Does Aspbergers really exist?

The Green Fox

I think aspbergers syndrome has been created by society in order to replace the "nerd" label. There is no clear cut definition, except that they have trouble picking up social cues, are knowledgeable about unusual things, and are often skilled in one area but not skilled in other basic areas. These are, in my humble opinion, simply traits of different kinds of people. Society felt a need to lump all these traits together. These people are just geeks and nerds or people who view the world differently. Why should anyone make them feel even more isolated by attributing mental illness to otherwise sane but eccentric people?

For further info, read this article which backs up my theories:

http://josephweisenthal.com/post/119024660/why-asperger-syndrome-is-a-myth

Oh lord, here we go again.

Alright, People smarter than me with GED's in this kind of thing, GET OVER HERE.

• Like 2

I'm a nerd and I don't have aspbergers but I do have high anxiety... so no I disagree with this.

except that they have trouble picking up social cues, are knowledgeable about unusual things, and are often skilled in one area but not skilled in other basic areas

And I do all these things.

I'm a nerd and I don't have aspbergers but I do have high anxiety... so no I disagree with this.

except that they have trouble picking up social cues, are knowledgeable about unusual things, and are often skilled in one area but not skilled in other basic areas

And I do all these things.

Which means that you might eventually encounter people who insist you have Aspbergers, which is exactly my point.

It's unfair to label you as someone with Aspbergers. That was my whole point.

You're just unique, like everyone else. Maybe we're blocking ourselves from receiving knowledge from people due to silly labels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers

/thread

__

This thread seems that it could be construed as a bit of an insult for those who are diagnosed with this disorder IMO; I'm not entirely sure if there is a large discussion value here...

Its not a label for nerds and "eccentrics." Its a real disorder that if caught early and treated early can sigfinicantly improve the outcome of the individual. I have it, have under gone social skills training, special education, and extensive help/ support/ advocacy from my parents and have been blessed with understanding and receptive teachers.

There is aspergers. I have it. It most certainly exists.

Aspergers is in the autism spectrum from what I've heard. When I was in high school, they thought I had it but turns out to be high functioning autism (between Autism and Aspergers, the later being closer to "normal".)

You can say that "it doesnt exist, they're just different", about just about ANY mental disorder. Luckily for us, there's a talented panel of psychologists who are well versed in the way the brain functions who decide through MUCH trial and error, what's a disorder and what isn't. There's a whole manual, called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, that all psychologists agree on. In most cases though, you'll find that they DO agree with you, and that the emergence of certain disorders is every bit as caused by society as some disorders that are purely and simply biological.

I could go on forever, and that's just what I learned in a week of a PSY101 class, and my final was on psychological disorders.

However, I have chosen to lock this topic until a proper staff review can be made as to whether it should remain open for discussion.

• Like 2