The Nostalgic Thread

geoprimedonna

Sometimes, I miss the "Golden Nintendo Era"... The Mario and The Legendo of Zelda cereal, the Starfox game watch cereal promotion, the many meal promotions, Nintendo Power, game toys, The Saturday Supercade... :cry: What about you? What do you miss?

the 90s were a frightening time, of floor clouds and thigh pouches and deformed people and vast seas of spent shell casings. they were a silly time and we have progressed beyond those dark and horrible days.

I miss being able to eat baby food without people giving me funny looks.

• Like 7

I miss being able to eat baby food without people giving me funny looks.

Mu ha ha! icon_razz.gif.pagespeed.ce.5P6LdwusxY.gi

N64

nuff said :D

• Like 1

This sums up the whole '90s kid thing perfectly. Since I don't remember anything before '98, I'm biding my time 'til I can start bragging about being an '00s kid   :twisted:

Remember Google? Remember 9/11? Remember the Iraq War? Remember Hummers?Remember McMansions? Remember the Housing Market Crash? Remember Jersey Shore?  IT WAS A GOOD SHOW! 

I tell ya, it's only a matter of time (>10 years).

To be honest, I was born in 95 so I don't remember all that much from when I was that young.

The main thing I do miss though is all of the good music in the 90s that was made from people and bands like The Smashing Pumpkins, Alanis Morissette, Nirvana, Weezer, No Doubt, Hole, etc.

• Like 2

I miss good cartoons... and Reboot, I miss Reboot.

Meh, a few years ago it was all about growing up in the 80s. In a few years, it will be all about growing up in the 2000s. A few years after that, the 2010s, then the 2020s, ad infinitum.

Thing is, a lot of it is just nostalgia. Viewed through an objective lens, honestly, Children's TV programming has sucked since the decline of the classic Warner and Disney cartoons in the 1960s. Those cartoons were entertaining for children, but also had some hidden adult humor in them, too. There were jokes about the world wars (including one where Bugs Bunny pretended to be Hitler), jokes about race, and other social jokes. Such things are not considered "kid-friendly" and acceptable in modern cartoons. In fact, there are 11 classic Warner shorts that are deemed too racially insensitive to ever be shown again.

Though I will say the absolute worst Children's program did occur during the 1990s: Barney and Friends. It wasn't educational. It wasn't entertaining. It was just people in Dinosaur costumes pointless walking around in a preschool-like building talking pointlessly to the kids there.

I, for one, don't miss the 1990s. Slow, dial-up internet, VHS Tapes, CDs, shitty cars (though the 80s were worse), no smart phones, music wasn't portable, video definately wasn't, 480i TV signals. Why would anyone want to go back to that?

• Like 1

shitty cars (though the 80s were worse), no smart phones

I have to disagree with these points.

The automobiles of the 1990s scream terrible interiors with cheap plastics, as well as seemingly-random styling. The 80s, at the very least, had very period-specific styling, velour or pillow-top interiors, etc. Reliability was highly dependent upon the manufacturer and model for both eras IMO.

Would the world really be worse-off without smartphones? It would be nice to interact with someone without the chance of having them whip out a phone and becoming glued to it for the remainder of their lifetime.

Would the world really be worse-off without smartphones? It would be nice to interact with someone without the chance of having them whip out a phone and become glued to it for the remainder of their lifetime.

I don't have one, and there are some pretty awkward moments out on the town with friends when everybody else ends up looking at their superphone, and its silent, and i'm all..

oh

I think it's cool that we don't have to be bored in boring situations anymore but--

HOLY CRAP WOMAN THIS ISN'T YOUR CAR

YOU MEAN U COULDN'T LOOK UP FROM YOUR PHONE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE WHOSE CAR UR GETTING IN

• Like 2

I have to disagree with these points.

The automobiles of the 1990s scream terrible interiors with cheap plastics, as well as seemingly-random styling. The 80s, at the very least, had very period-specific styling, velour or pillow-top interiors, etc. Reliability was highly dependent upon the manufacturer and model for both eras IMO.

Not all '90s cars looked bad. Granted, the cheaper cars were pretty gross looking (Ford Taurus and Toyota Previa, anyone?), but the more expensive cars didn't look too bad. My brothers drove my dad's old '99 BMW 728 up until this March, and it was a ">beautiful thing (although getting into a black car with black leather seats that's been sitting in direct sunlight for 4 hours on a hot Virginia summer afternoon is a torture that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy  :burned: ). It was going to be my first car, but sadly, my older brother burnt out the transmission because he wanted to drive it like a stickshift (dumb@ss), so I'm stuck without a car :x

I'm kinda baffled how Ford went from wood veneer and velour in that Grand Marquis that at least felt fancy to that awful drab, almost utilitarian blech in the Taurus. I mean, I know I've been spoiled by fancy German and Japanese cars, but it's like Ford just stopped caring and decided to suck anything that gives a car character out of the Taurus.

• Like 1

Agreed. Not to derail the topic, but I'm glad that both Chrysler and Ford have bounced back in terms of quality of the products that they are putting out. GM is currently suffering multiple recalls, but their newest stuff isn't bad at all.

[And for the record, the second photo was from the interior of a 1983-1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria; it was close to the Grand Marquis', but not quite as nice. :P]

Remember the BC era?

Everything is better in the BC era. 

You're too old to remember.

We had spears. We had corn growing. What does the 21st Century have? Nothing, not even Cthulhu which was in the BC.

This generation, they don't know, this generation, BC era, they don't know, this generation, spears, this generation, knows they nothing corn better is everything. 

• Like 2

Meh, a few years ago it was all about growing up in the 80s. In a few years, it will be all about growing up in the 2000s. A few years after that, the 2010s, then the 2020s, ad infinitum.

Thing is, a lot of it is just nostalgia. Viewed through an objective lens, honestly, Children's TV programming has sucked since the decline of the classic Warner and Disney cartoons in the 1960s. Those cartoons were entertaining for children, but also had some hidden adult humor in them, too. There were jokes about the world wars (including one where Bugs Bunny pretended to be Hitler), jokes about race, and other social jokes. Such things are not considered "kid-friendly" and acceptable in modern cartoons. In fact, there are 11 classic Warner shorts that are deemed too racially insensitive to ever be shown again.

Though I will say the absolute worst Children's program did occur during the 1990s: Barney and Friends. It wasn't educational. It wasn't entertaining. It was just people in Dinosaur costumes pointless walking around in a preschool-like building talking pointlessly to the kids there.

I, for one, don't miss the 1990s. Slow, dial-up internet, VHS Tapes, CDs, shitty cars (though the 80s were worse), no smart phones, music wasn't portable, video definately wasn't, 480i TV signals. Why would anyone want to go back to that?

In part, I agree to you, DZ! But on the other hand, wouldn't you wish for the Big N to allow these stuff back again?

saturday_supercade_logo_1983.jpg

nintendo-zelda-cereal.png

foxcard2.jpg

I lived in the 2000's, but just reading about the 90's enchants me, so I just posted this to remind the good stuff of those times...

Saturday Supercade is flipping awful. It's not charmingly bad like Captain N & Super Mario 3, it's just downright abominable. Also, that Nintendo cereal just looks cancerous.

I lived in the 2000's, but just reading about the 90's enchants me, so I just posted this to remind the good stuff of those times...

My advice: Don't be nostalgic for things you never lived through. You can enjoy them (I love cheesy '80s/'90s pop as much as the next guy), but don't get caught up in it.

• Like 2

Saturday Supercade is flipping awful. It's not charmingly bad like Captain N & Super Mario 3, it's just downright abominable. Also, that Nintendo cereal just looks cancerous.   My advice: Don't be nostalgic for things you never lived through. You can enjoy them (I love cheesy '80s/'90s pop as much as the next guy), but don't get caught up in it.
Umm... Yeah. But make a series for StarFox, Metroid and EarthBound, put back the shows they already have and, yeah, you've got something good... :p

Saturday Supercade is flipping awful. It's not charmingly bad like Captain N & Super Mario 3, it's just downright abominable. Also, that Nintendo cereal just looks cancerous.   My advice: Don't be nostalgic for things you never lived through. You can enjoy them (I love cheesy '80s/'90s pop as much as the next guy), but don't get caught up in it.
I agree with you. I was born in '97, so I am hardly a '90s kid. However, I do enjoy Retro games, and I also enjoy alt rock from the '90s and early 2000s, although I am more of a metal head. Growing up, I watched whatever was on television, including many "'90s exclusive" shows that were still on the air. I remember having a secondhand Gameboy Pocket and Sega Genesis until I had them taken away for being bad in school. I remember the PS2 era fondly, and I remember how all the kids had a DS except for me when it came out. I got mine a few years later and played the hell out of it. Pristine hinges and fully functional controls, bitches!
  • Like 1

How about Nintendo Power, folks!?

I never had Nintendo Power, so I wouldn't know. No, my childhood was legos, Hot Wheels, and Transformers.

I agree with you. I was born in '97, so I am hardly a '90s kid. However, I do enjoy Retro games, and I also enjoy alt rock from the '90s and early 2000s, although I am more of a metal head. Growing up, I watched whatever was on television, including many "'90s exclusive" shows that were still on the air. I remember having a secondhand Gameboy Pocket and Sega Genesis until I had them taken away for being bad in school. I remember the PS2 era fondly, and I remember how all the kids had a DS except for me when it came out. I got mine a few years later and played the hell out of it. Pristine hinges and fully functional controls, bitches!

Yeah, pretty much the exact same situation here. I had the benefit of 2 older brothers born in the late '80s and mid '90s, so I was familiar a lot of the old '90s shows and games pretty well. I've recently been put in charge of transferring and cleaning up my family's huge VHS/Betamax collection (which spans a good 30 years!), and I'm actually kinda surprised at how many '90s cartoons I actually recognized.

I never had Nintendo Power, so I wouldn't know. No, my childhood was legos, Hot Wheels, and Transformers.

Oh man, I loved Hot Wheels as a kid. I remember when I was 5, I built one huge track that went through every room of the (pretty big) house and outside. I just remember being so proud of myself that day. Heck, I'm still kinda proud, since that's one hell of a feat for a 5 year old kid to accomplish on his own. My dad, on the other hand, was not amused at all. I think it had to do with the fact that the stairs were kinda littered with toy cars and track :-P

My brothers read Nintendo Power (we still have some old Nintendo Power's from the mid '90s with that godawful Starfox comic buried in a box someplace), but I mainly just remember looking at the pretty pictures. I mainly read Highlights, National Geographic for Kids, and books like the Hardy Boys, Harry Potter, and A Series of Unfortunate Events back in the day.

• Like 1

I always preferred Matchbox to HotWheels; generally, Matchbox's cars were based on actual vehicles. I too had a sprawling collection of them, everything from forklifts and delivery vans to police cars and standard sedans. Those were indeed good times. :-P

• Like 1

I always preferred Matchbox to HotWheels; generally, Matchbox's cars were based on actual vehicles. I too had a sprawling collection of them, everything from forklifts and delivery vans to police cars and standard sedans. Those were indeed good times. :-P

:offtopic: Don't forget: has to be Nintendo related, OK?!