Sony proving that Hollywood is dead

Rusakov

Yes. It's a movie of emojis. It's not a prank, it's happening for real. And Patrick Stewart will be voicing a poop emoji.

Yeah, really.

I swear, the film industry is repeating the shovelware mistake that helped kill the American video game industry in the early 1980's.

• Like 1

I remember there being a lewd movie about food that externalized sexuality, but yet was in cartoon form. I gave up on Hollywood a while ago as movies became more action, less plot, and over-sexualization. I rely on internet for entertainment now. Is Hollywood trash? Absolutely. I'd argue that it's nothing new. This emoji film... I wouldn't believe it just by hearing of it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blitz said:

I remember there being a lewd movie about food that externalized sexuality, but yet was in cartoon form. I gave up on Hollywood a while ago as movies became more action, less plot, and over-sexualization. I rely on internet for entertainment now. Is Hollywood trash? Absolutely. I'd argue that it's nothing new. This emoji film... I wouldn't believe it just by hearing of it.

That was sausage party. I've seen bits of it, looks absolute garbage in my opinion. :/ 

Gah... Hollywood needs another renaissance.  We need a new group of ambitious and talented writers and directors.

...Seriously, after Tarantino and Mendes leave the scene, it's only a matter of time...

• Like 2

of course, bemoaning the collapse of the art form of cinema as heralded by the emoji movie is a little disingenuous when we're going to pour out All Of The Money to go watch the next Avengers movie or whatever...

• Like 1

There's always exception to the rule. I did like Man of Steel, and Jurassic World. But I have been feeling like things these days aren't as good as back then. For example Saturday morning cartoons, WWF compared to today's WWE product, video games being better / harder game-play back then, and my preference for movies in the 90's compared to today. Maybe it's because it's how I grew up, and it's hard to change with the times. Not that I'm not trying to change with the times. I recently started PC gaming, and playing newer stuff. Though sometimes I can't help, but revisit the past because it's better.

• Like 1

Re: Sausage Party. That wasn't the first time a film centered around food was attempted. See: Foodfight! though maybe that doesn't count due to it being "brand mascot" rather than "food itself" centered...

12 hours ago, Dr. Orange said:

Right. I've only learned about a week ago that apparently January isn't the best time for movie-goers. Why just January specifically, though?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amcintyr9998 said:

Right. I've only learned about a week ago that apparently January isn't the best time for movie-goers. Why just January specifically, though?

Something with missing the Oscars.

• Like 1

Sausage Party was the equivalent of that guy who tells a fairly funny joke, and then proceeds to beat it to death by repeating it constantly. The actual trailer was pretty amusing, just as a parody of the usual summer onslaught of mediocre CG kiddy movies. The actual movie itself didn't need to happen. 

January/February is always the traditional time for just garbage low-budget dreck. Sure, you'll get the odd Lego Movie or Deadpool, but it's mostly because that's just when the industry traditionally dumps out potboilers. Most of the year's summer blockbusters and fall Oscar-baits are still in production, and theaters can't just keep running the same good movies from December to March, so you just get a lotta little filler movies that are supposed to just fill up time, hopefully make a little bit of money, and fade into the depths of obscurity. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, InfinitySquared said:

Sausage Party was the equivalent of that guy who tells a fairly funny joke, and then proceeds to beat it to death by repeating it constantly. The actual trailer was pretty amusing, just as a parody of the usual summer onslaught of mediocre CG kiddy movies. The actual movie itself didn't need to happen. 

Not to mention that most of the only really funny parts are in the trailers to bait-and-switch moviegoers into wasting their money. :p

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question. Would I be allowed to bump this thread when the box-office numbers and critical reviews come in? :) 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Five months and the reviews have started coming.

Rotten Tomatoes score:

WZxW79j.png

Of course it's still early so there aren't may reviews yet, but this is not a good start for the film's standing.

That being said, it's not over until the box office start selling tickets and the film won't be out until tomorrow.

Edit: link to Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_emoji_movie

• Like 1

Five months and the reviews have started coming.

Rotten Tomatoes score:

WZxW79j.png

Of course it's still early so there aren't may reviews yet, but this is not a good start for the film's standing.

That being said, it's not over until the box office start selling tickets and the film won't be out until tomorrow.

Edit: link to Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_emoji_movie

The end is near...I feel it

The opening weekend was its big break but it seems all downhill from here for the movie.

It looks like it won't stick at the flop level, but I really hope it stays at financial disappointment level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusakov said:

The opening weekend was its big break but it seems all downhill from here for the movie.

It looks like it won't stick at the flop level, but I really hope it stays at financial disappointment level.

Speaking of which, I just watch the Dark Tower. Also distributed by Sony. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Snes1993 said:

Speaking of which, I just watch the Dark Tower. Also distributed by Sony. Any thoughts?

They seem to do fine with purely live action films as evidenced by Baby Driver (which I LOVED).

It's when they do live action/animated mixes and just straight up animation that they start failing, hard.

If EM is a disappointment for the studio then I really hope it just gives them the lesson that they should cut the animated pap they produce.

21 minutes ago, Rusakov said:

They seem to do fine with purely live action films as evidenced by Baby Driver (which I LOVED).

It's when they do live action/animated mixes and just straight up animation that they start failing, hard.

If EM is a disappointment for the studio then I really hope it just gives them the lesson that they should cut the animated pap they produce.

I heard baby was good, haven't seen it myself and have zero plans for the emoji movie.

The Dark Tower is was a bit meh. I mean it was okay, but they took some liberties when it came to the source material. However, the Man in Black was easily my favorite part of the film whereas the Gunslinger himself was my favorite in the novel. Idris Elba (no homo) but that man is amazing, he looks like a king and sends sexual chills up my spine...but I don't think he was the first choice for this part. Maybe Clint Eastwood, but that whole thing with the chair and Obama...idk

Ok Ok you guys want a story? 

So I brought a friend to see Baby Driver. This was my second time seeing the film and he loved it. I already bought parts of the soundtrack since my GramGram already had some of the songs right? 

But once we got out of the film we saw that Emoji Movie was rough 10min into the showing. We thought 'Hell let's go see.' We both already joked about the Rotten Tomatoes rating and thought what the hell. After we eluded (ha) the employees we got down to the film.

It's bad, just bad. Cheesy jokes with quality animation. You can almost hear the recital of the suicide notes of the writters. 

The best part before we left our 32m venture into hell was the defeatist bewilderment of a local movie reviewer from GR when he saw the child poo come out of the stall.

He just asked so many fucking questions about the origins of the poo and why he was there. 

• Like 2

I saw the Emoji Movie with my friend yesterday. It was only meh. However, I honestly think that it is a bit overhated. Don't get me wrong, it's not a great movie... But I don't think it's so terrible that it deserves a 0% Rotten Tomatoes rating. Trust me, there are much worse movies out there.

Tell me I would love some recommendations.