Having trouble with a network, need some help

Fox-Shot

Once again, Fox-Shot is here, seeking help in a non-directly tech forum, but oh well. :P

Anyways, today, my laptop randomly stopped being able to receive internet from our router. We have done absolutely nothing to change the network, other than unplugging wires and putting them back as the were, then powering off and on the router. What exactly is happening is that the router is putting out the internet like normal, every device receives it, except my computer, usually Windows Diagnostics will simply reset the NIC in it and it works just fine, but now, it is insisting that I need to reset my DSL Modem. Now our router is pretty much FUBAR, our modem goes into an out port, and the wire going to a different computer goes into the in port. This has previously never been a problem for this laptop, and the NIC itself is not shot, since I can still use the net when I run Ubuntu on the computer instead.

Anyone have an idea what is wrong?

I am no good at networking, but you could try disabling the network driver on the laptop then re-enabling it.

This would be my guess. A Windows driver issue, since you said it works in Ubuntu.

Fixed it, it turns out you need to do more than disable and re-enable them. This turned out to be something with realtek's drivers, after telling my brother about this, he said that pretty much all non-stock/generic network drivers suck now. I had to entirely uninstall the driver and rescan to load it with Microsoft's drivers. Thanks for the help anyways.

A troubleshooting tip for future reference:

Windows networking errors are not absolute. Just because Windows says you need to reset your router doesn't mean that doing so will fix the problem. It's basically Windows' way of saying "I don't know why it is broke." If other machines on the network can access the network, the router is not the problem.

With Wireless networking, this is especially true. Wireless drivers suck. They sometimes don't load properly. I have had several laptops with Intel wireless cards that will occasionally boot and never get an IP address until I reboot. I've seen Realtek drivers fail so hard you need to re-install them. FYI, the drivers delivered through Windows Update are not from Microsoft. They are from the manufacturer, but Microsoft tests them before pushing them out. Because of this, there is often version lag. I've seen them fail, too.

One thing, though, don't ever use the vendor's connection software. I have yet to see one that doesn't suck. The Windows built-in wireless network manager is the best one out there.

A troubleshooting tip for future reference:

Windows networking errors are not absolute. Just because Windows says you need to reset your router doesn't mean that doing so will fix the problem. It's basically Windows' way of saying "I don't know why it is broke." If other machines on the network can access the network, the router is not the problem.

The only reason I ever use the troubleshooter is because many times I needed to reset my NIC and using the troubleshooter when that's the problem will reset the card, which is quicker than going to the device manager and manually doing so. Many people do say that it sucks, but I just use it more as a disabling/re-enabling program. Otherwise It isn't much help to me.

It's not quicker: Start -> Right-Click [My] Comptuer -> Click Manage -> Device Manager then enable/disable. You'll be done in less than 20 seconds.