E3 2017 Hype Thread

geoprimedonna

It is now official: Nintendo will be presenting during the E3 on June 13th, which is less than a month away. As the Internet begins to wonder what will go on during the presentation, and if what will be shown will save or doom the Switch, the question I'd like to propose is: what are your expectations for the E3? What E3 did you enjoy the most?

I expect nothing, mainly because I don't usually watch the E3s because of a little thing called school. And living a life. Neither do I have any memories of any E3 that was noteworthy in my book. It's all really just the same thing: a new game based on an older one (like a sequel or something) for hype purposes, or the rare original game that gets the same hype treatment. And the same old blurting out of innovation and bleeding edge technology.

Plus, Nintendo hasn't done things live in a few years. It's all streaming from somewhere else, they don't have bodies on the stage. That's a bit why I don't feel as enthused about E3 as most others.

I always get a kick out of watching the E3 press conferences, but I usually have to do so after they happen live as I'm usually at work when they air.  I'd be looking forward to any game that looks promising to be honest.  I only have five games for my PS4 and would like to expand the collection with something compelling eventually.

I wouldn't mind seeing anything related to Star Fox that wasn't related to a hardware/gameplay gimmick or retreading Star Fox 64 again as well.

• Like 1

RIP NINTENDO DIRECT.

Now I can watch the slow death of Nintendo via E3 like old times.

Mention Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, or Pay Day 2, ONCE, and I will be hyped. Right now, I have no idea what to expect, so I have neither excitement, nor disappointment looking toward it.

It is kind of fun to see the new games that are being spoiled to come out soon. There are some that I don't care about and then there are others that I am already familiar with since I have played or seen their prequels. All and all, it's basically exposing a lot of games that will be released all at once. I think Emile attends to these kind of events. He's going over to Momocon sometime during the week. Masae will very, very likely be there, too.

I wondered what the Sucker Punch's upcoming game be like when They revealed the game at E3.

• Like 1

By chance is anyone here going to E3?

I know I'm not. I hardly ever attend events like these. I would think that Emile and Masae would be. They love going to events like these.

Mention Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, or Pay Day 2, ONCE, and I will be hyped. Right now, I have no idea what to expect, so I have neither excitement, nor disappointment looking toward it.

Add MOTHER 3, a decent version of Smash for the Switch, and possible (yet far-fetched) chances of a Klonoa game, or a StarTropics remake. I am just as puzzled as just about everyone else, which is both good and bad. I wish for a E3 2006, but fear yet another E3 2015. The Switch can be a Wii or a Dreamcast, it is a matter of whether or not Nintendo was capable of learning from their experiences, especially regarding the Wii U. Then again, they did state that they wouldn't spill too many beans during the E3, and will leave it for a future Direct, so that makes me feel more comfortable... Sorta.

Don't expect too much out of the E3 for Nintendo, they'll be mainly focusing on 2017 Switch games such as the new Mario (and the crossover with the Rabbids of Ubisoft)

I just hope for a fun Direct like the 2014 one. A few new games should do the trick for me: maybe a new Metroid, even if I don't count too much on it, or a new IP, who knows.

I'm looking forward to their presentation. As with every year, I'll be hoping for a new Metroid/Metroid Prime, the return of F-Zero (though with FAST RMX and Redout on the Switch I'm not sure they'd try to compete) and a port of SFZ with controls designed for normal people. MK8 Deluxe DLC would also be welcome since I've been playing the shit out of that. We're probably gonna hear more about the Switch's Online Service (which I am, in all honesty, eagerly awaiting as while MK8 online's works, it's not stellar in terms of the way you connect to games. The connection is much more stable than MK8 though).

I'll be curious to see what they drop in terms of new IP. I've been hearing rumors that they're going to showcase something but I'd be surprised if they went for it right as ARMS is releasing. Every new IP they've tried has been massively successful though, so I'm confident if they drop something it's gonna be good.

• Like 1

I admit that I'm not into the E3 as I don't have the time to follow it actively, so my only expectation is that they show more of Super Mario Odyssey, which is my Must have for the Switch, even before Breath of the Wild.

Of course, a new F-Zero and Metroid Prime would also be very smexy. :)

Don't expect too much out of the E3 for Nintendo, they'll be mainly focusing on 2017 Switch games such as the new Mario (and the crossover with the Rabbids of Ubisoft)

I just hope for a fun Direct like the 2014 one. A few new games should do the trick for me: maybe a new Metroid, even if I don't count too much on it, or a new IP, who knows.

I'm looking forward to their presentation. As with every year, I'll be hoping for a new Metroid/Metroid Prime, the return of F-Zero (though with FAST RMX and Redout on the Switch I'm not sure they'd try to compete) and a port of SFZ with controls designed for normal people. MK8 Deluxe DLC would also be welcome since I've been playing the shit out of that. We're probably gonna hear more about the Switch's Online Service (which I am, in all honesty, eagerly awaiting as while MK8 online's works, it's not stellar in terms of the way you connect to games. The connection is much more stable than MK8 though).

I'll be curious to see what they drop in terms of new IP. I've been hearing rumors that they're going to showcase something but I'd be surprised if they went for it right as ARMS is releasing. Every new IP they've tried has been massively successful though, so I'm confident if they drop something it's gonna be good.

I admit that I'm not into the E3 as I don't have the time to follow it actively, so my only expectation is that they show more of Super Mario Odyssey, which is my Must have for the Switch, even before Breath of the Wild.

You wanna know what's sad about all this? With Nintendo's trend on making games, they most likely considered all these ideas and dismissed them to showcase something we don't want like Balloon Fighter with awkward motion controls.

The Golden Age is in the distant past, my friends... 

I know, right? It's been over a decade of no F-Zero, and Metroid is in a situation as tough as Starfox has been in, if not worse.

To be honest, I am not very hyped over all these Mario games. I am happy with the coming of ARMS, but one game alone will not save the Switch. We haven't gotten any VC announcements, which kind of shock me. I'd love to know if the Switch can run Gamecube games, so I can actually play Starfox Adventures and Assault for the first time (and 'cuz apparently, there is no sign of blue vulpine). Along with that, the Universe is telling Nintendo to launch MOTHER 3 on the Switch, but they still seem to not get the message.

Rumor has it that there is a SNES Mini coming soon. Excellent timing with 25 years of Starfox, amiright? Hopefully, if it's the case, we could relive some memories of true dogfights, 90's style. However, ain't gonna count Dodoras before they hatch, but we can dream a bit, can't we?

Jokes apart

I did a not very serious bingo card. Feeling optimistic this year. Tho half of this ain't gonna happen . I'm gonna give free drawings if I get a few tiles right lol 

I know, right? It's been over a decade of no F-Zero, and Metroid is in a situation as tough as Starfox has been in, if not worse.

To be honest, I am not very hyped over all these Mario games. I am happy with the coming of ARMS, but one game alone will not save the Switch. We haven't gotten any VC announcements, which kind of shock me. I'd love to know if the Switch can run Gamecube games, so I can actually play Starfox Adventures and Assault for the first time (and 'cuz apparently, there is no sign of blue vulpine). Along with that, the Universe is telling Nintendo to launch MOTHER 3 on the Switch, but they still seem to not get the message.

Rumor has it that there is a SNES Mini coming soon. Excellent timing with 25 years of Starfox, amiright? Hopefully, if it's the case, we could relive some memories of true dogfights, 90's style. However, ain't gonna count Dodoras before they hatch, but we can dream a bit, can't we?

To be fair, F-Zero more or less reached its peak with GX: the only thing missing is a big online mode.

I don't understand why you say "a game alone will not save the Switch". The Switch isn't really in need of a savior as it is working really well, and with Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey coming up this year, it's probably gonna be a good Christmas for Nintendo.
As for the future, there's a new Xenoblade in the works, probably a new Zelda down the line, maybe a Pokemon, and a lot of indies. The Switch seems pretty fine to me ;)

As for the VC, can't you get Adventures on the GC? It doesn't cost much, which can't be said for Assault.

Don't dream too much about Starfox on the SNES Mini though: if I'm not mistaken, the 3D was made thanks to Argonaut Games, and they don't get along very well with Nintendo today (might be the reason why it's the GBA version of Yoshi's Island, which used the same chip as Starfox, on the VC and not the original SNES one)

Don't dream too much about Starfox on the SNES Mini though: if I'm not mistaken, the 3D was made thanks to Argonaut Games, and they don't get along very well with Nintendo today (might be the reason why it's the GBA version of Yoshi's Island, which used the same chip as Starfox, on the VC and not the original SNES one)

But argonaut no longer exists . And even if that Acient piece of tech is copyrighted Nintendo could buy the rights .

There's a lack of interest

But argonaut no longer exists . And even if that Acient piece of tech is copyrighted Nintendo could buy the rights .

There's a lack of interest

She does have a point, but you have a point, too. Argonaut dissolved years ago, and most of the people from Argonaut now work for Q-Games. Perhaps they could try getting the rights from there, although I think this is one of those cases where there are several owners for a single game (NEAD was involved in the production of the original Starfox as well).

It's not that I dislike ARMS, and SMO, and Splatoon 2 (in fact, I like the concept), but the thing is that there are older IP's needing more investments, but they insist in creating new IP's/investing in already successful IP's. Since when have we seen a remake of StarTropics? When will we see a new Kid Icarus? Whatever Nintendo decided to do with the Switch now will determine the company's future, for better or for worse. A smart move would be to at least consider reviving these IP's... but guessing their next moves has been hardly impossible lately.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I expect nothing, mainly because I don't usually watch the E3s because of a little thing called school. And living a life. Neither do I have any memories of any E3 that was noteworthy in my book. It's all really just the same thing: a new game based on an older one (like a sequel or something) for hype purposes, or the rare original game that gets the same hype treatment. And the same old blurting out of innovation and bleeding edge technology.

Plus, Nintendo hasn't done things live in a few years. It's all streaming from somewhere else, they don't have bodies on the stage. That's a bit why I don't feel as enthused about E3 as most others.

I agree with most of this sentiment. I did watch it, as I happened to be home at the time, but it was exactly as you described. The games I was interested in (Yoshi and Kirby) aren't until next year. I want Mario Odyssey, but they were showing waaaaay too much footage, so I was sure to stop watching as I think seeing too much gameplay kills the fun when you actually buy it.

One thing I don't like, however, is watching a group of morons talking about the games for 20 minutes. Hands up to anyone who likes these segments...? None! So, why do they do it other than to elongate their shows?

Thankfully, I wasn't expecting much. Besides, I find it's not worth getting excited for a game until it's almost upon release. What's the point of getting hyped for something that's 6-24 months away?