Basic recording studio hardware/software?

sroberson

Alright so I'm a complete beginner in recording hardware/software for say, a rock band. I don't know what hardware to look for, software, or really even how best to use it. The only thing I have touched is a pretty crappy computer microphone and Audacity and that obviously isn't very good quality stuff there. Anyone out there have some suggestions for an introduction low to middle budget recording rig and a pretty good "idiots guide" to recording basics?

Much appreciated! :D

Software side I can recommend one free tool: Audacity. Incredibly powerful software, and entirely open source. Hardware side, I don't really know. I use a Roland UA-4FX USB soundcard plus a small Behringer mixer for my DJ gigs.

I would recommend either Audacity or Goldwave. Just to also inform Goldwave is free as well. While Audacity can record and edit audio, Goldwave can do the same as well as convert audio files such as iTunes into MP3. Though I'm not really sure if Audacity can do that too since I'm not that well into audio software.

Are you recording the entire band at once? Because if you are, you'll need a whole mess of likely prohibitively expensive gear to get anything above utter crap.

If you're not, then hardware-wise I might recommend This Shure SM58 microphone and X2u USB Signal Adapter bundle package here. The bundle allows you to record from a standard (pro XLR type) mic directly into a computer's USB port. The whole package will set you back around $200, but that's a damn good deal to get at least a semi-professional sound with just the computer. You will however need to buy stands and mic accessories separately though. This only works with one mic at a time.

Software wise, Audacity is probably the best freeware program you'll find out there, and it's very good even compared to professional level programs, for simple recording and audio editing at least. Depending on if you've got a Mac or PC, there are other more complete software options. If you have a Mac, then it should already come with Garageband preinstalled, and that'll work pretty well for basic mixing, effects and editing. If you have a little more money to burn, then you might be able to go for a more complete DAW (Digital Audio Workspace) program. I use Logic Pro on a Mac for instance, and I like it, a lot, very much so (costs $200 now).

The PC is inherently going to have a little bit of a harder time getting decent recording software, mostly because There's so much proprietary audio software being hogged by the Mac, leaving Windows in the dust so to speak.

There really isn't any easy way to go about this. Audio gear and software is expensive. You can get cheap gear that sounds horrible and/or is difficult to use, or you can pay through the nose and get gear that sounds decent, or pay through the nose for horrible gear, thus falling victim to one of the many scam products in the market that prey on those who don't know any better.

Thanks guys!

Lonewolf: I guess next on my list of things to do is to put together a real computer with sound cards lol. Built in sound chips and a crappy old analog speaker input is a no go.

Chaos: Yeah I figured it would be horribly expensive to go "all the way" with the equipment. At the moment I am just wanting to record individual tracks for guitars, bass, etc. and have an environment to be able to tweak with the individual tracks. I guess the part that worries me most with purchasing hardware is buying stuff that I can't use without buying something else only to later find that I am several hundred dollars down the hole and still no usable gear. I wasn't sure if I bought a mic if I had to go buy some other equipment to plug it in to, mixing boards, etc. I really am a total noob :-/...

I guess I should ask something along the lines of "If I were to start from the ground up slowly buying decent hardware and software, what would I start with and 'finish' with?"

Very important question first: Mac or PC? The answer will dictate which software I'll recommend.

I guess I should ask something along the lines of "If I were to start from the ground up slowly buying decent hardware and software, what would I start with and 'finish' with?"

This might help you. http://www.easy-home-recording.com/recording-equipment.html

My dad uses a very similar setup. The only thing I might contest would be needing a cheap mixer. I like my Behringer one that I use when I play live: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UB1002FX.aspx

That's what you'd need if you wanted several audio inputs at once, e.g. a live group.

Get an Audio Interface. Look for ASIO support or some similar low-latency driver option. Don't buy anything labeled "sound card." Buy something labeled "Audio Interface."

If you use a built-in or gaming soundcard for audio production, you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm serious, the latency will be the death of your recordings if you do anything multi-track.

Very important question first: Mac or PC? The answer will dictate which software I'll recommend.

PC, at the moment. I have grudgingly accepted the fact I might be looking at a Mac in this scenario though. So depending on how good the software is compared to the PC and how easy it is to come across and learn I might get a Mac.

This might help you. http://www.easy-home...-equipment.html

My dad uses a very similar setup. The only thing I might contest would be needing a cheap mixer. I like my Behringer one that I use when I play live: http://www.behringer...s/UB1002FX.aspx

That's what you'd need if you wanted several audio inputs at once, e.g. a live group.

Thanks for the website! It looks pretty noob friendly and comprehensive from a glance over lol.

Get an Audio Interface. Look for ASIO support or some similar low-latency driver option. Don't buy anything labeled "sound card." Buy something labeled "Audio Interface."

If you use a built-in or gaming soundcard for audio production, you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm serious, the latency will be the death of your recordings if you do anything multi-track.

Are the standard audio TRS input/output jacks acceptable for recording? Or is there a better interface like USB, Midi? (or whatever else). I haven't been graphic card hunting in ever, so this will definitely be a bit new territory.

Are the standard audio TRS input/output jacks acceptable for recording? Or is there a better interface like USB, Midi? (or whatever else). I haven't been graphic card hunting in ever, so this will definitely be a bit new territory.

I'm trying not to cringe at reading this.

1) the 1/8'' TRS jack that comes built into your computer probably isn't the best bet. By that I mean if you try to record something through that teeny tiny little jack and its dainty compact components, even with a decent mic on the other end, you're going to have clipping problems (ripping screeching ear-bleeding static, and not the good kind) out the wazoo as your rocking rock band sounds overvolt the poor little thing built into your computer. Please spare your computer (and your ears) from that trauma.

2) MIDI does not make sound. Let me repeat that: MIDI Does Not Make Sound!

MIDI instead makes code, binary code, ones and zeroes. MIDI is an encoding language used throughout the audio/music industry as a means for MIDI compatible instruments/controllers to communicate with one another, and also with computers and their programs as well. You can hook up a MIDI device to a computer, like a keyboard with a MIDI out, provided you have a MIDI interface and the drivers installed on you computer to translate that MIDI signal into a form your computer can understand, but that's only the first link in the chain. Furthermore, you would also need a program, like a DAW, that can understand the digitized MIDI signal, and use that signal to issue direct commands to a function in the program, like play a series of notes on a digital synthesizer or sample bank. That's kind of the system I have set up for my Keyboard and Logic Pro. MIDI can be used to talk between compatible instruments/devices, but, it does not make sound.

3) there are specialized rigs available for computers that allow for multichannel inputs, basically a super beefed up sound card, but they're expensive

My dad uses a very similar setup. The only thing I might contest would be needing a cheap mixer. I like my Behringer one that I use when I play live: http://www.behringer...s/UB1002FX.aspx

Ohhh, such a cute little mixer! :-P You just want to snuggle up with it and make ridiculous noises at it like a kitten XD

But seriously, if you're looking for something digital with a multitrack interface, that will send multiple tracks of audio signal into the computer (what you'd need to record a live group), then that'll be expensive. Not to mention the fact that you'd need, at minimum, a drum mic kit, an additional microphone or two (depending on instrumentation), and a whole mess of the necessary cables and accessories. makin' music aint cheap, man.

That's called using the built-in soundcard. As I said:

You need an Audio Interface.

Got a Desktop PC with an available PCI slot? Pick up something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-delta-1010-lt-pci-digital-audio-computer-interface (this is the one I use)

Laptop? Don't want to mess with the inside of your PC?

Got FireWire (1394)? Pick up something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-firestudio-mobile-10x6-firewire-recording-system

USB? Unless USB 3.0, I'm not sure how well the latency will be, but they do make 'em, and it is bound to be better than built-in by a long shot:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-fast-track-pro-mobile-usb-interface-with-pro-tools-se

USB and FireWire Audio Intefaces pop-up on the used market regularly if you're looking to save some money.

You also mentioned crappy computer mic. Nope.avi.

This mic is a great starting point: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/shure-sm57-instrument-vocal-mic Not perfect for every situation, but I don't think a better general-purpose mic has been made. And it's not a budget-buster, either. Even the US President uses this mic on his podium (Every one since LBJ).

As far as software, Reaper is a decent starting-out DAW. It's cheap, and it fully supports VST, which all the big DAWs support so you can transfer your plugins over when you graduate to something better. http://www.reaper.fm/

If you know you will want to move up, Steinberg offers a basic version of Cubase, Cubase Essentials, for a reasonable price. You can then upgrade later if need-be. I use Cubase myself (The full version, though, not Essentials or Artist).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like i'll be considering a new computer and microphones at the very least. I am currently trying to figure out how to set up a recording area, but had a neat idea of making the padding on the walls adjustable using velcro so I can swap out panels, add more, take away, experiment with different mediums (I understand metal could provide a treble boost). Thoughts?

I have to admit, DZ, Cubase looks pretty attractive as I was thinking of getting a bit into electronic/techno to experiment with. Only thing I worry a bit about is drum parts on a keyboard...I haven't run into or heard of any, but are there such things as MIDI input for electric drum sets? I for some reason could picture playing that better

Thanks everyone! :)

They make everything from drum pads that are essentially panels with 8 square drumming surfaces to full-fledged kit setups with pads for bass, snare, toms, and cymbals arranged as a real drumkit would be, and everything in between.

Cheap percussion controllers run $150-$200 US, while the full kits can cost thousands. http://www.musicians...lectronic-drums

Cubase has a drum part editor, though, that allows you to enter drum parts without need to record them on a MIDI device.

I know nothing about room acoustics, so sorry.

Make sure you get an audio interface for that computer. There are companies who build specialized music PCs. http://www.reyniersaudio.com/ is an example. (I have ZERO experience with any DAW box builder, as I custom build my DAW boxes.)

One day when I have a better-paying job I'm going to build me a new DAW box based on AMD's Operon server CPUs and a fuckton of RAM. One day...

I've been eyeing some cheaper sets for about $1k, but I get nervous about their performance and every time I go to guitar center I notice people just showing off and I suddenly feel terrible about buying the instrument. Might have to just bite the bullet...

I was actually trying to find the sound cards that you were talking about earlier but couldn't find anything on newegg or musiciansfriend. Guess everyone is going for a USB or FireWire solution regarding recording solutions. At least budget solutions.

Oh and just a shot in the dark, but anyone worked with the software packaged included with Ubuntu Studio? I haven't gotten around to it, but the DAW software and recording stuff looked pretty dang good for open source

If you can't find an audio interface on Musicans Friend, you're doing it wrong. Check my post earlier, all my links were for Musicians Friend.

As much as I hate to say it, don't build a Linux box. The Open Source DAWs are seriously lacking right now.

It's a shame because Linux, properly configured, could damn-well be the best OS for the job if the DAW apps were there.