StarFox Turbulence

Ellanie

Well.... Here goes nothing. I've had the general idea for this story bouncing around my head for entirely too long, and decided to try my hand at writing it. I'm going to be cross-posting this here and to my DA account. I'm working on some art too, but that will probably only hit over there.

Please enjoy and any critiques are welcome. ^_^

EDIT:

I've been working hard the last few days to rewrite the first few chapters for better flow, consistency and just to make a little more sense. I took everything said and finally had the epiphany on how to fix it. I feel I have a better starting point, so thank you very much!

I decided to edit over the old with the new. The party scene and Peppy's speech were especially retooled. Without spoiling, it makes so much more sense!

On another note, for new readers, the critiques set with the first few chapters probably won't make any sense.

Also cross-posting on DA.

http://paleamethyst....t.com/#/d51owrd

Otherwise, critiques are still welcome!

STARFOX

Turbulence

Chapter One

~*~

Andrew's voice came through the computers speakers scratchy, but the orders were clear.

“StarFox is in your area. I need you to kill one of them, and it doesn't matter which one.â€

“Okay,†I answered quietly, instinctively, staring off away from the screen. “You don't have a preference?â€

“No... Wait, yes.†He paused. “Don't touch Fox.†He added, his voice turning ferocious, “I want him for myself.â€

“Alright then,†I said absently. “I'll take care of it.â€

“Good.†The vocal link clicked and silenced, and the screen went black.

I breathed, reclining in the desk chair. It was an incredibly difficult request, but not an impossible one.

“Don't touch Fox, huh?†I mumbled.

While Slippy's mechanical prowess and Krystal's telepathy made them abundantly useful to the StarFox team as a whole, and their defeat would greatly reduce their overall ability, they were both people of extreme importance to Fox, their prodigious leader, and that kind of loss would damage him to a dangerous level. Andrew would be no match against Fox in a vengeful state. It was Fox fighting that frame of mind that lead to his beloved uncle's demise.

That only left Falco. He was a fantastic pilot, easily one of the best, but he wasn't as important to the team, overall. He didn’t appear as emotionally attached, either. It looked like my best option for what Andrew wanted.

I closed my eyes, taking a slow breath. What a miserable day this will be.

~*~

Falco sighed, feeling uncomfortable and out of place.

He leaned against the side of the pillar, arms crossed, staring into the crowd of fancy suits and party dresses, expensive wine and grating string “music.†The suit he wore (bought exclusively for the occasion) allowed him to blend in seamlessly into the opulence, but it was clear he didn't like it there. It all felt so bland and fake.

Krystal slipped up beside him, her turquoise cocktail dress and gold jewelry giving her an equal appeal. Compared to him, however, she seemed to be enjoying herself, but that could have just been the wine.

“How are you doing?†she asked him, after taking a sip from her glass.

He looked at her, knowing fully that she already knew his response.

“I'm bored,†he answered flatly.

Krystal giggled sweetly, bringing her hand to her lips. “Don't be that way. We are getting paid to be here, after all.â€

“I know, but-â€

“But what?â€

“This is sickening.†He paused only long enough to take in Krystal's puzzlement. “Peppy asked us to be here for the safety of the people attending,†he continued, “but I can't say I'm too thrilled about being a body-guard to this kind of crowd.â€

She furrowed her brows in a worried way, her eyes turned back to the red glimmer of the wine she was holding. “And here I thought you'd be interested in seeing what the wealthy lifestyle was like.â€

Falco scowled. “I'm getting paid 15,000 credits to stand here and look intimidating.â€

“So what bothers you more,†she started, throwing her hand to her hip, “how much you're getting paid for what might be a very easy, but generally pointless, job, or that these people can afford that much money on four of us each after a nasty war?â€

He looked at the floor. “Can I say both?â€

Both let out a sigh.

After a short silence, Falco looked around. “Where the hell is Fox? He better not have bailed!â€

“Fox left to talk to Peppy about some important matters in private.â€

Curious, he asked, “Important matters? So Peppy couldn't tell us upfront what's really going on here?â€

The vixen shrugged. “I'm actually on my second glass of wine,†she suddenly said softly while twirling the red liquid. “I've been having a hard time with this, too, but I also feel a bit justified.†And, with an innocent look in her eyes, she asked, “Is that bad?â€

Falco suddenly chuckled. “Maybe I should get some alcohol in me, too.â€

She relaxed and the two parted ways. As the avian sauntered toward the bar, thinking that some brandy sounded good. It was more appealing than the wine, at least. Maybe it would kick in faster.

~*~

With the right appearance, these kinds of parties were extremely easy to crash. I had attended many of these little galas before, and they are really were no different here in Lylat as they were in Ansigma; showy and stuffy and utterly full of themselves.

The information Andrew left to me indicated that the entire team was here on a job. While it seemed a bit far-fetched for the higher-ups of the military and government of Corneria to ask a mercenary team to act as bodyguards at an event like this, I understood the reasoning the new general had in asking them. After being the spearhead in defending and finally defeating the Aparoid onslaught, their grand reputation alone could frighten away anyone that may have otherwise threatened the large crowd.

Immediately upon entering the main hall, I was able to see Slippy Toad. He was a short, round frog, currently sporting a slightly too fancy tuxedo even for this party. He was jovially conversing with his father, Beltino Toad, another frog of similar stature, who often adjusted and readjusted his glasses.

While I appeared to absently sift through the crowd, I was fully disgusted by the display. Wasn't Lylat on the verge of financial ruin? Are the people in charge of this system really as blind to the normal person's plights as they are in Ansigma? Surely not, but the event seemed so off-color in these circumstances.

I suddenly felt a nudge on my shoulder. I turned to the direction to see the blue vixen that had tapped me. “Are you-?â€

“I'm looking for someone right now,†I cut her off before she could get a good look at me. “Pardon me.â€

I shuffled through the people, leaving her behind, trying to put as much space between the two of us as possible. I didn't know the extent of her telepathic power, but wasn't going to risk staying near her long enough to find out what she was capable of. (On the other hand, she really didn't appear as threatening as her reputation claimed.)

I saw my target leaned against one of the large marble pillars that encircled the massive hall. His arms were across his chest, looking out at nothing in particular, tapping one of his fingers against his elbow. He carried an air of absolute disdain, not too dissimilar from my own.

While I contemplated my options, I noticed that the vixen I just dodged was suddenly a few steps short of speaking to him.

Needless to say, that was a problem. I slipped back into the throws of people, wandering around the crowd a bit until I came to the bar. It was pointless to do so, but I simply ordered the first thing that came to mind (scotch, for whatever reason), and began to weave back among the party-goers.

As I was working to blend in, I realized that Falco had begun walking toward me, his expression focused. Still without a complete plan, I began to look about, and, acting as if I had noticed something important, I briskly walked toward the entrance. I glanced behind, and he, to my relief, wasn't tailing me, instead going toward the open bar.

The guards didn't appear to make much note of me as I meandered about the front entrance. Their incompetence, I assumed, was a result of StarFox being there, but that was another matter entirely. Either way, leaving without event would be easy, but I'd still be in a bad way with Andrew for not completing my job in good time.

Then suddenly, I had a brilliant, awful idea...

~*~

Unfortunately, the brandy wasn't nearly enough.

Krystal continued to gleefully wander about the crowd, Slippy took the time to catch up with his father, and Fox stayed hidden, speaking privately with Peppy in some other point of the mansion about the real reason they were here. It was annoying to him that he was stuck suffering of opulence overdose while the rest of the crew was finding something to occupy themselves, but the money was good, even if he was so out of his element.

Falco sighed quietly. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if he was talking to someone, but the business ventures of the super-rich weren't exactly stimulating conversation. How many more hours did they need to hang around?

Deciding to head back to the pillar that was his original post, he started to wade through the crowd again.

“Good evening,†a soft voice said behind him.

“Hmm?†It was more of a grunt than a response. He glanced around to see a female avian, drenched in sky blue chiffon that seemed to highlight against her brown and cinnamon feathers.

Despite his initial want of conversation, Falco was never in the mood to flirt. He turned on his heel, crossed his arms and stared at the woman, not saying anything. Her only response was to blink her large, almost owl-like eyes. They were pale pink in color, surrounded by a mask of brown feathers broken only by two small flecks of grey where her brows should be. Her beak was silvery in color, short like a song bird but sharply hooked at the tip.

Her expression, however, was blank, offering no clue as to why she had stopped him.

Impatient, Falco asked outright, “What?â€

For a fleeting instant, her eyes grew wider and her beak dropped into a frown, but it just as quickly molded into, in hindsight, a feeble smile.

“It might be a bit silly,†she began with a voice soft and strangely dry in tone, “and a bit embarrassing.†She stopped midsentence, turning her gaze to the small glass of liquor she was holding. “But, thank you.â€

The statement just left Falco confused. “Why are you thanking me?â€

She looked directly at him, eyes wide again, as if surprised. “You helped stop the Aparoids, and many other fights, too, right?â€

“Yeah,†he responded flatly. It was pretty common knowledge, after all.

Her small beak curled, her gaze returning downward. “Is there a problem with wanting to thank you for that?â€

Falco realized the woman was trying to be genuine. He pulled his arms apart and smiled, waving his hand in the air. “Don’t thank me for that. I fly for myself more than anything.†He finished with a smirk and a shrug.

“I see,†she said. She stared for a moment before brushing the cinnamon feathers that swept about her face aside, and with the same motion, she reached up and tapped his chest. “That’s a strange heart you have.â€

Falco couldn’t pick up any sort of emotion in the last sentence, and was left bewildered by her manner and words. Unable to think of a response to give her, the two birds stood there, partiers and obnoxious violin music swirling about them.

“Well,†she finally said, “I’ll leave you to your work.†She turned and waded through the crowd, fading away from sight.

Falco pondered the exchange, but quickly concluded that it wasn’t much use trying to wrap his head around rich people, so he simply turned to head back to his original post, but stopped. Something stiff and terribly cold lied across his chest. He reached his fingers into his suit, and within the chest pocket he felt the handle and then the smooth side of a blade.

His shock immediately transformed into that excitement he lived for. Finally, something interesting was happening during that awfully boring evening.

It was, after all, one hell of a way to threaten someone.

~*~

He smiled at the discovery, and I found it... odd.

He didn't try to remove it. In fact, he seemed to relish it for a moment before returning back to that pillar he was initially, a clear smirk on his face.

I stood a bit dumbfounded, a glass of hard alcohol in hand, staring off at the avian man I was supposed to kill, smiling as if I gave him a gift.

“Excuse me, miss.â€

I startled out of my moment to the new man behind me.

It was the final piece, Fox McCloud, a grave look on his face. I stepped aside, allowing him to pass. Though my curiosity had been piqued, it was my time to go. My job wasn't complete, but it would be easy from this point.

~*~

Back at my apartment, Andrew had messaged me to give him an update. I sat at my desk, still in party attire and rang him.

He picked up almost immediately. “Were you successful?â€

No hello, no comments on my appearance, just business. “I'm not finished.â€

His entire being contorted into anger. “Why not, you had perfect opportunity to murder-â€

“Falco Lombardi will leave the rest of them. I set a trap, exactly what you wanted.â€

Andrew’s mood instantly swung. He tapped his chin thoughtfully. “Ah, I see now. That gives me a new idea. We could easily use him to bait Fox.â€

I blinked. “I’ll capture him, then.â€

Andrew grinned, his terribly unkempt teeth filling the screen. “Good, inform me when you are able to.â€

The screen went black.

Edited by Ellanie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

EDIT:

Okay, revised chapter 2. :-) Enjoy.

DA link - http://paleamethyst....ter-2-305564230

STARFOX

Turbulence

Chapter Two

~*~

Krystal watched as Fox threw his suit coat on the bed, pulling the buttons loose on his dress shirt in a desperate manner.

“What's wrong?†she asked, pulling a gold earring from her ear. Her sense of him was muddled with their rush.

“He'll tell you everything in a moment. I'll get Slippy and Falco to meet us in the briefing room.†Half-dressed and rummaging through his closet, he added, “Hurry and change. Peppy wants to radio us the full report.â€

“O-okay.â€

~*~

Falco, already released from the fancy suit he was forced to wear and into his regular flight suit, held the blade under his desk's lamp, admiring the artistry of the object. It wasn't any kind of metal he had seen, resembling something more akin to ceramic, but it didn't seem fragile. The beautiful substance even made up the handle, and was further enhanced with a meticulously carved iris-like design.

In spite of the threatening way he received it, the blade itself was completely dull. Letter-opener dull, he thought.

The intercom clicked over his head. “Falco, come to the briefing room,†ROB demanded.

The avian let out a groan as response to being interrupted, and slipped the blade into his supply pack.

~*~

Peppy's frown was deep, almost painful looking. He sat in a private chamber, staring down at the three pilots beaming through the communication line.

Fox stared up at his mentor through the screen, arms crossed in a stoic manner. Krystal stood to his right, a hand on her chin, staring at Fox, searching him for any hint at the message to come. Slippy stood to his left, fiddling with his cap and unable to make eye contact with the hare on screen, but at the same time, admiring the bold red and gold uniform he now wore.

Suddenly, the metal doors slid open, the characteristically late member finally joining. He stepped up beside the frog, crossed his arms, and looked up at Peppy without saying a word.

“Everyone,†Peppy started in a gentle manner, “I want to all know that you mean a great deal to me.â€

The statement caught the four off guard.

“Because of that, I need to know that I won't regret telling you what I'm about to, or giving you the missions that I may have to in this position.â€

Fox spoke, his arms still crossed, “You already know the answer to that.â€

If it was possible, Peppy frowned further. “I just want to hear each of you to say it out loud. Then I won't have any doubt.â€

“Well, fine,†Falco interceded. “Won't be any different to me if you're the one writing the checks. I'm still flying, even if it gets ugly.â€

His blunt response completely diffused the moment.

“He's right,†Krystal warmly added. “I don't have it in me to drop out now. Everyone is too important to me.â€

“Me too,†Slippy piped. “I'll work harder.â€

Fox, still in his stoic manner, added, “You heard it from them, and my answer is still the same; I won't let you down.â€

Peppy relaxed. “I'm glad. If anyone knows what you all are individually capable of, it's me, but I'll still worry.†He let out a sigh.

“Peppy,†Fox said. “That's not all you wanted to say.â€

Noting the four pilots looking up at him through the screen, Peppy began, “Team StarFox, I currently don't have a mission for you, but I do have some information I want to pass along.â€

The aging hare paused, closed his eyes, and pulled his thoughts together. “The neighboring star-system of Ansigma is showing signs of military mobilization,†he began, voice low, “The four High Noble families of their system have been in talks over their dwindling resources. Our defense forces are still in recovery from the Aparoid's attacks. However, we have a far greater wealth of resources that Ansigma doesn't have access to. â€

There was small pause. “Ansigma’s kind of backward, aren’t they?†Slippy suddenly quipped. “What kind of damage could they actually do?â€

Peppy nodded. “Ansigma has a deeply ethnocentric society, refusing to deal with other planets outside of their core system, and by enforcing strict immigration and trade laws, have always been a few steps behind Lylat and other neighboring systems in technology. They do, however, vastly out-populate Lylat, and their past shows that the leaders think little of anyone not of their class or kind.â€

“What do you mean by that?†Slippy asked, seemingly the only one willing to ask questions.

Peppy pressed on. “The Nobles, up until recently, had been preoccupied with their own inner power struggles. This all changed three years ago, when one planet suddenly gained a great deal of power and popularity among the people. That planet was Einzfra. The other families banded together and launched a ruthless assault on the planet. In a very short amount of time, the planet was left unlivable, and countless soldiers and civilians were killed.â€

The old hare shook his head with grief. “Within its own borders, it appeared to be another stunt for power. For those of us outside, it was genocide. These people are not to be fooled with, but they never deal with anyone outside their system, so it may very well be a false alarm.â€

“But it’s not something to take the chance on,†Falco said.

Peppy turned to him and slowly let his gaze drift across the four. After everything, every battle fought and won, seeing and being a part of the bond that made them what they are, he felt incredible pride, but beneath that was an indescribable fear. A fear that only became surfaced the moment he took this position.

Peppy had faith in them as fighters, but he loved the people they were every bit as much.

He suddenly stood up, put his hands behind his back, and taking a militant posture, continued, “Team Starfox, that is all I will say. I will call on you when and if your services are needed.â€

Fox gave a curt nod. “Yes sir. And thank you.â€

Despite the intense warning Peppy conveyed, he was able to smile at Fox’s words just as the signal cut.

Krystal let out a sigh, her eyes fixed on the floor. “Another war so soon...†Her tone was melancholic and her words aimless.

None of the men responded.

~*~

Krystal leaned against the frame of the door, watching over her companion, sitting at the front in Peppy's intended position, his back to her, and staring off into the starlit sky. The only movement in the room came from ROB hammering away at the controls, completely ignoring the pair.

Krystal had always been able to feel the thoughts and emotions of other people, but with Fox, everything was clearer. She could read his heart almost completely, and right now, he was in absolute turmoil.

And with his heart in turmoil, so was hers.

Peppy's words struck Fox deeply. He understood everything his mentor struggled to convey. Peppy just couldn't live with himself if a mission he sent Starfox harmed any of them, and it was a feeling Fox understood, and a feeling he forced aside every battle.

Krystal stared at Fox, unable to bring herself to approach him. There was nothing she could say to ease him. All she could do was try harder as his wing-mate. She wasn't going to let his faith in her be misplaced.

~*~

I stood in the center of my living area of my apartment, watching over the tiny green leaves that had begun to break the soil that filled the flower pots that dotted the room. The window was open, warm and salty air billowing in despite the late hour. I hadn’t changed out of the party dress yet, my mind distracted by the relief I felt seeing the plants start to grow despite the unsuitable environment.

Zoness was famous. While it was once a stunning tropical paradise, its oceans were greatly polluted in the chaos of war. During the decade that followed, the Cornerian government had poured a massive amount of funding and research into the planet’s own to help rebuild and renew the landscape. By now, the environment was rather welcoming, though I’m told it’s still nowhere near the beauty of the past.

The little town I was in, however, had taken so little damage in the first place that it now showed no signs of the savage battles that had marred the planet. It’s just a sweet little coastal town, far off from the tourist trap cities and the salvaged military bases. It was an exceptionally ideal place to hide, and it was also shockingly easy for Andrew to slip in and out without anyone making a fuss.

Zoness, however, was nothing like my home was. The summers were stifling hot, it never snowed even in the dead of winter, and the soil was such a sandy mess that my dear irises couldn’t root.

I didn’t have the chance to take many possessions. My move to here was a blur, but somehow I still had one of the most deeply precious objects from my old life, a special breed of iris flowers.

I can’t remember if I had gotten them or if Andrew was kind enough to bring a few along. All I knew was that I had a few surviving specimens of the black irises that my father had created for his children, all of us.

That was my father for you. He didn’t buy us flowers. He made us flowers. A special mutation of bearded iris reserved for us, and only us. I did everything I could to care for them. They were only proof I had of the time I spent with my family.

My mind flickered back and forth between childhood and the current task. I found myself absently putting on clothing more akin to the old home than the climate of Zoness. I was well beyond thinking clearly at this point.

I was about to kidnap a man, after all.

~*~

Slippy sat in his Arwing, the console cracked open, holding a book filled with mathematics and blueprint notes in one hand, and a small soldering iron in the other. There was an experiment he wanted to try with his ship for a while, and only now with the extra money he had made that night did he have the chance.

His glee with the technology in his hands had forced away any worries over the impending battles. He hummed away as he rewired the controls and jotted down the changes he was making. While they had all made it out in one piece from that horrifying final onslaught on the Aparoid's home world, he had realized that he may be better in a ship more tailored to his personal strengths, now it was up to him to design one.

Falco wandered into the hanger. His gaze was distant, never looking at the busy frog as he climbed into his own Arwing.

“Hey, what's up?†Slippy asked him.

“I'll be back,†Falco responded briskly as the cockpit's windshield snapped shut over him.

“What? Now? Where are you going?â€

Massive clanking rang out as the ship's locks came loose, the protective plasma screening of the hanger thinned, and without any response, the bird's Arwing took off, sending Slippy's notebook and hat flying.

Slippy frowned and shouted, “That'd been bad if we were in space, you know!â€

~*~

I walked along the tracks of the passenger trains, my feet crunching the gravel. A train swooped by, its wind current picking up the end of my scarf, fighting to whisk it away from me. The night sky was dark and cloudy with the tease of rain on this night.

Andrew wasn't here. It was all up to me to take care of this.

“So.â€

A voice leaped out from the darkness. I recognized it, and stopped. Another train rushed by, the light from the windows lighting the area for only a few seconds. He stood in front, one hand on his hip, the other holding the little knife up for me to see it.

“Are you the one who dropped this in my pocket?†he asked in a teasing manner.

I still couldn't tell why he was so gleeful over this, but that was nothing to think about now.

I responded, “I am.â€

He chuckled. Another train came by, and the hand that was on his hip now held up a blaster, pointing in my direction. “One more question. How much am I worth?â€

I blinked. “No money is in this for me.â€

“Well, that's lame!†he scoffed. “What's the point then?â€

I suddenly understood his manner. He was just an arrogant creature. I dropped a blade into my hand, and pointed it at him. “You said one question.â€

“Fine,†he smirked. “Let's dance.â€

Edited by Ellanie

EDIT: Revised chapter three!

STARFOX

Turbulence

Chapter Three

~*~

But she’s so… dainty, he thought, watching the same avian woman from the party approach slowly in the darkness.

Falco shook his head and mumbled, “This is gonna suck.â€

He pulled the ornamental knife from his pack, noting again the way it had cracked apart at the hilt, revealing the etched in coordinates to this very spot, a pretty ingenious place for a scuffle. With the danger of the high speed trains, their flashing light muddling their vision in the dark, and no surveillance cameras for miles it was pretty much perfect.

“So,†he said loudly, holding up the blade for her to see.

Another train blazed passed, lighting the surroundings again. He could see her scarf being whipped up into the air, its blue contrasting the terracotta colored trench coat she covered herself with.

She stopped, her gaze piercing him. He curled his own beak, perplexed.

“Are you the one who dropped this into my pocket?†he asked.

“I am.â€

He couldn't stop himself from chuckling at her deathly serious tone. As another train swept by, the bold blue scarf fluttered about. He pulled out his blaster and pointed it at her. Despite her hardly threatening appearance, she had challenged him.

Then, Falco had a thought. “One more question,†he asked. “How much am I worth?†If a big enough bounty was on him, then maybe even a little woman like her would attempt to earn it.

She blinked. “No money is in this for me.â€

What? he thought, That's disappointing and confusing!

“Well, that's lame!†he scoffed. “What's the point, then?â€

A blade slipped out of her jacket sleeve into her hand, same ceramic-looking material as the one from before, and she took a battle stance, pointing her knife directly at him. “You said one question,†she said, no trace of emotion in her voice.

At the very least, she was taking it seriously, he felt.

“Fine,†he said with a smirk. “Let's dance.â€

~*~

It was pressing midnight on that corner of Zoness. Fox and Krystal lounged over the large sofa that resided in the main living quarters of the new Great Fox II. The vixen was relieved that Fox had relaxed a bit since their conversation with Peppy. She lied across him, her head resting in his lap.

Fox felt tired and bored, flipping absently through the television's signals. Zoness, despite having been nearly returned to its former glory as a gorgeous tropical world, had some pretty terrible TV.

“I guess no one stays inside on this planet,†Fox grumbled tossing the remote aside. He began to tease Krystal's ear.

She sharply winced and bolted upright with a shriek.

“S-sorry!†Fox jerked his hand away. “Did I pull out an ear-ring?â€

She started rubbing the back of her neck, panic taking over her. “No...â€

Fox recognized the look in her eyes. She had that look before, catching some far off cry for help.

He put his arms around her. “What's wrong?†he asked. “Who is it?â€

Wide-eyed and still holding her neck, she asked, “Where's Falco?â€

~*~

Andrew tapped his finger against the wood table top.

“Why did you bring him here?â€

I was occupied with watering my irises. “Where else could I?â€

The monkey grit his teeth, slamming a fist to the table. “Damn it.†He turned toward the open bedroom where I had laid Falco. His hands were cuffed, and he was still in a deep sleep from the tranquilizer Andrew provided. It wasn't like he was going anywhere, and it was relatively easy to sneak him in since the apartment was on the top floor. No one cared or noticed Andrew slipping in and out when he landed on the roof, so why would they with me carrying an unconscious bird in?

I shrugged. “Make your threat,†I said.

“No, not yet. Take him to the Creseeter Base. I already have it set up. They won’t have any aircraft clearance there, so I’ll have an even bigger advantage†His face contorted again into an ugly grin and he hissed, “I'll drag him into the palm of my hand.â€

I placed the small watering can on the table and didn’t say anything.

“Wait, I'm curious. How did you-?â€

“I got behind him,†I cut the ape off as I moved toward the bedroom. “I struck his neck.â€

Andrew blinked, and then briskly left.

I stood in the bedroom doorway, wondering about Andrew's planning, staring at the damaged avian, and feeling awful for him. I found myself thinking about all the things I could’ve done differently. I never had much choice, but what will happen if this works?

How different would Lylat be? How different would he be? Would things change at all?

What would happen if I left?

I knew the answer to that question. I had no support here. I wouldn’t survive long, and surviving was the only thing I had to do. If the only way to keep living was to serve Andrew, then that was my path. It was as simple as that.

Unconsciously, I had moved closer to the man sleeping. His expression was uneasy and the only sound in the hushed apartment was his low, deep breaths. I just as quickly found myself backing away. There was blood staining the collar of his silver coat, and small cuts over his arms. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t noticed them before.

Suddenly, not thinking at all, I found myself urgently removing the jacket, shredding it to get it over his cuffed arms. In my blind flurry, a few of the wounds broke open, and more blood spread on the fabric. Falco grimaced at the movement, but never awoke.

His wounds weren’t severe. Really weren’t much to worry over at all. I didn’t know if I should feel relieved or otherwise.

“Lynette!â€

I practically jumped out of my skin.

“What are you doing?†Andrew growled from the doorway.

I stared at him, my eyes wide, Falco’s torn up and bloodied coat in hand.

“Forgive me,†I said meekly. “I was…†I looked to the shredded fabric. “Here.†I held it out to him.

Andrew looked at me, bewildered.

“For your threat,†I said.

Andrew frowned and snatched it from my hand. “Fine. Now don’t waste any time.â€

“Yes sir.â€

Andrew hurried out, stomping his feet.

I turned back to the bird. I knew then that the feeling I felt when I looked at him. It was regret.

~*~

Slippy had been the one to discover the first clue. Falco had pulled up Zoness air-space coordinates on his comp only moments before taking off. His Arwing was nearby said location, parked without event, close to a railway turnabout on the outer edge of a small port town.

It was Fox, however, that found the remnants of his blaster, cut to pieces as if with a sword, in the gravel among train tracks. Holding the wrecked piece of equipment in his hands, trains rolling by like nothing unusual, he couldn't decide whether it was rage or fear he felt. This kind of thing never happened to Falco! He was better than that!

As he thought this, his communicator blinked to life.

~*~

Sitting in the Creseeter command chamber, Andrew rubbed his thumb across the surface of Falco's wrist communicator, the face of it displaying both the current time where we were on Zoness and the interplanetary standard, essentially disguising it as a simple watch. Andrew moved it back and forth in his hands thoughtfully, anxiously. He knew what he wanted to do, but he was hesitating.

I stood a few feet back from him, trying to keep my attention on the screens that covered the opposite wall, currently showing nothing more than the empty halls and rooms of the dilapidated military stronghold. I could guess what he was thinking. This was the start of his moment. Would he finally validate himself? Would he finally ease the empty hole in his heart after taking revenge?

Andrew chuckled. “What am I waiting for, anyway? Everything is working out so perfectly!â€

I looked back at him, but didn't have much of an answer. “Don't wait anymore.â€

His face flipped between an annoyed frown to a sadistic grin. He pressed a button on the side of the communicator, but before Andrew could speak, and voice pierced through its tiny speaker.

“Falco!â€

It was Fox.

“Falco, answer me!â€

His voice was desperate. Andrew's couldn't resist chuckling.

“....Falco?â€

“Oh,†Andrew began, “he can't answer your call at this moment.â€

“What? Who is-?†Then the horror set in. “Oikonny?!?â€

“Of course,†Andrew said in a calm fashion that betrayed his normal manner.

“Where is Falco!?†Fox demanded, “What have you done!?â€

“He's not far,†Andrew answered. “And I hardly did a thing.â€

I frowned.

Fox growled, “What are you after?â€

“That should be obvious. I'm out to kill you, but killing your dear friends isn't out of the question.â€

“What?!â€

“Oh, Falco isn't dead. Yet, at least,†Andrew chuckled. “I have a few things to ask him, and it's on him whether he lives through it or not.â€

“Oikonny, don't you dare-!â€

“Ah, hold on. I'm not really in it to kill him. Just you,†he snickered, leaping to his feet, “And since I'm such a nice guy, I'm going to leave Creseeter's front door wide open for you to visit. Oh, and it goes without saying that dropping in an army would just not do well for that arrogant bird friend of yours.â€

The line was silent from the other end.

Andrew slammed the communicator to the metal floor, laughing in triumph. “Now,†he proclaimed, grabbing me by the arm. “I'll get to unleash my revenge.â€

I found his glee unnerving, but I didn't have a response.

“Ah, but first, prepare for our guests,†he ordered, “I'm going to go see if that bird has anything interesting to offer.â€

He left the room. I could hear his laugh echoing through the corridors of the dilapidated hanger outside.

Sighing, I looked at the communicator. I stepped up to it, and knelt down to look more closely. Despite Andrew's efforts, it wasn't damaged at all.

Suddenly, the sound of rumbling footsteps, and Fox's voice, composed and beyond the horror Andrew inflicted.

“Slippy, Krystal, prepare to head out! Oikonny's holding Falco prisoner!â€

I could hear both of them gasp.

“Where is he?!†Slippy asked, clearly panicked by the news.

“Look up a place called “Creseeter.†Oikonny is holding him there,†Fox paused. “Krystal, if you pick up anything at all-â€

“I'll tell you right away,†she responded before he could finish. “We'll save him.â€

Unable to listen to it further, I stabbed it. It was time to bring Andrew's dream to fruition, not feel sorry for anyone.

Edited by Ellanie

Very intriguing; this is definitely something I look forward to following up with! I love the suspense and the sort of film-noir style it has about it. I also love the shifting from first person to third person (this is a huge factor as to why Trainspotting is my all-time favorite book). I do have a couple of comments, though...

1) I feel that the chapter where Peppy talks about the plausible threat of the Ansigma could have been much stronger than it was. The build-up was great, but I feel that there wasn't much of a climax in the scene - I would also like to suggest Peppy give a bit more exposition as of who the Ansigmans are and what makes them so threatening to the Lylat System.

2) And in the chapter where the Ansigmans are explained, the exposition felt too much like it came out of a text book, so maybe tweek with it a little bit. But I will be the first to admit that I suffer from this problem, so don't feel bad.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling what the twist regarding the "Girl with the blue scarf" is going to be, but maybe you'll surprise me! Don't let any of these critiques make you think I don't think this is good, because this is a great start!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm...

The plot is intiguing (though I do wonder why Star Fox was hired as bodygards; it doens't seem like their usual line of work at all).

The biggest hinderance I can see in your work right now is a pretty severe case of under-narration. Yes, it's all well and good to take a minimalist approach to your narration, to keep the readers moving, but there comes a point where yoru readers are left wondering "What the heck just happened? Where are we? I don't get it!". That's more or less where I found myself while reading this. I only barely followed along the kidnapping/assassination line, something with Andrew, and a new threat presented to the readers via quasi-textbook excerpt.

Don't let my critique cut you too deep. You've got an interesting plot concept here that deserves a little more meat on the bones you've got presently. You need to flesh out the narration to do that. now go on, and make something out of this.

At first I was a bit confused by what you meant, but upon a reread, I completely understand what you mean! It's too fast, no real transition from point to point, and it is hard to follow. I didn't even realize I was doing that, thank you for pointing it out!

• 4 months later...

Okay, so I've begun the process of cleaning up and rewriting the first chapters. I just never had the chance to sit down and do it, and today I suddenly had the time and drive to do so. Chapter one is completely redone, two nearly, and otherwise I have the first and most of the second act plotted out.

I ended up editing over the old with the new versions.

Either case, the final drafts will be posted on my DA account, as will be some sketching I've done for character designs.

http://paleamethyst.deviantart.com/#/d51owrd

Edited by Ellanie

• 2 weeks later...

The last scene here was painfully difficult to write. I initially wrote the entire thing from Lynette's POV, but Falco came off all wrong. In the end, I bounced it back and forth between the two. It ended up being a bit chaotic, but it conveyed it better, I think.

STARFOX

Turbulence

Chapter Four

~*~

Creseeter was a former Venomian military base. Designed to sit almost entirely underwater, the only sign of it was the small aircraft landing on the surface of the ocean. It was in the northern sectors of Zoness, deep in one of the remaining polluted regions, untouched since the war. The location never saw any direct combat and was simply abandoned after the planet was reclaimed from Andross' forces.

It was designed to be used mostly for storing and manufacturing some of the unique weaponry employed on the watery planet, and Andrew had originally intended to use the supplies left behind for the upcoming battle. Time, however, had rendered most of the various tech and weaponry beyond use, aging accelerated by the toxic environment.

The place stank of rust and salt, like the smell of blood, and even a shrike like me found it borderline intolerable. Andrew was too occupied by the task at hand to realize how bad the conditions were in the place. Though, if he wanted to bury StarFox, this was a good place to do it.

I walked down one of the corridors on a center level of the base. The once bright metallic walls were discolored and rusted, and many of the overhead lights were long burnt out. The sound of my footsteps echoed back and forth, emphasizing how empty the place was.

The end of the hall opened up to a massive and equally empty warehouse, assumedly used for large combat submarines or similar carriers. The walls could mechanically open, letting water rush in, and allow said subs to enter and exit rather freely.

I was on a walkway suspended a few stories above the steel floor, leaning over the railing. It was obvious why Andrew wanted his fight here. There was plenty of open space for a proper firefight, and the upper railings gave me advantage to step in from above. There was also the option of opening the gates, if Andrew became that desperate.

I sighed. I didn’t want to do this, but I owed my life to Andrew.

But then I began to wonder, what did he plan to do after all this? He had never once mentioned any plans beyond tonight’s battle. What would become of me?

While I knew he wanted me to stay here in position until the time of battle arrived, the thoughts disturbed me enough to feel urged to ask him.

~*~

Andrew stood outside the doorway to Falco’s cell, staring through the bars at the unmoving prisoner. He was hesitating again, unable to think of how to go about this.

The ape placed his hand on the handle of the rusted door.

What keeps stopping me? he thought, finding he had little will to proceed.

“Andrew,†said his partner’s voice, quietly echoing in the barren corridors.

He turned to his left to see the cinnamon colored avian girl walking toward him. The ape released his hand from the door, not sure whether to feel relieved or annoyed.

“What is it?†he asked.

“I need to speak with you,†she said flatly.

“Tch,†he muttered. “Make it quick.â€

“What do you plan to do once you’ve won?â€

Her words struck him. As he turned back to the hostage, Andrew’s face twisting into anger. “Take Lylat in my uncle’s name.â€

She pondered that. “How?â€

“I raised an army before to fight Corneria, and it was only StarFox that stopped us. If I kill them, not only will my dream’s biggest obstacle be no more, I’ll be feared and respected. People will flock to my side, and Corneria won’t have their precious heroes to protect their flawed ideals.â€

Andrew’s face relaxed as he turned to his companion. “Thanks to Corneria’s laws, someone like you isn’t even considered alive.â€

There was a small flicker of pain across her face.

“I want all the great advancements my uncle made be what shapes the future, and not anything else. I don’t care what it takes to make that happen.â€

Andrew removed the blaster from hip and reached for the prison door’s handle.

Startled, the girl grabbed his outstretched arm. “Don’t!†she shouted.

“It doesn’t matter!†he shouted back. “He’s served his purpose. He can just die.â€

“Do not kill him,†she said in a voice so hard it stopped the ape cold. “Don’t give Fox a stronger reason to fight you.â€

Jerking away from the woman, Andrew scowled. “You don’t get it at all. They all deserve to suffer for what they’ve done.â€

“But it was that kind of anger that killed your uncle.â€

Her argument sent Andrew recoiling. “Just… do what you want,†he grumbled as he put the blaster back in its holster and stomped off, leaving the avian woman alone with the prisoner, again.

~*~

Fox jumped out of his Arwing and watched as Krystal landed beside him on the tiny landing pad. She quickly jumped out and to his side, Fox pulling up map information on his head-set.

“Slippy, any luck?†he asked the frog through the communicator.

“Yeah,†he answered, “There’s an open entrance from the bottom. It looks like the Blue Marine will slip in fine.â€

“Good, then that’s the plan. Slippy, you and I will search for Oikonny. We’ll meet in the middle.â€

“Okay, Fox,†the frog answered.

Then, turning to the vixen beside him, “Krystal, find Falco. ROB has the infirmary ready, so take him to the nearest exit as soon as you get to him.â€

She gave a nod.

“Remember, he’s baiting us,†Fox said gravely. “We don’t know what to expect when we get in there. We have to save Falco. That’s our only priority.â€

~*~

I wondered how much longer things were going to keep up like this.

I couldn’t see inside the cell as I was too short to see through the barred window, but I wanted to check on the man inside. I knew it wasn’t necessary, and I was probably better off just leaving him, but Andrew did say I could do what I wanted this time.

I pulled the handle and loosened the door, both creaking and screeching with decay. Looking inside, I was shocked to see its occupant looking back at me, his back against the wall, legs pulled up on the bed, one knee drawn to his chest, arms still cuffed behind his back. Overall, he looked casual and disinterested, his heavily lidded eyes blinking slowly.

“Oikonny, huh?†he mused in his low voice. “You aim high.â€

I was too bewildered to take offense.

~*~

Falco stared at her from his perch. The dim lighting in the hall silhouetted her startled figure as she peeked around the opened steel door.

“Don’t look so surprised,†he smirked. “I couldn’t forget that screeching voice. What on earth makes you want to stick with him?â€

There was a moment of silence before she finally asked, her voice markedly soft spoken, “Do you think I want to?â€

His right eyebrow shot up. “What? Then why are you even here?â€

“Because,†she said slowly, turning to leave.

“Wait, hold on.â€

She stopped. “What?â€

Falco didn’t have anything else to say, but knew he had to keep her there. He had to buy time, but he had no clue where to begin against the strange woman.

Well, he did have one idea, but he hated it. He sighed.

“I feel like I should thank you, or something, but… not really.â€

It was a terrible start to try to appeal to her, but, intrigued by his comment, she turned back to stare at him directly. “Explain,†she said curtly.

Damn, he thought. It worked.

“You could’ve killed me then,†Falco lamented, now embracing the act he was putting on. “I didn’t stand a chance in a brawl with you.â€

Though, it was all the truth. He had so grossly underestimated her. He was only able to fire one shot before she used a knife to render his blaster useless, and from that point, all he could do was dodge and block.

The rest was obvious.

~*~

You call that a brawl? I thought to myself.

He continued, “But you didn’t kill me. Hell, I’m barely scratched.â€

I grimaced, remembering the panic attack I had earlier. Apparently noting that, Falco turned his head as if examining me, but then he let out a chuckle, shaking his head, which thoroughly confused me.

“I guess Oikonny wants you to back him up in a fight with Fox,†he said while tapping his foot on the steel wall. “I’ve seen Fox stomp guys way worse than him, but against you…â€

~*~

Fox might not walk away, Falco continued in thought.

He felt a small shift in the cuffs over his wrists.

Looking thoughtful, the avian girl crossed her arms and leaned on the doorframe. “I have no ill will toward any of you,†she said, flatly and frankly.

It ticked Falco off, but he had to stay in character now.

“That just makes it worse,†he sighed, feeling a click around one of his wrists, his still tapping foot to hide the sound from her.

“How so?â€

“Cause that doesn’t make any sense!†he complained. “You don’t care about Oikonny, and don’t have a reason to hate us. What are you even fighting for?â€

Her rose colored eyes fell upon the rusty floor, not giving him an answer.

~*~

I had a reason for working with Andrew. I owed it to him. He had been caring for me this whole time, hiding me. I was alive only because-

“You’re a hired gun,†he said, breaking me from the thought.

“That’s wrong,†I responded.

He tapped his foot faster. “Then he’s blackmailing you.â€

For one reason or another, that hit me. Could that even be? But Andrew guarded me and all I’ve had to do is…

“I have no choice.†My voice was weak.

~*~

And that was it.

“Sure you do,†Falco said, stopping his fidgeting motions.

The handcuffs cracked, freeing his sore wrists. He pulled up his arms and tossed the handcuffs to the floor, the crashing reverberating violently in the metal room.

Shocked and disturbed, the girl took a stance as if ready to defend herself, but Falco made threatening motion, instead simply standing up and looking at the woman while rubbing his sore wrists.

“Ugh,†he grimaced, feeling light headed now that he stood.

The girl took a half step back, showing signs of panic. “What do you-“

“You know,†he cut her off, “If you leave now, the only one who’ll take the fall is Oikonny.â€

“But... but I can’t,†she stammered, moving another step out of the cell.

“Tch! Grow a backbone!†he shouted at her. “Just get the hell out! Unless you do have a good reason to fight on his side, take the chance.â€

~*~

“Fox is going to kill him,†he finished, “So, wouldn’t you prefer being off the hook?â€

Falco had said it so matter-of-factly, but was he actually right?

Intimidated, I took a few more steps to back completely out of the cell. He didn’t make any attempt to follow, only staring my way with an indecipherable gaze. With panic growing, I hit the opposite wall in the hall.

Finally stepping out, he immediately turned to the left, quietly lamenting to himself his lack of a gun and the low temperature, as if I didn’t exist at all.

With more space between us, I ran the other way, and immediately after, I remembered what happened to Falco’s coat.

As for chapter 5, it's time for the showdown!

I think I tried reading this a long while back, but I didn't make it too far in. You've probably updated this since then, since this time I read the whole thing in one sitting, I'm sure that's a sign that you're improving. It still looks like the story is a bit fast paced, but I'm keeping up with the plot., so it gets the job done well enough. I'm sure the whole Ansigma System plot will be expanded on later in the story, so good luck on getting there, and some more good luck on the next chapter too :-)

Guest BlueRaccoon

This is a great piece of work all together. Very well thought of. I just now read all four of the parts here. I got kinda thrown off in the fourth part when Lynette was mentioned using both first and third person view in the fourth part, but it just really adds some definition to the story. You're a pretty good writer. I hope you write some more in the future. I'm hooked.

Thank you for the compliments!

I'm actually working on the next chapter now, but it got a bit sidetracked by my getting a puppy, and a puppy needs a lot of attention. Heehee. I'm hoping to get it done in the next week.

Woohoo! Finally feel myself hitting the homestretch of the 1st Movement. Enjoy!

STARFOX

Turbulence

Chapter Five

~*~

Fox struggled to fight the urge to gag against the putrid air, the smell of decay, pollution, and death too much for his strong nose to tolerate. While his body seemed keen on the idea of vomiting, his mind refocused on his fallen friend's desperate situation.

He didn't have much of a knack for stealth, but he moved as steadily and as quietly as the metal floors would allow. Staring at the map through his eyepiece, the vector relayed his position along with Krystal's and Slippy's. Each moved at a much quicker pace than he, running along the staircases that lined the outer rims of the floors, and it quickly dawned on him that neither faced any resistance.

Could Oikonny possibly be working alone?

"I'm not seeing anything on radar," he remarked in his ear piece, swallowing hard after the statement.

"Me neither," Slippy responded, the reception a touch grainy.

There was a silence, both waiting for Krystal, until, urgently, "Fox, I... I can't find him! I can't sense anything strong enough to find him!"

Fox felt his stomach twist into a harder knot. Gasping a breath and gritting his teeth, he forced the turmoil down. Fox wouldn't let himself believe what that implied. "You can't sense anything? No one else?"

Fox could see the violet mark that symbolized Krystal stop on his map.

"There's... something," she said, worriedly. "But, it's strange. I keep losing sight of it, as if it's flickering and far away..."

"Slippy," Fox snapped through the communicator, "Forget Oikonny! Help Krystal!"

~*~

I’m just a coward, time and time again.

I had been given the opportunity to leave, to escape and run away. To not have to fight for broken ideals for anyone, to just hide away.

I ran away from that bird, guilt and regret boiling over. I knew why Andrew kept me around all along, but I had no other option! I couldn’t go!

I was too afraid of Lylat, and too afraid of what would happen to me if the wrong person discovered who I really was. At least with Andrew, I knew that as long as I did as I was told, I would be safe from that terrible possibility, but I didn’t want to fight against these people!

What else can I do? I thought, sinking against the wall, rust smearing across my long coat. Andrew is all I have, but if Falco is right…

“Hey.†A light voice came from behind.

I shuddered in place, knowing the voice but not knowing how to receive it.

“I saw you,†she said thoughtfully, “at the party.â€

Her footsteps clacked against the metal floor, loudly, too close to me.

“Are you alright?†she asked, voice drenched with concern.

I didn’t move. She was already practically leaning over me.

“How did you get here? You need to escape before-â€

I snapped out a blade, and turned, striking her blaster squarely, her shrieking at the impact, stunning her enough to toss the gun. She quickly righted herself, however, leaping backward and staring at me with turquoise eyes.

“Why is everyone always telling me to run?†I asked, weakly.

I watched her body ease as I stumbled to my feet, her attention on the blaster as it slid across the floor down the dilapidated hall.

I wouldn’t let myself panic, but for Krystal to be here and for her to be on the path toward the cell we had held Falco was a dangerous omen. They had gotten here too quickly, and I still hadn’t made it back to Andrew. Whether I agreed with him or not didn’t erase everything he had done so far to help me, and this woman was his enemy.

“We don’t need to fight,†she said, breaking me out of thought. “I think that… you don’t have much drive to fight here.â€

This time, I didn’t let the comment bother me. “No, but what I want isn’t important.â€

She looked confused by my statement. "But, why would you say that?"

I stared at her, unflinching. "Because I have a duty to perform, and you're in the way."

Krystal’s eyes widened. "That flicker again, it's coming from you."

There was a touch of wonder to her voice, but not understanding, or caring, about the nonsense she was blabbering about, I released another blade to my hand, and held it up.

"Move," I said fiercely.

Her face fell, a hand moving to her chest. "You need to leave here."

How frustrating! It was the same as that jerk!

"I can help you escape, but please," she pleaded, "help me find my friend."

My hand suddenly felt unsteady. "I won't desert my duty." Not again.

Krystal blinked, her sad face unchanged. Her gaze drifted to her blaster, far from her reach, before letting out a slow, thoughtful breath.

She then reached behind her back, pulling out what appeared to be a metal pipe. It had a circular, green, glass-like orb on each end, metal rings holding them in place. With a snap of her wrist, I watched it telescope out to a full staff as long as she was tall. She shifted her feet and, taking the staff with both hands, dropped into a low and threatening stance.

"I would rather not fight with you, but will if I have to.â€

Not speaking, I stepped from the wall to face her.

“I warn you,†she added with a confident smile, “when it comes to this, I'm better than even Fox."

I didn't care.

~*~

Andrew stood on an upper platform in the empty warehouse, staring expectantly at the open gate of the lower floor. He was aggravated that he didn't have Lynette carry some form of communicator, but he had no time now to go hunting for her, as his target was just moments away.

Just as the thought finished, he watched the man rush in, blaster at the ready, intensely focused ahead. The ape felt instantly overwhelmed. Right there, he thought, I could do it right now. I can avenge Uncle Andross!

So why am I hesitating?

Fox stopped, quickly looked left and right, and then turned to run back the way he came.

Andrew, realizing the moment was now slipping by, impulsively shouted "Fox McCloud!"

Fox, attention caught, looked straight up at him and in the same motion, pointed his blaster and fired. Barely seeing the move, Andrew jumped to dodge, nearly throwing himself over the railing. He let out a stunned sigh as the spark of the blast impacted off the ceiling.

Fox let out a grunt. "I have no time to listen to any rant you've got," he growled. "Where’s Falco? Tell me now, or my next shot won't miss."

Despite the threat’s sting, Andrew remembered the stained pile of fabric at his feet and smiled. He straightened up, dusted the rust off his pants, and composed himself.

"Don't worry," he began, "I don't have a thrilling speech prepared for you."

Fox didn't react.

"But I do have a small present that your beloved comrade left behind." Andrew tossed out the jacket in Fox's direction.

Fox jumped expectantly. He watched the item fluttering through air, slowly drifting to the floor. Despite Andrew's efforts, it still landed too distant from Fox to recognize it. The ape, however, didn't seem to care, now relishing every second, only shifting his attention long enough to reach for a remote hidden in his pocket.

~*~

Krystal lunged forward. Despite the tight quarters, I slipped past, moving to pierce her shoulder. She reacted, barely knocking it aside with the opposite end of the staff, all while spinning around for another strike. It slammed into the ground, ringing out a deafening crash, but again, she swung back around for a second strike, slamming into the wall as she missed.

She was talented at this, but I was much faster than she was. I produced more blades and with a swift motion, flung them toward her. She gasped, sidestepping into the wall, one blade managing to tear through the body armor that covered her lower arm above her wrist.

She shrieked with pain, unthinkingly pulling the knife out and tossing it aside. I found myself staring at the wound for the moments she spent recoiling.

Don’t stop, yet, I thought. I pulled a new blade out in each hand, dashing forward.

Krystal blocked me, able to hold me back even with the new injury. She kicked off the wall, knocking me off balance, but it gave me the chance to hit her shoulder. Not stopping, she swung forward, hitting me in the chest with enough force to throw me back off of her.

I caught myself, suddenly feeling my blue scarf unwrap itself from me, watching it frame her in my view as I was forced away. She had such intensity about her, riled up with adrenaline and focus, and yet, I fought without feeling anything at all.

Then her focus snapped away, her eyes darting past me.

“Wait!! Slippy!!†she screamed.

Then a terrible, shocking, hammer of pain in my head, sending the whole world into a spinning, deep blackness, my body hitting the ground the moment my scarf did.

~*~

Fox found himself inching forward, feeling Andrew's disgusting grin burning as he watched the canine’s movements. His headset showed no marker to indicate it as a threat, so he inched closer, one ear to the ape overhead.

Then it started to come in view, a silver and red coat, long, flared-out sleeves, and a large collar. Confused, Fox inched further.

It looks torn up. Why?

Wait, that’s not red, is that…?

Then, he saw the familiar emblem on the sleeve.

It was like the world stopped.

No air moved, no blood moved. Only Andrew’s growing smile.

Fox took a sharp breath, his grip on the blaster tightening.

“Feel that pain?†Andrew asked, “I want to see you feel that. That horror. That disbelief. I took something away from you. Just like you did to me.â€

Fox swallowed. “I said,†he snarled, “I didn’t have time for you.â€

Edited by Ellanie

Guest BlueRaccoon

This is very good. I'm actually struggling to come up with some criticism. There was one part in there:

"Then a terrible, shocking, hammer of pain in my head, sending the whole would into a spinning, deep blackness, my body hitting the ground the moment my scarf did."

I think you meant to put 'world' instead of 'would.' That's about it, though. I'm really enjoying your story.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything moves so fast when I try to write action! Even more than usual. Either way, I've been itching to write most of the events here for as long as the idea's been in my head, so I feel a bit relieved right now.

As per usual, please enjoy. :-)

STARFOX

Turbulence

Chapter Six

~*~

Slippy struggled to see Krystal’s trembling figure in the dark hall, his blaster still pointed where the avian girl stood, her body now silent and still on the floor. Krystal let out a quiet whimper, lines of red running down her arms.

Ignoring the downed enemy, Slippy dashed up, taking her shaking hand to look at the injury. “You okay?†he asked, but she didn’t answer. “This needs to be bandaged now,†he continued, “I don’t have a medical pack on me, so you should head back and take care of yourself.â€

“It doesn’t hurt,†her voice was little more than a whimper. She pulled her hand back, moving to clutch her staff. She took a deep breath and forced a weak smile. “We still have to find Falco.â€

Despite her words, Slippy’s worry was obvious even without Krystal’s powers.

“Then, we’ll stick together,†he said, “in case another assassin shows up.â€

Krystal felt a sting of pain in her heart, but she buried it fast. In Slippy’s mind, he just saved her from defeat or worse, and that poor girl that he shot was left an empty, nameless victim.

~*~

Fox could feel his eyes burn and a snarl form on his lips. He turned to look up at the Andrew, his expression still fixed into a gleeful smile, a whirlpool of conflicting emotion spinning between them.

“That face!†Andrew squealed, “That look on your face!â€

He continued laughing as he began skipping backwards up the side of the over-hanging platform, still staring at Fox while moving to the nearest exit. “Don’t worry, I promise you and your friends will all be together soon!â€

Fox, snapping out of his state, noticed an object in Andrew’s hand.

“I was going to fight you, but why bother when this is much easier.â€

With a timely press on the remote in his hands, Andrew slipped from sight, the floor giving a violent shake followed by the sound of rushing water and twisting metal.

Fox had little time to react. Water came from every angle, rapidly rising around his feet, the shredded jacket getting ripped away by the current just as he took in a deep breath, shutting his eyes tight.

Andrew watched. The dilapidated engines that controlled the walls only pulled them down a few feet, but under the pressure of an ocean, that was plenty to send thousands of gallons in at once. Above the chaos, walking casually through the safety of an upper pathway door, Andrew looked back, and admired the waterfall of dirty water.

“This isn’t how I imagined, but I really don’t care anymore,†he shrugged. “Farewell, my nemesis.â€

Next to the open doorway was a small console. Andrew tapped a few keys and the engines that powered the doors grinded, but they didn’t move. He tapped the code in again, the doors giving the same grind, and again not closing. Water suddenly reached over the upper deck, quickly racing to his boots.

Starting to panic, Andrew banged his fist against the console. It cracked and buzzed in defiance before finally starting their struggle to shut. Seeing success, he turned and began to run down the hall, away from the rising water trap.

A horrid, metallic crack rang in the hall from behind, immediately followed by a pained rasp and series of coughs. Glancing back, Andrew could see Fox struggling to come to his feet, spitting out the putrid water, his back against the wall as the doors finally slide shut.

“Impossible!!†the ape shrieked.

Fox pulled up his blaster, still somehow in his grip, and shakily pointed it towards the ape.

Andrew just turned and ran.

Fox stumbled forward behind, grabbing at his headset, the eyepiece broken off.

~*~

The rumble stirred me awake. My head gave a terrible pound. The lights over me were flickering as every surface rumbled and rattled. The hall was filled with a few voices.

“What’s that sound?†one said.

“Dunno,†the other said. “Wait…â€

I lied still.

“Hey Fox!â€

They hadn’t noticed me.

“Fox?â€

“Guys!†a third voice said, it mixed with a cough, sounding tinny and grainy.

“What’s happened?†one of the clearer voices asked.

“Get out of here!†The tinny one shouted, desperate and choked. “The base is flooding!â€

It sent the two near me into a panic. “Fox, but what about-“

“Retreat!†he shouted, the signal cracking with static.

“Wait, we’ll come help you!â€

“No,†he coughed again, “It’s too-†and then it snapped to silence.

I moved my head. The two were blurry and still figures, and I couldn’t focus to see much detail on either.

“He, he’s moving toward us, we have to help him!†the shorter one suddenly said, grabbing the other by the hand.

I shut my eyes. I remembered Andrew. I needed to get back to the warehouse, but I couldn’t move.

~*~

Fox’s chest hurt to the point he could hardly breath, but whether it was heartache or a few broken ribs was something he refused to think over. Adrenaline fueled and going off his honed instinct, he after warning his friends, he could now only think of getting to Oikonny, and putting a bullet into him.

He could hear his target’s footsteps a flight of steps below him. Once in sight, he fired a few shots, but he was only able to graze the ape’s leg.

Andrew didn’t stop, only tripping forward a few strides before turning down another flight of stairs.

Where was Lynette? Andrew thought with rage.

Hitting the bottom, he swung open a door and raced through as Fox closed in. He didn’t look back as he slammed the door behind, all before colliding with a figure on the floor. Hearing Fox pull on the door, he jumped to his feet.

Realizing who the damaged one before him was, he grabbed her by the back of her coat, ripping fabric as he jerked her to her feet.

“Ah!†she yelped. “Andrew!?â€

“Shut up, you useless piece of dirt!†he shouted before he lifted her up.

~*~

In the blur, his rage frightened me.

He jerked me hard, the hammer in my head gaining strength as he dragged me up off my feet, everything spinning.

“Wait!†someone shouted.

Andrew chuckled. It was different than his normal laugh, somehow. He jumped back a few strides with me.

The door he entered from swung open again, a new figure rushing out, orange and green and huffing.

“Fox!â€

He stopped in his tracks at the voice, coming from one of the two from before, and turned to look at them. “What are you doing?†he asked, stunned and gasping. “Wait, Krystal, what happened to you?â€

Feeling some sense return, I realized who the three were.

“It’s nothing!†she responded, “Are you okay?â€

“Shut up! All of you!†Andrew screamed. His hand clamped my beak shut and something cold pressed hard against my throat. “Drop your weapons, or she’s dead.â€

What!?

“She’s alive?†Slippy asked, dumbfounded.

Andrew’s betraying me?

Krystal dropped her staff to the floor. “Fox, she’s innocent!â€

Slippy shuddered in place, looking at the woman. “Wait, what do you mean?â€

“Now!†Andrew growled, pressing the blaster harder.

I let out a cry of pain.

Fox, horror flashing on his face before twisting into rage, let the blaster slip from his grasp.

Slippy, reluctant, weakly spoke. “What about Falco?â€

Fox choked, his fists balling, body shaking.

Slippy let his rifle hit the floor, Andrew breaking into that strange laughter.

“Now, be good and stay right there,†he chuckled, his grip on me still too tight for me to breath. “That face of yours,†he said to Fox. “Inflicting pain on you is too much fun, but this has to end for what you did to Emperor Andross.â€

“Andross killed my father,†Fox snarled, breathing hard

“And you killed him, my uncle,†Andrew shot back, giving me a shake.

I looked at Fox, twitching with fury and grief, but not moving an inch. Andrew pulled the gun from my throat and pointed it at Fox. I closed my eyes.

He should’ve just shot us when he had the chance, I thought. I’m sorry, everyone.

Then a sharp crack in my ear, Andrew making a gag as the shot fired, his grip on me gone and we both tumbled. Fox let out a yelp as we went down, Krystal and Slippy rushing to him.

“What?†Andrew’s disbelieving voice was rendered a hiss, blood gurgling from a hole on his neck. “I failed, even now?â€

“No,†I whispered. “You got him.â€

His face relaxed, and his body slid off of me.

Everything had happened in a flash.

I stared at Fox as he moved his hand to cover the graze on his shoulder, his body rocked with confusion. He looked up, eyes wide, his companions following suite.

“Falco?†he gasped.

I looked behind, just barely able to see the silhouette of the bird, Krystal’s blaster in hand as the lights flickered overhead.

I blinked and fainted.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BlueRaccoon

Hey again. Tell me if I post too much here. I just really love your story. You have really good detail here and the action feels so real whenever I read it. Also, the emotions are so real and it really gives you a kinda psycological look inside the characters. On a smaller note, I just love how Falco came in and saved the day in that last part. Nothing bad to say at all. You're good.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no such thing as posting too much!

I had a hard time getting this one completed. It's so much dialogue.

STARFOX

Turbulence

Chapter Seven

~*~

At first, I couldn’t move.

The sky over me was hazy with the smoke billowing out over the cliff. I couldn’t recall what took me from standing up there to looking at it from below. I was too dizzy and confused to understand the obvious.

Every fiber of my body felt sore, maybe from the impact, maybe from the cold, but staying still was the only course of action my muscles were willing to take. I thought I could see faces looking down, inching over the ledge from beneath the thickening ceiling of smoke. I didn’t say anything to them, for some reason not wanting to, just knowing that I shouldn’t. There was more movement among them, before the each pulled back, leaving me be.

Soon, I began to notice that the air carried an odor as if something was being roasted, and there were frequent bouts of popping noises. The snow was growing heavier, its white blanket seemingly in battle with the black smoke. It felt numbingly cold.

Steadily, the smell became more putrid and the annoying sounds had faded. I moved my arm, now responsive, reaching it up to touch my forehead, the pain becoming more focused behind the bone there. I pulled back, seeing that the tips of my fingers had been dyed red, but still not able to comprehend any of it.

A thick, black glove took my hand, startling me, but I quickly noticed that it was attached to a male ape leaning down beside my spot on the ground.

“You don’t want to be left here to die, do you?†he asked.

It was a ridiculous question. “Of course not.†My voice was frail and hoarse.

He then lifted me up in his arms, and I drifted off somewhere.

~*~

Fox gave a quick nod to the two soldiers posted on each side of the door, neither giving so much as a glance to him, but one reached down and turned the handle of the door, urging him to enter. Inside, its two occupants had both relaxed into their usual selves. Falco was leaned back in the raised bed, eyes closed, arms up under his head, tapping one foot absently. Krystal was sitting upright in the other, legs crossed, looking up from a small tablet on her lap long enough to give Fox a smile.

Despite the normalcy of the two, hospitalization was never in any mission plan. The bandages covering the arms of both of them combined the white washed walls and smell of sterilizing cleaners quickly overpowered any relief Fox had felt upon seeing them. Fox himself was returning from having x-rays done on his chest, confirming that he was left with three fractured ribs.

After trying to report the events and ask for aid on the injured hostage, Peppy instead demanded them all go straight to this very hospital for their own safety and to quickly be with them. The old hare wanted to make sure they received a proper reward, and judging by his tone over the com link, a proper scolding.

Fox wanted to sigh, but despite the pain medication he had been given, doing so meant a shock of agony. He eased into a recliner on the opposite corner of the room, tucked beside the shaded window.

"Not broken," he grumbled.

"Well, that's good," Krystal responded, looking up from her book. "You'll be back up and running much sooner."

Fox nodded. "How are both of you?"

"Just needed some stitching," Krystal said. "Not as bad as you thought." She winked.

Fox smiled at the jab. "What about you, Falco?"

"Same." His response was curt, indifferent.

Unsatisfied, Fox asked again. "Really, Falco, how are you doing?"

"Fine."

The second time was just a frustrated grunt. Fox turned Krystal, who gave him a worried shrug. Fox scratched his chin.

"We're not… mad at you."

Falco's eyes broke open, staring at the white ceiling.

Fox found himself wanting to take a deep breath, but he stopped himself before a new surge of pain. "I should apologize to you."

Not moving to look, Falco cocked an eyebrow.

"I fell into Oikonny's trap, too. He had me convinced that he had killed you, and I nearly lost it. I should've known better than to doubt you, and call his bluff. I'm sorry."

Falco sighed. "That's not an issue. Though, if you it makes you feel better, I’ll accept the apology."

Fox relaxed. Falco’s attitude was still intact, at least.

Krystal, twisting around to face the avian, asked, "What's wrong, then?"

Falco's face screwed into thought and discomfort. "It was," he said slowly, "that woman."

Fox's ears perked at the unfamiliar statement. "That avian girl Andrew held hostage? Since when have you-"

Falco threw his hand up, stopping Fox, "It wasn't Oikonny that caught me," he said, sitting up and crossing his arms. "It was that woman."

Fox blinked. "What?"

"Oikonny forced her to do it. I’m pretty sure he has some sort of dirt on her, but that’s all I know."

"Then I was right," Krystal said, bringing her hand to her chin.

Falco gave her a glance, recalling the events. He suddenly reached under his bed for one of his boots. Fox stood up and stepped over, curiously, watching as Falco produce what appeared to be a knife made of ceramic, carved with fine detail.

Falco stared at it for a moment before handing it to Fox. “This,†the avian said, “is what started it.â€

Fox took it, examining the elaborate floral designs that covered the blade. "But, what is this?"

"Oh," Krystal exclaimed, "That looks like what she fought me with!"

Fox perked again, looking back and forth between the two. "I don't understand, Oikonny grabbed her like a shield, but she's the one that cut you two up?"

Falco gave a reluctant shrug. Krystal nodded.

"That bird-girl stopped me at the party, and was just really strange, but she managed to slip that into my suit coat pocket without me even noticing."

As Falco spoke, Fox felt the hilt of the blade come free, and noticed the numbers carved in where the material was now exposed. He recognized them as coordinates.

"I flew where she wanted," Falco continued, "thinking that she was just some lowly assassin or something, just something exciting, no trouble at all." Falco stopped, reminded of the bandages that were covering his arms. "I was wrong." He let out a sigh.

"I fought her later," Krystal began, "hoping that if I beat her, it would give her a chance to get away from Oikonny, though I didn't know why she was with him, either."

Fox soaked it in. "But how did either of you know that he was forcing her?"

Falco tapped a finger on his knee, thoughtfully. "She kept saying, 'Nothing is in this for me,' and 'I have no choice,' so it wasn't like she was blindly loyal."

Krystal nodded. "Oikonny had her scared, so he must've had something major to blackmail her with her, or worse."

Fox turned back to the knife. “Then, we don’t know anything about her.â€

Taking back the knife, Falco added. “Just make sure CDF knows she’s not the bad guy.â€

"Oh..."

The three startled at Slippy’s sudden appearance. He released a depressing sigh.

"I feel terrible now," he spoke as if on the brink of weeping. "I did something awful."

~*~

I had been shot.

Officially, I had been placed in ICU, but I was standing, untouched, at the window. There was a small amount of dried blood in the feathers around the right side of my face, tiny drops dotting the shoulder of my sundress. My jacket and scarf were missing, I assumed thrown out. A patient gown was neatly folded on the bed along with a few blankets and a pillow.

Each doctor and nurse that came through had offered the same explanation. "It's a miracle you're still standing," they've said, "but we need to run some tests to make sure you're okay."

And each time I refused, and I had long gone from being polite about it.

Through the window I could see the sunset casting its vibrant colors a small town and the rippling ocean waves, but through my pounding head, my vision felt uneven and unfocused. I wondered and worried if my eyes had been damaged somehow, and while resting seemed like a fine idea, I couldn't risk letting any of these doctors or nurses get near me. I just wanted to go home.

A sweet looking pink frog entered, she being the fifth person to attempt to get me to cooperate. Her uniform was a bit different from the rest, her scrub being a heavy looking material, dark blue with gold piping, and the emblem that adorned her chest showed that she was medic on some level, but it had an extra marker beneath it reading, "CDF Volunteer."

She was the first to come in such garb. I didn't know if her military presence meant that I was under special protection or in custody, and I wasn't willing to ask.

She brought with her a small cart with a few trays of food. "You need to eat something," she said, in a tone as equally sweet as her appearance. "You didn't say what kind of diet you need or like, so I brought you a little of everything."

"I'm not hungry," I grumbled.

"Maybe, but if you don't eat now, you’ll just be hungry later, and they just made all this fresh."

"I'll eat when I get home."

She bit her lip.

"We can't let you leave until we rule out any injuries," she said, tapping a finger against the cart's handle. "Getting hit in the head that hard is no joke! The longer we wait, the less likely we'll have the time to help you if you need it."

"How long is long enough?" I sighed.

The pink frog stared at me unflinchingly, pulling the lid off of one of the plates of food. "Impact trauma can lead to a variety of injuries, and getting hit in the head is the worst kind. It could be anything from a concussion, which you clearly have on some level, or something far more severe, like internal bleeding."

She took the plate covered with colorful pasta to her nose, giving a light grimace at the scent of it. "Good Avian food is a bit much for me. I grew up on an Aquas diet," she bantered.

I turned back to the scenery.

"You're not going to be leaving until we can prove that you're okay to be released." Without me responding, she continued, "Unless you want to attempt the jump out the window, you have to have a test done."

I looked down. "How high is it?"

She snickered. "Haha, it’s four stories up!"

I could walk away from that.

~*~

"No, no, Slippy!" Krystal said, jumping to her feet to walk up to him. "You were only trying to help me!"

"But that girl is so badly hurt because of me," the frog lamented.

"No, Krystal's right," Fox reassured. "Don't blame yourself for what happened. You saw Krystal in danger, and you went in to save her."

Slippy fiddled with his hat. "I know, but I still feel like I messed this one up."

Suddenly exasperated, Falco groaned. "Seriously, Slippy!"

Stunned by the outburst, Slippy shrank back, ready for Falco's wrath.

Instead, he just added, “Tch, since when was back up Krystal a bad thing?" He finished with reclining back on the bed, arms back behind his head, saying, “You should stay this reliable.â€

A stunned silence fell over the frog. Kyrstal and Fox shared a glance, equally as surprised.

Composing himself, Slippy stepped up to the end of the bird's bed. "Falco, are you sure you're okay?" he asked. "You never compliment me."

Falco's only response was a vain effort to put his clawed heel into Slippy's face.

~*~

That frog girl shouted from overhead. I landed hard, but jumped to my feet and ran. A siren began wailing and people began running to catch me, but I was faster than all of them, immediately putting enough distance to disappear between the darkening alleyways of the seaside town.

I thought again about the incompetence of Cornerian guard, and about how much the irises will need watering when I got to the apartment.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BlueRaccoon

Hello, again. I finally got a chance to read this part and I thought it was pretty good. The dialogue is very believable and the hospital scenes seemed pretty real. You used some very good descriptive detail. The only real problem in this piece lies within the grammer mistakes/typos. I found at least 5, but I'm not gonna just list them all. That would just make me look even more nit-picky. Anyway, good story. Can't wait to see what happens next.