it ends for her. typical love interest and romance humor that goes no where.

peppy: this bamf just can't stay retired can he? makes me wonder why he's even retired in the first place.

wolf: I like his almost but not really fatherly figure role he plays, he's bigger, cooler, and much more likable than just some dude with an eye patch.

leon: I don't mind the change but mostly because i've never been that big a fan of leon to begin with.

panther: his interference with fox x krystal was annoying, hate love triangles. he's ok, a cooler addition to the starwolf team when not flirting.

lets see, the plot holes...hmm, oh!

when the team come across broken wolfens during the meteor level, "so it was wolf and his team that got destroyed?" what? first of all, did we miss a scene were they get some distress signal? second, if they abandoned ship, where would they go? i'd like to see their space suited butts swimming aimlessly in space.  you could take this little tid bit out and it wouldn't have mattered.

how did peppy and rob escape in time? plus, did he scrap the infected skin off or did they explode off him?

why would krystal ask about pepper? isn't he in bed recovering anyway?

if krystal can sense faint brain patterns then she should be able to find wolf and co. they shouldn't have gotten far, heck she was able to pick up a distress call from sauria which was pretty far.

Ohoh my turn :P

Like :

- The OST

- Space, tank and on foot mission, i like the diversity.

- The gameplay is pretty good on space mission.

Dislike :

- The ship design, too different (and ugly) compared to other StarFox game, to the point that I often had the feeling of not being on a StarFox game

- The story plot, the idea of the aparoid was good (even if it's realy similar to the Borg of Star Trek) but badly used.

- The game was too short.

- The gameplay for the on foot mission was realy bad and the Landmaster badly exploited.

- Bad I.A (ally and enemy).

- Linear progression.

- Average graphic, the GameCube can do a lot better (remember StarFox Adventur or Star Wars Rogue Leader).

Conclusion : Assault is for me one of the most bad representation of the StarFox franchise ! :/

I'm having a hard time believing that this thread is still open.

Well allow me to disprove your theory!

Dislike :

- The ship design, too different (and ugly) compared to other StarFox game, to the point that I often had the feeling of not being on a StarFox game

- The story plot, the idea of the aparoid was good (even if it's realy similar to the Borg of Star Trek) but badly used.

- The game was too short.

- The gameplay for the on foot mission was realy bad and the Landmaster badly exploited.

- Bad I.A (ally and enemy).

- Linear progression.

- Average graphic, the GameCube can do a lot better (remember StarFox Adventur or Star Wars Rogue Leader).

Conclusion : Assault is for me one of the most bad representation of the StarFox franchise ! :/

Personally, I liked Assault's ship designs, gave quite a sense of hyper-futurism when compared to the older designs, and It kinda made Lylat feel like it had advanced overall in the 9 years since 64

Eh, every Sci-fi universe needs a Borg analog. Its the tale of a non-hivemind civilization being forced to contend with a hive-mind and find a way to make individualism still matter, when total control by a singular entity would be a helluva lot more efficient.

Yup. Game was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking short.

I always dreaded the segments with the Landmaster, simply because they just felt like an over-complicated and over-sized gun for the pilots. It out-classed every weapon, so what was the point in the complicated aresenal the game gave you besides the fact that you cant fit a landmaster in half the places you could do land-segments?

AI was Pants-on-head retarted. You win there.

The branching paths of 64 was one of the most loved-features of the game, and allowed people to get a bit more competative with their scores for the game. Well.. I did anyway, because unlike my friends, I knew how to get to every planet.

The game didnt just feel graphically hindered, it also felt a bit hindered in terms of the feel of the arwing. I dunno about you guys, but the one thing that bothered me about the arwings in Assault, was that they were JUST SO GODDAMN SLOW. You need velocity in order to maintain altitude, but the Arwings were always moving at about 2km/s at any given time that wasnt a cut-scene. I know we cant have the wing-riding segments move at mach 3 but come on, at least make it FEEL like were moving fast?

And while I agree with you that it wasnt the greatest representation of the franchise, I certainly feel like it wasnt the worst. Command takes that particular cake.

Personally, I liked Assault's ship designs, gave quite a sense of hyper-futurism when compared to the older designs, and It kinda made Lylat feel like it had advanced overall in the 9 years since 64

To be more precise, what I blame in the design of StarFox Assault, is the lack of coherence with the design of the other StarFox games.
I take some other SF franchise in exemple.

Between this...
Enterprise-A1.jpg

And this...

ent_f_blog_011212a.jpg

Or this...

YT1300.jpg

And this...

dva0408.jpg

When I see these ships, I feel that it is part of the same universe while finding technological developments that separate them.

Now i take the most big exemple for Assault, this...

Cornerian_Battleship_In_Sector_Y_%28Star

Campared to this...

CDFFleet.jpg

You see what i mean ?

• Like 2

Everyone has their opinions. But this guy...I don't know, he goes over the top ballistic. Just watch for yourself.

NSFW WARNING

Judge for yourself. Is he talking about us or some other forum? Either way its pure ignorance.

This guy completely missed the point. It's not that the incorporation of on-foot gameplay into the franchise is a bad thing, It's just that has not been executed very well. Adventures' on-foot gameplay, despite playing well, did not fit the nature of the franchise and Assault's on-foot gameplay was mediocre due to terrible controls and annoying objectives. On-foot gameplay in the Star Fox series can work, but it needs to be executed properly and shouldn't take up most of the game.

And I disagree with the idea that turning DP into SFA was for the better, judging by the screenshots and leaked gameplay footage, DP looked much better than SFA ended up being.

star fox assault is my favourite game of the star fox series,but the new great fox desing is the worst of SF :/ 

• 4 weeks later...
*lots of pictures*

You see what i mean ?

I actually hadnt thought of it that way... Although I'd be quick to blame the N64's graphical capibilities for that. How precisely do you modernize

Cornerian_Battleship_In_Sector_Y_%28Star

That?