Arwing Landing anyone?

TCPeppyTc

I am just curious if any of you really use Arwing Landing or even know what it exactly is?

It seems very similar to Star Fox Online, except maybe older and not used as much anymore? Does anyone still use it and is it worth taking a look at?

TCPeppy

It is one of the other, larger Star Fox fansites out there, but I believe the site has gone downward in recent times; users have left, activity has stagnated, etc. I'm not too well versed on the matter though, so take what I've just said with a grain of salt.

I made a topic similar to this:

Not many people use AL anymore. There are some of those users who still check up on it every once in a while, but its got a measly amount of activity going on.

The original SF-O pre-dated Arwing Landing by a few months according to archive.org. I can't speak much for SF-O back during that time, as I came here later, but during its heyday, AL was definitely bigger. I got my start in the fandom at a board called "OTG." The site behind OTG is still up: http://sfx64.com/ (There is some great classic fanart and fanfics here, I should probably crawl that site to make sure it isn't lost) , but it looks like the forum finally actually died. Drama destroyed OTG's community, I think there were like 5 active members last time I visited it. Starfox.org (Dermot's site) collapsed earlier, and the spin-off Lylat.Net hung around for a while before one of the admins went apeshit and deleted everything, insta-killing that community. This was when I discovered AL and SF-O. I was more active at AL at first, but I like what SF-O had. Then, the previous owners abandoned the site. Mr. Krystal and I saved it and turned it into what it is today.

There were some splinter sites out there that grew around the edges of the SF fanbase, but I think the KLA is the last one standing, and it is closing if it hasn't already.

It's a low point in this fanbase, that's for sure. Nintendo can fix this if they give the series some love, but we'll see. That said, there will always be an English-Language Star Fox site if I have anything to say about it.

I need to get off my ass and make SF-O have at least content parity with AL. Or at least what they had. AL is showing the White Page of PHP Fatal Error Death.

• Like 2

Yeah, the main page went offline when the admin stopped administering it.

AL was pretty good for its run though, I had a lot of fun there. Kinda sad to see it like it is now but in the end it was the lack of new content that put it in the freezer, that and people just growing out of the fandom, and people signing up for more active sites to discuss starfox. Can't complain, I made a lot of friends there.

Yeah, the KLA is closing at the end of this year. I had a unique and particular memorable run there as an admin at one point. I've been trying to get some of their members to come over here after the site has closed if they are interested. Maybe we should also try the same thing with AL members.

AL was the first Starfox forum I joined, I never really integrated that much there. I think one of the thing that didn't help the site maintain itself was probably the attitude some people had with newcomers. But most people were really sympathetic once you got to know them a little better !

Maybe it would be worth it to move AL's content over to SFO ? SteathFox might agree with that, given the fact that I doubt he'll pay the hosting bill forever.

Yeah, the KLA is closing at the end of this year. I had a unique and particular memorable run there as an admin at one point. I've been trying to get some of their members to come over here after the site has closed if they are interested. Maybe we should also try the same thing with AL members.

I'm pretty sure most of us that would move already did. But it might be worth a try.

IIRC I found SFO through AL. That was back in November 2008 or so. I remember AL being very populated at least in comparison to SFO at the time.

I actually find the people on AL to be more snooty then the ones here. The ones here are more friendly. Maybe that's because we've got admins here that are stricter and less drama goes on.

Yeah, aL has quite some relaxed rules. And I concur with Psy's statement on some of aL's members' attitudes seeming a bit ehh sometimes, heh. I don't mean any offense towards aL and its members, though, nah, it's a good place.

I found SFO through aL, too, in early 2009, right after I became a Star Fox fan. And yes, it seemed quite a bit more active than SFO at that time, but I could be wrong.