StarFox 2 Character Select Screens

Falco'sFinest

After just looking at the character selection screen...I wonder why Nintendo decided to take such a simplistic approach when they made SF64 and after. The idea of having a more customized feel to playing the game sounds awesome to me. In fact, thinking back on it, SF 2 sounds like everything I could hope from a StarFox game, period. I am looking forward to trying to play through SF 2 even more after reading your description of how the game plays and how each character has their specialties. Might give me a new bearing on how I would like to conceptualize a new StarFox game...

From what you have played so far, do you think StarFox 2 has a good replay value to it? Is it a relatively long game?

I remember when I first played Star Fox 2, I had no idea that there were usable items. I ended up even more confused because Fox and Falco already had smart bombs, which made me think that it worked like the other Star Fox games (the A button would fire a smart bomb on the SNES). It didn't take long to figure it out; basically you can only hold one type of an item, but you can hold more than one of the same type, and when you pick up a different item, it replaces the one you already have. It's simple to understand, but I didn't expect that from a Star Fox game. I still think its cool that when you use the health item, a healing pod (I have no idea what's it's called) flies in and heals you and then flies away. Anyway, even though Miyu and Fay start with dual blasters, you can get a dual blaster for them that will give them an improved blaster (I think it's called an ion blaster but I haven't seen it yet so i'm not sure). You can also get a dual blaster upgrade for Fox, Falco, Peppy, and Slippy, which will also remain for the rest of the time that you have that character. If your playing on expert, I recommend getting a dual blaster early on in the game, it makes it much easier if you can manage to find one. I'm not sure if they appear on random or not, but I doubt it shows up everytime in the same locations, however I could be wrong. Since you can get a dual blaster for your characters, you don't have to be too picky on which characters you choose, you can get a dual blaster later on if you need it.

Unfortunately while I was typing this, I could of sworn I read something about a shield upgrade and was putting it into my post, but then I found out that there isn't one and had to end up heavily editing my post to remove it. I guess I may of mistaken one of the existing shield power-ups for one that increases your max shield power. I also haven't seen one in the game, so that confirms it even more. Yeah... sorry about the confusion if this causes any. :banghead: (Good thing I caught myself before I posted this reply.)

Holy cow! I was really hoping someone with some StarFox 2 experience would eventually speak up. I did notice the blaster upgrade. I got it once. It seemed to be dropped by some random enemy. I ended up failing on that game. I never found one on the game I completed even though I was keeping my eye out for one. When I got the upgrade, I was either in a battleship or on a planet because I was crawling around one of the "bases" or whatever you want to call them. I also remember that I didn't expect it because it appeared to be a regular item (to my untrained eye). I remember thinking I was just getting a shield recovery (blue sphere) item and the voice announced I had a "weapon upgrade" or something along those lines. I wish I had noticed what the item looked like.

Was it ever discovered if the Pepper coins unlocked anything? I wasn't able to find anything in my internet searches other than the possibility that the reward wasn't "activated" on the ROM that's available. I found several but I don't think I ever noticed anything other than a shield recovery.

As far as I know, there isn't really any known purpose to the Pepper coins besides the fact that they replenish your shields back to full power. I don't really know anything else about them, heck i'm not even sure how many Pepper coins are there in total to collect. Sorry, if I knew more about them and what they are there for, I would tell you, but honestly I don't know. I have been wondering however, since they won't reappear after you pick them up, would erasing the records through the records menu bring them back, or would you have to erase the whole data file? It would be easy to get them back on a emulator since all you have to do is just delete the game save data file, but I can't say the same for a reproduction cartridge.

If you want a picture of what the dual blaster item looks like, I can go and play the game later and get a screenshot of it. I won't mind if you ask, I'd rather get a screenshot of it myself then just get a random one somewhere off the internet. :-)

Yea actually that would be fantastic! So far I have found plenty of bombs, healing items, and shields but I've only found that blaster upgrade once.

Sadly that is pretty much the word on the Pepper coins. I think they are just for collection in their current capacity.

EDIT: Here is a picture from a StarFox Wiki: http://strategywiki....tar_Fox_2/Items

SF2_Twin_Blaster_Item_Capsule.png

That would explain why I initially thought it was just a recovery capsule. It says they are found "on the surface of most planets, but they will sometimes be dropped by enemies."

Alright, I got a couple of screenshots of what it looks like in-game. I might as well upload them. I killed an enemy that dropped it and had to fly back, and I could only get those photos before I flew into it. :lol:

EDIT: Had no idea that the attached images would be members only. Perhaps the ones below will be better? :-)

Star_Fox_2_Beta_TD_J_o1_00019.pngStar_Fox_2_Beta_TD_J_o1_00020.png