Q-Games may have the actual final Star Fox 2 version.

Patch93

I was looking up Star Fox 2 related stuff on Google, when I found a forum topic where the admin of SNESCentral posted a twitter conversation he had with Dylan Cuthbert:

http://forums.lostle...pic.php?p=30631

@snescentral interesting article, the beta leaked out of Argonaut's collapse though because I know there is another unleaked rom after that

@snescentral we used the real final rom (with proper random encounters) to do research before making StarFox Command

@snescentral ie. every time you play the game the pattern of attacks and encounters were designed to be different

This is solid evidence that the ROM we have is only a near-final beta version and that Q-Games may actually have the real final version. Now this begs the question, if Q-Games had the real final ROM this entire time, then why did Nintendo refuse to release the game on the Wii VC, when they could have got it from them? :/

EDIT: Icy found some direct links to the original conversation:

https://twitter.com/...639812672520192

https://twitter.com/...639622389547008

https://twitter.com/...639433402580992

I was looking up Star Fox 2 related stuff on Google, when I found a forum topic where the admin of SNESCentral posted a twitter conversation he had with Dylan Cuthbert:

http://forums.lostle...pic.php?p=30631

This is solid evidence that the ROM we have is only a near-final beta version and that Q-Games may actually have the real final version. Now this begs the question, if Q-Games had the real final ROM this entire time, then why did Nintendo refuse to release the game on the Wii VC, when they could have got it from them? :/

I'd say they don't want anything to do with the pre-64 canon anymore ...

They didn't even publish starfox snes on the VC... :(

I'd say they don't want anything to do with the pre-64 canon anymore ...

They didn't even publish starfox snes on the VC... :(

If that was the case then why did they have a minigame based on SF1 in Wario Ware: Smooth Moves and put SNES songs in Brawl?

If that was the case then why did they have a minigame based on SF1 in Wario Ware: Smooth Moves and put SNES songs in Brawl?

I don't know.

But they still did reboot the franchise in sf64 for no reasons, and put away sf2, and sf snes.

Quick! Organize a party to go break into Q-Games' offices! Let's get that ROM.

Er… anyway, pretty cool. I wish they would release it. Perhaps someday.

I'm also of the opinion that Rareware had a pretty-close-to-final build of Dinosaur Planet. You don't just throw away all those various dev builds that may/may not work, etc. They still have them… somewhere. *shrug*

Let's organize a second party. ;)

Quick! Organize a party to go break into Q-Games' offices! Let's get that ROM.

That would be epic, but no, I wouldn't do it. We would be caught and arrested for attempt of breaking and entering and attempt of software piracy. :P

That would be epic, but no, I wouldn't do it. We would be caught and arrested for attempt of breaking and entering and attempt of software piracy. :-P

I do believe that was just wishful thinking, it would be interesting to play out in the mind! :lol: . It's a shame that the majority of canceled games are already in a near-complete stage yet aren't released regardless of how much time passes.

• Like 1

Yes, I was just joking. :P

But more seriously (read: not serious) we should send someone undercover to go work at Q-Games and/or Rare and let them get deep within the ranks of the staff… then one day, they will steal the archived builds of Star Fox 2 and/or Dinosaur Planet and we'll FINALLY HAVE THEM.

Then they'll go to jail and we'll all hide but you know, it might work, right? ;)

I don't know.

Even if they didn't want anything to do with pre-SF64, it was most likely in an attempt to somewhat appeal to fans of those games, even in a slighted fashion.

Of course, it's possible they're willing to associate with pre-SF64, just on certain circumstances. One level in Wario Ware, and a few pieces in Brawl, fine. But a full on game? That's probably where they drew the line.

Awww, and I was gonna be on demolitions!

Someone needs to write up a roleplay on this! :lol:

• Like 2

That's an interesting news indeed.

I'd love to have a hand on a slightly more advanced ROM of SF2! :3

Someone needs to write up a roleplay on this! :lol:

+1 YES! Let's have an RP where we break into Q-Games. This could be funnnnnnnnnn. Someone make it happen since I have no RP experience, especially not running one. :P

• Like 2

I'm skeptical.

1: Your source is a random forum thread, and the cited links in that thread are dead.

2: Why on Earth would Q-Games have it? SF2 was a partnership between Nintendo and Argonaut. While some of the people from Argonaut and Nintendo both now work at Q-Games, I highly doubt they have the code.

3: Argonaut is now defunct. Who knows what they had and what survived.

4: Nintendo has hinted that they do not have a ready-to-release version they could roll out if they chose to.

5. No SuperFX games have been released on VC. I think that has a lot more to do with why SF1 was never released on VC, as none of the other SFX games have been.

EDIT: Here is the original source:

http://www.snescentr...cle.php?id=0077

An interesting read on the history of the game, but it says nothing about Q-Games now having it. The game was written in assembly. I do not envy the programmers for that.

For future reference, please link to the original source, not a forum thread. That may be within GoNintendo's editorial standards, but it really is a sloppy way to report things and can spread untrue rumors.

I think I meant to say Dylan himself rather than Q-Games.

BTW, I think i found a more accurate source from Dylan's Twitter page, it shows SNESCentral talking to him about the real final version and it's random encounters. Unfortunately I couldn't find the other posts he made, but it should be close enough. http://twitter.com/#...744125709271040 Maybe you could find it yourself if you did a bit more searching, but I dunno.

Interesting.

Though, I must caution, he clearly said he played a ROM. This does not mean he has source code. He also did not say if he has a copy of it himself, or if he was allowed to borrow it from Nintendo solely for SFC research.

Also, don't count on it seeing the light of day, either. Especially if Nintendo has it.

Well, I think it's all hype. Just like the things Miyamoto said about a new Star Fox game a few years back.