What antivirus program do you use?

CrypticQuery

Poll =3  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which antivirus program do you use?

• Norton/Symantec
    • Kapersky
    • BitDefender
    • Avast!
    • Vipre
    • McAfee
    • MalwareBytes
    • Other (I'll post about it)

Just a quick poll; I was thinking about switching antivirus programs and I'd like to see what others find appropriate. At the moment I'm using the free version of Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Norton 360.

And inb4 obligatory Apple fanboy. :troll:

[Also, it would figure that Norton would crash while I was writing this, and that I'd have to go through an idiotic amount of steps to get things to work properly again. :facepalm: ]

Too bad, there are crap on Apple too :P, you just don't hear about it as often.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, it's reliable enough if you don't do "risky" things.

Norton is crap, period. Definitely one of the worst.

I use a combination of Malewarebytes, and AVG. The free version of AVG is just as good as the one you have to buy, though it doesn't seem to find things as well as Malewarebytes does.

I hate Norton. I just switched off of it about a month ago.

Now I use Avast! and Malwarebytes paid. Usually I use Avast for live protection, then usually leave MBAM off until I do a scan. Works for me.

Norton: Running Portal 2 at medium settings, 50-60 FPS

Avast and MBAM: Running Portal 2 maxed out (except for AA and texture filtering) 60-75 FPS. You can't explain that.

I just use Norton Internet Security. We get it for free by using Comcast.

Never had any trouble with it. It detects viruses, easy to use, etc. Barely even know it's running.

AVG, MalwareBytes, and Spybot: S&D combo.

I don't really use any for my desktop (Mac), but for my laptop I simply use Norton. Nothing special.

Norton 360 and Internet Security Sucks, McAfee does shit for finding things. Avast! is just a program that loves sound effects and eye candy. Vipre is shit for finding rootkits, AVG now sucks the ever loving life out of machine resources, and

Norton Endpoint is surprisingly good. US Government uses it and I have tested it. It doesn't spread its slimy programmy tentacles everywhere like IS and 360 do.

Kaspersky is excellent, but can bog down resources sometimes

MSE is great for small machines with low amounts of RAM and netbooks.

Bitdefender is expensive but good

Also you Apple people, you do get viruses, I get many a crying Art students wondering where did their files and programs go. Don't think you are safe just because of Apple :P

MalwareBytes is not an Antivirus per se. It is actually an Anti Malware program.

I personally use Blink Internet Security. Love it, uses hardly any processes, and my system never feels bogged down. It tells me when it is about to scan with a small prompt on the side. It also does alot of Intrusion detection especially for my machine. It pops up with the IP and the information of the attack. It has saved my rear a many time.

I only run with Blink and MalwareBytes Paid. No need for Spybot, it really has gotten kinda bad at detecting some things, but I use it for immunization here and there. I usually like to run a scan with SuperAntiSpyware, it is what we use in my repair center for 40 thousand+ students and staff.

Just as a note, my experience is 7 years in the repair industry, and 2 in the Systems Administration field.

• Like 1

I use Kaspersky internet security, suplimented with Spybot S&D

There has never been a virus/malware program that has been able to cripple my system ever since I made the switch, ever. The compluter is a freaking Fortress.

Honestly, I'm thinking about switching to either Kapersky or BitDefender. Norton, with its bloated interface and computer-controlling functionality, is beginning to annoy me; especially since I've had to go through troubleshooting multiple times to get the damn thing to even open.

I personally use Blink Internet Security. Love it, uses hardly any processes, and my system never feels bogged down. It tells me when it is about to scan with a small prompt on the side. It also does alot of Intrusion detection especially for my machine. It pops up with the IP and the information of the attack. It has saved my rear a many time.

Blink looks really good, but I just can't afford a paid AV. MBAM was on sale for $10 when I got it, but that's about all that's in my tight budget right now.

I run an AVG/MBAM combo (free versions of both). I know AVG has some holes in it, but I couldn't stand the Avast interface. It was almost too protective (I know that sounds great, but when it gets to the point where it finds false viruses on the cds of some computer games and won't let you install them, it gets a little ridiculous haha). On another note, I can't believe how many people use Norton here! Norton is the epitome of inefficient-program-made-to-simply-make-money. I would suggest switching to either the free versions of Avast or AVG - more complete protection, easier interface, and uses less system resources.

Hi,

using Avira Free-AV for about 8 years and never had any problems. It kills all viruses/trojanes. And even if one gets through somehow, I can still kill it with a manual AV-update and a short HDD-check (just last week I've done this at a friend's PC, as he got a trojan that blocked his anti virus to get any automatic updates).

I don't have any other programs installed, because the router firewall keeps anything other out and the Windows firewall keeps in, what should not go outside. Any additional security-software would just slow down the PC without any advantage.

I use Kaspersky internet security, suplimented with Spybot S&D

The compluter is a freaking Fortress.

That is what I used to say, oh and funny story I used to run with Kaspersky and S&D, but I then soon received tons of emails from the IT staff wondering how the hell my machine took down a Datacenter in Germany...

funny-date-girl-guy-true-story-meme.jpg

That and probably because I have 500mbps down and 100mbps up. Yay college internets!

That is what I used to say, oh and funny story I used to run with Kaspersky and S&D, but I then soon received tons of emails from the IT staff wondering how the hell my machine took down a Datacenter in Germany...

funny-date-girl-guy-true-story-meme.jpg

That and probably because I have 500mbps down and 100mbps up. Yay college internets!

Hmmm. I haven't had any of those problems, at leat not that I'm aware of. The system hasn't run smoother since. Different computers act differently I guess?

A datacenter? In Germany? Took down? O_o

Hmmm. I haven't had any of those problems, at leat not that I'm aware of. The system hasn't run smoother since. Different computers act differently I guess?

A datacenter? In Germany? Took down? O_o

College computers become more of a target, so you are in good shape! Campus IPs get targeted all the time. Blink gives me log reports of numerous hacking attempts on my machine, but yeah. I ended up packet flooding a datacenter in Germany. They shut down to stop the attack, My college sent an apology email and sent them a log of the infection on my machine. Thankfully they managed to get the problem solved and no issues were found.

There was a kid 2 years ago who tried hacking NASA. crazy infections xD

Thankfully I have had nothing yet :D

I use Common Sense 2013.

HUR HUR RAPIDTORRENTSHAREFLAREWARE

SEEMS LEGIT

DOWNLOAD MORE RAM NOW

SEEMS LEGIT

Protect yourself from identity theft! Download a keylogger now!

SEEMS LEGIT

FREE SMILEYS

SEEEEMMMSSS LEEEGIIIIITTTT

• Like 2

I use Malwarebytes. My school gives me Sophos but its is absolutly terrible. I have it aswell becuase im to lazy to uninstall it and the IT department yell at me when I do.

HUR HUR RAPIDTORRENTSHAREFLAREWARE

SEEMS LEGIT

DOWNLOAD MORE RAM NOW

SEEMS LEGIT

Protect yourself from identity theft! Download a keylogger now!

SEEMS LEGIT

FREE SMILEYS

SEEEEMMMSSS LEEEGIIIIITTTT

You forgot the ads that say things like this. "You're the 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999th visitor and have won a free blow job from Sarah Palin, click here to make her come to your house".

Those are legit. I would know.

I am currently using a Kaspersky

My Norton has expired (downloaded a free trial, da**!!) but I'll try to buy a Norton anytime soon