The SFO Car/Vehicle General Thread

Dr. Orange

Most of these cars are owned by wealthy international students, primarily Chinese students. Ownership of expensive cars is a huge dick measuring contest for wealthy Chinese families, and I know at least elsewhere it's resulted in some pretty nice cars getting wrecked. Kind of sad.

It is definitely a cultural/ethnic thing in Middle Eastern/Asian/Indian cultures. The kid who owns that Maserati is Indian, the girl who owns the Porsche at my school is Arab, most of the Asians at my school have matching Lexii and Infinitii of varying years/models, etc.. In those cultures, it's important to display the family's power and marriage-potential by bestowing flashy gifts upon their kids. What girl would want to marry a boy whose family can only provide him a 1997 Honda Civic? And/or it makes up for the struggles their parents went through to get to that position in life? It's also not exactly coincidental that those ethnicities tend to have tiny dicks.

Us old-moneyed white folks could give less shits about it. We buy nice things and use them 'til they're dead and gone, keep most of our money in a series of hard-to-trace bank accounts and/or investments, and laugh at stupid shit like this. 

I mean, I drive a fairly snazzy Acura MDX ('08, but close enough to a new one), and I used to drive a '99 BMW 750iL (a $100k car new), but these are/were just the oldest and/or kid-friendliest cars we had in the driveway and not any sort of statement about our family's "status" or "power". It's all such complicated semantical bullshit, but I think we all can agree that a definite line about "what your kid's first car should be" in the sand can definitely be drawn somewhere between a late-model family car and a 6-figure supercar.

Edited by InfinitySquared

What girl would want to marry a boy whose family can only provide him a 1997 Honda Civic?

nR1TQjy.jpg

Any girl who knows they'd be gettin' a man with a thick, meaty ccccccccock who drives the motherfucking, asswhoopin '97 Honda Civic.

These are the shit. If I ever plan on doing and heavy drugs, they're going to bedone in a Honda Civic >'03.

• Like 1

• Like 1

As much as I appreciate reading about the proposed size of the male genitalia, it would be best if we set this topic back on track.

----

I'm pleased to see that the small European van segment is finally coming over to the United States.  (I do like the full-sized Ford Econoline/E-Series and Chevrolet Express, partly due to their antiquity, barebones feature sets, and ubiquity on the roads today, however.)  I think that one of the only automobiles currently on the market that I would consider purchasing new if, I ever had the funds to do so, is the Chrysler RAM Promaster City (otherwise known as the Fiat Doblo in foreign markets).  The wagon variant is pictured below, with seating for five and ample cargo space.  A full panel cargo van with two seats up front and optional toolboxes is available from what I've read.  Ever since I sat in in one at the 2015 NY Auto Show I realized that I liked them quite a bit.

01-2015-ram-promaster-city-review-1.jpg

I just wish that it had a more barebones radio (all I need is AM/FM and maybe an AUX input) and that they moved the gear selector from the dashboard onto the steering column.

rpc-interior-jpg.jpg?w=600

[v Column-Mounted Gear Selector from a 2003-2004 Crown Victoria.  Yes, I will buy a 2003-2011 model someday.  I SWEAR UPON IT.]

2005-ford-crown-victoria-4-door-sedan-st

I'd buy a 2011 Crown Vic/Marquis/Town Car, if only for the sheer novelty of having a 2011 version of a 2003 update to a 1979 design. Also because TC's are frankly comfortable if spartan. But only in black, because a TC in any other color is just an abomination (except maybe pink or with a holographic vinyl-wrap because I have a messed-up sense of humor :P). And definitely without that tacky-ass roof shit that a lot of these cars have for no reason.

• Like 1

As much as I appreciate reading about the proposed size of the male genitalia, it would be best if we set this topic back on track.

----

I'm pleased to see that the small European van segment is finally coming over to the United States.  (I do like the full-sized Ford Econoline/E-Series and Chevrolet Express, partly due to their antiquity, barebones feature sets, and ubiquity on the roads today, however.)  I think that one of the only automobiles currently on the market that I would consider purchasing new if, I ever had the funds to do so, is the Chrysler RAM Promaster City (otherwise known as the Fiat Doblo in foreign markets).  The wagon variant is pictured below, with seating for five and ample cargo space.  A full panel cargo van with two seats up front and optional toolboxes is available from what I've read.  Ever since I sat in in one at the 2015 NY Auto Show I realized that I liked them quite a bit.

01-2015-ram-promaster-city-review-1.jpg

I just wish that it had a more barebones radio (all I need is AM/FM and maybe an AUX input) and that they moved the gear selector from the dashboard onto the steering column.

rpc-interior-jpg.jpg?w=600

[v Column-Mounted Gear Selector from a 2003-2004 Crown Victoria.  Yes, I will buy a 2003-2011 model someday.  I SWEAR UPON IT.]

2005-ford-crown-victoria-4-door-sedan-st

Speaking of the Yurpean van segment, they were going to start doing the 7-passenger Ford C-Max in The States. I would have made a good competitor against the Mazda5. But Ford dropped it right before its release since they were selling the Ford Toureno Connect (a.k.a. Ford Transit Connect Wagon) and that would fill the space of any compact minivan situation. But... The Transit Connect is not... cute enough for anyone to pay attention to. It kind of reminds me of a Ford Aerostar, as far as using it as a minivan people hauler. But nonetheless, Mazda recently discontinued the Mazda5 due to lagging sales or whatever, and the Grand C-Max would probably have suffered the same fate.

But about compact utility vans, I hear that they are a better investment for companies and fleets than full-size V8 powered vans like the E-Series and Chevy Savannah; they are small, cheaper to buy, and better on gas with their compact size and 4-cylinder engines.

I'd buy a 2011 Crown Vic/Marquis/Town Car, if only for the sheer novelty of having a 2011 version of a 2003 update to a 1979 design. Also because TC's are frankly comfortable if spartan. But only in black, because a TC in any other color is just an abomination (except maybe pink or with a holographic vinyl-wrap because I have a messed-up sense of humor :P). And definitely without that tacky-ass roof shit that a lot of these cars have for no reason.

​With that unchanging design comes an ease of finding spare parts, as well as the late model Panther Platform cars being a breeze to work on.  I agree on the Town Cars being comfortable beyond belief, and that they look their best in black.  We don't speak of those vinyl-roof abominations.  There's something about their rugged simplicity that I fell in love with, in addition to their RWD, V8, large sedan attributes that made them the last of their kind.

​Speaking of the Yurpean van segment, they were going to start doing the 7-passenger Ford C-Max in The States. I would have made a good competitor against the Mazda5. But Ford dropped it right before its release since they were selling the Ford Toureno Connect (a.k.a. Ford Transit Connect Wagon) and that would fill the space of any compact minivan situation. But... The Transit Connect is not... cute enough for anyone to pay attention to. It kind of reminds me of a Ford Aerostar, as far as using it as a minivan people hauler. But nonetheless, Mazda recently discontinued the Mazda5 due to lagging sales or whatever, and the Grand C-Max would probably have suffered the same fate.

But about compact utility vans, I hear that they are a better investment for companies and fleets than full-size V8 powered vans like the E-Series and Chevy Savannah; they are small, cheaper to buy, and better on gas with their compact size and 4-cylinder engines.

​I have seen a handful of C-Max yellow cabs around, and they're not bad looking for what they are.  I actually liked the previous generation's styling for the Transit Connect; if they'd just transpose the interior from the new one into the old one then I'd like it almost as much as the Promaster City.  I wasn't even aware that Mazda killed off the 5; it was probably the only 'mini' minivan left. 

I don't doubt that the smaller utility vans are a better investment for businesses and independent contractors than the E-Series and the Express/Savanna, but I'm a sucker for full-sized vans and smaller ones alike.  The Chevy Astro is deserves a mention for being a precursor to the smaller Euro-vans in the US and being a good compromise between the full size and compacts.  I do appreciate its column-mounted gear selector. :P

2005_chevrolet_astro_cargo_van_3_dr_std_

5650979924_1db53f17fe.jpg

My parking job today was so on point I can't

onpoint.jpg

Mine's the middle car.

My parking job today was so on point I can't

​Well mine was pretty good t-

parking_spot_empty.jpg

SONOFABITCH I FORGOT THAT I HAD NOTHING TO PARK. ;___;

Edited by OneUnder
  • Like 2

​Well mine was pretty good t-

parking_spot_empty.jpg

SONOFABITCH I FORGOT THAT I HAD NOTHING TO PARK. ;___;

​My friend

Go and buy one.

Get cheap piece o' crap and drive it into the ground like the viscous puerto rican​ hound that waits at the corner of american senators and long term regret.

Edited by Dr. Orange
  • Like 2

Here's an update on my personal crusade for an automobile. 

A used 2003 Grand Marquis was listed yesterday, nearby, at a large, franchised dealership.  The price was reasonable, but at the upper end of my price range.  I contacted the dealership and was told that they'd send photos over once they were taken.  I figured that since the car was picked up by a national dealership chain it couldn't have been in that bad of shape, especially compared to what I've been accustomed to seeing when I've checked out cars listed on Craigslist in person (that could be a thread in itself).

My enthusiasm intensified as I spent moments daydreaming about this vehicle being the one.  Cruising in the right lane on the freeway, doing 45MPH, listening to Bruce Springsteen on the radio.  I WOULD FINALLY BE TRIUMPHANT IN MY QUEST.

Today the photos came in.  Aside from having that hideous vinyl top that some of them were optioned for, the paint was chipped throughout the front end of the car, there was some shoddy repair work done with clear packing tape to one of the tail lights, the other tail light lens was cracked heavily, and there was one helluva dent on the right rear passenger door, which had some sort of aluminum foil looking material taped over it with that same clear tape.  Not to mention the price was raised by several hundred dollars.

296.jpg

I wouldn't mind taking on a car with a few cosmetic issues, but it sure as hell wouldn't be at that price point.

THE SEARCH CONTINUES.

Edited by OneUnder

I got to find the sticky from the /o/ about buying used cars. Like there was so much helpful stuff there I need to share it. I'll update when found.

Edited by Dr. Orange
  • Like 1

Most car dealers will buy just about anything, national included.

What I don't understand are people that buy used cars sight unseen. You're just asking for trouble doing that.

BTW, if any of you are looking for cars and you live somewhat near Texas or Oklahoma beware. There are lots of flooded cars coming onto the market right now.

Most car dealers will buy just about anything, national included.

What I don't understand are people that buy used cars sight unseen. You're just asking for trouble doing that.

BTW, if any of you are looking for cars and you live somewhat near Texas or Oklahoma beware. There are lots of flooded cars coming onto the market right now.

​I couldn't agree more on how insane you'd have to be to buy sight-unseen.  On that note, I saw an '02 Maxima for sale last year - the photos posted online made the car seem to be in acceptable shape.  When I went to see the car in person, however, it was painfully obvious that the vehicle had been repaired after some sort of collision, and that the repair wasn't done well.  One headlight jutted out further than the other, and the entire front end was not level. 

+1 on avoiding flooded cars like the plague.  There were countless ones around here after Hurricane Sandy. 

Speaking of which, when purchasing a used car it's always a good idea to run the VIN through the NCIB database and check with the NHSTA or manufacturer for any recalls.  It's not foolproof, just as a CarFax or AutoCheck isn't, but it beats going in blind by a longshot.

Edited by OneUnder

Carmax. Carmax all the used cars.

​I don't particularly care for CarMax.  Their cars are overpriced, though I will say that if you're willing to pay more for not having to deal with haggling/negotiation, and for cars that are in relatively good shape, then they probably fit the bill.   Half of the fun of buying on the cheaper side of the used car market is wading through all of the garbage until you find the one that's just right.  It may take awhile, and there are times that the fruitfulness of it all makes you feel like considering a late model Corolla, but then you come to your senses and press on.

Edited by OneUnder

​All the way. If I ever do a used car again, it'll be from here or certified from the dealer.

I just did a quick check, and these seem pretty reasonable:

R9KXdAQ.png

$12k Town Car, 90k miles, classic black baby!

u5wDCAx.png

$9k Marquis, 100k miles, retired grandmother silver

eKAEAzO.png

$13k Marquis, 19k miles, childrens' librarian yellow

cUBLXhW.png

$11k Crown Vic, 79k miles, actually kinda snazzy red

and if you wanna go a more stylish but still unkillable route:

8HH3Ncd.png

$13k LS430, 122k miles, literally unkillable and has cooled leather seats-everything else is irrelevant because ventilated seats are god's gift to backsides on summer roadtrips

gOB7jxd.png

$15k E320, 69k miles, ignore the horror stories you hear from poseurs and idiots because if you know how to work on your own cars and/or get a Carmax warranty you're basically set (same goes with BMW's and Jaguars)

IgUnRko.png

$11.5k TSX, 101k miles, it's a Honda Accord but better

For the money, these seem pretty damn reasonable. You're dealing with clean titled, 1-3 owner, well-maintained cars that are pretty pristine and don't have funny marks from that incident with the 5 male models a furby and PF Chang's takeout, "oregano" odor, Blues Traveller stuck in the tape deck and Harptallica lodged in the CD changer, or stains from "lawn clippings". Plus you don't have to deal with the crazies that try to pawn off their crappy cars on you.

Was going to edit old post but whatevs.

The /o/'s helpful guide to not getting fucked.

Some language beware because 4chan.

1400987343452.jpg

also sticky: http://boards.4chan.org/o/thread/10361919/need-advice-on-buying-a-good-cheap-used-car-look

Edited by Dr. Orange
Because 4chan
  • Like 1

$12k Town Car, 90k miles, classic black baby!

$9k Marquis, 100k miles, retired grandmother silver

$13k Marquis, 19k miles, childrens' librarian yellow

$11k Crown Vic, 79k miles, actually kinda snazzy red

BRB, gonna go sell a kidney now.  

All jokes aside, those are great.  I get CarMax a little better now; it's basically a new car dealership for used cars.  Of course I'm no where near able to afford the premiums that that sort of service commands, but color me impressed at how nicely those cars appear to have been treated. 

Was going to edit old post but whatevs.

The /o/'s helpful guide to not getting fucked.

​Thanks for posting that.  It's definitely one of the more helpful conglomerates of the countless guides I've read, and I've encountered just about everything listed there at one time or another.  I saw a '05 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor a few months ago that pulled incredibly hard to the left whenever braking was performed from over 25MPH.  Upon closer inspection there was paint overspray all over the front wheel wells, and the radiator was bent.  The damn thing still drove like a bat outta' hell though.  The seller wanted $6000, which I promptly lol'd at and walked off of the lot.

----

EricTheCarGuy on YouTube has an excellent video series on what to look for when checking out a used car in person.  It's like that 4chan guide, but in video form. 

Edited by OneUnder

OK, can I just complain about something trivial real quick?

So, I housesit a house a couple towns over for a family friend who's in Thailand teaching kids English. I had to powerwash their driveway (which is pretty long), so my shoes and socks got #rekt so I had to drive barefoot. No big deal in pretty much any car except my brother's (he needed my car to carry some stuff, so I took his), which has these dumbass things on the pedals

169197d1257100474-metal-pedals-w212-cimg

So not only are they ugly, but they get nice 'n toasty! Fucking ow.

But stainless steel pedals make the car go faster. It even says racing on the box!

Edited by DZComposer
  • Like 4

But stainless steel pedals make the car go faster. It even says racing on the box!

​But you can go even faster if you pair them with stick-on vents.

dao2fqeuxbrjiatm2vij.jpg

• Like 2

Don't forget spoilers, A/C muffler and radio delete (whyyyyy), flame stickers, holographic vinylwraps, big exhaust pipes, and Lexus lights!

• Like 1

Question about motoring shows: Do we prefer Fifth Gear or Top Gear? If we like Top Gear, do we like the original one or the American version?