Why didn't Fara Phoenix make it to Star Fox 2?

Wreckingcanon

She appeared in the Nintendo Power comic before star fox 2 was supposed or release, appeared in some version of a beta build, being a female character and a unique design she would have worked as an addition to differentiate herself from the 4 mainstays.  And yet Nintendo opted to make 2 brand new characters instead of bringing in Fara.  Why do you think this happened?

Fara was originally nothing more than a bonus character made to simply fill out a few needs for a comic.  Though she was designed by Benimaru Itoh, that doesn't mean anything, other than she is owned by Nintendo.  As for why she was used, simple enough, place holder.  They're used all the time.  Look at "Saru" for example, he was there for temporary place holding purposes.  Same goes for the sheep that evidently replaced him, that eventually became Faye.

It's actually very common to create certain assets that are used in a game during development, but never get to final production.  Fara was simply nothing more than that, a place holder that was easy enough to modify from another existing character.  In fact, if you want excellent examples from another iconic anthropomorphic animal series, look on Sonic Retro.  That site is full of examples of what was in betas and alphas before the games final releases.  But over all, that's my thought for why she didn't make it in.  Of course, there may be the case that in Japan, where the comic was a manga meant to promote SFSNES, that she wasn't quite well liked.  Beyond her being cute, looking like Fox's mother, and being Fox's love interest, there is nothing particularly interesting about her.  I couldn't tell you what is interesting about her without looking it up myself.

I can tell you something about Fox, Falco, Slippy, Peppey, Katt/Miyu, Bill/Faye, and so on.  They each had a particularly interesting trait, even if, in the case of Krystal with her telepathy, it wasn't utilized well.  Fara though...  She's more of a generic character with nothing interesting beyond what fan interpretations exist.  That's what I see anyways.

• Like 3

Yea I don't see Fara coming back, Krystal neither.

The comic was never canon to the series. If that was the case then many would ask why they never included the guy in the Metroid comic that beard the same Power Suit as Samus'. As i've been hearing from multiple discussions Fara wasnt actually that good of a character and was really just a generic love interest to Fox.

Fox in the comic only liked her because she looked like his mother, he even kept his dead mothers outfit in a display and had her wear it. Sorry but i'd rather see Fox be shy toward Krystal than be a borderline insane individual like you'd see in a horror movie

a generic character with nothing interesting beyond what fan interpretations exist.

In all fairness we could say this about every member of the Star Fox cast, given how abysmal the games' portrayals of them are in terms of the lack of characterization beyond a biography that could scarcely fit on a trading card.

At least they tend to fit tropes.  What trope does Fara fit?

Fara fits the trope of a daughter of a rich person who wants to prove her worth as well as being a bit of a tomboy kinda like lola rabbit in space jam but not as pointless.

• Like 1

At least they tend to fit tropes.  What trope does Fara fit?

Daughter of designer (or president of a corporation or something, I don't really remember) that is put in a situation she might not be fully prepared for due to her connections, maybe?  Either way, I vaguely recall her having some development for sure.

It's not really helping though.  The fact neither of us can recall much about her other than what we have so far, is not the least bit good for Fara, huh?  I mean, if she had a specific trait, something, ANYTHING, that would make her unique...  Like say, being a fashionista?  I dunno, even if it was something people dislike...  It's better for a character to be remembered for a bad trait people hate, than to be remembered for not being memorable...  At least the rest of the cast have something to build from.  Fara has literally nothing we can clearly remember.

Also Fara is a test pilot for the cornerian army which seems to mean that she is not only a good pilot but skilled enough to fly crafts that perform differently from each other.

• Like 1

It's not really helping though.  The fact neither of us can recall much about her other than what we have so far, is not the least bit good for Fara, huh?

Not really a fair metric to measure by.  I read the comic once over four years ago, compounded by the fact  that I can barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. :p

• Like 1

I read the comic over a decade ago by this point when Arwing Landing was still a thing.  In fact, I read the scans they had.  But that I don't remember much about Fara from there, and I usually have a near eidetic memory...  Yeah, for me, that could be understandable.  But you?  You should have a much easier time than I'm having. XD;;

• Like 1

She was probably just a place holder for testing a few things. for her as a character though, she was an okay at best love interest for Fox (though in that comic Fox is a borderline crazy man) and mostly liked her because she looked like his mom.

But i can do with or without her.

Falco gets roasted.gif

I have an idea for Fara, but she wouldnt be with Fox or the team. Whenever it happens.

• Like 1

I have an idea for Fara, but she wouldnt be with Fox or the team. Whenever it happens.

what's you're idea for Fara?

• 2 weeks later...

Fara was indeed just a placeholder, sad as it is to not see her in an actual game. She wasn't even named Fara in SF2's alpha build, just "Lady".

Fara was indeed just a placeholder, sad as it is to not see her in an actual game. She wasn't even named Fara in SF2's alpha build, just "Lady".

So what you are saying is that not even nintendo gave her any real thought.  Instead of using an existing and established character they instead made two brand new ones.  RIP

That's a dour way to put it. Nintendo probably does acknowledge Fara, given how much they reference Benimaru's work, and heck, she's even center-stage for one of Benimaru's Zero artworks.

Also I mean the other character placeholder was Andross and back then it was used for multiplayer alpha testing.

What stats for example star fox 2 would Fara's Black Arwing have?

I'm guessing it would be a glass canon, similar to the black arwing in Zero.