Nintendo Power ceasing publication.

Star Fox Runner

I was browsing around on Kotaku when I found this.

http://kotaku.com/5936628/report-nintendo-power-shutting-down

I'm really sad about this, I love that magazine, I've subscribed to it for the past 3 years. I've kept each subscription that I've received, and a buddy of mine gave me a ton of the releases from the 90s.

R.I.P Nintendo Power.

Aw man! I never really collected these but I think I have a rad issue from '92 or something, somewhere in storage. Man, the stuff you used to find in these magazines were amazing! I didn't really get into playing games until the internet was pretty much everywhere but before that I can imagine scores of kids across the world poring through these magazines to figure out how the hell to finish their games. While it's of course sad to see a cornerstone of the games magazine industry go, I can see why it happened. People really don't buy games magazines anymore outside of games magazine enthusiasts, and the state of games journalism really leaves something to be desired anyway. With the internet providing basically the same service (outside of rad posters and other magazine bonus goodies) it's no wonder these mags are going under.

RIP, Nintendo Power!

EDIT: Man I even forgot about the comics they used to run. Those owned - did they do any past the mid-nineties?

That's some pretty bad news. I wasn't a subscriber, because it didn't print in French when I was a kid.

But I read quite a few of the older ones while looking for old Starfox stuff.

The thing I remember the NP magazines for is without doubt the Starfox 1993 comics. :)

Too bad they stopped doing comics pretty soon.

They were pretty cool back in the early days from what I can tell, though the newer magazines were vastly losing in the quality department. I can't say that I'm sad to see them go as I never had any personal experience with them, but it is a shame to lose a bit of culture nonetheless.

Aw that sucks, though I never really read them much as I wasn't really into games that much when I was younger.

I had a couple of years of subscriptions back in the mid 90's before the web really started to take root. This was a must to have for Nintendo games. Later on they started to put ad's in their mags...wasn't a fan of that.

In any case they had a good run.

This makes me a bit sad too...I recall getting copies of Nintendo Power back when the Gamecube first came out. Didn't own a Gamecube, and I always seemed to be a generation behind on the Gameboys...but for some reason I enjoyed flipping through the magazine and seeing it all.

R.I.P. Nintendo Power.

I've been a subscriber to Nintendo Power since December of 2008 and since then I have kept every issue that I got. A friend of mine even gave me some of his issues he had. One of them being issue #161 which was the Star Fox Adventures issue. Going through the pages again really brings out a sense of nostalgia such as articles talking about the Wii before it was released or ones talking about who was gonna be in the roster in Super Smash Bros Brawl. Its kind of sad hearing that there won't be anymore issues coming out, then again it was expected what with gaming news as well as gaming itself going digital.

This gives me a good reason why I shouldn't throw these out.

while it seems to go against popular opinion...i never cared much for them... they gave away to much info before and after having played games... but eh

I just got word that this years December issue will be the last.

That sucks. I probably have some stuff from the 90's stowed away in my basement. I think I also have the Advantures issue, maybe. :U

I live in Europe so I don't care. But I do want to read all the starfox issues. I want to find them online but I can't find them. :(

I live in Europe so I don't care. But I do want to read all the starfox issues. I want to find them online but I can't find them. :(

I'd point you to retromags.com , but the admin has gone completely insane and forces us to sign up for an hosting plan to download the magazines :S Plus he made gmail an invalid email provider to sign up with...

I'd point you to retromags.com , but the admin has gone completely insane and forces us to sign up for an hosting plan to download the magazines :S Plus he made gmail an invalid email provider to sign up with...

Thanks, I managed to download 2 magazine's there lol. But It only has about 100 issues. I need the later ones lol.

If anyone can find the issues from the gamecube era onwards online, please let me know.

I really like Nintendo Power, and have been subscribed for several years, so this saddens me. But, I agree, it was inevitable considering the current nature of publication.

The mag serves no purpose anymore. Sure, we can get plenty from blogs, but Nintendo themselves have brought forward their own weekly news reels for all of their consoles via Nintendo Direct, so the mag must feel slightly redundant for the news, considering Nintendo knows it has plenty of other, more cost effective, outlets.

It's been a long while since any special posters or comics have been printed, so the only thing missing will be reviews, but most gamers today claim to barely pay attention to mag reviews when deciding on getting a game, and bloggers have a habit of being better at that, anyway.

Oh well. RIP Nintendo Power!

If Nintendo power is ceasing publication, what about Nintendo's game guides? Some of those were under the Nintendo Power label.

Funny hearing this too, because in the box of my 3DS was a subscription pamphlet for guess what: Nintendo Power.