Did you know gaming?: Starfox

Scourge

Egoraptor talks to us about some things most people dont know about the Starfox series.

Cool find, but sadly I didn't learn anything new. Maybe I'm just too much of a StarFox geek. XD

Cool find, but sadly I didn't learn anything new. Maybe I'm just too much of a StarFox geek. XD

Same here my friend, i've got too much of a fandom for Starfox.

Never will let it go, not even if they never make another game.

• Like 1

Also, just to clarify....am I crazy or wasn't it also said that the models for the SNES were originally only designed that way so they could stand up right or something? (which doesn't really make too much sense because they could've just gotten them standing up in another way in the background, since they were shot using whatever kind of chroma key compositing) But if that really IS the case then we have another case of retconing, which actually was very lucky since it works either way.

Well, l think it's because most of the audience from 64, at the time of release, were kids who were more interested in the game rather than the story. Now that taht audience grew up, it looks at things a different way.

But honestly, I prefer them with normal legs. It would seem like way too much. Plus, the G-Diffuser is already known universally in the fandom and the theory of the "pilot suit with thight leg clothing" it's a little bit more sane.

Memory serves, the G-diffuser also serves as the ship's powerplant, and help forms the shield around the ship that causes the awring to bounce off of whatever it hits, instead of what would happen without it (firey explosion)

Thank you for sharing this, scourgeclaw. It contained much information I did not know about. I had no idea that a Starfox game was, at one point, in development for the Virtualboy, and for the most part I have not pondered over the fact that Fox's feet early on in the franchise were metallic. I thought they looked rather strange, but somehow that never really registered in my brain as robotic.

Interesting find!

Starfox on Virtual Boy:

While I have seen this footage, nowhere in the video is it explicitly stated to be a Star Fox title. Do we know if it was a Star Fox title for sure? Any literature? My thoughts were it just being a flying tech demo with no series attached to it. It maybe could have evolved into a Star Fox title if the VB wasn't a flop, but I'm not convinced it was intended to be a Star Fox title.

Amputations:

I still don't know the original source for this. I have reason to believe it comes from SNES lore, as I had heard it many years ago (though the reasoning being because digitgrade feet can't operate planes, which makes more sense that the G-Force reasons). The legs are not "clearly robotic" in later games. They could plausibly be metal boots, and later games did follow with normal feel. Regardless of Rare, they maintained this trait in design, thus this claim is retconned out at best.

Also, G-Diffusers coming in SF64 is false. I have multiple SNES-era sources that clearly show the Arwing is equipped with G-Diffusers.

Also, G-Diffusers coming in SF64 is false. I have multiple SNES-era sources that clearly show the Arwing is equipped with G-Diffusers.

The G-diffusers are the blue pods mounted on the side of the main hull, above and (post Starfox 2) below the wing mounts.

True they've been present in every rendition of the arwing, but that dosent mean they were actually the G-diffuser, beforehand they could've just been part of the design to add a few more polygons to the original Starfox's arwing model. Nintendo may have added in the concept of the G-diffusers in to lose the idea of the amputated legs to make the series a little more kid-friendly.

That was one of the most poorly researched video I've seen about Starfox.. :( No offense scourge.

What's with that amputee thing seriously ?

I can't understand why people bought that rumor.. And each time someone try to prove that theory, they use the articulated puppets from the snes game box art.. *facepalm*

The G-diffusers are the blue pods mounted on the side of the main hull, above and (post Starfox 2) below the wing mounts.

True they've been present in every rendition of the arwing, but that dosent mean they were actually the G-diffuser, beforehand they could've just been part of the design to add a few more polygons to the original Starfox's arwing model. Nintendo may have added in the concept of the G-diffusers in to lose the idea of the amputated legs to make the series a little more kid-friendly.

Nope, DZ is right I can confirm, in the official guidebook, and all the promotional material for starfox snes, the g-diffuser is present and works the same way as in the n64 version.

Nope, DZ is right I can confirm, in the official guidebook, and all the promotional material for starfox snes, the g-diffuser is present and works the same way as in the n64 version.

Fair enough. Was just a theory.

What's with that amputee thing seriously ?

I can't understand why people bought that rumor.. And each time someone try to prove that theory, they use the articulated puppets from the snes game box art.. *facepalm*

Uhh... wasnt it confirmed from somewhere where nintendo actually came out and said: "HAI GAIZ, DERE LEGZ R ROBITS LAWL" --?

That was one of the most poorly researched video I've seen about Starfox.. :( No offense scourge.

None taken man, I didnt make the video, and therefore have no emotional investment in it. I noticed Egoraptor was doing the voice-over, and seeing how popular Egoraptor is with the interwebz, I decided to share.

Uhh... wasnt it confirmed from somewhere where nintendo actually came out and said: "HAI GAIZ, DERE LEGZ R ROBITS LAWL" --?

Well if it was, I never heard of it.

If that was the case, I'd think they would have written that in the manual, like in SuperMario on NES where it explained that blocks were people cursed by Bowser (or King Koopa at the time if I'm correct). Also, in the Nintendo Power comics, in the last chapters, most citizens on Papetoon had those metallic boots, without being pilots. It would have made too many persons with robotic legs with no real purpose. It looks more like a fashion trend or something.

And really, I think Fox would have robotic legs in Adventures and all following games if that was part of his design. Even in SF643D he didn't have such legs. These are metallic boots, not legs.

I noticed Egoraptor was doing the voice-over, and seeing how popular Egoraptor is with the interwebz, I decided to share.

I can't help but wonder if that's a problem. As much as I respect Egoraptor and the NormalBoots team, will people investigate more and find the real thing or will they stay there and believe everything they watched and heard without critism? Most veteran fans of Starfox won't be affected, but young fans may be. I've already seen many people on dA falling for that. It was a small theory, not widely spread. But now this video with not enough documentation will make it true to a larger part of gamers/internets not realizing it is false or at least not proven with undeniable fact.

As of when did this "robotic legs" rumor come out, I suppose it's a young boy/girl who spotted a SNES starfox artwork and said "OMG FOXZ LEGZ LOOK LIEK METAL!! THEIR ROBOTIK!!" and spread the word on the web, without knowing that all the SNES artwork is based on puppets.

• Like 1

And to further disprove that stupid theory that the team members in the SNES canon have robotic legs, take a look at Falco's legs from this one page from the NP comic:

http://arwinglanding.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=44

And the upper scene in this wouldn't really had much sense

http://arwinglanding.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=105

I chickened-out on my video response to that. Perhaps I should actually upload it, though it will take hours. Stupid TWC slow upload speeds.

I remember hearing that this amputee thing came from SNES lore somewhere. I've heard it many times, even back during my OTG and lylat.net days. I've just never heard WHERE it came from. I have heard the SF Nintendo Power issue, but I actually have that, and it is not there.

WUT. Dude, I thought I was the Star Fox geek. I have so much new info to swap with all my gaming buddies.

• Like 1

WUT. Dude, I thought I was the Star Fox geek. I have so much new info to swap with all my gaming buddies.

Just don't spread that stupid false leg amputation rumor. M'kay? : P

I chickened-out on my video response to that. Perhaps I should actually upload it, though it will take hours. Stupid TWC slow upload speeds.

I remember hearing that this amputee thing came from SNES lore somewhere. I've heard it many times, even back during my OTG and lylat.net days. I've just never heard WHERE it came from. I have heard the SF Nintendo Power issue, but I actually have that, and it is not there.

MFP_009.jpg

Fair enough.